Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 37794 times)

Ben

Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2004, 05:48:21 AM »

You can just make out the stylish blue wool hood on the coat. Helps to keep the cold off of my ears. For some reason, if my ears get cold, I get cold all over and then I get cranky, and you don't want to see me when I'm cranky.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2004, 05:53:35 AM »

Besides doing the work for which I am paid (which I'm not doing right now) I need to finish writing my 90 second review of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for BBC Radio Wales. Writing 90 second reviews is HARD. I don't know when the review will air but I'm taping it tomorrow morning along with some other reviews of shows I've seen recently.

Enough of this posting frenzy (my posting frenzy anyway). I need to get back to work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2004, 05:55:15 AM »

Great picture, Ben!  Cheerio! With raisins.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 05:55:45 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2004, 05:57:51 AM »

One more thing before I get back to work.

According to Playbill On-Line, here is the cast list for the Reprise Kismet in Los Angeles. The link is below. Our funny and favorite Jason Graae will be in the show along with Len Cariou and others.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/83638.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 05:58:34 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2004, 06:23:34 AM »

OMG I must have been cast, because I am always referred to in the newspaper as "and others."   ::)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 06:23:59 AM by JRand53 »

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2004, 06:42:54 AM »

Good morning DRs!  When do the figure skating nationals start?  I suppose I could look it up myself, but it is ask DR day..

I don't follow the sport as closely as I used to.. sort of like DR Ron, I stopped caring so much after a lot of my favorite skaters turned pro/retired/etc., but since a lot of you are going to tune in I might watch just to be able to follow the conversation.  Does anyone here watch tennis?

DR Ron - your comment about triple loops was really insightful!  That is the jump Kristi Yamaguchi fell on during the Olympics, marring an otherwise flawless program.  And it wasn't even supposed to be her weak jump - that was the salchow.

OK, now that I sound like a huge dork, I am going to skate off to do some work.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Robin

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2004, 06:44:01 AM »

About those pictures from Barsoom...oh, alright...you can keep calling it "Mars" if it lets you sleep at night.  But those of us in the know know better...

I can only assume these probes haven't landed in any of the inhabited regions of Barsoom, which are simply swarming with four-armed Green Men astride their eight-legged mounts.  I fully expect the probe to be attacked by Ras Thavas' Synthetic Men any moment now.  Let those NASA goons explain that away...!  

Mars, uninhabited???   I think not!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Ben

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2004, 06:44:40 AM »

Yes, JRand, I think you're right. I saw Len Cariou at Barrymore's in NYC just before we left for England and he was talking about Kismet and he mentioned a new actor from Indiana who might be joining the cast. They would be sending the contract in the mail. You should be getting them any day now. ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2004, 06:49:11 AM »

I will wait by the mailbox!  

« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 06:49:37 AM by JRand53 »

Ben

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2004, 06:54:48 AM »

Cute picture! Hope you don't meet any spiders while you're waiting, though.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2004, 06:57:01 AM »

http://www.atlanta2004.org/

It's going on right now DRLC - with some coverage on ESPN2 today and ABC coverage on Saturday afternoon and evening!

Spiders are the least of my worries.  8)

I don't know - I watch it, but is it ART?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 07:02:35 AM by JRand53 »

Ben

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2004, 06:59:34 AM »

Oh, you cool dude! Arachnaphobia is not a worry. I guess it's too cold for the spiders to come out. Their webs may freeze.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2004, 07:00:08 AM »

State offices closed until 10:00 I am told by my supervisor...so now I can go back to bed for awhile! On the news they are reporting that state offices are opening at noon...who to believe.

It is so icy outside...the snow is covered with a beautiful and strange layering of ice and large icicles hanging off the house and car and fence. It looks neat, but I guess is not a lot of fun to drive on.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2004, 07:03:40 AM »

Believe the news MBARNUM - it's more time to watch movies.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2004, 07:22:52 AM »

An early morning post - then probably not much for the rest of the day.

On Friday will be the two month anniversary of my return to LA. I believe they're planning a parade in Studio City with bk as Grand Marshal. He will be riding in a spiffy red convertible with my dog, Abie (dressed as Carmen Miranda) sitting beside him. I shall take photos.

Will be out and about and BUSY for much of the day. Am trying to get tickets for an American Cinematheque screening of 21 GRAMS tonight at the Egyptian. My daughter has been wanting to see the movie and this will be a special screening with a Q&A following with two of the film's stars, Naomi Watts and Benicio Del Toro (whom daughter adores). This would be a real treat for her, so being the fantastic-kind-sweet generous mother that I am, I'm trying to make it happen. Other than that, must go to the post office and do various and sundried errands and must busily WAIT for my script notes which still have not materialized. Then I must make arrangements for a visit tomorrow to Rancho Cucomonga. How could a place have such a ridiculous name, I ask you? Do the Marx Brothers live there? I certainly hope so. That would make the visit much fun.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2004, 07:27:35 AM »

Yes, Kristi did fall on a triple loop, and right afterward, she doubled her salchow so she wouldn't have two potential falls in a row - very wise move on her part.

In the worlds a month after the Olympics, she made the triple loop and attempted the triple salchow and fell on it. At the 1992 US Nationals, she made her only triple salchow in competition.

Dick Button was in la-la land when he said Kristi could do triple loops in her sleep. They're very hard because you take off on a back outside edge and land on a back outside edge on the same foot, thus having to propel yourself into the air with just the strength in that one leg you're jumping and landing on. Other jumps give you some momentum from a combination of both legs' strength but the loop doesn't. Karen Cadavy did the most beautiful triple loops I've ever seen.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2004, 07:46:01 AM »

Will be out and about and BUSY for much of the day. Am trying to get tickets for an American Cinematheque screening of 21 GRAMS tonight at the Egyptian. My daughter has been wanting to see the movie and this will be a special screening with a Q&A following with two of the film's stars, Naomi Watts and Benicio Del Toro (whom daughter adores). This would be a real treat for her, so being the fantastic-kind-sweet generous mother that I am, I'm trying to make it happen.

