Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OFF  (Read 32497 times)

singdaw

Re:THE DAY OFF
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 05:44:46 AM »

***FINAL LEASE COMPLETION VIBES***[/size][/color]
for Toyland and DR elmore3003!

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 05:48:21 AM »

DR Ben, glad you got your book!  I was worried about some kid in the store flipping to the back and yelling out a spoiler within my hearing.  But no such incident occurred.  In fact, at the Stop & Shop early on Saturday morning, I was the only one in the store, and there was no line at all!  :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 05:57:15 AM »

TOD:

My favorite outdoor concert was Live Aid, which I attended in Philly at the now long-gone JFK Stadium.  The weather was hot, hot, hot and there were long, long, long delays between acts but the crowd was friendly, cheerful and festive throughout the day and into the night.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 06:00:29 AM »

Well, here I am at my office and no Harry Potter book in sight.  In fact, I haven't received any confirmation from Amazon that it's shipped at all.  

If it's not placed upon my desk by end of day, I will pick up a copy on my way home and whatever Amazon sends will be returned for a refund.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 06:06:17 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today's my day off, too.  DH Richard and I will leave soon to take my car in for some routine service and to see if they can figure out why the slidey shade that's supposed to cover my sunroof won't close all the way.  Then we're going to Staples to get printer ink cartridges for my mother and me.  Then I'm coming home to answer some very important emails that I received this morning.  Then I'm going to have lunch with my retired librarian friend Becky, who I've not seen since before Thanksgiving.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 06:07:13 AM »

Important question for NYC DRs:

Can anyone comment on the neighborhood of West 54th St., near 9th Ave?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 06:11:09 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.

I think I shall rake up some pine needles before heading over to see DR MusicGuy's new place.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 06:15:23 AM »

I have nothing to add about TOD.
Never stop dreaming.

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 06:16:31 AM »

THE DAY OFF:

Ben

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 06:19:38 AM »

54th & 9th is busy and, for midtown, not a bad area. I have a friend who lives at 52nd and 9th and loves the neighborhood. Hell's Kitchen is not the area it used to be. It's still kind of edgy but that's as you go farther west. If you have a potential residence location I think it's fine.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 06:22:14 AM »

Good morning to the most lovely and sultry bunch of vixens on all of the internet!

Good morning dear Ben...... The picture of you getting the new HP book was so cute !!

Good morning dear DR Laura.... I'm having some much needed coffee and getting a little desk work done, before our rendezvous later.

Hi ScrimShaw....I hope you have a great start of a great week!

MusicGuy

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 06:24:29 AM »

and I think I'll make sure to have a "meas" today.....BK's sounded so yummy yesterday, but it's not always easy to find meas when you need it!

MusicGuy

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 06:25:23 AM »

And now, I shall hie myself away to a little work.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 06:26:52 AM »

Sunday I actually went to a movie! I haven't paid money and walked into a movie theatre to watch a movie for a long time. I much prefer watching things at home. A friend wanted to see Hairspray so we went to the Union Square Regal Cinemas. I liked the movie. I was not sure how I would react because I like the stage musical but they won me over. One of the reasons is they treated the movie like an old musical. None of this bull about "you can't have people breaking into song and having people join in. All the musical numbers must take place in a person's head or have a reason for being" The movie opened with Good Morning Baltimore and Tracy started singing and dancing in her bedroom and walked to the bus stop singing and people joined in and it was great. The same with I Can Hear the Bells. The movie was a lot of fun. I do think the Travolta and Christopher Walken were the weakest parts (IMHO). Travolta wasn't bad but he didn't have the spark and I kept seeing JT in a fat suit. Walken, despite his chorus boy background, didn't work for me at all. One of my favorite numbers, You're Timeless to Me was OK but again, the spark of chemistry that lit up the stage with Fierstein and Latessa was sorely missing with Travolta and Walken.

