Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS  (Read 26153 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 06:18:52 AM »

[size=8]PAGE TWO[/size]
[/b][/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 06:19:42 AM »

Page what?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 06:19:56 AM »

Tuesday seems like Monday.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 06:23:12 AM »

DR Ginny, I'll bet I can guess what YOU'RE having for lunch today!!  And I wish I was there to sample the baked beans on pumpernickel...   :)

DR singdaw - if not today, then that's what I'll take for my lunch when I (reluctantly) go back to work tomorrow.

Speaking of going back to work, DS Rob did that this morning.  He's feeling much better, but, Mom that I am, I'm worried that he'll push himself too hard and have a relapse.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 06:23:48 AM »

Since I seem to be the only employee of the State of Washington to come to work today, I decided to post at HHW to help overcome my fear of loneliness.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 06:24:56 AM »

Tuesday seems like Monday.

As long as Friday doesn't seem like Monday.
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 06:25:24 AM »

Here's a question for all you garden experts out there--what the heck do they mean when they say to pinch back petunias after they've done flowering?  I've heard this for years and I still have no idea where to pinch the plant.  I've researched this on the web and get all kinds of different answers.  So I ask, where do you pinch your petunia?

I hope this is not too personal a question to ask this early in the morning.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 06:29:17 AM »

Here's hoping that DR Elmore is found unfit

to sit on a jury, that is!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2007, 06:29:35 AM »

Here's a question for all you garden experts out there--what the heck do they mean when they say to pinch back petunias after they've done flowering?  I've heard this for years and I still have no idea where to pinch the plant.  I've researched this on the web and get all kinds of different answers.  So I ask, where do you pinch your petunia?

I hope this is not too personal a question to ask this early in the morning.

After you get the answer to this question, DR D (t M) perhaps you could find out where to pinch a pansy.
“One thing’s universal,

singdaw

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2007, 06:32:11 AM »

I decided to post at HHW to help overcome my fear of loneliness.

Haven't you heard, DR TCB?  No One is Alone...     :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 06:32:49 AM »

After you get the answer to this question, DR D (t M) perhaps you could find out where to pinch a pansy.

It's been my experience that the pansy pinches first.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 06:33:30 AM »

perhaps you could find out where to pinch a pansy.

DR TCB, at the next HHW reunion, you're sitting next to me!   ;)

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 06:37:35 AM »

Oh, and by the way, DR Edisaurus, to answer your question from a few days ago...

I don't know how the latest Apted "UP" movie is, as I need to watch them in order, and I haven't watched any of them yet...only read about them and always wanted to see them.  And at the rate I watch movies, I will probably be a while!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 06:38:44 AM »

Since this is Monday on Tuesday, allow me to also make it Wednesday on Tuesday and Ask BK a question.

BK, my friend John Kelly sent you an e-mail asking about an interview that you did for STARLOG Magazine back in 1981.  The topic of the interview was the film THE CREATURE WASN'T NICE.  You wrote back telling him that you did not have a copy of that interview either.  Mr. Kelly has since found the issue in question; Number 52, November, 1981.  Would you like to have a photo copy of the inteview, or now that you know the issue, will you pursue a copy of the magazine on your own?

Or did you wish to contact Mr. Kelly himself, and see about obtaining the issue from him?  
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 06:48:55 AM »

Here are my comments on last night's episode of THE LOT:

Where to start?

Like DRs Jose and Jrand i was really annoyed that they didn't continue where they left off last week.  The show was so bizarre to me. I mean the movies were okay. But the format was so different from the interesting reality format the last 2 shows.

1.I liked the reality style of the other episodes better than just showing the full films. There was no interactions between the contestants (will it always be this way?)

2.Did i miss something? They went from 36 to 18 people without ever showing us who got cut? They did not show them do their movies from last week. Total lapse!  And quite maddening. They didn't show the eliminations or the movies!

3.How did we get these 18?

4. If they don't show us the groupings of 3 from last week (to remind us)are we just supposed to remember who everyone is?

5. After they show each movie why aren't they putting up the phone number to call (the woman host is just saying it). Totally bizarre. And in fact i don't believe they EVER put up the numbers. Crazy. Stupid. And why don't they remind people how many times you can vote or for how long.

