Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A NOID  (Read 39860 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A NOID
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2004, 08:23:09 AM »

We're having our last day of moderate temperatures. Supposed to get up to 68 today - 48 tomorrow. Yikes, what a shock to the system!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2004, 08:24:26 AM »

All right, I am off to the Oaks of Sherman and once there I will post until the cows come home or until tonight's Unseemly Live Chat.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2004, 08:24:31 AM »

I agree a lot with WHAT'S UP, DOC and its country cousin BRINGING UP BABY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2004, 09:17:48 AM »

I think I would add Laurel and Hardy's THE MUSIC BOX to my list of laugh-out-loud films.

It is snowing here again and I fear we will all be trapped at work...trapped like rats on the 5th floor of the Justice buidling with snow piling up outside. I'm thinking this would have been a nice day to stay home curled up on the counch watching movies!  ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2004, 09:18:27 AM »

Glad to see you back Ben!

Jason

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2004, 09:20:52 AM »

Sneaking a post from MTI...hope I don't get caught!

I'm in an unspeakably bad mood today and I don't know why...probably because I slept quite poorly and it's disgustingly gross and wet out. It wasn't raining when I left my apartment but boy, oh, boy! When I got off the subway for my six block trek to MTI, of course, the torrential downpour began, so I had to buy a new umbrella, for which I was basically raped...$10 for a black umbrella that reads "I (HEART) NY" on it... I look like a tourist.

The phones honestly have not stopped ringing since I got here and the people on the other end of the line are by far the dumbest bunch of folks our fine nation has to offer. ME: "What state are you calling from?" THEM: "Chicago." Uh-huh...

I received a call from the postal inspection lady...the search is on for the person or persons who took my copy of the Merman autobio and other things. Beware, oh ye thieves of correspondence!

Ugh, these damned phones!

Funniest play I've ever seen: NOISES OFF. I howled and cried and hooted and hollered. I think I embarrassed my theatre companions. :-\

Funniest movies: AUNTIE MAME, AIRPLANE!, WAITING FOR GUFFMAN, NOISES OFF! and THE BRADY BUNCH MOVIE.

Jason

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2004, 09:21:32 AM »

Oh, yes...WELCOME BACK BEN AND ANTHONY! We missed you...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2004, 09:30:16 AM »

Welcome back Ben & Anthony.   :D

Trapped by snow on the 5th floor....that really is DEEP, DRMbarnum!  :o

DRJason - I hope it is a folding umbrella.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 09:31:19 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2004, 09:36:34 AM »

Jason: Don't get caught!

Oh, and WEHT Maya and Craig?  Have they run off together?

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2004, 09:37:48 AM »

THE  BRADY BUNCH MOVIE, oh my gosh, I forgot about that one! Yes, that was hilarious!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2004, 09:46:18 AM »

...der Brucer (wondering if BK will posit why if we have "incarnations" we don't have "outpetunias"?)
Because it's "outpansies," silly.  I guess I'm going to have to take over the gardening, after all.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »

DRJason - I hope it is a folding umbrella.  ;D

Ew.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2004, 09:53:05 AM »

"I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT..."

Hey, a Tim Burton reference!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2004, 09:54:53 AM »

Show one is ALMOST locked.  One last little note which, in fact, is putting something back I had in the very first week I began cutting.  And that, as they say, is the way of TV

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2004, 09:58:51 AM »

It is very drippy here in Delaware.  Still, I had a very cheery session with my shrink, who agrees that the meds I'm on can interfere with things like ambition and artistic drive.  I also gave him some cookies.

Sometime today, or tomorrow, I've got to see about getting a haircut.  I'm beginning to look like the Surreal Gourmet, and that's not good.

Jason

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2004, 10:00:18 AM »

I knew several people in college who had noids. They had to be put on vocal rest, which was a blessing for us all, I assure you, for they were truly a-noiding. ;-)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2004, 10:01:48 AM »

Good morning/afternoon!

Boy did I sleep in!  And boy did I need it!  When I finally looked over at my clock radio it said 12:00 - on the dot!  So I have a couple of hours to dawdle - and do some work - before heading into rehearsal at 5:00.  And now that I've slept on it....

-And most of these will sound familiar...

Theatre: Noises Off, A... My Name Is Alice (there are some funny bits in there), and a really bad-it-was-so-good community theatre production of The Music Man (I've never seen so many lines of people on stage.. so often - and I wasn't the only one laughing)

Movies: Waiting for Guffman, What's Up Doc?, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World (was that enough "Mad's"?), and a few others I can't think of right now.

DR Jason - I'm amazed you did not list DOTV?!?!?

