Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: TERMS OF ENDEARMENT  (Read 33335 times)

Jed

Re:TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
« Reply #360 on: January 08, 2004, 11:21:38 PM »

I've noticed that Miss Cutie Pie herself, Laura II, has been here for quite some time, but has yet to regale us with tales of her sparkling dinner party.  Most unseemly, says I!

47...  It would take a TD-ian feat to do those all tonight, but very possibly this weekend...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jason

« Reply #361 on: January 08, 2004, 11:21:50 PM »

AVENUE Q is quite hummable, DR Jed...I agree. But, for some reason, once I got WICKED, I couldn't stop listening. In fact, at one time I had "Defying Gravity" on repeat and I listened to it for HOURS. Sick? Yes. That song does something for me, though...it sort of inspires me. Is that stupid to admit? "As Long As Your Mine" is really growing on me, too...and Idina just blows me away in "The Wizard and I." If only I could sing pop like that! And don't even get me started on Ms. Kristi...she basically can do no wrong in my eyes...and I keep hoping her success will rub off on me, seeing how we graduated from the same school and all. ;D

Anyone noticed the really sad (sad "how unfortunate," not sad "boo-hoo") sounding clarinet solo in "As Long As Your Mine?" It's during the dialogue toward the end of the song...playing the main "dum-dee-dum-dum-dum-dummmmm" motif. It sounds overly-reedy, and it doesn't really color the song with the right, well...color. Clarinets are usually used to evoke a feeling of loneliness. This just sort of sticks out at you, like so much fish. But what do I know about orchestrations--I'm a singer!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:26:11 PM by Jason »

Laura II

« Reply #362 on: January 08, 2004, 11:24:32 PM »

Ok, I have just caught up on today's posts!

Interesting night, I must say. Thank you, Jed and Jennifer for asking about it (and Sarah for mentioning it)!

Well, the night ended at about 12:30 (too early!). It began this afternoon when I made cupcakes that my friend Tiff requested. I make them in ice cream cones and ice them to look like ice cream. They're very cute, and they're practically the only thing I make!

At around 4:30, I got a call from our very own Sarah, who said that she had to work, so she couldn't make it. I missed her, but I totally understand!

People were supposed to arrive at about 6:00, and I just waited around (and listened to Wicked until then. At around 5:55, I called my friend Laura to ask her a question, and like two minutes later, my cell rang...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:26:19 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #363 on: January 08, 2004, 11:24:33 PM »

Hey Emily: are you frozen in your basement yet? :)

Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Hey, Jennifer.  Has your tongue stuck to any metal objects since it got so cold?

:)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2004, 11:24:40 PM »

Okay, I lied.  I'll add this:

I've listened to both Avenue Q and Wicked several times over the last few weeks.  They both have the plusses and minuses (pli and mini?) and I like them both very much for very different reasons (which I won't go into at this late hour because I don't want to).  But I've specifically listened to them in equal amounts.  For every new CD that I get, I try to make sure that I listen to it at least three times within the first week.  That way I at least become familiar with it to be able to decide if I actually like it or not.  I like both Avenue Q and Wicked.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2004, 11:25:17 PM »

I suspect DR Ann is drowning in a sea of catchup. No not ketchup (unless she is feeling particularly saucy). I am becoming Americanised! We don't use the term "ketchup" in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #366 on: January 08, 2004, 11:27:54 PM »

We spell "Americanized" with a Z here in the States. ;)

That's "Americanized" with a Z
Not "Americanised" with an S
'Cause "Americanised" with an S goes "Ssss," not "Zzzz..."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:28:41 PM by Jason »

Tomovoz

« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2004, 11:28:34 PM »

DR Laura II has been making terms of endearment this afternoon.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #368 on: January 08, 2004, 11:29:05 PM »

Ooo, Jason, just listened to the spot you mentioned.  I'd have to say that clarinet is definitely... well... less than pleasant, how's that? :)

George

« Reply #369 on: January 08, 2004, 11:30:07 PM »

I suspect DR Ann is drowning in a sea of catchup. No not ketchup (unless she is feeling particularly saucy). I am becoming Americanised! We don't use the term "ketchup" in OZ.

Then there's also catsup.  I have a friend who pronounces it (no matter how it's spelled) as kat-sup.  He never says katch-up or even ketch-up (Mary, Merry, Marry ;D )
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2004, 11:30:20 PM »

Another learning experience Jason. Thanks. We of course don't say ZEE either.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #371 on: January 08, 2004, 11:30:40 PM »

Huzzah!  Ask for tales of the dinner party, and here they are!

45... :D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2004, 11:31:35 PM »

How about some recipes for leftover turkey?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jed

« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2004, 11:32:10 PM »

Ketchup/catsup... either spelling I pronounce it meh-ree. :D

Jason

« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2004, 11:32:33 PM »

Haha! You say "Zed" like "Jed!"