6. I don't really like this host.

I get that when you get to a different part of the competition the format can change a bit.  But i loved the interaction from last week.  This week is so serious and not the same tone.  And i really want to know what happened to their movies last week and how everyone got eliminated.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 07:07:51 AM »

Here's a question for all you garden experts out there--what the heck do they mean when they say to pinch back petunias after they've done flowering?  

DR DtM, I bought some wonderufl petunias while I was in Alabama, and looked up info when I got home to see how to keep them beautiful. I found this useful information to keep them blooming:

If you look at both petunias you'll notice that the flowers form on the ends of the shoots.  This means that if you encourage more shoots, you have more flowers, and the way to produce more shoots is to pinch the ends off the stems that you have.  That's step one to keeping your petunias blooming.

Step two is to regularly fertilize using a fertilizer that is a 20-20-20 or equivalent.  (10-10-10) etc.  So called "blossom booster" fertilizers are NOT as good - these annuals bloom better with higher nitrogen levels.

Step three is to dead head your trailing petunia regularly by cutting off the spent flowers BELOW the flower, being sure to cut off the swollen place just below the flower.  This is the area seeds are developing in, and it's the seeds you want to be sure to remove.  The wave (petunia) does not need to be deadheaded.

Step four  is to cut back a few of your stems every two or three weeks.... cut four or five stems back by half every other week to keep plant bushy and flowers all over the plant instead of just on the ends.  

Step five is to water deeply when dry.  If these are in baskets this might be twice a day in hot weather.... don't keep them wet, but don't let them wilt either.  You'll develop the "eye" to tell if it's thirsty, and you can lift the pot to see if it's getting light (dry) and will soon need water.   NEVER FERTILIZE A THIRSTY PLANT.  Water first and then fertilize a couple of hours later, or use time release fertilizer.

Hope this helps!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 07:17:59 AM »

Good morning!

Same report as yesterday. Coolish morning but very hot later today. The central A/C is begging to be turned on, but I'm resisting and just using fans around the house.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 07:19:01 AM »

Those were fabulous pictures last night, DR Edi. Thanks for posting them.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 07:22:35 AM »

More pictures from Florida.

Here is a picture of the entire group after our Birthday Tony game.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 07:23:24 AM »

Favorite movies not on DVD:

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM

a lot of early Norma Shearer including THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET, STRANGE INTERLUDE, PRIVATE LIVES, and A FREE SOUL.

several Joan Crawford melodramas: THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS, GOODBYE MY FANCY, FEMALE ON THE BEACH.

Ken Russell's THE BOY FRIEND and THE MUSIC LOVERS

THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE

MGM musicals by the ton: I LOVE MELVIN, TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE, HIT THE DECK, KISMET, EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS, DEEP IN MY HEART.

THE BOYS IN THE BAND

Ben

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2007, 07:23:27 AM »

Me on the boat as we travel to Pine Island.

I'm King of the World (almost)!

Ben

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2007, 07:23:58 AM »

Relaxing on Pine Island after looking for shells.

Ben

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2007, 07:24:26 AM »

Causing confusion on Pine Island.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2007, 07:25:11 AM »

In reading bk's description of THE THIRD SECRET, it sounds like the writer of the Bruce Willis film COLOR OF NIGHT borrowed heavily from the earlier film. Sounds very, very close.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 07:25:39 AM »

There was lots of foiliage including banana and coconut trees. The coconuts were too high in the tree to photograph but here is a loverly bunch of bananas

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 07:25:50 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up...

And I just watched a segment on "Roker on the Road" that covered Indiana-style BBQ made in Rockville, MD.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 07:26:16 AM »

Your pictorial tour of Captiva will continue tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 07:27:08 AM »

Happily, some of my most wanted movies on DVD have been announced (though some not until 2008):

FLAMINGO ROAD, TORCH SONG, WORDS & MUSIC, the Mickey/Judy musicals.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 07:28:41 AM »

I didn't end up going out with best friend John yesterday, so we should be doing lunch today.

I noticed the DVR had picked up the well reviewed documentary WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR, so I'm anxious to finally get to see this. It's not that long, so I'll probably get to it sometime today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 07:28:48 AM »

DR Ben - Nice pics.  -And I think I still have a small jar filled with shells I collected on Captiva.  Somewhere.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up