Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUR CREAM  (Read 26945 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SOUR CREAM
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2004, 07:53:46 PM »

THE MALTESE FALCON, for me one of the two or three best mystery films ever made. Such a collection of memorable characters involved in a plot that kept me at least thoroughly engrossed, continually perplexed, and constantly satisfied with such sharp, tight writing and masterful direction.

Boy, was the 1940s a great decade for mysteries! You've got several Philip Marlowe mysteries: MURDER MY SWEET, THE LADY IN THE LAKE, THE BIG SLEEP, plus the sensational AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Plus those Sherlock Holmes mysteries over in Universal's B-unit, the Chans at Fox (forget the Monogram ones later); MGM had three more THIN MANs in the 1940s, all very entertaining. And Lorre and Greenstreet did two more wonderful mysteries at Warners that lots of people have forgotten: THE VERDICT and THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS. And don't forget MILDRED PIERCE which certainly contains a degree of mystery in it.

And these are just the ones off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 07:58:47 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2004, 07:57:08 PM »

Sorry, bk. I've been watching them all live, so I haven't recorded any of them. But there have been so many twists and surprises in Season 3 that I'll have to get the Season 3 box of discs just to go back over all the episodes to see if all these pieces really do fit together. It's really mind boggling where the show has been taken.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2004, 08:05:41 PM »

Chat sparkled. And Alias, with its twists and turns, was exhausting. (We get it at 6 pm (from Halifax).)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2004, 08:07:26 PM »

Chat will be shutting down in a few moments - then we're back to our lovely posts.  Chat, of course, was sparkling.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2004, 08:10:22 PM »

DR Matt,

I too was wondering if all the pieces do fit together, what with the flashbacks, and who knew what and when, and what side was he/she on at that point in time, and was he really missing a hand (and was it the left or right?) when last we saw him? I imagine they have editors verifying all the details, but it is like a jigsaw puzzle.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2004, 08:12:30 PM »

I've never seen Alias. Guess I should try and catch up.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2004, 08:14:32 PM »

I'm wondering if DR MAttH, or any other forum member, watched and recorded A&E's Breakfast with the Arts this morning.

There were supposed to be visits from the cast of "Wicked", plus something on "LOTR:TROTK".

I kept making little mental notes to set up my TV to record it, and then totally forgot about it in the wake of figure skating euphoria.

Jed

« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2004, 08:21:53 PM »

Quite the lively and sparkling chat tonight.  Hadn't had trouble keeping up in quite awhile... it was fun!

Never seen ALIAS, and I'm afraid it's one of those shows that would be difficult to jump in to midway.  Perhaps when it hits syndication in another 2 years.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »

DR Ron said:  "I kept making little mental notes to set up my TV to record it, and then totally forgot about it in the wake of figure skating euphoria."

Same here, I'm sad to say. I meant to set everything up last night before I went to bed, and when I went downstairs, I got the idea I wanted to watch the ladies' free programs again, so I did, and that totally took my mind off setting up my equipment to catch it. Sorry! Maybe someone else remembered.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2004, 08:27:37 PM »

You're right, DR Jed. You would be hopelessly lost if you just turned on your TV next Sunday and tried to watch. This is one reason ALIAS isn't any higher rated than it is. At this point, you'd need to see the first two years on DVD and then get a friend who could tell you every twist and turn that's happened thus far this year to catch you up: a tall order not easily accomplished.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2004, 08:39:11 PM »

Well, I'm a bit earlier than usual, but since I was up very late last night, I'm going to try for an earlier bedtime tonight. Good night, all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2004, 08:49:22 PM »

What is this early bedtime.  Next, we'll have to start serving you Ovaltine.  

I'm up, baby,  up and at 'em.  I'm here and ready and willing and able, not necessarily in that order.  I am a fountain of energy and a hotbed of activity.  

I am, in short, insane.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2004, 08:49:43 PM »

Perhaps our late-night denizens will be along shortly.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2004, 09:02:51 PM »

Yes, you resident Tacomans, I know the "Aroma" factor has been improved.  I am old enough to remember having to try to hold my breath every time we drove past Aroma--er, Tacoma, especially when my Dad would go to Ft. Lewis (where there is, I am proud to say, a building a named after him).

The PXMK?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2004, 09:05:45 PM »

Last time I checked, Bruce had e-mail.

:)

I am up and thinking about going DOWN, as *I* am on the east coast, and on the east coast it is MIDNIGHT. I iz sleepy.

I wish I could help you all with your TIVO issues, but I don't program it, I just watch what my dad has it record for me. Which is all of three shows: The Real World, Conan O'Brien, and Dr. Phil. I couldn't tell you how to use that stupid remote. Too many buttons. I want "Channel Up" "Channel Down" "Volume Up" "Volume Down", "Record" "Don't Record", the numbers, and a power button. That is IT.

Is it sad that I'm supposed to be the one who is technology-enlightened, and I can't even handle a remote? I am a failure to my generation.

Chat was fun, although I got kicked out, and by the time I got back in, it was empty! I was gone for 5 minutes MAXIMUM!

And to those who heard my "Starbucks guy" story, and promptly left, please don't think I would EVER do something like that. It was merely for the humor of the situation. I am a good girl :).