I'm really glad I saw it. I thought it was a good transfer from stage to screen.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 06:28:50 AM »

Important question for NYC DRs:

Can anyone comment on the neighborhood of West 54th St., near 9th Ave?

It's crawling with cops, as there's a precinct on 54th between 8th & 9th.  And one block up is the beautiful spanking new Alvin Ailey School of Dance.  And on that block, you'll find the Julia Miles Theatre, where, from September 28-October 6, you can see this show about the serious business of doing comedy on live TV in the 50's Such Good Friends   ;D
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2007, 06:32:37 AM »

DR EDI - I am not sure about the author of THE CASE OF THE DANCING SANDWICHES, but he may be prominent in some other area because the paperback version of said tome goes for $99.50 on Amazon (almost as much as a share of the Brain).

Surprised Pogue didn't chime in on this, but then Pogue hasn't chimed in on much for quite some time.

Fredric Brown was a fabulous writer of short stories and novels, both mysteries and sci-fi.  Very funny, too.  His first mystery, The Fabulous Clipjoint is a classic and, for B-film fans, his novel Screaming Mimi became a film with Anita Ekberg (and not too good a film - the novel is fun).  At one point, I had a complete collection of first editions, and during the nineties, Dennis McMillan, a private publisher, issued a huge number of limited editions containing the short stories and novellas.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2007, 06:33:05 AM »

The final scene of Such Good Friends underwent a whole heap of changes this weekend.  Before Friday’s auditions, it was necessary for me to commit to removing the two wives and two sons.  The list of parts agents submit their clients for, and actors look in BackStage for, had to match the script as it will be produced.  (As a Next Link selection in NYMF at the Julia Miles Theatre, opening September 28.)  So, I was under pressure from everybody to remove those four characters, leaving us with a cast of ten.

So, I could no longer do the ending stolen from Camelot; there would be no boy(s) to sing to.  That ending’s songs were a jingle (for an electric range), Be Funny, Tell a Danny Story, Things That Danny Did and a finale re-capping history everybody knew.

At the start of the weekend, there was still the ending stolen from Porgy and Bess, with the protagonist doing something admirable and foolish but obviously leading to disaster. That ending’s songs were a jingle (for a toaster: Make the Most of Your Toast), Be Funny, a new song called Too Happy To Be Singing the Blues and a finale consisting of Tell a Danny Story sandwiches between two reprised snippets.  I intended to add a choral number to the sequence, but merely wrote New Song Goes Here.

Saturday, I wrote the new chorale, and built a new ending around it.  I dubbed this version the dumb show..  The songs were Be Funny, the previously-cut Dottie Francis Theme Song, Too Happy To Be Singing the Blues (interrupted, a la Live Laugh Love) and the new chorale, which led into a brief reprise of something from Act One.  Sunday, I woke up very early, unable to sleep, anticipating how this new ending would go over with my director.  To bide the time before the meeting, I rewrote the overture.

On the bus ride to our meeting, I came up with an idea to use the back-to-the-start structure of Mademoiselle Colombe.  So, I had a backup ready if my director didn’t like the dumb show.  I did my best to sing the chorale as if I had eight different voices, and my director was very pleased.  End of story, right?  Well, we still had other ideas to pitch.  I reminded him about Mademoiselle Colombe and he reminded me of something that can only be described as a deus ex machina.  I realized that I had trouble sleeping because this beautiful chorale was too obvious to be good.  It was telling the audience something that had already been demonstrated through action, a cardinal sin too many musicals commit.

I said “The ending must show the protagonist has learned something.  It’s not about telling some message.  The audience can draw conclusions about a message later.  Right now it’s about the character’s redemption.”  In order to make that work, I need to use a little of that deus ex machina, and cut any song that appears to be the story’s moral.  So, Sunday night I wrote the most positive ending yet: Dottie Francis Theme Song, Too Happy To Be Singing the Blues in full 32-bar form (the verse got cut), and a reprise.  The two main characters end the show by walking off the stage together, having developed a new appreciation of each other, a la Gypsy.

