Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLANK PAGE  (Read 38073 times)

Michael

Re:THE BLANK PAGE
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:46 AM »

tod
glad that dr singdaw brought the clarification question first.

I will don't have a favorite to add to the topic, but singdaw's tart looks real good.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2007, 06:57:20 AM »

TOD:

Do pumpkins count?  I can make killer Jack O'Lanterns.  My sister and I did those intricate design carvings with regular kitchen utensils years before they became popular and were sold in sets with the easy to use tools.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2007, 07:09:04 AM »

And here, from our internal calendar, is the very Webinar of which DR Ginny speaks (along with some other events happening in our Cleveland office)

Cleveland
10:00 am -- Webinar: Spotlight on Human Services Grantmaking in Ohio Presenter: Cindy Bailie, Kippy Ungerleider King, Mathile Family Foundation & Quentin McCorvey, Key Foundation
2:00 pm -- Finding Foundation Support for Your Education @ Classroom Presenter: Achala Wali
3:00 pm -- Getting Started with Foundation Grants to Individuals Online @ Computer Lab Presenter: Achala Wali

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up.

And Martha Stewart was just asked about her shoes.  Exciting, huh?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »

Good morning!

Warmer this morning, so opening everything up and blowing out the house with the attic fan is only partially refreshing this morning. From the looks of the five-day forecast, the nice, cool mornings are now a thing of the past. The central A/C is looking more and more like a coming reality.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2007, 07:45:40 AM »

I haven't seen ARTISTS AND MODELS since I was a kid. I loved all of the Martin & Lewis movies then. I find many of them unwatchable today, but I'd love to see this one again for the cast if nothing else.

Shirley has said that working on the film was pretty much a nightmare. M&L were in a very bad place by this time and never spoke to each other face to face. They would either talk about one another in the other's presence: Jerry to director: "Is he going to say it THAT way?"

or they would speak through intermediaries. Shirley got along with both of them very well, and liked them both. She didn't care for Hal B. Wallis (she always calls him "Hal B. Wallis" as she found him puffed up with his own importance) despite his owning her contract at the time.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2007, 07:48:15 AM »

I love fruit very much, and I wish it wasn't so expensive as I'd eat a lot more of it if it wasn't so high. As I grown older, I've developed much more a taste for vegetables, too. I was a very picky eater as a kid and wouldn't touch asparagus or brocolli or squash. Now, I love all of them.

Don't have any fancy cooking stories with them, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »

I guess I'll record STUDIO 60 again tonight (it may not be on much longer if it can't pull in higher than 3.9 million viewers against all rerun competition on the other networks).

But I plan to spend another day watching DVDs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 07:52:17 AM »

Regarding the burger conversation from last night (well Jose's musings on burgers anyway), there are two excellent burger places in Chelsea. One is in the Gayborhood of Eighth Avenue between 14th Street and 23rd Street. It's called

Better Burger

I know, I know, if you're going to eat a burger, eat a burger, but these are good healthy burgers. You can get meat burgers, turkey burgers and veggie burgers and they have "healthy" hot dogs, if that isn't an oxymoron. The fries, cole slaw and chili sides are also very good. There are Better Burgers around the city with another location on 9th Avenue between 42nd and 43rd Street (close to FJL). I will go there sometimes if I'm seeing a show at Playwrights Horizons and I need a quick, tasty meal.

Ah, yes, Better Burger!  Another good burger in NYC.  Just be careful of their fries - which are baked :): those small wedges of potato are hot(!!).  I've burned my tongue a few times thinking they had cooled off enough. However, one of their smoothies helps to ease the burn.

One additional "amenity" about the Chelsea location is that it is located near New York Sports Club, and there are usually some Chelsea "bois" and men in there for their pre- or post-workout meal.

The other place is called

New York Burger Co.

It's on Sixth Avenue between 21st and 22nd Street. They have very good burgers and very good hot dogs and all kinds of fixings. They also offer grilled chicken. If you're on a shopping excursion up or down Sixth Avenue and you get hungry I recommend it. You will leave full so you will need to continue your walking to work off the meal.

You have excellent taste, DR Ben!  :)

And there's also the similarly menu'd American Burger & Co. near Macy's on 32nd Street.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2007, 07:52:44 AM »

Forgot to mention--yesterday at lunch, my boss and I went for a walk and browsed around at Freeman's Auction House on Chestnut Street.  They were showing a fine book and poster sale.  As we strolled through the book section, I happened to glance on a shelf that had a copy of Albee's WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?  I had thought that it must be autographed, so I gingerly opened to cover and flipped through the frontis pages.  Sure enough, there were two signatures--the first was small and sort of printed and the other a large swirly script.  I couldn't make out either "Edward" or "Albee" from the script, so I focused on the printed signature--Richard Burton.  The other name became immediately recognizable--Elizabeth Taylor.  I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped.  

