Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A CASABA MELON  (Read 23682 times)

FJL

Re:A CASABA MELON
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 06:36:37 AM »

And one for Melon

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 06:38:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: EXCOGITATE!
Will viewing his lovely assitant in a TOGA EXCITE Albert enough to EXCOGITATE the nuclear bonds of two dissimilar atoms, or will he instead don a toga of his own and explore other kinds of bonding?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2007, 06:44:40 AM »

Would AARDVARKS: THE MUSICAL come before or after A CASABA MELON in the NY Times ABC listings?
Before.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2007, 06:47:52 AM »

How about A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY :   THE MUSICAL?

Aardvarks: The Musical
A Big Hand for the Little Lady: The Musical
A Casaba Melon
[/i]

On the other hand, if it was titled The Aardvarks: A Musical, the NYT would list it back in the Ts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 06:49:29 AM »

Der Brucer knows how to play bridge.

I don't.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 06:51:15 AM »

I would have posted yesterday, but I checked our phone messages before logging on here and, whaddaya know, I was needed at work.

I guess I need to check yesterday's posts to find out what Cillaliz wrote.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2007, 06:53:58 AM »

Good morning, all!  Oy! It was another night of lousy sleep: since Wednesday this lease situation has been a damned yoyo, I'm cranky, and I'm tired of the constant it's-on-it's-off-it's-on . . .

Today I should be heading to the 42nd Street Library to use the microfilm for the New York Telegram, January 10, 1904, to read the remainder of the article on backstage work during a performance of BABES IN TOYLAND, since the bottom of the copy in publicist Townsend Walsh's scrapbook has crumbled into dust.  It's a fascinating article about the 60+ stagehands, electricians, etc. running the performance, and it has a great drawing of a view from the flies as Mabel Barrison sings "I Can't Do the Sum" near the apron so the reader can see the crew setting up the Spider's Forest behind the Garden Wall set.  The 12 Piper Children who perform the number with Miss Barrison each have their own stepladder behind the set to climb onto the garden wall.  

The article details every scene change and the amount of time needed to accomplish it; for instance the Master Toymaker's castle(Act Two Scene Four), which is the finale of Act Two, takes 10 minutes to assemble during Act Two Scene Three and collapses and falls apart during a volcanic eruption covering the stage with lava, steam, and smoke in less than three minutes!

That's my exciting life.  Instead of heading to 42nd Street today, I think I shall stay here and transcribe all the notes I've been taking.

Tonight, I have a birthday party on the East Side at Roosevelt University.  If DR Jose doesn't play A CHORUS LINE tonight, I believe he's my date.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2007, 06:54:50 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  After crashing last night before it was completely dark, I "slept in" this morning until after 7am.  It's a beautiful day here in SW Ohio - sunny, not humid, not too hot (yet).

TOD - a rummy game called Liverpool; also Canasta, which I used to play for hours on end with my grandmother.  My parents and I used to play Spite and Malice.  Haven't played any of these games in a very long time.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:32 AM »

And the good news this morning: Amazon.co.uk has shipped my DVDs(2) of HOT FUZZ!

TOD:  Hearts and gin
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:56:28 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2007, 07:04:24 AM »

I should get going.  There's too much to do before I go to work, and then there's work.

:-\

Ben

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2007, 07:04:59 AM »

For about 3 months in 1982 I lived in a nice but small apartment on E. 65th Street between First and York, just a block from Rockefeller University.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2007, 07:05:30 AM »

Uno

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:47 AM »

Good morning!

Hot! Hot! Hot! Summer here already, and while the living may be easy, it's also TOO WARM.

I long for fall.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2007, 07:11:38 AM »

Ah, DR ELmore, I commiserate with you on a lousy night of sleep; I had one, too. Several things on my mind that just kept forcing me awake at half hour or one hour intervals. At 7 a.m., I finally gave up and got out of bed.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2007, 07:13:10 AM »

With all this time on my hands, I've had a very busy morning already. After I read the newspaper, I went out and mowed my front lawn. Even though it was only 7:45, the air was already quite warm. (And for those of you who think it was thoughtless of me to mow the grass at such an early hour, in my defense, I do have an electric lawnmower which is very quiet.)

