Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: CLUTTER  (Read 30517 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:CLUTTER
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2007, 08:25:10 AM »

Heading down now to read a bit and then get lunch started.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2007, 08:26:36 AM »

When my father passed away twelve years ago I turned his house upside down, looking for a certificate for some bond shares he held. Never found it. I was also looking for some Hollywood memorabilia of value. We had so much that we just threw out. It took me nine months to get the bonds transferred into my name, largely because I could never find the certificate. And I never did find the memorabilia I was looking for.

But, despite the advice of some friends who say to just toss it all wholesale, I do feel compelled to look at every piece of paper. My new motto: YOU NEVER KNOW. Or, as one friend says, "Sh*t happens. Luck happens."  Well, I certainly agree about the first part!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »

I have been in the process of decluttering myself

A number of things including some clothes I no longer wear are earmarked for several places including Rape and Abuse crisis center, a couple of senior living places who are taking the old issues of National Geographic, Readers Digest, and Smithsonian. They were happy to take them.  I am donating two suits that no longer fit me to a group that collects gently worn professional / quality dress casual clothes for women who need them for interviews, etc. Several winter coats are going to a coat drive that is in two weeks.

However, I really need to get this genealogy research in some order... It seems to grow and reproduce at will.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »

Page Three Ron, Harry, and Draco Dance!!! (my, they look young!)

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2007, 08:28:37 AM »

Now, I'm off for real!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2007, 08:29:04 AM »

I agree Jeanne. I also carefully check things before tossing. Heck I found money in a pair of worn Jeans I am donating to a woman who makes quilts from them.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2007, 08:33:46 AM »

Even being retired, there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything watched, read, listened to, and studied. It's an endless proposition.

Thank you, MATTH, for saying that! I am NOT retired and simply can't keep up with it. I'm forever throwing stuff out, but sooo much comes in! I've stopped several magazines and newsletter subscriptions and am always trying to concoct new ways to keep things organized, but it's a challenge. And I've always been an organized person. I hate to think what's it's like for people who aren't organized.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2007, 08:34:37 AM »

My connection went down just as I was posting. I'll try again.

TOD:
I concur with DR TOMOVOZ: I'm OK with the father, but don't think much of the son.

Jeanne, I agree with both you and Tom. I am not a huge fan of Micheal nor his father Kirk. However, I do think Kirk is the better actor of the two.  I liked Kirk in Spartacus.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »

I am donating two suits that no longer fit me to a group that collects gently worn professional / quality dress casual clothes for women who need them for interviews, etc.

DAKOTA, could you pass on the name and address of that organization either here or in a PM? I have a ton of business clothes that I should reconsider. They're in perfect condition and too nice to just toss. The consignment shops here don't want anything that's more than 3 years old.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »

Clutter is like tribbles they seem to grow and reproduce at will...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2007, 08:41:07 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  A little congested this morning - allergy, probably.  I did clean up two piles of clutter although there is still clutter nearby.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2007, 08:48:19 AM »

DAKOTA, could you pass on the name and address of that organization either here or in a PM? I have a ton of business clothes that I should reconsider. They're in perfect condition and too nice to just toss. The consignment shops here don't want anything that's more than 3 years old.

The one that is in Fargo is called Dressed for Success. It is through the Rape and Abuse Crisis Center and also in part with Job Service ND. It is geared to help women get out of abusive situations and rebuild their lives and help them with interviewing skills and get the appropriate clothes.

I know the Today Show has featured similar organizations also. I would check with the Rape and Abuse or  Domestic Abuse organization.  The one here in Fargo has been here for a number of years.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2007, 08:48:55 AM »

I also donate other clothes to a group that helps refugees relocating to the area.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I have to be at the theatre in a little over two hours, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »

A number of years ago before I moved to Fargo, I donated an old Word Processor  and an old typewriter to the Rape and Abuse center in Grand Forks. They nearly cried for it was tools that allowed these women to write letters to lawyers and stuff in a safe place.  

It made me feel good for I know they were not brand new but they were still serviceable and the last I heard they were heavily used for several years.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »

Good day to all of the HHWers!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2007, 08:54:18 AM »

Jeanne, a refugee relocation group might be another organization to contact for these people will need clothes and stuff to start a new life.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2007, 08:54:55 AM »

DR Jeanne - I believe there is a "Dressed for Success", or at least a very similar organization in DC that's run by one of the women's centers.  I'm sure if you call "7 On Your Side" or WRC's help line, you could find a suitable ( ;) ) place for your gently-used clothes.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 08:55:33 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:33 AM »

Had to do a little bit of tax work this morning, which is a little unusual for a Saturday in July, but it's done.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:47 AM »

As for Mr. Douglas on film... Nothing in particular is coming to mind right now.  Still waking up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2007, 09:00:07 AM »

And I guess I should get ready to head in for my shows today.  This is the final weekend for the "original cast" of this revival, and I suspect the emotional content of the show will be a bit "enhanced" for the next three performances.  So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »

Another organization that I donated money to in the past and  even donated fleece  and some fabric for making blankets is called "Project Linus". The organization makes blankets for babies who are in ICU in in hospitals in the region.

It was featured last spring on the Today Show.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:07:22 AM by DakotaCelt »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »

The one that is in Fargo is called Dressed for Success. It is through the Rape and Abuse Crisis Center and also in part with Job Service ND. It is geared to help women get out of abusive situations and rebuild their lives and help them with interviewing skills and get the appropriate clothes.

I know the Today Show has featured similar organizations also. I would check with the Rape and Abuse or  Domestic Abuse organization.  The one here in Fargo has been here for a number of years.

Thank you, DAKOTA.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2007, 09:14:32 AM »

Hearing that someone else has clutter was reassuring; I feel less guilty, Re. Mr Douglas, my favorite KD performance by far is in THE FURY; It has a great John Williams score, and without giving away any of the plot. early in the film Mr Douglas has one of those "if looks could kill" looks that you would never want to get in the way of.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »

DR Jeanne - I believe there is a "Dressed for Success", or at least a very similar organization in DC that's run by one of the women's centers.  I'm sure if you call "7 On Your Side" or WRC's help line, you could find a suitable ( ;) ) place for your gently-used clothes.

Yes, thank you, Jose, there is one here. I checked with them a while back. They were very particular about what they would accept--only large sizes, for one thing. Mine are all small sizes. But I shall keep looking.

I often have things I'd be quite happy to give to a good home--if I just knew of someone who could use these things. It's an unlikely-sounding problem: many of us have things that are usable, others are in need; it's a matter of matching us up. I'd prefer to give directly to those in need, rather than to have something sit for ages at a thrift shop.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2007, 09:20:34 AM »

TOD:
I concur with DR TOMOVOZ: I'm OK with the father, but don't think much of the son.

Did I miss his post about Bush?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:34:36 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2007, 09:20:42 AM »

Oh, and...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Audition vibes to DR JRAND!
[/move]

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2007, 09:22:28 AM »

Did I miss his post about Bush?

Leave it to Edisaurus to lighten things up! I know quite a number of Republicans who would agree with that!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »

And I, too, hope that both DRs NOEL and FJL will share NYMF stories with us here.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2007, 09:29:21 AM »

Your welcome Jeanne!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up