Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A PINTER PLAY  (Read 77109 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:A PINTER PLAY
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2007, 06:27:53 AM »

And now, I must be off to work.

Bright, sunshiny day here in Rehoboth.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »

Page Three Dance

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Strike a pose![/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2007, 06:30:44 AM »

TOD:

Love the Impressionist:

Manet
Monet
Renoir
Sisley
John Byner

I also like:

Van Gogh
Rubens
Vermeer
Rembrandt

Modern artists:

Warhol
Picasso
O'Keefe
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2007, 06:38:28 AM »

There is also Seurat's final study for "La Grande Jatte," housed in the Metropolitan in New York City.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 06:40:44 AM »

I also have a great fondness for DaVinci's Mona Lisa.  In spite of all the hype and camp and parody that's been generated around it, I still find it a disarming portrait.  That smile gets me every time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »

goodmorning :)
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2007, 07:01:20 AM »

I am actually quite refreshed and awake for 7:00 in the morning
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2007, 07:11:54 AM »

Good morning. It is foggy here on the California coast.

I am an art idiot. But my sister took me to the Met in NYC, and I very much enjoyed the day. I especially liked the Jackson Pollock, because DR Sandra told me about it.

Today I have requested to be dropped off at the nearby wildlife refuge while the rest of the family  goes kayaking.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2007, 07:16:18 AM »

DR Laura, I think you'll have more fun!

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »

TAR SPOILERS

****  SPOILERS   *****

I'm not happy with the final three, either.  I do NOT want to see Mirna and Schmirna win this one, and I'd be even less happy to see the less deserving Eric and Danielle win.  I'm going to miss Danny and Oswald--I liked them and they would have been just as appreciated as winners as the Blondies.

And the Blondies are fighting amongst themselves?  What will bring that on?!?  Probably some major screw-up that loses them the game.  

*Sigh*...

I am thrilled with one of the 3 (dustin and kandace). And i totally agree with you about charla and mirna and eric and danielle. Although i would be happier if they won then mirna.

I am worried about the good edit mirna got last night. And the way they talk about them being the underdogs. No matter how they try to sell those two, i can't believe that anybody would want them to win.

I was a bit surprised by the preview that showed the blondes having a big fight. But i'm guessing it's misdirection. So it makes me think they have a good chance to win. I really think it will come down to the blondes vs charla/mirna.

I will be really unhappy if the blondes do not win.

Btw, last week's ending as i suspected was total crap.  D&O were 1 1/2 hours behind eric/danielle (not the few minutes the editing suggested).

And i disagree with DR Jrand about telling eric about the yield. I'm sure mirna or oswald filled them in. But eric was so mad, i think the beauties confessed to most of it.  PLUS it was totally danny/oswald's idea to get paid for the yield. If the blondes had suggested it then i think you might be right. But danny/oswald suggested it. And they only let the blondes choose so they wouldn't have to be the bad guys.

I really liked danny/oswald but if you finish last twice you deserve to go.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2007, 07:35:58 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

In good time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2007, 07:37:24 AM »

Favourite artists...Turner (have seen some of his stuff at the National Gallery); Frank Frazetta, and Joseph Clement Coll (who usually illustrated in pen and ink).

RE:  Harlan E.  Harlan is Harlan.  I accept him...don't always approve of everything he does.  But, despite whatever flaws he has, I've always found him a sweet, good, and generous soul and loyal and honest and honourable.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »

Good morning. It is foggy here on the California coast.

I am an art idiot. But my sister took me to the Met in NYC, and I very much enjoyed the day. I especially liked the Jackson Pollock, because DR Sandra told me about it.

Today I have requested to be dropped off at the nearby wildlife refuge while the rest of the family  goes kayaking.

Are you going to be left with a compass and a knife, or are you really roughing it?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »

Good morning!

We're approaching the beginning of summer (yep, and it's not even May yet). Going to be in the mid 80s today and near 90 tomorrow. Argh! At least the nights cool down enough to open the windows and run the attic fan to put some cool air back into the house.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »

RE:  Harlan E.  Harlan is Harlan.  I accept him...don't always approve of everything he does.  But, despite whatever flaws he has, I've always found him a sweet, good, and generous soul and loyal and honest and honourable.

That's good to know. Maybe I just caught him on a bad day. (He was nice when I met him in college...)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2007, 07:42:06 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today's my day off and I slept quite late ('til almost 9am).  I have a few errands to do this morning, then our Monday Movie Matinee with the grandmas and my aunt - we're watching The Queen.

