Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A NOID  (Read 40007 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A NOID
« on: January 05, 2004, 12:02:24 AM »

Well, you've read the piquant notes and I hope you weren't annoyed by them or even a noid by them.  And now, it's time to post until those damnable cows come home.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 12:03:07 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A NOID
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 12:04:12 AM »

Oh, and Unseemly Live Chat tonight at six o'clock Pacific Mean Time.  Be there or be round because we're going to have SOME fun.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 01:05:45 AM »

Hmm... I should be in bed by now... I have rehearsal in 13 hours! ;)

As for laugh-out-loud... hmm.. I'll have to think/sleep on that one.

However, I should be home in time for the chat, so... YIPPEE!

And, once again, Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 01:28:47 AM »

Good early morning everyone!
Jed - I too heard that he was found alive, and could hardly believe it!  Good news indeed.
A foot of snow in Tacoma???  What IS this world coming to?  And here I am in my tank tops and bikinis...it will be a cruel cruel awakening when I return to the arctic in three days.
The Topic of the Day -
Saw Noises Off as a stage production first, then the movie...laughed SO hard at both of them.  I guess it's cheating because it's stand-up comedy, but the first time I watched Bill Cosby "Himself" I just about died laughing.  Hmm..I'm sure more will occur to me tomorrow.
Off to bed...busy day tomorrow (yes bk, I too am BUSY) but I will do my best to make it to the chat.
'night all!

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 01:48:05 AM »

Laughs. Pete Cook and Dud Moore in "Beyond The Fringe" (or whatever the one was called) that I saw in 1973.  Movies: Not one for laughing out usually but "A Mighty Wind" made me chuckle. No doubt will think of others. "Young Frankenstein" was also a favourite. (Favorite DR Ron).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 01:48:36 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 02:49:00 AM »

...Hoped to get a great night's sleep. Dozed off during the tape of SEX AND. Went to bed with visions of sugar plums and 6 hours of sleep glorious sleep. Up again at 2:30 a.m., alas. Just read the late notes from last night. Yes, our esteemed bk reminded me that I forgot to list one item of food in my late-night pig-out. A slice of cake. Tiny but utterly delish. I blame that seemingly innocent torte, however, for opening the floodgates which led to the rest of the oink-out and my eventual waking at this ungodly hour. Now I shall BUSY myself with trying to get back to sleep. My dog is snorring, the whole world is drooling into its (their?) pillows - only I am awake. Cursed (pronounced "cur-said " for maximum effect) Parisienne. Devilish Benes. I lay this at your webbed Viktor toes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 02:56:19 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 02:51:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  What a nice bunch of posts!  I went to bed TOO early.

I watched that show MBARNUM - and later worked with an actress who had a small part on it.  She said they spent money like crazy and no one knew what he was doing - and it just didn't work.   And yes DRJED I enjoy Arrested Development as well.

The first woman on Mars, as reported yesterday, has been identified as Zsa Zsa Gabor!

Movies that made me laugh out loud include:

WHAT'S UP DOC?
PORKY'S - although it was embarrassing to laugh
I will try to think of others....

Shows:

Dame Edna - The World Tour
A CHORUS OF DISAPPROVAL - which was an entry in a drama competition I saw in Ireland, just so damn funny

and a Local production of MY FAIR LADY - I couldn't help it, it was just so bad - even the scene changes were funny.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 04:21:10 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week!  ;D

Just another day on the lot at Universal International!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 05:21:33 AM »

Plays. The one that really made me laugh out loud - I think throughout the entire play - was Peter Shaffer's Black Comedy. And I remember just about bursting during the Pigeon Sisters' scene of The Odd Couple.