I planned to check out the Freeman's website when I got back to the office to see what the book was going for, but I got wrapped up in other issues and forgot about it until today.  I just checked it out and the book was going for $200 to $400.  Unfortunately, yesterday was the last day for the auction.  Damn!  I would have liked to have tried for that book.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2007, 07:57:19 AM »

So, the line-up will be ANGEL, THE CLOSER, MORNING GLORY, and an episode of PLANET EARTH which I want to see again now that I uploaded the new scaling firmware upgrade in the Blu-ray player.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2007, 08:19:20 AM »

Because I am neither chef nor cook of any kind, the most interesting thing I have done with fruit or vegetables is....eat them.

That's been the extent of my experience, as well. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2007, 08:21:18 AM »

I am going to try to work today.  My back keeps getting worse and worse, but I refuse to give in to the pain.  I am determined that nothing is going to keep me from seeing the WSMA at the end of June.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~SUPER BACK VIBES SO THAT TCB CAN SEE THE WSMA!!!!~~~[/move]

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »

I'm up early (well, early for me)...so I might as well go to work early!

:D

George

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2007, 08:22:37 AM »

Have a good day, all!

Ben

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2007, 08:23:35 AM »

If you go in early are you allowed to leave early?

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2007, 08:31:28 AM »

Heading down now to shave and shower since I'm having lunch today with best friend John.

WBBL.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »

BK, where is the book fair today?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2007, 08:50:45 AM »

I love fruit very much, and I wish it wasn't so expensive as I'd eat a lot more of it if it wasn't so high. As I grown older, I've developed much more a taste for vegetables, too. I was a very picky eater as a kid and wouldn't touch asparagus or brocolli or squash. Now, I love all of them.

Don't have any fancy cooking stories with them, however.

How about collards and turnip greens......YUMMMMMMMM?

Or Swiss chard?

As for fruit, I think you'll find a vast price difference between supermarkets and farmer's markets, should you be inclined to seek one out.

I've gotten some wonderful bargains at farmer's markets...and the fruit is infinitely tastier...and fresher!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:01:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »

Well...it's the ultimate day of May.

I wonder.  Has May been "depraved in every way" for any of you?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »

Tonight on tv we have the new Mark Burnett series Pirate Masters (in the Survivor timeslot on CBS).  I am quite curious about this show since it sounds so odd.

We also have another So You Think You can Dance.  And a new Studio 60.

BTW, re: last night's SYTYCD.  

Besides having Benji's sister (how interesting to have benji, his cousin heidi and now his sister). I think she is very good. But I also think because she is benji's sister that people will vote for her.

I was so so so happy to get Hawk back (the asian guy with the british accent who got kicked off the show last year because he didn't have a work visa).

And wow that girl with the arm. I don't really think she's good enough to make the show. But my gosh i can't even imagine what it would be like if she did. There is so much partner work with lifting and holding. I think it would be quite interesting to watch her.

Btw, i'm hoping next week we get the Vegas shows where they train the dancers. I love love love this part of the show!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:59:13 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2007, 08:58:10 AM »

I almost always get my fruit at the supermarket. But i guess it depends if you only go to one store or if you check the weekly circulars. There are always fruit and veggies on sale. You just have to see where they are on special!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2007, 08:58:17 AM »

Tonight on tv we have the new Mark Burnett series Pirate Masters (in the Survivor timeslot on CBS).  I am quite curious about this show since it sounds so odd.

We also have another So You Think You can Dance.  And a new Studio 60.

I am absolutely RELISHING being NOT invested in any more reality TV.  

My nights are my own...to watch whatever or listen to whatever I want from a vast (I say VAST) assortment of DVDs and CDs I've YET to watch/hear.

Ahhh...the sheer bliss of it all.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »

Ah, the pirate show...I may watch it if I don't forget.

singdaw

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2007, 09:02:49 AM »

I wonder.  Has May been "depraved in every way" for any of you?

No.

Uh...no.

Not unless eating 2 [two] Levain's cookies counts.   :)

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2007, 09:03:07 AM »

The post last night made me blush  :)

I wonder if Simon Pegg needs a stand-in...I wonder if stand-in work pays well?

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2007, 09:04:03 AM »

By the way, I will pretty much show my petunias to anyone who asks.

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »

TOD:

I used to make a nifty spinach meatloaf roll. You would make up the meatloaf and spread it out in a flat rectangular shape...then spread the spinach and roll the thing up. After it cooked and you would slice it, it would show a pretty green spiral...sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2007, 09:05:56 AM »

I am absolutely RELISHING being NOT invested in any more reality TV.  

Maybe it's just me. But i love summer reality tv (well some of it).

Here we have Canadian Idol starting next week.

And Big Brother.

And So You Think You Can Dance.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2007, 09:06:16 AM »

I do try to eat several servings of fruit and veggies each day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up