If I don't get an email in 10-15 minutes, I'm crashing. Too tired to stay awake much longer. I mean, we discussed this in chat: I'm ancient! Y'all were talking and using them new fangled technology things. I done my book learnin' and thats that, ain't got no time to learn 'bout them new things like PDF and porterble tellyphones and whatnot. You young folk with your bumping and grinding and space toys. Kids these days. Why, when *I* was your age...

*This could go on forever...*
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2004, 09:12:19 PM »

DR MattH: I loved Alias as well. I will send you a private message about it (so as not to spoil anything for BK).

But BK you must get the first episodes of this season.

And for those who have never seen the show. Buy/rent/borrow the first 2 seasons on DVD!

Btw, I did see the A&E special on Wicked (although I was so tired last night that i taped over Judging Amy (and I never do that)).  It was quite good.  They had a sit down chat with both Kristin and Idina.  They showed a bit from two numbers (one being "Popular").

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2004, 09:20:27 PM »

I suppose I should start checking my mail a bit more frequently. :)!
...Walk in the sunshine...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2004, 09:22:29 PM »

TCB, when did you live in Portland? And what part of town?

Unfortunately (for me), Michael, I lived in Portland before you had even reached puberty.  I lived in SE Portland (122nd & Powell) back in 1971 and 72.  I worked as an Assistant Manager of a shoe store in a little shopping center called Mall 206.
“One thing’s universal,

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2004, 09:27:59 PM »

I had dinner tonight at Coco's (not my favorite, by a longshot, but it's close and convenient and I didn't feel like cooking or schlepping tonight) and I was served by--I kid you not--a Gomer Pyle clone.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2004, 09:32:03 PM »

Did he have a Rock Hudson clone with him?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 09:32:23 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2004, 09:35:04 PM »

Did he have a Rock Hudson clone with him?

How I wish!  Afraid not, though.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2004, 09:37:44 PM »

I guess we all dream of "Pillow Talk" with Rock.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2004, 09:38:02 PM »

DR TCB,
We also met Eva Gabor, whose autobiography Patty once found in a second-hand-book store. More interesting than the book (Orchids and Salami - the two things Eva kept in her refrigerator) was the inscription, to Mary Margaret McBride (who would have been alive at the time of the find): "To Mary Margaret McBride, who has giving [sic] me so much. Love, Eva." To this day, Patty and I use the "giving me" line.

Back in 1969 (when I was barely out of kindergarten), I attend a National Radio and Television Convention in Washington D.C.  While there I had a chance to meet Zsa Zsa Gabor.  I, of course, had seen her for years on all of the talk shows and had never been impressed, but I must confess that at that time she was one of the most beautiful women I had ever met.  She moved in this haze of perfume (which at the time was sexy) and when I spoke with her, she made me feel like I was the only other person alive on the planet.  It was quite a memorable moment in my life, as corny as that may sound.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2004, 09:40:10 PM »

Maybe I should have made that past tense.
Useless information: Jim Nabors had a #1 song in Australia with his version of "The Impossible Dream" (1968).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 09:40:34 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2004, 09:40:36 PM »

Actually that isn't correct.  Lipton went and got Angel involved because of the star power his gig was able to get him.  The recording was produced by Robert Sher who is notorious for his CDs taking three or four years to come out (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mata Hari - in fact, I was told he'd still be mixing the Papermill Follies had it not been taken from him by the powers that be).

I must have known Robert Sher when I was young, because it took me three or four years to come out, too.
“One thing’s universal,

Laura II

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2004, 09:45:27 PM »

I'm upset that I missed the Wicked stuff on A&E! ::pouting::

I can vouch for the fact that Sarah is a VERY good girl. She was only teasing. :)

Drew leaves tomorrow to go back to school! :( ::sigh:: We were getting even closer too! Hopefully we'll maintain this level of friendship.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

td

• td
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2004, 09:47:07 PM »

I must have known Robert Sher when I was young, because it took me three or four years to come out, too.
Ah, but once you did, nothing, nothing was the same!
Thank goodness for people like you TCB!   ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2004, 10:03:34 PM »

http://www.mrpicassohead.com/

Thanks to janis ian, I found this fun thing to do. . .try it dear readers!  you, too, can be picasso!

td

• td
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2004, 10:07:31 PM »

http://www.hurtwood.demon.co.uk/Fun/copter.swf

another one from ms. ian's site. . .oy, vey! thank God I never wanted to be a pilot.
this game is too addicting.

hey! It's free-for-all sunday, isn't it? ? ?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2004, 10:07:58 PM »

Good evening!

I'm sorry I missed the chat.  However, I'm not sorry that I got the big, bulky window A/C unit into the hall closet - and, consequently rearranged the contents of the hall closet.  I'm not sorry that I got "everything" back in my room - I'll do more sorting, organizing, ditching and recycling tomorrow... and for a few more days after that...

Right now, I'm just hoping that I won't wake up too sore... Nothing feels sore now, but... The room looks pretty good!

So, I showered all the dust off my body - and, hopefully, there won't be too much in the air tonight while I'm sleeping - or trying to sleep...

Oh, and dinner was a nice, 1/2 pound (!) Angus beef hamburger.  Sooooo good.  With good, thick cut bacon, and white cheddar too!  Oh, the fries had salt, pepper and parmesan on them!  YUMMY!!!  -And since I splurged on the meal, I was good when it came to my beverage - Diet Vanilla Coke.

OK - I'm rambling.. and tuckered out.  See you in the morning!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up