Movies. Scenes that pop to mind: Madeline Kahn as Lili Von Shtupp in Blazing Saddles; Madeline Kahn getting off on Mel Brooks' phone call (he's being strangled, she thinks he's talking dirty) in High Anxiety; Alan Arkin's dental-office scene (leaving the poor woman with a mouthful of equipment) in The In-Laws. And in Austin Powers, the toilet scene, with Mike Myers and Tom Arnold, really cracked me up. (Austin, being strangled from behind, gasps: "Who does Number Two work for?" Texan Tom Arnold, in the next stall, shouts back: "You tell that turd who's boss!")
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 06:34:08 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 06:38:03 AM »

I'm glad I'm not busy.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 06:46:57 AM »

Good morning dear esteemed, lithe, sinewy, and newly-dishy BK --

Thanks for your kind thoughts over this past weekend.  I'm back in Phoenix for a few days, and wanted to check in here and see if the Living Room was in good order.  

On Wednesday, I have to drag my bones back to Chicago to get some work done for about 9 days!! Ugh !!  I'm just praying that by Wednesday the weather will be better than yesterday evening...  300 flights cancelled because of snow.  

I have caught up reading all of the "BK"s Notes" for the days I've been gone, but I just can't even make a dent in all of the daily posts..

So,,,,,,this poor traveler needs encapsulated highlights... something like "Hainsie-soundbites" to just catch me up on anything like monumental changes or events in any DRs lives over the past few days.

Pretty please......with hot fudge, and Leslie Parrish, and Guy Madison on top ????!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 06:56:15 AM by MusicGuy »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 06:54:41 AM »

The QOTD --

For movies -- Some of the tops for me would definitely be What's Up Doc,  The In-Laws (original version), Blazing Saddles.

Stage --  Dame Edna,  An Evening with George Burns, and even though it is cabaret/stand-up and not a play, 2 "one-man" evenings; one with Lewis Black, and the other with Dennis Wolfberg (who sadly died way too young!!)  If something really gets my funny bone going, I'm afraid I'm an outrageous laugher.  Poor Kerry justs trys to slink under the table.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 07:34:42 AM »

And as we discovered yesterday - the party life on Mars must be fantastic what with Zsa Zsa and Jeff setting up camps there.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 07:36:22 AM »

Huge guffaws from IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD...INTERNATIONAL HOUSE...MEET THE PARENTS...several of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 versions of films, particularly HORROR OF PARTY BEACH and SKY DIVERS... oh, my gosh, I know there are more, but my mind is going blank! Old age I guess.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 07:37:02 AM »

LOL, JRand53!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 07:47:25 AM »

As a teenager, THE GREAT RACE gave me the biggest laughs. My brother and I came to blows over this many years ago. He insisted MAD WORLD was the funniest comedy ever. I thought THE GREAT RACE was. I remember the audience being hysterical through much of the film, and so was I.

As an adult, I think probably YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN produced the biggest belly laughs from me and the people around me. I remember having a hard time getting my breath from laughing. I had the same reaction during AIRPLANE! Just one gut-busting laugh after another in that spoof.

Funniest play I ever sat through was the revival of THE WOMEN with Alexis Smith, Kim Hunter, Dorothy Loudon, Rhonda Fleming, Myrna Loy. It was exciting enough seeing all these wonderful stars in one play, but it was so catty and bitchy that the audience was gasping and laughing at the same time - a delicious combination.

I agree that NOISES OFF is probably one of the best farces of the last 50 years.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 07:54:07 AM »

OMG drMATTH - who played what in THE WOMEN?

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 07:55:27 AM »

Funniest play I ever sat through was the revival of THE WOMEN with Alexis Smith, Kim Hunter, Dorothy Loudon, Rhonda Fleming, Myrna Loy. It was exciting enough seeing all these wonderful stars in one play, but it was so catty and bitchy that the audience was gasping and laughing at the same time - a delicious combination.

Wow, now that would have been a play that I would want to see...what a fantastic cast!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2004, 07:56:29 AM »

I wanted to comment about something DR Jed said last night about being considerate of his students when he's a teacher. Smart lad!