Oh, and don't get caught!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2004, 10:03:50 AM »

Hey, DR MBarnum - I wouldn't mind spending the afternoon on a couch watching movies with you either. :-P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2004, 10:09:17 AM »

Welcome back, DRs Ben & Ant!
Make Your Own Luck.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2004, 10:10:11 AM »

BK, I'm here...Craig should be so lucky as to have run off with me!  ;)

I was out for most of yesterday with Dear Best Friend Isis...she treated me to a belated birthday lunch at Bennigan's.  Bennigan's has the best frou-frou drinks in all the land...we shared this huge glass of something called a Sapphire Splash.  Mmm...I looove being 21...not that I abuse the privilege or anything.  I never drink anything heavy.

Then we went to see Something's Gotta Give, which I thought was just faboo.  If Diane Keaton doesn't get an Oscar nomination for her work, then something is wrong.  I loved Jack Nicholson's performance too....he parodied his image with grace and wit.

Damn, we can't include musicals??  Well, the funniest plays I've actually seen (meaning they made me laugh the hardest) are "Noises Off," "The Tale of the Allergist's Wife", and "The Women."

For movies, anything by Woody Allen or Mel Brooks cracks me up..."Sleeper" and "Love and Death" are great choices, BK!  Have you guys been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm?  Oh, so funny.

Jason--feel better!  Oh wow...someone on the postal staff stole your Merman autobiog?  Wow.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2004, 10:12:48 AM »

WELCOME HOME,
BEN AND ANTHONY!

Back in the early 80s, when I was working as a travel agent and tour conductor, I took a group to London for a Theater Tour.  Just before we left for the tour, our wholesaler in England substituted a new play for the show we were scheduled to see.  My group was not very happy about the switch to some unknown British comedy, and I was prepared for a lot of negative comments after we returned from the theater.  The show, of course, was Noises Off, and our agency ended up pulling off quite a coup by being one of the first American travel groups to discover the show.

Other plays:
Black Comedy,
Lend Me a Tenor,
Mary Mary (gasping at a bowl of dried apricots,
 “I thought they were ears.”)

Films:
Blazing Saddles
Bob and Carol, Ted and Alice
Auntie Mame
Airplane
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2004, 10:15:20 AM »

Drippy in Delaware - isn't that a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie?

We always miss Miss Maya - and I'm glad you haven't run off with Craig.

Jason

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2004, 10:17:02 AM »

Jose: I didn't think we were allowed to do musicals... In that case, then yes--most definitely DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES. I laughed until I cried and nearly wet myself during the intermission. It was so heinous I had to see it five times.

URBAN COWBOY, however, was not laughable...it was just heinous and painful to watch. HAIRSPRAY gave me some good laughs (legit laughs...funny "haha"...not funny "yikes") as did WICKED, and AVENUE Q (which I've only seen on video, but not on any video that I own, I promise you) was hilarious as well.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2004, 10:35:35 AM »

Two More for the movie list:

Take the Money and Run
The Laine Kazan scene in My Favorite Year

And how could I have forgotten to mention Auntie Mame and Airplane (thanks, TCB)? I'm starting to chuckle already thinking about some of the scenes from Airplane. ("I hope I'm not boring you," he says to the seatmate who has just hanged herself. And Beaver's mom speaking jive. And Ethel Merman's cameo.)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 10:41:28 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2004, 10:39:56 AM »

Drippy in Delaware - isn't that a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie?
No, it's a military training film, all about the dangers that can happen "anywhere," even in Dover!  (There's a reason they're called "flyboys," after all!)

;D ::)

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2004, 10:42:33 AM »

I will agree with the other DRs who have mentioned Noises Off - so funny!  I also got some real genuine laughs out of Hairspray and Avenue Q.

I have a bad memory and not many movies are coming to mind immediately.. though I do remember laughing like a crazy person during Lost in Translation.  I also thought Bend It Like Beckham was really funny.  Both times the whole theatre of people was also laughing uproariously, which made it easier to be loud.  :D
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2004, 10:47:06 AM »

The title of today's notes reminds me of the dreadful movie Cool World, with Gabriel Byrne and Brad Pitt, and Kim Basinger as a cartoon.  (Humans in the movie were referred to as "noids," short for humanoids.)  It was so bad I was a noid with myself for having spent the time and money.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2004, 10:48:51 AM »

DRJason doesn't like folding umbrellas!

I remembered some other movies:

THE LONG LONG TRAILER
THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL
THEODORA GOES WILD
MY FAVORITE WIFE
PILLOW TALK

DRJose - I enjoyed your closing night story a LOT!  CAMELOT is a wonderful show to do - I remember - and closing nights with pleasant people are always bittersweet....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 10:50:07 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JB-NYC

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2004, 10:54:37 AM »

Missed the Tivo topic yesterday (I'm still way behind in reading all the posts), but I wanted to chime in to sing the praises of Tivo.  

BK, if you want any advice or tips, please feel free to ask.  You can also check out

www.tivocommunity.com

for more information than you could possibly want.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2004, 10:56:49 AM »

Thanks for the Tivo tip - I'll try that website.  I'm sure it's quite easy, but that 500 page manual is daunting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up