That's "Zed" with a Zed...
Not "Jed" with a...um...J?
'Cause "Jed" with a J goes "Juh," not "Z..uh..."

Tom: I hope you know I wasn't trying to correct you...I just thought the song parody would be fun...

Laura II

« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2004, 11:32:50 PM »

Who was on the phone, you ask? Drew. Yes, Drew. The boy who still makes me a little jittery (in a good way!) when I talk to/see him. He was on my street, he said, and just wanted to make sure he was at the right house. When I said yes, we hung up after saying we'd see each other in a few seconds.

Now, let me just say that this was something that sort of worried me. Back in high school, Drew was in the extremely popular group. We were friendly, but I can't say we hung out a lot. So yes, when I had invited him, I had expected to get a no. Well, I got a yes. While I was happy, I was also a bit nervous. I don't know why...I guess I'm just silly. Anyway, I was hoping and praying that someone would arrive before him because I didn't want to entertain him alone! Thank God Meg and Laura walked into the house before he did. Unfortunately Meg parked in the driveway before my dad got home, so she and Laura went to move the car. I don't know *why* it took two people to do that! This left Drew in the house with my mom and me, and of course, my mom, who had told me she didn't really want to entertain my friends (that was my job), started asking him about college and stuff. (more will follow)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Tomovoz

« Reply #376 on: January 08, 2004, 11:32:56 PM »

It seems DR Ann has been replaced on the board by another fellow Washingtonian. Rehearsal tales please TCB.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #377 on: January 08, 2004, 11:33:22 PM »

No matter what we do, we'll never get enough posts tonight to hit 18,000.

It won't happen in a kazillion years!!!!!!!!

George

« Reply #378 on: January 08, 2004, 11:33:31 PM »

Tonight I got a copy of LIZZIE BORDEN starring our very own Ms. Allison Fraser. This is my first listen and I'm not quite sure what my thoughts are yet. It's so radically different from WICKED, which is what I've been marinating in for the last few weeks, that I'm suffering from genre shock. :) Overall, I think I'm enjoying it.

Jason, I also have that recording of Lizzie Bordon.  I think it's quite interesting and very good.  Do give it a chance.  Also, Alison Fraser has really grown as a singer since her first recording, which was (I think) In Trousers.  Her voice has improved so much...not that she was bad, but just seemed like she had no vocal training at that point in her life.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #379 on: January 08, 2004, 11:34:19 PM »

But we are about 17 posts away from that milestone!  Just a few moments ago, it was 40 posts.

Tomovoz

« Reply #380 on: January 08, 2004, 11:34:37 PM »

Now I am wondering if I should pronouncing Jed as JEE.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #381 on: January 08, 2004, 11:35:09 PM »

If I recall correctly from my trip, you call ketchup (or catsup if you prefer) simply what it is: tomato sauce.

I remember when we had lunch on one of the various piers we had lunch on, and there were pitchers marked "tomato sauce".  Hmm... After some deducing - other pitchers were labeled "cocktail sauce", "tartar sauce", "malt vingegar", etc... I realized "tomato sauce" was indeed just "ketchup".  -Well, once I saw someone pour some "tomato sauce" out and saw what it looked like.. then when I poured some out and tasted it.

Hmm... Now I'm thinking about that amazing calamari I had... and the prawns... and the oysters... and the "mudbugs"... and the crab legs...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #382 on: January 08, 2004, 11:36:12 PM »

Off to bed, off to bed.  We don't need no stinking off to bed.  I'll be swacked and pickled in moonshine - I went off not to bed but to shave and blow me over with a macaroon if there wasn't a posting frenzy when I returned.  Although the beach babe still hasn't posted.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #383 on: January 08, 2004, 11:36:26 PM »

You can DO it, Jed!

George

« Reply #384 on: January 08, 2004, 11:36:38 PM »

Only 13 more...after this post until we hit 18,000!!  PPPUUUSSSHHH!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:37:52 PM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #385 on: January 08, 2004, 11:38:44 PM »

And of course we don't use the term "pitcher" either Jose.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #386 on: January 08, 2004, 11:39:31 PM »

Okay, I lied about going to bed.  No, not lied at all (a Mrs. Lovett reference)...I changed my mind.  I'm allowed to do that!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #387 on: January 08, 2004, 11:40:11 PM »

If only Maya and Ann would come out of hibernation we might just make 18,000 this very evening.  I did not think it possible but I might just be proven wrong.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #388 on: January 08, 2004, 11:40:21 PM »

PUSH!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #389 on: January 08, 2004, 11:40:29 PM »

Now I'm listening to the Bernadette Peters' recording of GYPSY that a friend let me borrow. Hmm...I don't remember her sounding this good (and I use the term "good" VERY lightly) when I saw her...either time I saw her! In fact, the first time I saw her, she could barely speak, let alone sing. Her first line came out, "S-ng Ow --eez!"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up