Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN A HURRY  (Read 69165 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:NOTES IN A HURRY
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2007, 06:37:52 PM »

Kurt Masur - they named a sandwich after him:

der Brucer

Where's the bechamel?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2007, 06:38:27 PM »

DRs TCB and edisaurus - Pretty kitties.
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2007, 06:38:38 PM »

Well I'm off for some shut eye soon.....

night night studlies and lovelies !

Cillaliz

« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2007, 06:41:19 PM »

I can't wait for tomorrow morning.   I finally get to see what I think will be my new office.   It has location, location, location and unless what I can't see through the mail slot is 100 times worse than what I can see.  It would be perfect.   Paul asked if he can go with me to see it. So, he'll be there in the morning too.

Ginny

« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:06 PM »

DR Cillaliz - hope the new office is all that, and more!

DH Richard and I have been watching Flower Drum Song on DVD.  It has its moments, but those R&H dream ballets get sort of silly.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »

I've just been reading some reviews from a few productions of Voir Dire and, I'm happy to say, they all agree with me about the play.  What's fascinating is that the male character (played last night by Benjamin Clark) is, in all these reviews, positioned to be the villain of the piece by the playwright, and yet, as I said last night, he comes off as the only reasonable one in the group - not a bully (even though everyone calls him that, he's neither written nor played that way, at least in these three or four productions).  They all basically feel that it's an "issue" play rather than a play that is about human beings.  Also, according to these reviews, one of the characters sounds really interesting, but it certainly was not played that way at LACC - either the director or the actress apparently didn't "get" this character.   They also felt the play was way too long for its own good.

But it's had a bit of popularity on the regional circuit and in colleges.  It figures.  As to it being a Pulitzer nominee, well, c'mon - and how many Pulitzer Prize-winning plays have not played on Broadway at all?

The other "weird" part of Voir Dire is that, apparently, there are some "options" when it comes to the script you use for performances.  I believe DPS publishes the script, but the author has some revisions available.

I read the play a few years ago, and thought it was good, but could tell that a strong director and strong cast were needed to pull the play off.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »

If I can get a lease signed in the next couple days I can start the wheels really rolling.  I've decided to make an appointment at my bank and talk about the best strategy to go forward while I still have some options.  I was just going to go ahead with my own plan, and still may, but I figure it won't hurt to get some advice.

Ginny

« Reply #247 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:56 PM »

Every time someone mentions "Allentown," the voice I hear is Jerry Orbach's.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #248 on: April 29, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »

Jose I’m in wonder as to WHY the “entertaining” man was waiting in line for an autograph.;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #249 on: April 29, 2007, 06:45:07 PM »

I'm roasting a picnic shoulder of pork tonight.

And saurkraut.

And applesauce.

And mashed potatoes.

With gravy.

Do you ever mix a little bit of horseradish into your applesauce?  I like the "kick".
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2007, 06:46:10 PM »

Cilla-Great office vibes!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: April 29, 2007, 06:47:20 PM »

I wish I had a day off real soon.

Instead, I've a cashiering day tomorrow, followed by two wrangling days on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Off on Thursday.

It's coming.

*Le sigh.*

Well, just be sure to keep your day off "off".

I have to say, today was just what I needed.  A day to myself.  And it was basically my first full day off in about seven weeks.  Today made me realize that sometimes I do have to "sacrifice" a day of playing auditions/wages for my own mental health and well-being.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2007, 06:49:20 PM »

Braised pork shoulder is one of my favorite dishes at Joe's Shanghai in NY.

But have you ever had the Braised Pork Belly?  Unctious, I tell you!  Unctious!
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2007, 06:51:18 PM »

Thanks Ginny, it's just frustrating to go back to things being on hold this weekend. Hopefully tomorrow will change all that

Cillaliz

« Reply #254 on: April 29, 2007, 06:52:10 PM »

Thanks Jane

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2007, 06:53:44 PM »

As for the AGO...

Well...  When I was in college, the organ majors truly lived up to the stereotypical organist stereotype - uptight and downright weird.  Alas, the main music history teacher was also an organist, and she was also uptight and downright weird.  Subsequently, any time I would hear the initials, "A.G.O.", I would start looking for the nearest exit.