Teaching English for 30 years, I had four disciplines that fell within my class: grammar, composition, literature, spelling/vocabulary, so it was impossible for me not to assign homework almost every day of class in some of these subjects. But there were precious few days that I didn't give my students at least 10 minutes of class time to make a start on my assignments; that also aided in allowing them to ask me questions if something puzzled them rather than getting home and becoming stumped by something they had to do because they weren't sure how to proceed.

In parent conferences, that was one thing I could always point to with pride when I had students who wouldn't do homework and subsequently had their grades reduced. I could show them that their children had time to at least make a start on assignments and get some credit for them, and when they had NOTHING to show me the next day, I knew they not only didn't do the work, but also wasted the class time I had given them for it. Kids never had a leg to stand on, and the parents were always aghast when learning that their kids weren't making use of the time given. Most of the time the parents came in thinking I was an ogre who beat with kids mercilessly with assignments, and they left realizing that their children were usually at fault when assignments weren't completed.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2004, 07:59:14 AM »

Plays:

Noises Off
Lend me a Tenor
Lettice and Lovage (Maggie Smith’s tour guide speeches)
Forbidden Broadway (and it’s various incarnations)

Movies:

Mary, Mary (A search for a cigarette – any cigarette – any butt!)
Young Frankenstein
Barefoot in the Park
Auntie Mame
Airplane

der Brucer (wondering if BK will posit why if we have "incarnations" we don't have "outpetunias"?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2004, 08:04:32 AM »

How could I forget AUNTIE MAME???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2004, 08:06:11 AM »

I shall not posit, I shall laugh and laugh instead.  I haven't seen the film of Mary, Mary since a sneak preview months before its release.  I do remember it being very funny.  And I'd agree with Barefoot in the Park, also very funny.  Two I forgot - and seeing these on their initial release with a full house was unbelievable; you could barely hear half the dialogue the audience was screaming so loud.  Billy Wilder's Some Like it Hot and One, Two, Three.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2004, 08:07:12 AM »

Oh, and good morning.

Oh, and WEHT Maya and Craig?  Have they run off together?  

Ben

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2004, 08:09:27 AM »

I am back from London, none the worse for wear, but missing the city across the pond. I'll post some pictures and give specifics later. Just wanted to say that I'm back in New York and back at work after a month off. Oh, how hard it is to readjust.

MG & Kerry, don't know if you got the phone message but a very big thank you for that wonderful package.

I'll be back later.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2004, 08:11:01 AM »

Damn! Woudln't you know I can't put my hands on the PLAYBILL right this second. I have got to get them better organized. Anyway, as best I remember, Kim Hunter was Mary Haines, Alexis Smith was Crystal Allen, Myrna Loy was the mother, Dorothy Loudon was Edith, Rhonda Fleming was Amanda. Can't recall who was Sylvia. It had to have been another big star, so I'll look some more later today and report back. I remember that Playbill clearly - had a women looking at her reflection in a hand mirror and in the mirror were the words "THE WOMEN."

Panni

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2004, 08:11:07 AM »

Good morning, all. Lovely but cool day here. Off to take the hound for a walk.

Panni

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2004, 08:13:40 AM »

DR Matt H - I wonder if this was the production Doris Dowling was in? I know she was part of an all star Broadway cast, but don't know who the other actresses were.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2004, 08:13:53 AM »

Welcome back, Ben.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2004, 08:16:10 AM »

Welcome back, DR Ben.

steveg

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2004, 08:20:54 AM »

Happy New Year to all DRs.

Funniest plays/movies:

I'll have to agree that Noises Off, the original B'way production with Dorothy Louden, was one of the funniest although another production that I saw a few years ago at Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey was deadly.

Also, Odd Couple, with Matthau and Art Carney; Barefoot in the Park with Ashley and Redford.  I also laughed myself silly at another Neil Simon play, although not a great one, Rumors with Chrisine Baranski.

Movies, I would include Woody Allen's Take the Money and Run and Bananas, Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three,  Stanley Kramer's It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Tootsie, What's Up Doc?, and many others that I can't think of right now.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up