Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOSE KNOWS  (Read 66846 times)

singdaw

Re:THE NOSE KNOWS
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 06:47:06 AM »

So, Singdaw, do you often make blank posts?  ;)

I Do, I Do!    ;D

But I delete them when I can't get them to work in the end...

singdaw

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 06:48:20 AM »

Page 3 Keith Lockhart dance...
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2007, 06:52:39 AM »

Page 3 Keith Lockhart dance...
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

I'm very fond of Mr Lockhart; I've done three Boston Pops concerts, and I've always enjoyed working with him.  I think he's he's quite good at his job. He doesn't suffer fools during rehearsal and he's always prepared with questions when the rehearsal begins.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 06:55:41 AM »

What was your FIRST clew?

Michael

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2007, 07:14:55 AM »

I think I would also like to add
Denny's to the list.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2007, 07:20:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: ONIOMANIA!
ONIOMANIA!  Title of a major production number in the musical The Onio Rogers Follies, music by Cy Coleman, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, book by Peter Stone.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2007, 07:23:06 AM »

Yesterday evening, I left work and went to my sister's house for some veggie lasagna...with veggies...and mushrooms...and cottage cheese.  It was well made, but it had veggies...and mushrooms...and cottage cheese. :P

Your sister should be told that low-fat ricotta is available.

Still  :P, but more authentic.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »

Oniomania!
Don't call me a shopaholic!
Oniomania!
It's enough to give you colic!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2007, 07:26:32 AM »

And with that, I am off to the shower and then promptly to bed!
Film at eleven!  

:o

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »

WOD:
All that shopping and she forgot to buy herself a bra.   :-\

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2007, 07:31:45 AM »

I got home just in time to watch "Medium."  I recorded "Lost" and will watch it after I watch last week's episode.  After "Medium," I watched a couple of episodes of "It's All Relative" that I recorded on Logo.

IT'S ALL RELATIVE. I'd love to see that show again. I wish the owners of it would issue it on DVD. I would certainly add it to my collection.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2007, 07:32:16 AM »

I see the hurrican season started three weeks early. I hope that it isn't a omen of things to come.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2007, 07:32:23 AM »

Isn't "Oniomania" a song from THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES?
Like minds.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33:15 AM »

DR Singdaw, that chick should have oniomania'ed herself a bra.
Again, like minds!

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2007, 07:34:29 AM »

Good morning!

More partly cloudy skies here, but much warmer than it has been all week. It will be shorts weather today when I go out to lunch with friends.

We may have more rain, too. We had a good, strong May shower early last evening that lasted over an hour.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »

I'll also have to add Denny's to my list of bad restaurant experiences. Actually, I went into one in the late afternoon (this was many years ago), was told to seat myself, and then I waited twenty minutes and no one ever came with water, a menu, tableware, nothing. There wasn't even anyone around for me to call out to, so I just left.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2007, 07:37:06 AM »

Looks quite lovely, DR Ben, and I know you'll have a grand time.  DO visit the CyberCenter, if you have a moment, and check in with HHW!  Just to let us all know what a fabulous time you are indeed having.   :)
Yes, give us cause to be jealous!

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2007, 07:37:17 AM »

You'll enjoy last night's LOST, DR George. Last night's MEDIUM will be my first stop this afternoon though I understand from reading TV GUIDE that the story with Neve Campbell still doesn't reach a conclusion this week and continues on to next week.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2007, 07:39:32 AM »

Yes, DR Jennifer, the powers that be at the CW were very enthusiastic over the VERONICA MARS pitch that send the story four years into the future while Veronica is working at the FBI. That will free up Chris Lowell (Piz) to take the part in the GREY'S ANATOMY spin-off, now called PRIVATE PRACTICE.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »

A gift idea for that conductor in your life who already has everything:
The probe and the groping hand.

No, wait, that's for when you give this to a proctologist!

Michael

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »

I'll also have to add Denny's to my list of bad restaurant experiences. Actually, I went into one in the late afternoon (this was many years ago), was told to seat myself, and then I waited twenty minutes and no one ever came with water, a menu, tableware, nothing. There wasn't even anyone around for me to call out to, so I just left.

exact same experienc!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:54 AM »

Again, like minds!

