Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUR CREAM  (Read 26589 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SOUR CREAM
« on: January 11, 2004, 12:04:37 AM »

Well, you've read the pithy notes, you know all about their subject matter, so post away, post until the fershluganah cows come home.  We are havin' a PAJAMA PARTY just like Frankie and Annette.

;D :o 8) :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 12:06:06 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SOUR CREAM
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 12:10:49 AM »

Hello fourteen GUESTS.  Put you pjs on and join us in the merriment and mirth and laughter and legs!

Laura II

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 12:11:42 AM »

My uncle is on! Yay! :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 12:13:35 AM »

For those who might have missed it - here's a low rez image of the Kritzer Time art by Harvey Schmidt.  The colors don't pop, detail isn't sharp, sides are cut off a bit, but you'll get the idea.

Laura II

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 12:14:48 AM »

BK, I need to read your books! When I get some more money, I shall purchase them! Very nice artwork!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 12:15:05 AM »

I love the book cover art, BK.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 12:16:27 AM »

My uncle is on! Yay! :)
Your uncle is very frustrated.  He just wrote a very good post, and not only got locked out before he could post it but lost what he'd written!

Time to take a breather, read today's notes, and rewrite.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 12:21:12 AM »

Charles Pogue wrote:
There go calling me a cynic again, Ron...Brilliant fantasy films...I think the 5,000 FINGERS OF DR.T is a brilliant fantasy film and says more with its simplicity about childhood fears and childhood wonder than ET with all its bells and whistles and special effects.  I think Korda's THIEF OF BAGHDAD is a brilliant fantasy film.  I think Cocteau's BEAUTY & THE BEAST is a brilliant fantasy film.  I think IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is a brilliant fantasy film.  

I think CITIZEN KANE is a damned fine film!  I think ET is just an okay film.

Ahhh....this is probably going to cost me karma points.  I've thrown bricks at the sacred cow!

You're not going to lose any karma on my account.  I say what I have to say.

You have every right to your opinion.  BUT, you characterized those who don't share your opinion as having a "drooling adoration."  To me, you're saying they (we) are all idiots if we don't agree with you.

It's the opinion coupled with disparaging remarks about those who don't share it I find cynical.  It's not a stretch, by any measure.

I have not suggested you hold back from your opinions on anything, but putting demeaning labels on those who don't share "your" opinions is not something I expect.

If you lose karma, it won't be by my hand -- I think you need all the karma you can get.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 12:22:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 12:23:46 AM »

BK:  What is the medium used for the "Kritzer Time" cover?  Is it chalk? Water color? Oil?  I don't recall your saying.

Laura II

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 12:25:28 AM »

Speaking of uncles, Mr. Craig Brockman knows my uncle in NYC. When I found out, I had a "small world" moment.

It'll be okay, Uncle Woody! Just take a deep healing breath, and you'll be fine in no time!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 12:34:20 AM »

Notes read.  Now, why don't I try writing what I wrote and lost again...

To begin with, a confession.  I have never watched The Maltese Falcon.  I've a good understanding of the plot and the performances, enough to supply me with the gist of what the film is about.  And I am not going to feel guilty about not having seen it.

On the other hand, I've never seen any of the films that make up the Godfather trilogy.  And this is not quite so guilt-free a situation, because der Brucer and I have the films on DVD.  I've simply not sat down and watched them.

Nor have I watched any of the films included in the Chaplin collection released last year.  I've watched some of the supplementary material, but not the films themselves.

I started to watch Kiki's Delivery Service, but got interrupted and didn't finish it.  Same is true of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and A Hard Day's Night.

Waiting for Guffman, Memento, The Man Who Wasn't There, A Beautiful Mind, Road to Perdition, Saving Private Ryan, Adaptation, Braveheart, Gladiator, Spartacus, fer crying out loud, all sit on the shelf, waiting and gathering dust.  So does the entire first set from American Film Theater, and I, Claudius, both of which I insisted on adding to our collection.

Plus there's a boxed set of early Hitchcock der Brucer bought, which I agreed to.

The fault for not taking the time to watch these films, when they are easily in my reach, is my own.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 12:35:36 AM »

Uncles?  Who's an uncle?  Uncles on HHW?

Has there been a sudden outbreak of love children?  Or at least love nieces and nephews?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2004, 12:42:58 AM »

I, for one, treasure each and every Pogue post, whether acerbic or not.  And we ALL need all the karma we can get.  People have taken exception to some of my posts - oh, well.  We are who we are - Mr. Pogue is not treating anyone with disrespect, and I recommend drinking a mint julep and relaxing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2004, 12:44:08 AM »

I am in MY pjs, are all of you?  Because we are havin' a PAJAMA PARTY like Frankie and Annette who, by the way (BTW, in Internet lingo) have both seen Casablanca.  Oh, and Frankie doesn't think much of ET, but Annette LOVES it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2004, 12:44:37 AM »

Well, I'm gonna get ready to turn in... I need to be all nice and rested so I can be even more nice and rested for my midday massage so I can be even more(!) for the rest of the day tomorrow/today!

