Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: CLUTTER  (Read 30593 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:CLUTTER
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 04:43:13 AM »

Kirk Douglas is not one of my favorites either.....but I certainly have enjoyed some of his performances including

ACE IN THE HOLE, as mentioned by MR BK in the notes, and I am happy to hear about this Criterion release.  The movie always reminds of the first news event I remember hearing my parents talk about which is a little girl who fell into a well....in California I think....her name was Kathy Fiscus....and the country was enthralled with the rescue efforts, which I think, failed.

I also like Mr Douglas in:

The Bad and the Beautiful
Champion
Strangers When We Meet
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 04:45:21 AM »

Page Two Kathy Fiscus Memorial......

Here is a link to a short article, the song isn't there anymore, but it always made me cry to hear it.  :'(

http://www.geocities.com/garycountry/kathyfiscus.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 04:46:16 AM by JRand56 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 04:47:55 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 04:55:05 AM »

Since I wasn't born when it happened, it must have been an event that people talked about for years.

You can watch a short video and hear from Stan Chambers who covered the story for 27 hours for KTLA.

http://www.strangersinthelivingroom.com/video.html

And now that I have cheered up everybody's Saturday!!!  I shall be on my way to work.  8)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 05:01:34 AM »

Kirk Douglas is not one of my favorites either.....but I certainly have enjoyed some of his performances including

ACE IN THE HOLE, as mentioned by MR BK in the notes, and I am happy to hear about this Criterion release.  The movie always reminds of the first news event I remember hearing my parents talk about which is a little girl who fell into a well....in California I think....her name was Kathy Fiscus....and the country was enthralled with the rescue efforts, which I think, failed.

I also like Mr Douglas in:

The Bad and the Beautiful
Champion
Strangers When We Meet

My mother's sister Ruth talked a lot about the Kathy Fiscus tragedy! And, of course, ACE IN THE HOLE is inspired by Floyd Collins, whose tragedy was rather forgotten until Adam Guettel resurrected him.  My father was born near the Collins homestead, and I have memories of either seeing Floyd's tomb or the site where he died.  Perhaps both.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »

And now that I have cheered up everybody's Saturday!!!  I shall be on my way to work.  8)

Ever the proverbial bluebird!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 05:03:11 AM »

I have heard about half the Floyd Collins CD....but never returned to it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 05:05:09 AM »

Ever the proverbial bluebird!

Ain't it the truth.......

DR JENNIFER according to someone I know who works on the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE website for FOX....the bottom three for last week did NOT reflect the actual voting.

The couples with Pasha, Lacey, Dannyl were the ACTUAL lowest vote getters.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2007, 05:15:46 AM »

Now I am off to work, awaiting the NEXT news story that will fascinate the world.

I guess Paris and Anna Nicole are the best we can hope for these days.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 05:16:59 AM »

RE: harry potter (no spoilers).

There is something that confuses me.  Okay perhaps a lot of rabid fans went out at midnight to get the books.  And perhaps some got deliveries early (like DR jose's roomie).

But yahoo's homepage as the headline (something like) "well you've all probably gotten your copes of harry potter by now ..."

Um, it's only 7am in the morning.  I can't even imagine that a small percentage of those who will get the book have it by now.  Am I the only one who finds it completely ubsurd that they think this?

I actually haven't read any of the books (have seen the movies). But i have to head out to costco this morning to get my sister a copy (she is out of town). I suppose i could read it if i wanted to. Although since i haven't read the last ones it probably wouldn't make any sense to me.

Oh one more thing. For all those people trying to avoid spoilers, is it really that hard? I mean obviously if you read an article about the book there might be spoilers (but it seems obvious not to read reviews). But are there actually places that are showing spoilers without warning?

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2007, 05:20:45 AM »

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE RESULTS SPOILERS

DR JENNIFER according to someone I know who works on the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE website for FOX....the bottom three for last week did NOT reflect the actual voting.

The couples with Pasha, Lacey, Dannyl were the ACTUAL lowest vote getters.

Why would he think/say that? I don't think the producers ae allowed to play with the votes.

I've been reading the televisionwithoutpity forum. And most people were completely livid (as was i) about the eliminations this week. Although most people were more upset about anya, than hok.

Personally i loved them both. But i was more upset at the thought of hok not being on tour. His hummingbird routine was something everyone would have wanted to see. And his solo dancing is stunning.

I'd like to hear anything else you know.

But my gosh the show rubbed me (and lots of others) the wrong way this week.

Julie

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »

Hello, Julie!  How are you today? Your sister's been stalking me and you must tell her to stop!

That's not my sister.  It's just the average person's reaction when they see me before I've put on my makeup.  :o

FJL

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2007, 05:26:05 AM »

Good morning.  The trivia contest seems interesting.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »

Good morning, Fred!

Are you going to be using some of the same actors for your production that you used in the reading?

It was fun reading about how THE BRAIN came together. Now we will have 3 shows to read about, all at the same time. It should be an exciting time here!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2007, 06:16:24 AM »

Good morning, Amy.

Obviously, Bruce is not available to us this time around, since he's a little busy.  :)

Julie

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2007, 06:27:51 AM »

I will be meeting up with some friends for brunch a little bit later at Opia, which is right around the corner from . . . City Center.  Now, what possibly could be of interest there?  Hmmm.   :-X   Oh yeah -  seems I have enabled some more people to see Gypsy this afternoon!  