Scary, isn't it?  :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2007, 07:47:22 AM »

I really wish sites would not talk about plot points of shows that aired. i just came across one for LOST. I had planned to watch the series when it hits DVD and now I have learned an important plot point that I hope won't ruin my enjoyment for season 3. I have tried so carefully not to read anything and there it was.
Damn AOL Entertainment News. Damn them all to hell!
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2007, 07:51:07 AM »

While I don't want to deprive anyone of their pleasure in watching American Idol, and therefore don't openly :) announce a wish for the show's end, I'm a little perturbed by the show's effect on the recording industry, which directly affects the status of pop music and pop culture in this generation.  I wouldn't want the show to end for the sake of those who enjoy it, but I would like to see it have less impact on our pop culture.  Too bad for me, i guess.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2007, 07:54:27 AM »

The worst experience in a restaurant that I can remember wasn't really the fault of the restaurant itself, but of a restaurant across the street.

Der Brucer and I were fond of a place called Love's The Rib Joint, in Lakewood, CA.  Great place to get Texas beef ribs, and we'd always take home the bones for the dogs.  We were in the habit of being seated in the bar/lounge area, because it was quieter than the main dining room.

This one night, we were seated at the middle table.  An elderly couple were at the end table.  We had just started our meal when a group arrived and took the corner table, behind me.  

I have never heard such language in a public place before!  This was a mixed group, men and women, and the women were just as foul-mouthed as the men!  And they were being quite loud about it.

The elderly woman at the end table was absolutely devastated.  She and her husband had not finished their meal, but it was clear that she could not stay in such a hostile environment.  Der Brucer and I managed to eat some of our meal, but requested the doggy bags earlier than normal.

What made things worse was that the group at the corner table worked at a Mexican-themed restaurant across the street.  A couple of them were still wearing their name tags, with the name of their establishment clear for all to read!

Amazingly, the staff at Love's didn't once ask them to modify their language.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2007, 07:55:21 AM »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2007, 08:02:04 AM »

What bothers me about American Yodel is that the performers are expected to sing from a list of songs that have been pre-selected and cleared for performance.

This has two effects.  First, the contestants are always being compared to the original performance of the song.  And then they are chided for not bringing anything original to the stage.

Bleh.

Second, this suggests that original material has no worth, that songwriters might as well give up because everything good has already been written.

Again, bleh.

So we get a group of performers prancing around, wagging their tushies and strutting, holding something phallic to their mouths while their other hand flails around like an out-of-control helicopter.

I'd much rather see a performer play an instrument, such as a guitar or a piano, and sing something they've written themselves.

I guess I idolize the wrong kind of talent.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2007, 08:05:16 AM »

What bothers me about American Yodel is that the performers are expected to sing from a list of songs that have been pre-selected and cleared for performance.

This has two effects.  First, the contestants are always being compared to the

Why do songs need to be cleared? Once a song has been recorded isn't fair game for anyone who wants to sing it as long as they pay the royalities?
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2007, 08:09:21 AM »

Why are we in SuperCinerama this morning (or is it just my monitor)?

I remember going to see Good Neighbor Sam when I was very small--Dorothy Provine's sorority sister and best friend was the wife of a guy who worked for my Dad at Sears and she took us all.  I still remember the repeatedly botched Hertz commercial, with the killer last gag--"Man, is that a good cup of coffee."

George--be prepared for a major shocker (like gasp out loud) moment from last night's Lost.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2007, 08:14:11 AM »

As I understand it, AI has a list of songs for which they have pre-paid the royalties.  This includes subsequent broadcasts of the songs performed, including in other media, thus giving AI the anciliary income from CDs and DVDs.

The lack of clearance is what has caused some shows (including dramas and comedies using source music) to have thier soundtracks altered or cut when released in other media, or blocked the release in the other media entirely.  I believe this is why WKRP in Cincinatti is having trouble being released on DVD - the original shows used a lot of source music, as was befitting the radio station locale of the series.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up