The "great excavation" went well.  Just a little differently than planned.  Everytime I opened a suitcase or duffel bag, I ended up looking through the pile of books, papers, magazines, etc., it was sitting on - yes, my room is that cluttered right now.  Well, after clearing one pile, then another... then another...  WOW!  I cleared about six square feet of floor space!  I can actually see my area rug again!  So, I just started sorting various other piles and stacks throughout the room.  Placing CDs back on the shelf - I'll put them in order later.  Putting scores back on the shelf.  Putting bills and other papers in the "to be filed" folder in my filing cabinet.  -You get the picture.  So, with the new found floor space, I placed my still-packed bags down on the floor, cleared off my bed, and will now get ready for bed.  I can unpack later - and I now have the room to sort things out better.

-Boy this is rambling.. it's late... I'm sorry...

Thanks for a lovely and lively Saturday night.

-Oh, when's the next chat?
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2004, 12:50:39 AM »

Personally, I've always found ET full of fluff and publicity, and hard to take very seriously.

We are talking about Entertainment Tonight, right?

::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2004, 12:50:46 AM »

So silently I didn't even realize - 19.000 posts!  That would be 1,000 posts in just over two days.  On to the MAJOR landmark - 20,000.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2004, 12:51:31 AM »

Are we or are we not having a PAJAMA PARTY?

LauraII, did you get my message?

LauraI, have you seen a Bogart movie yet.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2004, 12:51:51 AM »

Well, I guess when I say "drooling adoration", I don't need any emoticons to get across nuance, according to you, but I don't think I ever said anything about "idiots" or that everyone had to agree to me.  

For the record I liked ET.  But I don't love ET. I think it's okay. A perfectly servicable film. I just don't think it's one of the greatest films ever made by any stretch, which seems to be its aura.  I don't find it a brilliant fantasy.  I don't find it the second coming of Christ, as I said earlier.  I think Spielberg's done better.  I've never had any compulsion to watch it a second time.  

Here's another whose drooling adoration I don't understand.  I absolutely despise THE TITANIC!  I think it's one of the biggest pieces of bloated tripe ever made.  It made what?  Six billion dollars.  Beats me!  I don't get it.  I seem to be in a minority.

But popularity to me has never been synonymous with quality. Just because tons of folks jump on the bandwagon, doesn't mean I'm going to.  Films come out every week and rack up big box office scores I find absolutely unfathomable.

You want to take it as a personal insult, take it how you want.  I ain't going lose sleep over it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:02:46 AM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2004, 12:51:59 AM »

The dogs, especially Buster, are urging me to get to bed and read, so they can cuddle.  'Night, all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2004, 12:52:43 AM »

Gee, I lost three karma points I think - oh, well, I'll just have to eat some chocolate covered red licorice.  Or, better yet, a big red rasberry.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2004, 12:55:24 AM »

Well, Woody, the way I see it, we could be talking about Entertainment Tonight or ET.  The description seems to fit both.  I'll stick with the whimsey of The 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T myself.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 12:59:59 AM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2004, 12:57:49 AM »

I do love me my Dr. T.  Such great songs.  I've recorded one of them on Michelle Nicastro's second album, Reel Imagination - The Dressing Song.

Laura II

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2004, 12:59:20 AM »

Goodnight Uncle Woody! (Jose, he adopted me as his niece!)

Yes, BK, I got your message!

I have pajamas on! They're pink (go figure :)) with makeup and mirrors. They are flannel; they are warm.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2004, 12:59:41 AM »

Frankie and Annette would be SO disappointed.  I'm in my PJs for heaven's sake.  That's reason enough to have a partay.  Oh, well, I'll be up for another fifteen minutes or so, so those who are in their PJs, let's partay.

Jed

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2004, 01:04:53 AM »

Oh yes, I'm here, fully decked out in PJ's and ready to partay!  Some little pink thing DR Laura II loaned me. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2004, 01:12:18 AM »

Perhaps I'd better put on something pink.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2004, 01:12:36 AM »

Yes, that's it!  Think pink!

Laura II

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2004, 01:13:55 AM »

Black Pink!!! is this year's pink.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:16:08 AM by Laura II »

Laura II

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2004, 01:28:22 AM »

I would be truly honored if we selected pink to be HHW's signature color! (hint hint :D)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up