Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS VERY DAY  (Read 57859 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THIS VERY DAY
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2007, 06:18:12 AM »

Good morning, all!  At 6:30 AM, I was wide awake but at 7:30 it was time to sleep for another hour.

Okay, my plans for the day: make a date with the Shubert Archive, make telephonic calls about my dad's estate, write some more editorial guidelines, settle times with DR FJL for our trip tomorrow to see DR JoseS..

DR JoseS, the Dressing Room sounds fine to me, if it's ok with DR FJL.

TOD:  When are we going to do another "I want on DVD" or "I want on CD" list or something? I thought I was too good for exploitation films; and now that I've discovered it an art form beloved by DR MBarnum, I see I was right all along.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2007, 06:18:17 AM »

And one more!

Spoo, I though that would be a page turner but Dear Larry beat me to it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:19:27 AM by Ben »

FJL

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2007, 06:19:38 AM »

Jose -  Thanks for arranging the tickets.

BTW:  How tight are the seats at Westport Playhouse?

FJL

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2007, 06:22:43 AM »

If the seats are tight, I'll have to eat light.  Otherwise, I may find myself encroaching on Elmore's territory.  :)

singdaw

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2007, 06:24:14 AM »

BTW:  How tight are the seats at Westport Playhouse?

DR FJL, I thought they were spacious enough and fairly comfortable.  But I was only in the back row.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2007, 06:24:17 AM »

Travel vibes for DRs MusicGuy and MBarnum.  I sure hope someone remembers to take some photos tomorrow evening.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2007, 06:24:30 AM »

Elmore, could you meet at Grand Central at 3:45 on Tuesday, each of us with our respective train tickets in hand?  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:25:03 AM by FJL »

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2007, 06:25:31 AM »

DR FJL - I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend in Pittsburgh.  Did you know that, when you were there, you were about half-way to southwest Ohio?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2007, 06:27:57 AM »

TOD:

From Wickipedia:
Exploitation film is a loosely defined term to describe a film genre that typically sacrifices the traditional notions of artistic merit for a more sensationalistic display, often featuring excessive sex, violence, and gore.

I suppose American Psycho and The Passion of the Christ would qualify?  I have seen neither, and I would say that I'm probably dispositionally unsuited to such material.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2007, 06:30:17 AM »

TOD:

I tend to think of exploitation movies as films made as cheaply as possible for the sole purpose of making a quick buck on a current trend. I normally eschew these kind of movies, but I do have a few guilty pleasures:

CLEOPATRA JONES
LADY IN A CAGE
CITY ON FIRE

Probably more as I think of them...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »

TOD:

From Wickipedia:I suppose American Psycho and The Passion of the Christ would qualify?  I have seen neither, and I would say that I'm probably dispositionally unsuited to such material.

Ditto!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2007, 06:33:35 AM »

I remember being quite taken with FOR COLORED GIRLS when I first saw it wayyyyy back in the 70s.  I've been kind of surprised that it hasn't been done more often.  The sad thing is that the material isn't all that dated.  

I'm glad that DR FJL enjoyed the production he took in this weekend.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2007, 06:37:51 AM »

A friend is coming in from Tucson tomorrow. He will be here for a week seeing as many shows as he is able in 8 days.

DH Richard and I saw 8 shows in 7 days when we visited NYC from Christmas Day 1982-New Year's Day 1983.  We had a great time!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2007, 06:40:16 AM »

I have FOR COLORED GIRLS on vinyl.  I doubt if that will ever be released on CD.  For that matter, I doubt if a lot of plays that were at one time released on LP will ever be reissued on discs.  Did that recording of the original cast of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINA WOOLF?  ever get reissued?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2007, 07:04:44 AM »

I remember seeing a production of For Colored Girls in Minneapolis at the Mixed Blood Theatre. It was one of the best things I have ever seen. Amazing stuff!

I had a copy of the LP of Virginia Woolf. I think it got lost in a move many years ago. I loved it and could quote large sections of dialogue from memory.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2007, 07:16:33 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful day here and a warm one, so they say. Should be in the low 80s all week until Friday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2007, 07:18:39 AM »

The only exploitation film I think I've seen is the blackploitation film SHAFT and its two sequels. If I've seen others, I wasn't aware they fit the genre.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2007, 07:20:25 AM »

Delighted about the return of HEROES to the NBC line-up tonight!

CBS' slate is all new except HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (which does have that hilarious repeat episode where we find out about "Robin Sparkles").

Of course, '24' and DRIVE are both new.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2007, 07:22:04 AM »

I've got the paycable shows I like to watch today: THE SOPRANOS, THE TUDORS, and ENTOURAGE plus RENO 911!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »

Elmore, could you meet at Grand Central at 3:45 on Tuesday, each of us with our respective train tickets in hand?  

Cointenly!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2007, 07:34:42 AM »

I've got the paycable shows I like to watch today: THE SOPRANOS, THE TUDORS, and ENTOURAGE plus RENO 911!

Last night, I was finally aware that THE TUDORS is playing a little loose with the facts: they've combined Princesses Mary Tudor and Margaret Tudor, sisters of Henry VIII, into Margaret Tudor, and confusing the facts of their very different relationships with Charles Brandon.  More loose history about the sisters and Brandon but I won't spoil the episode, which was quite wonderful.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2007, 07:51:44 AM »

Last night, I was finally aware that THE TUDORS is playing a little loose with the facts: they've combined Princesses Mary Tudor and Margaret Tudor, sisters of Henry VIII, into Margaret Tudor, and confusing the facts of their very different relationships with Charles Brandon.  More loose history about the sisters and Brandon but I won't spoil the episode, which was quite wonderful.

Thanks for the info. Since I'm not nearly as in the know about the facts as you are, it may not bother me much, but it has made me curious to step up my knowledge of Henry VIII. And, I guess, that's one of the great things about a well produced TV biography. It makes one hunger for more information.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2007, 07:52:13 AM »

Good day one and all!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »

TOD: I don't have a favorite exploitation film, but I've worked on plenty of them!

And the operative word is "on"  :)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2007, 08:13:11 AM »

Tyler is playing the Carpet.

Talk about "exploitative" roles :D

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2007, 08:17:13 AM »

I remember seeing a production of For Colored Girls in Minneapolis at the Mixed Blood Theatre. It was one of the best things I have ever seen. Amazing stuff!

I had a copy of the LP of Virginia Woolf. I think it got lost in a move many years ago. I loved it and could quote large sections of dialogue from memory.

The "Snap, George!  It just went snap!"  was the first acting scene I ever did anywhere.  I was talked into it by this girl in a Junior year acting class in high school.  I had no idea what I was doing and I was sort of blown away by the girl, who seemed to know exactly what she was doing.  It wasn't until a year later that I discovered that our school had a copy of the cast recording in our library and that she had learned off of it, inflection for inflection.  Grrrrrrrrr...
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »

ANIMAL HO-HO TIME:

HOW TO BATHE A CAT

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

4 The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and "rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet,streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.
Sincerely,

The Dog
[/size]

der Brucer
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:19:01 AM by DERBRUCER »

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »

Guess I'll head down now to clean up a bit. Going out to lunch with best friend John as per usual on Monday.

WBBL.

singdaw

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2007, 08:23:14 AM »

OPERA ALERT:

Many local PBS television stations will be broadcasting Eugene Onegin from the Met this coming Thursday night.

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »

Back from my doctor's appointment, which was just to go over the numbers from my most recent blood work.

He told me I'm perfect.

Just had to share  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up