Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS!  (Read 34947 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:FIREWORKS!
« Reply #330 on: July 04, 2007, 07:33:09 PM »

;D
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #331 on: July 04, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »

Are you from Minnesota?

Yes! I'm a long time theater-goer, and Minneapolis has an excellent theatrical scene.  I do miss the old Guthrie Theater.  >:(

A friend sent me this URL a few months ago so I've lurked for a while. I never knew what I was missing - with the photos and stats - until I joined.

I decided this was an excellent source for theatrical news, so I decided to join and try to pick your brains.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:56:10 PM by 3DDiffusion »
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #332 on: July 04, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »

Do we know the friend who sent you here? We must thank him/her.

MBarnum

« Reply #333 on: July 04, 2007, 07:59:02 PM »

Welcome 3-D, you won't find a nice bunch of people then here on HHW!!! We are very happy that you have joined us!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #334 on: July 04, 2007, 08:04:53 PM »

This truly IS a swell bunch of people. Many of us have met in real life, and we support each other through all our ups and downs.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #335 on: July 04, 2007, 08:15:33 PM »

Yes! I'm a long time theater-goer, and Minneapolis has an excellent theatrical scene.  I do miss the old Guthrie Theater.  >:(

A friend sent me this URL a few months ago so I've lurked for a while. I never knew what I was missing - with the photos and stats - until I joined.

I decided this was an excellent source for theatrical news, so I decided to join and try to pick your brains.

I agree, MPLS has some wonderful theatres. I am attending SPAMALOT at the end of July at the Ordway.

I have also been to the State Theatre some years ago after it was restored.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #336 on: July 04, 2007, 08:16:04 PM »

Welcome 3D!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #337 on: July 04, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »

Had a hard time deciding if i wanted to see MAMA MIA or SPAMALOT...

There was a touring company about 7 or 8 years ago that toured parts of the Upper Midwest doing productions of Shakespeare's A Midsummers Night's Dream.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #338 on: July 04, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »

I took myself a little nap when I went back down; about 45 minutes. I hope I don't pay a high price for that when I try to go to sleep for real in a little while.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #339 on: July 04, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »

MPLS has a wonderful theatre scene.

Are you from the Twin Cities DR 3D?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #340 on: July 04, 2007, 08:20:49 PM »

Minnesota Orchestra Hall is incredible and the acoustics are excellent.  Even the seats are half way decent. I have seen The Chieftains twice there. Once with the just them and the second time with the Minnesota Symphony.

Matt H.

« Reply #341 on: July 04, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »

Ater I woke up and then read a little, I turned the home theater back on and watched the remainder of the DANTE'S COVE episode I had started earlier in the afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2007, 08:22:31 PM »

Next, I put in the Blu-ray disc of PAYBACK. This is a new director's cut of the film, and it is VERY different from the theatrical version. The last third of the film is very different indeed, so it was like I was seeing much of it for the first time. (A new score for the film is in place, too, and the blue diffusion used for the theatrcal version and on the first DVD is gone now.)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2007, 08:23:06 PM »

Well, I have done not much of anything today.  I did manage to get a hair cut.

You did?  Which one?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #344 on: July 04, 2007, 08:23:54 PM »

After that was over, I watched a "making of" documentary on the disc that went into detail about how the film was originally taken away from the director with ten days of reshooting. Nice to hear both sides of the question from the producers (including star Mel Gibson) and the director/writer.

Matt H.

« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2007, 08:24:54 PM »

I ended the evening watching FUNNY GIRL. I hadn't seen it in awhile, and it is such an enjoyable movie. And it seemed suitable for the 4th of July, too, I guess with Fanny Brice and her antics.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2007, 08:25:31 PM »

Well, it's time for me to leave my sister's house.  We had a great afternoon of eating and conversation.  I took a few pictures that I might post later.  The local yokels are starting up the very loud and obnoxious noise makers, so I want to head home soon.  The condo complex where I live has signs all around it saying "NO FIREWORKS AT ALL!"  I'm happy about that. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2007, 08:28:04 PM »

I dont mind fireworks but my mother's dog does not like them. She runs and hides under the couch.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2007, 08:31:31 PM »

DBF and I went to the zoo today and saw several interesting animals. Alas, my camera did not work but I did see a few sights.

The Red River Zoo has raccoon dogs. They were having way too much fun in their pen playing on a log. They are sibling brothers and they were digging and then playing biting each others tails.

Got to see a baby Persian onager and the Red Pandas...

One of my favorite exhibits is the meerkats. They were busy digging, sleeping and some were chirping.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »

So, who is the young man who needs a shave who is singing "America the Beautiful" and can't find a note and stay with it?

Mr. American Idol, himself, Eliot Yamin.

*I think he was trying to channel the late Ray Charles.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure I just heard: "Jeremiah was a crawdad."

My hearing must be going.

I did a few aural double-takes myself during Yolanda Adams' gospel-ized version of "Joy to the World" - the Three Dog Night version.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2007, 08:37:14 PM »

Oh, Freddy's a cat!

Well, Freddie is no dog!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »

To my utter amazement, it cooled down here again tonight, and I've cut off the A/C and started up the attic fan and p[ened the doors and windows. One more night of really comfortable sleep.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2007, 08:39:32 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - I can't wait to see your reaction to Ms. Neuwirth's interpretations of "All That Jazz" and "Cabaret".  To my ears, it sounded like she was trying to channel Lotte Lenya, Gwen Verdon and Donna Murphy imitating Lotte Lenya... And in the original keys too.

Frankly, although she does have quite the reputation as a "tough broad" - just ask DR elmore - she truly did not sound good at all tonight on the broadcast.  And I know she's not "dumb" enough to put herself in the spotlight like that.  Or maybe she is now.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2007, 08:39:47 PM »

Think I'll head down now to read a little bit and then try to get some sleep.

Good night!

Jason

« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2007, 08:40:24 PM »

Back from my friend's party, which was fantabulous, though I'm still a little hungry. I'm currently boiling a couple of fat-free hot dogs (1 point each), so I need to run for now so I don't burn down the jernt.

I'll be back later...

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2007, 08:40:32 PM »

Interestingly, back in 1984 when I was doing The Good One at the Coast Playhouse, about ten minutes before the show there was a knock on the dressing room door, and it was Paul's mother.  First time I'd seen her since the mid-60s.  

I don't think you told me that, Bruce. But I know that my parents always remembered you, so I'm not surprised that Paul's mother did.

And if you're wondering, MUSIC GUY, yes, I remember Paul, but can't supply any additional information.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #357 on: July 04, 2007, 08:46:09 PM »

Jeanne, I have seen a DVD of the Topper TV series recently. I watched one episode but have no recollection of the picture quality. I imagine it was nothing to write home about but I probably had no complaints either. I have some of those budget Critic's Choice DVDs (Ann Sothern Show, and some others) and they look just fine to my eyes. I say go for it!

Thanks, Mike. I bought a deeply discounted CD once and it was awful, so I've been wary ever since. I'll give this a try.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »

DBF and I had a picnic earlier but we decided not to go to the fireworks. My misstepped at the zoo and went down on my derriere. Hip was too sore to sit on a hard surface.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #359 on: July 04, 2007, 08:49:32 PM »

Awww. . .this one's too easy!
DR TCB, are you developing a J-G crush?

Actually td, I should have had you tell Miss Jones of my continued love.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up