Panni, will you adopt me?  At least long enough for me to see Mr. Del Toro in the flesh (so to speak)?

Whoops!  This is suppose to be Ask BK Day.  Okay, BK, will you adopt me?  If so, then to Hell with Mr. Del Toro, can you introduce your son to Mr. Brent Barrett (WSMA in Internet lingo)?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2004, 07:46:10 AM »

Since we got a preview of Kritzer Time yesterday, my question for ASKBK day is this:

In Kritzer Time, does our protaganist appear in any stage productions?  

And my second question:  Why will only SOME DR's be intrigued by your internet announcement and your new book project?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2004, 07:49:40 AM »

DR MATTH - I think Dick Button has resided in la la land for many skating seasons!  

I don't like the personalities of many of the women skaters - and a lot of the men just don't seem to have any fun skating.  My favorite has always been Kurt Browning!

Michael Weiss and Timothy Goebel.....I guess I like Timothy best and his artistry is improving.  Michael is NOT consistent, but I will give him this, when he made the US Olympic team - the others talked about "me" "I" and "mine" and Weiss is the only one who referred to the group as "us" and a "team."

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2004, 07:49:55 AM »

Thanks Jrand!  I will record the coverage with my handy-dandy DVR.

DR MattH - Kristi's mother made a bet with her that during the 1992 Nationals Kristi wouldn't land the salchow, and when she did land it, her mom had to shell out $100. :)  I guess, though, it didn't work for future competitions..

Did you ever skate yourself?  Most people that I know don't have such technical knowledge of the sport.

If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2004, 07:57:54 AM »

No, I've never skated myself, but I always wanted to, and I've watched and studied the sport for many decades. I've had lots of favorites through the years.

Michael Weiss is definitely the most artistic and expressive of our current men's group, but his technical prowess has been ebbing for years. He won the national championship last year by default simply because NO ONE skated well in the finals. I hate years like that, when the entire championship is an embarrassment to the sport. Hopefully, we'll see some new stars emerge this year. That's always exciting, when an Aren Nielsen or Scott Davis or Mark Mitchell comes out of nowhere and does a wonderful program. I'll never forget being so impressed with Tonya Harding in an early performance. Little did I know how dreadful her later skating (and behind the scenes graft) would become.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2004, 07:58:45 AM »

QUESTION FOR BK:
In an interview about his Kennedy Center Honor, Mike Nichols reflected on the creative process ...
I am extremely interested in what happens when we are not thinking about something. Time is one of the most important tools we have. Not only time spent slogging at the task, but time spent not doing so. In making movies, time is so short--because it is so expensive--that we tend to neglect the place from which the best ideas come, namely that part of ourselves that dreams. The unconscious is our best collaborator. I try to let the participants have downtime before shooting and after rehearsal, so our secret collaborator can do its work. I have learned to trust and encourage that more.

I suspect that is similar to how you work also. Care to elaborate on your creative modus operandi?

P.S. Hi Everybody!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2004, 08:00:03 AM »

DR MATTH - I think Matt Savoie shows some promise.  And are you sure you didn't skate as Sonja Henie's parnter in an earlier life?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 08:02:12 AM by JRand53 »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2004, 08:00:45 AM »

Wow, congrats everyone on so many posts yesterday!  Sorry to have been E&T...I've been spending a lot of time with my friends who are back from college, and who will be going back on Sunday.  And then on Monday, I start classes again too...*sigh*...(where has the time all gone to?  Haven't done half the things I want to...)

I love watching figure skating, although I can't tell a lutz from an axel.  I'm also shallow and like the pretty costumes.

Hmmm....a question for BK, let me see....are there any musical theatre songs that make you cry?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2004, 08:02:07 AM »

Dick Button is always in la la land.  He is enough to make me only watch Nationals on ABC and skip all other skating events televised on that network.

For Ask BK Day (and I'd like other DRs to also chime in):

Yesterday Ken Mandelbaum reviewed the new biography of Joan McCracken and he said that for years he always wanted to read a good biography of Ms. McCracken and also of Betty Hutton.  What show business personality would you like to read a good biography of?  ...not an "as told to" puff piece nor a so-called exposé, but a well researched life story of the subject both professionally and personally.

(As BK would say) I'll start.  I'd love a good bio of Gwen Verdon.  I'd like to be able to understand how this talented woman allowed herself to be abused by Jack Cole; why she spent much of her career as Bob Fosse's assistant/gofer instead of performing herself; why she never divorced Fosse even though they didn't live together through most of their marriage; and why she not only tolerated Fosse's numerous infidelities but also became friendly with many of his girlfriends.  Perhaps a good bio could help explain this beloved performers low self-esteem.

Now who would you like to read about and why?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2004, 08:04:05 AM »

By the way, getting back to skating, Michael Weiss is known as the biggest homophobe is skating today, although from his choice of costumes perhaps what he condems most in others is what he fears most in himself.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2004, 08:13:24 AM »

I need to go to FirstBooks and read the teaser from KritzerTime. In my post haste or post frenzy this morning I forgot to do that.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2004, 08:15:27 AM »

Ah, Miss Henie. A dream on blades. I always laugh when the Car Guys on NPR use her as an exclamation of sorts.

"Well, Sonja Henie's Tutu!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2004, 08:21:07 AM »

Off to work, from where I will answer any and all questions.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2004, 08:22:34 AM »

For those of you who missed it yesterday (like me), here is the link to a preview of Kritzertime.

www.1stbooks.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up