Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 37799 times)

LC

• .o0o.
Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2004, 08:22:40 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]LOL, DR WEL!  (I just spit out orange juice)[/move]

I did not know that about Michael Weiss.  You wonder how one can survive in such a sport being outspokenly homophobic.

No, I've never skated myself, but I always wanted to, and I've watched and studied the sport for many decades. I've had lots of favorites through the years.

I'll never forget being so impressed with Tonya Harding in an early performance. Little did I know how dreadful her later skating (and behind the scenes graft) would become.

That's very impressive.  I can tell the jumps apart and the names of the moves, and I know when I think something looks well-executed or it doesn't, but I'm not an expert by any means.  However, I do consider myself qualified to shout at the TV when the judges or commentators don't agree with me.  :P

I too used to think Tonya Harding was a formidable skater.  It's hard to remember, given her later behaviour.  I really enjoyed her triple axel rivalry with Midori Ito.  Generally, I think I am stuck in the early 1990s, pre-Boitano rule, because all my favorite skaters were from then.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2004, 08:25:38 AM »

I think that's more gossip than true about Michael Weiss, WEL. Yes, he makes no bones about being straight and parades his two children at every competition like some kind of badge of honor.

On the other hand, he stayed with choreographer Brian Wright, openly gay and afflicted with AIDS, long after other skaters dropped him, until he in fact was too ill to work further. He deserves some props for that kind of loyalty.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2004, 08:28:55 AM »

Oh, DR JRand, I'm OLD, but I'm NOT old enough to have partnered with Miss Henie in any of her Hollywood films.

I wouldn't have MINDED partnering with Tyrone Power when HE appeared in some of her films, however.  :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2004, 08:30:16 AM »

Yes, Kristi did fall on a triple loop, and right afterward, she doubled her salchow so she wouldn't have two potential falls in a row - very wise move on her part.

In the worlds a month after the Olympics, she made the triple loop and attempted the triple salchow and fell on it. At the 1992 US Nationals, she made her only triple salchow in competition.

Dick Button was in la-la land when he said Kristi could do triple loops in her sleep. They're very hard because you take off on a back outside edge and land on a back outside edge on the same foot, thus having to propel yourself into the air with just the strength in that one leg you're jumping and landing on. Other jumps give you some momentum from a combination of both legs' strength but the loop doesn't. Karen Cadavy did the most beautiful triple loops I've ever seen.

Who is this "Kristi" person you're talking about????????

Ben

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2004, 08:30:47 AM »

Since we're on the subject of sports right now, LC, you may have answered this before, but you look like you're standing in some kind of stadium. What is it and were you displaying some athletic prowess while there?

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2004, 08:31:09 AM »

Kristi Yamaguchi!!!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2004, 08:32:48 AM »

DR MATTH - I think Matt Savoie shows some promise.  And are you sure you didn't skate as Sonja Henie's parnter in an earlier life?

While DR MattH has addressed this issue, I'm wondering whether it was Joan Crawford or Vera Hruba Ralston that TCB skated with in the movies!

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2004, 08:37:22 AM »

DR Ben - how observant!  I am standing in the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona from the 1992 Olympics.  (The picture was taken on my trip to Spain last fall.)  It was a very impressive sight, and it is still used for sporting events and concerts.  Since you asked, yes, I went down to the track and ran the 15,000 meter relay I did not display any athletic prowess while there - I was actually sick for the whole trip - unless you count buying a postcard and posing for the picture.  I am just about the least athletic person on the planet.  ;)

BTW, I forgot to mention, great pic of London!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 08:38:27 AM by LC »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2004, 08:37:35 AM »

I think it would be fair to say that Michael Weiss' father is probably the homophobe, but he's out there supporting his son no matter what.

Weiss used to be defiantly stiff on the ice -- fists clenched, overly exaggerated "masculine" mannerisms.  But something changed.  It may be because he married.  It may be because he "bred" a child.  But he softened on ice...he relaxed.  Suddenly, he wasn't afraid to incorporate grace into his program.

I used to despise him, and then I saw him skate the most amazing and graceful program and I totally turned around in my opinion about him.  It felt like he finally relaxed and was serious about skating the best he could.