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2007, 07:14:42 AM »

Next, I sat down and FORCED myself to watch the remaining special features on the WR: MYSTERIES OF THE ORGANISM DVD. There was a semi-comic autobiographical film made by the director who, at one point, visited Hollywood for an AFI film festival that was showing his film SWEET MOVIE and in the audience was a pot bellied pig.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2007, 07:15:55 AM »

I'm going to have to watch SWEET MOVIE more than likely tonight, and I know it's loaded with disturbing images, but watch it I shall. At least this DVD isn't loaded with special features so I should be able to get through it all tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2007, 07:19:30 AM »

DR Ron, I was thrilled to read of your first experiences with an upconversion player. If I could make a suggestion, watch GYPSY as soon as you can. It's one of the sharpest, most colorful standard definition DVDs I have, and it will look really stunning upconverted.

And, of course, once you start watching REAL HD-DVDs, you'll see an even sharper and clearer image (if the film has a dynamite transfer). As usual, poor source material will not do major improvements to the image you see. (I learned this with TERMINATOR 2. The high def disc was barely sharper than the SD-DVD.)

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 07:21:55 AM »

This afternoon, I'll be watching another episode of THE CLOSER, another ANGEL episode, and I still have STUDIO 60 from Thursday night to watch.

I also would like to revisit ELIZABETH with Cate Blanchette very soon. Reading the book on Henry VIII and his court has made to curious to see that movie again.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2007, 07:24:42 AM »

One more word about upconversion, it really only works if your TV has an HDMI or DVI jack. All new TVs being produced now have at least one HDMI input (most have more than one), and new versions of other hardware like DVD players, cable boxes, satellite dish receivers are likewise coming with these connections since they provide a pure digital connection from source to source.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 07:54:38 AM »

I'm going to have to watch SWEET MOVIE more than likely tonight, and I know it's loaded with disturbing images, but watch it I shall. At least this DVD isn't loaded with special features so I should be able to get through it all tonight.

The director of SWEET MOVIE directed one of my favorite films, MONTENEGRO, which is equally bizarre and filled with very black humor.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2007, 08:06:32 AM »

TOD:  Never been much of a card player.  I remember as a family we used to play a great deal of casnasta at one time.  I now have no memory of how to play the game at all.  I used to enjoy a friendly evening of poker until it suddenly became television  fare and the only game that seems to be played anymore is Texas Hold'em.  What happen to five and seven card draw and stud and Tennessee Walker, and Night Baseball and a whole slew of other variations on the game?

I do play a lot of internet solitaire.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »

The director of SWEET MOVIE directed one of my favorite films, MONTENEGRO, which is equally bizarre and filled with very black humor.

He did THE COCA-COLA KID, too, a few years later.

His films of the early 1970s, however, are too avant garde for my taste.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2007, 08:23:15 AM »

I've told this story before, but when I was in college, hearts was THE game. We'd spend entire weekends playing, sending out for food, and just playing well into the night and then picking up the game the next day.

My first partner and I had a "hearts club" for several years and every Tuesday night was cards night.

I also enjoy gin.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »

Heading downstairs now to do a little reading, and then I'll start fixing lunch.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2007, 08:24:41 AM »

I'll be leaving soon for the AAUW garage sale, to work the 12noon-2pm shift.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2007, 08:46:42 AM »

TOD: Old Maid and a card game called "Authors". We played these constantly on camping trips and during our moves. "Authors" was basically the same as "Go Fish". So we learned the titles and authors of a lot of classic books by Tennyson, Alcott, Dickens, Scott, etc. and actually edned up reading quite a few of them, too.

When I got to High School we played "hearts" a lot. And my Gaga and I played "Spite and Malice". Those were my favorite times, sitting down in the evenings at her kitchen table and playing cards with her.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2007, 08:47:05 AM »

Today are auditions for Annie, Get Your Gun  It will be interesting.  It's an odd show in the sense that no one really does it much.  A theatre gorup in a 30 mile radius did it last year.  While it shouldn't affect us, I can't imagine the "gypsy's" in the area won't want to do this show two years in a row.  Last night at Beauty and the Beast rehearsal, I was trying to talk some of our younger cast members into auditioning.  Reactions were usually "Yuck, that's an old show" I reminded them that they should be well rounded perfromers and get into some of the classics.  In any case it should be an interesting day.

Outa here...

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2007, 08:47:43 AM »

We're off to see where the day takes us, which obviously involves not doing the things we should be doing. It's been a tough week so we're going to be slackards.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2007, 08:53:04 AM »

One for Spite
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up