I slept well.  Of course, the next time something disturbs my sleep I’ll change it again.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2007, 06:33:06 AM »

I just wrote a long post to JRand and Edi re:  Fredric Brown which got lost in the ethers.

Fred Brown is a well-known and revered writer of mysteries and well-regarded science fiction.  But I prefer his mysteries.  He won a Mystery Writers of America award for best first novel with THE FABULOUS CLIPJOINT.  This started a short but swell series with Ed and Ambrose Hunter (nephew and uncle) as detectives.  He also wrote SCREAMING MIMI, THE FAR CRY, THE LENIENT BEAST, and NIGHT OF THE JABBERWOCK among others.  All great stuff.  His original hardbacks go for upwards of $200 and paperback originals like THE CASE OF THE DANCING SANDWICHES bring a pretty penny.  I bought MADBALL several years ago for fifty and it now brings upwards of ninety in good condition.

Both BK and I are fans of Brown.  I have an extensive collection but not complete.  He's expensive and tough to find, but well worth the read.  A great writer.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 12:04:25 PM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2007, 06:34:15 AM »

So much for sleeping in on my day off.  I woke up at six, ready to vomit on the ground - have no idea why, but it happens occasionally these days - you know - don't mean to be gross, but with that awful taste in your mouth and a throat that feels like it's going to burn away.  It's finally calming down and I, of course, did not vomit on the ground or anywhere else.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2007, 06:37:55 AM »

BK, I've got all the McMillans of Brown's pulp work.  He also put out THE CASE OF THE DANCING SANDWICHES, which is the only copy of the story I have.  All the McMillans have intros by famous writers in the mystery/pulp field and are all signed by these indviduals.  Even these books are getting up there in price.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2007, 06:39:09 AM »

Pogue and I were posting at exactly the same time!  We were a deux et postina.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2007, 06:39:34 AM »

BK, sounds like acid reflux to me.  Probably too much Diet Coke.  I've cut my diet coke consumption down so much these days, that I've just gone back to real coke.  I'd forgotten how good the real thing is.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:47:13 AM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2007, 06:40:10 AM »

My throat is still not quite right and has that yuckier than yucky taste.  Blechhh.

I wonder if when Murder At Hollywood High comes out, we'll all be up at midnight having a partay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2007, 06:40:34 AM »

What, no excellent vibes and xylophones?  No one reads the notes anymore?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2007, 06:41:24 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.  Shares available.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2007, 06:42:39 AM »

Mr. David Wechter managed to do the rewrite on the final two General Mills' scenes, and they're much better now, so I'll just polish it, redo about three more lines, and this slightly new version will be done and off to NY and the casting director.

singdaw

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2007, 06:44:54 AM »

What, no excellent vibes and xylophones?  No one reads the notes anymore?

bk, see post #28 at the bottom of page 1!  :)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2007, 06:46:21 AM »

The Old Globe in San Diego was always good for outdoor plays.  My favourite was probably a version of LONDON ASSURANCE I saw there once.  The Globe in London was a unique experience, especially as I stood as a groundling throughout...but the play was cack-- a version of THE TEMPEST with Vanessa Redgrave playing...wait for it...Prospero.  I've seen Vanessa on stage several times.  She can either be wonderful or just phoning it in.  Here she was god-awful.

There is a little group called The Independent Shakespeare Company that performs up in Barnsdall Park in Hollywood who is quite wonderful and Julieanne and I became real fans before we left.

The theatre group I'm with this summer did outdoor Shakespeare at a vineyard, Equus Run, a short distance from my house.  It was a something of a triumph and we'll be doing it next year, expanding to two plays.  It has a great ambience and vibe.  Shakespeare without body mics, very intimate.  The wine's not bad either.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:48:53 AM by Charles Pogue »

FJL

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:59 AM »

Thanks, singdaw and Dan (the Man)!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2007, 06:57:23 AM »

I hope your tummy feels better, BK. I like Pepcid Complete for tummy upsets.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up