Thankfully, I've met some not so weird and not so uptight organists over the past years, but there's still a bit of Pavlovian response when it comes to the AGO.  ;)

*However, I do enjoy listening to "Pipe Dreams" and "With Heart and Voice".  -If that means anything.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2007, 06:53:50 PM »

Hi all.  Sorry I posted and ran but I wanted to get back to Mom ASAP.  

I was so tired that I laid on the couch/bed that was next to her and fell asleep.  The Lady who wants to go with me came to visit and woke me up, which was fine.  I had a nice hour long nap.

Mom wanted a cigerate so badly that we bundled her up and took her out to the smoking area and had a nice vist while Mom puffed away.  :)

Mom is sleeping right now.  Her back was hurting her and they gave something for the pain.  Some of the meds must be pretty strong because this morning, she didn't know who I was.  I had to expain that I was her daughter.

It's alright because as soon as she really woke up, she realized who I was and kept telling me how sorry she was that she didn't know me before.

The only thing that breaks my heart is how often she asks me when she can go home.  I keep telling her when she gets her strength back but it's hard.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2007, 06:54:08 PM »

Vibes for Cilla's new office!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »

I'm glad you had a good time, DR Jose.  I wish I could read music.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »

For dear DR Jose --  I know that you are at a concert, or dinner, or a walk around NYC this evening.  But I wish I was there, and we could have dinner, and then walk to the good pie shop !  That would be a fun relaxing time.

And.... I could then blame you a little !  ;)

Well, we would have had to walk fast. I believe the Little Pie Shop closes earlier on Sundays.

*However, I did manage to make it up to Levain about ten minutes before they were closing up.  And I snagged the last Chocolate Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie they had too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #260 on: April 29, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

It's no fun here in Allentown.... Maybe I'll just blame the whole area for everything. !
DR Jose is not a whole area.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #261 on: April 29, 2007, 06:58:41 PM »

Thanks Danise, vibes right back at ya

Danise

« Reply #262 on: April 29, 2007, 07:00:09 PM »

I have to say that love my little laptop.  We were having such a fuss on the bus about them changing the bus stops that I got out of the habit of carrying it on the bus.  

I still can not understand Hartline to save my soul.  The entire bus did not want the changes they made but they went ahead with them anyway.  And then they have signs on the bus that state they listen to their customers and want their input.  Yeah, one word from you and we'll do as we please.  Oy!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: April 29, 2007, 07:02:02 PM »

I usually get a tattoo.:-\
Tribal?  Or an anchor, in a Popeye reference?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #264 on: April 29, 2007, 07:02:15 PM »

Jose-I enjoyed reading about the concert and the pleasure it gave you. :D

Thanks, DR Jane - I really am glad I headed on down to Carnegie Hall earlier today.  The recital, the music was just what I needed after the scheduled craziness of the past few weeks.

Plus, the day did turn out to be quite wonderful weather-wise.  A little on the cool side, but the sky cleared up, and the sunset over the Upper West Side was gorgeous.  In fact, after I had walked from Carnegie Hall (7th Ave. and 57th St.) up to Levain (Amsterdam and 74th), I ended up walking all the way home!  -Up to 146th and St. Nicholas!  It was a great walk, and it's been a while since I've taken one of my "strolls".

*And I also managed to grab a nice dinner from one of the abuelas along Broadway who was selling tamales Mexicanos.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »

I miss the little toys we used to get in a box of Cracker Jack.  Fooie on the tattoo's.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »

I'm glad you had a good time, DR Jose.  I wish I could read music.

One does not need to read music to appreciate it.  One simply just needs to listen.  With both ears.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2007, 07:03:49 PM »

Don't let it end, Dear Friend!

That's good.  I don't believe Outback takes reservations.
There are some Outbacks where you can call ahead.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »

Every time someone mentions "Allentown," the voice I hear is Jerry Orbach's.

Me too!

*And I'm actually playing one more round of 42nd Street auditions tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2007, 07:05:17 PM »

What's wrong with "Now"?  Have you been rehearsing to play Frederick in A Little Night Music?
You'd rather that DR TCB sing "Soon"?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up