TOD - I like many of the artists mentioned here already, plus Mary Cassatt, Georgia O'Keeffe, and my all-time favorite Mark Tobey.  He and I share a birthday (60 years apart, though).  My first encounter with his work was Broadway Melody, which I saw in the University of Michigan Museum of Art in the late '60s.  Here's one that's similar:
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2007, 07:42:23 AM »

I hope you can find each other afterwards!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2007, 07:43:06 AM »

I did have to take art appreciation in college (a requirement for a teacher's license), and there I was introduced to all the great masters. I really treasure them all and find something of value in almost every one of their works. I couldn't name a favorite. I favor Renaissance and Baroque to more modern painting, but even modern masters are of interest.

Edisaurus

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »

At a recent trip to the Barnes Foundation in PA, I became enhanted by another surealist: Georgio de Chirico

I like! I will have to check out more of his work!

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2007, 07:44:57 AM »

I have hours of TV from last night to watch, and I'll likely begin with THE TUDORS and COLD CASE.

Best friend John has already alerted me that it's going to be a late lunch today, so I'll probably watch something before we go to lunch. I've already cleaned the dining room to get that chore out of the way, so today's viewing schedule is going to be somewhat different from the norm.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2007, 07:46:56 AM »

Probably won't get to any DVDs today, but the first one up for viewing when time permits will be THE WEST POINT STORY.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2007, 07:48:02 AM »

I also loved DR Danise's dog story yesterday. Continued vibes. ~~~~~~

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2007, 07:49:06 AM »

The funny thing about THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER is that Kirk Douglas' face resists that masquerade make-up. I could see through each of his disguises because his face is just too unusual.

Like bk, I liked the film a lot as a kid, but when I saw it decades later, the mystery element didn't hold up at all, and all the disguises were just trick stuff to distract the viewer from the lame script.

Ginny

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2007, 07:49:36 AM »

This now begs the question - how many of us have seen the original painting La Grande Jatte?  Not a reproduction, the real thing?

We've got Singdaw, Dan (the Man), myself and der Brucer (of course).  That's four, so far.

Put me on that list, DR SWW.  I spent a lovely day at the museum in Chicago with a couple of librarian friends when we were all there for the ALA conference in 1990.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:50 AM »

There are several wildlife artists here in SW Ohio whose work I like a lot, too - John Ruthven, Charlie Harper, and Kay Worz.  DH Richard gave me Kay's The Gathering for Christmas a couple of years ago:

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2007, 07:54:32 AM »

TAR SPOILERS

Btw, last week's ending as i suspected was total crap.  D&O were 1 1/2 hours behind eric/danielle (not the few minutes the editing suggested).

And i disagree with DR Jrand about telling eric about the yield. I'm sure mirna or oswald filled them in. But eric was so mad, i think the beauties confessed to most of it.  PLUS it was totally danny/oswald's idea to get paid for the yield. If the blondes had suggested it then i think you might be right. But danny/oswald suggested it. And they only let the blondes choose so they wouldn't have to be the bad guys.

I really liked danny/oswald but if you finish last twice you deserve to go.

If I have anything against the Blondies, it's the half truth they told Eric and Danielle about the deal they made with Danny and Oswald about the Yield.  They told E & D that D & O were the first to approach the offer (true), but they then said that the deal was for D & O not to Yield the Blondies when the truth was that they themselves specified E & D.  Also, if Mirna can be believed, during the rest period at the pit stop after the Blondies first Yielded E & D, they were telling everyone that they were once Yielded during Season 10, which never happened.  (You can see Mirna talk about this in the extra clips for that episode on the CBS.com site.)  It does appear that the Blondies can be outright deceitful at times.

I'm curious about how soon Danny and Oswald came in behind Mirna and Schmirna.  It looked like they did incredibly well catching up after being so far behind, but it could be, like you said, editing.

It's all in the editing...
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2007, 08:03:57 AM »

From today's NY Times. an article about auditions for Spring Awakening cast replacements.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2007, 08:11:01 AM »

I'm off to do errands and probably won't be back until after the Monday Movie Matinee.

Bye for now!

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2007, 08:13:01 AM »

I'm heading down now to clean up a bit. Then, I'll watching something before lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2007, 08:23:14 AM »

DakotaCelt-Rant all you want.  With what you are going through you deserve a few rants.  I can identify with having a “difficult” sister.

DerBrucer-cute.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up