But his lack of consistency IS infuriating.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2004, 08:38:13 AM »

I think it was Vera - who could forget their "Rumba on Ice"?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2004, 08:39:36 AM »

DR Ben - how observant!  I am standing in the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona from the 1992 Olympics.  (The picture was taken on my trip to Spain last fall.)  It was a very impressive sight, and it is still used for sporting events and concerts.  Since you asked, yes, I went down to the track and ran the 15,000 meter relay I did not display any athletic prowess while there - I was actually sick for the whole trip - unless you count buying a postcard and posing for the picture.  I am just about the least athletic person on the planet.  ;)

Oh, LC! How pathetic are we?  I did exactly the same thing when I visited Athens in 1975.  I ran a lap around the Olympic Stadium (don't recall the year it was built for).

;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 08:43:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2004, 08:41:51 AM »

For Ask BK Day:

The first season of GREEN ACRES is coming out on DVD next week. Did you like this increasingly surrealistic comedy or was it just too silly for you?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2004, 08:42:52 AM »

Kristi Yamaguchi!!!

D'OH!

I totally blanked on the name!

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2004, 08:46:15 AM »

DR Ron, I know you HAD to have been joking about which Kristi I was talking about. There has only been one national ladies champion named Kristi.

I agree with you about Michael's father. He seems to be the one very conscious of image. As a former Olympic gymnast, he probably got propositioned a lot in his younger days, too.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2004, 08:48:16 AM »

Kurt Browning is stuck in Portland with the rest of humanity due to the ice and PDX (the airport) cancelling all flights.  They interviewed him last night on the news.

Tonya Harding has had a nose job--has anyone else noticed?  Compare current pics to her from several years ago.  The first time we noticed this was when she was on The Weakest Link.  My wife was a news anchor for the station in Portland that broke the Harding story.  I was in the newsroom with her one day when a reporter came in and divulged he had been able to intercept calls her coach had made to her attorney on a cellphone revealing much interesting information.  Can you believe these sneaky reporter types?  The Harding story is one of the reasons my wife left the news business--it had become All Tonya, All the Time 24/7 and it got to be rather a drag.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2004, 08:49:02 AM »

Ron I think that stadium was built for the 1896 Olympics, although Jayne Mansfield thought it was built as a set for her movie IT HAPPENED IN ATHENS!

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2004, 08:51:51 AM »

Poor Kurt Browning had the same two disappointing Olympic experiences that Michelle Kwan had, though Michelle medaled in both of her Olympics, nothing to be ashamed of.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2004, 08:54:44 AM »

Oh, LC! How pathetic are we?  I did exactly the same thing when I visited Athens in 1975.  I ran a lap around the Olympic Stadium (don't recall the year it was built for).

;D

Hehe.. I was going to ask why you called me Ann.  I am the other Hawaiian. ;)  Now it won't make sense, so never mind.

I figure it is the job of the athletes to run around the stadium, and mine to be a spectator.  Isn't the Olympic Stadium in Athens from 1896?  I think they have built another one for this year, so you will have to go and run around that one.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2004, 08:58:35 AM »

Dear me, how did everything become all about Olympic figure skaters today?

The only one I ever had anything to do with was Dorothy Hamill, whose cute pixie cut I adopted at the age of 7 (after my older cousin convinced me that Noxema in the hair wouldn't wash out...it had to be CUT out).  I wouldn't know a triple axle from a figure 8.

BK, I'd like to know which is your favorite Jean Harlow movie (if you have one...if not, what is your favorite movie featuring another sex symbol).
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2004, 09:01:27 AM »

Good Morning!

This will have to be a quick post since I want to get at least one and a half charts done this afternoon... Then I will call it a day - for now - on this project.  I'll probably do some more work on it this weekend, but from home in Richmond.  There's still one piece that needs to be transcribed in a way, but due to some script and staging concerns it's still in a very amorphous state - as opposed to an amorous state (kind of like when I look at MBarnum's pic ;-) )

RE: Michael Weiss - He trains right up the road from my parents' house in Fairfax, and if I remember correctly, his family runs a gym.  Workout anyone?  -I've also seen him and his family out shopping at the Mall a few times.  Great smile - and he's actually doing radio spots for a "soft touch" dentist in the area right now.