Not me, though - just meeting them for brunch and then cutting out.  I will quietly and patiently await next week for a return visit.  Well, maybe not so quietly and not so patiently, but await I will.

Another beautiful day here - I will look for some outdoor time.  And now that our esteemed BK has shamed me into thinking about the clutter, maybe toss some of that, too.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2007, 06:32:44 AM »

The Vixter and I went to a Harry Potter party at the local Barnes 7 Noble last night.  Costumes were worn, fortunes were told and we had a fun time.  We were back inthe car by 12:38 AM which was pretty good since I was probably the 300th person on line at midnight  

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2007, 07:21:59 AM »

I mid way through Chapter 3....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: HABOOB!

Make of it what you will.
Spelled backwards, we get BOOBAH!

Boobah was the fifth original Teletubby.  He was sand colored, and something of a blowhard.  The other Teletubbies rebelled, and all his sequences were left on the cutting room floor.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2007, 07:42:19 AM »

HABOOB spelled backwards is BOOBAH!
Well, yeah, but you didn't say anything about Boobah.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »

Good morning!

We had cool temperatures this morning, so open came the doors and windows and on went the attic fan! How lovely. I even did some shrub trimming this morning before my workout, and tomorrow morning is supposed to be even cooler which means I'll use the cool temperatures to do another despised job: cleaning the gutters of the front of the house.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2007, 07:49:21 AM »

Having seen the Criterion ACE IN THE HOLE three weeks ago for the first time, I was blown away by it and by Douglas' performance. He's as good in this as he ever was.

CHAMPION is my favorite performance of his, but I also like DETECTIVE STORY and THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

He is at his best when he plays a heel. I would like to have seen him played R.P. McMurphy in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST on Broadway. He might have been a little old for it then, but I'll bet the part suited him well.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2007, 07:50:17 AM »

Congratulations to DR JMK on his new reviewer's job! Tuesday is DVDTalk Day for me in my web surfing lineup, so I'll look for your reviews on my DVD Talk Day!

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2007, 07:51:41 AM »

TOnight is the HBO premiere of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE. I did not see this movie at the theater or previously on DVD, so my viewing of it tonight will be my first time seeing the film. I'll be watching on HBO-HD. Looking forward to it since it got such positive reactions last year.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2007, 07:53:38 AM »

Yes, DR DakotaCelt, the MOONLIGHTING episodes feature wonderful banter between the two stars even when the stories let them down. I've started noticing that during the second season Cybill started having the cameraman use diffusion on her close-ups. So silly to be that beautiful and young and be worried about showing any age.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »

Today I will watch another MOONLIGHTING episode, and I should have time to watch DANGEROUS WHEN WET, too. The other films in the Esther Williams box: BATHING BEAUTY and ON AN ISLAND WITH YOU I have seen very recently so I won't be checking them out until a later date.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »

RE: harry potter (no spoilers).
...I actually haven't read any of the books (have seen the movies). But i have to head out to costco this morning to get my sister a copy (she is out of town). I suppose i could read it if i wanted to. Although since i haven't read the last ones it probably wouldn't make any sense to me....
You're just doing the movies?  There's tons of stuff in the books that haven't been filmed.  The two eldest Weasley brothers have never made it into the movies.  Dobby is much more important in the books, as are house elves in general, and Kreacher, an important character in Order of the Phoenix, was reduced to a walk-on on screen.  And Peeves, the Poltergeist, hasn't been in any of the movies, either!  For me to say any more would probably result in spoilers.

Oh one more thing. For all those people trying to avoid spoilers, is it really that hard? I mean obviously if you read an article about the book there might be spoilers (but it seems obvious not to read reviews). But are there actually places that are showing spoilers without warning?
Yep, there's all sorts of places that give no spoiler warnings.  And not just on the Internet.  They are called newspapers.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »

My connection went down just as I was posting. I'll try again.

TOD:
I concur with DR TOMOVOZ: I'm OK with the father, but don't think much of the son.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2007, 08:18:52 AM »

A clutter story:

The other day I was sorting through some boxes'o'stuff, as DR JOSE so aptly calls them, when I came across a stock certificate for 10 shares of some company I never heard of, purchased by my parents in 1963. I doubt that it's worth anything, but feel compelled to investigate. YOU NEVER KNOW! I did a Google search and found one entry only--a letter on that company's letterhead, signed by the same name that's on the certificate. It's long-winded and rambling and I really can't fathom why it was even written. It's about wild hogs. Beats me!

I spoke to my stock broker yesterday about it. Apparently, this sort of thing comes up from time to time, but is seldom of any value. There is the off chance that that company was bought out, then maybe even bought out again, and is now part of a going concern. We shall see. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up with 3 shares of Exxon/Mobil. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2007, 08:24:26 AM »

Clutter.

Ugh! I live with it, particularly stockpiling things like old copies of Theater Week and IN Theater which I know I'll never read again but just can't force myself to throw away.

And DVDs, of course. They seem to pile up because it takes a week or more to get through a boxed set of discs and others come in while you're trying to do that.

Even being retired, there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything watched, read, listened to, and studied. It's an endless proposition.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up