RE: Kurt Browning - That exhibition routine he does to "Brick House"... and in those leather (faux or otherwise) pants... (I'll stop there... for now...)

RE: Skating jumps - I usually watch figure skating whenever it's on, but I still can't tell one jump from another.  I remember during the Salt Lake City Olypics they did a nice breakdown of all the jumps, complete with slow-motion computer and live action demonstrations.  But once things got back up to speed, it was all Greek to me - or maybe Norwegian.  ???

For Ask BK Day:

When you compose and/or arrange a song, how "filled out" is your initial sketch - or even second of third draft?  Or do you, like myself, tend to keep a lot of things in your head, and then put them into the final product?

OK - It's Noon here on the East Coast... Time to work...  Back later.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2004, 09:03:37 AM »

You won't believe it, dear readers - I can barely believe it myself and yet it is true so I must.  I, BK, have just performed a triple lutz.  I received a large applause from those who witnessed said lutz.

Jrand: Yes, Benjamin does appear in plays.

MattH: Amazingly, I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Green Acres.  It was one of Vinnie's favorites, though.  

Re Mike Nichols dreams and the creative process: I don't know that I've gotten great creativity from actual dreams themselves (although I've used actual dreams in all three Kritzer books) but I do get some amazing ideas and thoughts as I'm lying in bed awaiting sleep - I've  taken to keeping a pad next to my bed and I actually wrote some of the best stuff for all three books just before nodding off.  Sentences, words, plot points - it's really my favorite time.  I finally narrowed down what I'm about to write whilst lying in bed at bedtime, and I've been figuring out all the details then, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2004, 09:04:07 AM »

Michael Weiss' father is S C A R Y looking, but yes he was a Olympic Gymnast years ago.  

Kurt stuck in Portland, oh my.  And in fact DR JMK, Tonya-Nancy happened exactly 10 years ago yesterday!
I haven't noticed Tonya's nose bob because I try to avoid her when possible.  

Does Chris Bowman still do commentary?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2004, 09:04:40 AM »

DR Lulu:  The current topic is what it is...spurred by DR MattH's excitement expressed last night about the U.S. National Figure Skating Championships that are being held this week.

That drew a lot of us "ice fans" out into the open, that's all.

The conversation can go wherever the wind blows it...that's what makes this forum fun.  Last night, it went from the various ice skating jumps to a fantasia on Mars, and now it's back again.

Where is your older cousin now?  Serving 20-30 for convincing an accountant to doctor the books?????

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2004, 09:06:00 AM »

Oh my god!  DID Chris Bowman ever do commentary?

I know he coaches now...and he's twice the man he was...if not three times the man.

And he's not wearing those huge fur coats the Russian coaches wear!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2004, 09:09:21 AM »

I saw Kurt Browning in a TV special recently (it may have been the retrospective of Stars on Ice), but Kurt Browning was on the ice with several other skaters including Ilia Kulik.

Kurt Browning is small.  I mean, he's diminutive.  He has such a long, lean, lanky look on ice but pitted against other skaters, you see the reality.  He probably has -0.002 body fat!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2004, 09:10:40 AM »

I have nothing to say, but lest I be accused of lurking I'll say it. "Nothing."

Oh... I just thought of a DR's question re figure skating....Anybody remember Toller Cranston? I do believe he was the one who really broke through the barrier of male skaters being more balletic, emotional, artistic, free - you choose the word.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2004, 09:11:56 AM »

I'm off to the Post Office. Will check in later to see if Toller C. is discussed.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »

Christopher Bowman - someone I'd rather not think about. I always found him obnoxious on the ice and another one whose talent was squandered due to a lack of discipline and drive. (He had plenty of drive - for all the wrong things instead of training.)

His current size is no surprise to me. Over the course of two or three years even when he was skating, he gained an enormous amount of weigt, one reason why he got to the point he could no longer even attempt triple axels. He was just too tall and thick to be able to revolve in the air 3 1/2 times and land cleanly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2004, 09:12:59 AM »

TCB: Yes, I will adopt you.

Jrand: Because my Internet news will not appeal to 100% of our readers, but it will appeal to many - certainly it appeals to me.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2004, 09:13:34 AM »

DR Panni, I am jealous of the 21 Grams Q&A!  I love both actors and would love to try to meet them.  Your daughter is very lucky. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up