Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FORTY WHIPLASHES  (Read 43579 times)

MBarnum

Re:FORTY WHIPLASHES
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »

TOD:

CD: Best of 70s: 1970 to 1979 (Pakistani pop/disco songs)

DVD: COMMERCIAL/TELEVISION MANIA

DVR: episodes of THE GENE AUTRY SHOW (Sally Fraser sure pops up in this program a lot)

LP (Finally got a turntable) POLKA PARTY

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2007, 09:11:35 AM »

Sorry -- I just find that too hard to believe.  

But....but.....it's TWOO!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Ah... Nothing like a freshly shorn head.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - On the soundtrack for "Hairspray", I'm trying to figure out if they just re-did the vocals for "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now" over the OCR tracks.  But I do like the various "surprises", and trying to figure out who-is-who.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »

CD:  finally got around to the OCR of Curtains this morning.  It's so nice to have a cast album that makes me LOL, repeatedly.  Maybe not prime K&E, but even sub-prime K&E is better than most anything else out there these days.

DVD:  starting my first batch of official reviews, so am making my way through the 4 DVD set of kinescopes of the early Karloff hosted series "Suspense."  Video quality is amazingly good--much better than I thought it would be (but I'm used to kinescopes, so that may have something to do with it).  Audio is less so.

And speaking of audio:  MattH, I didn't get pops/cracks on my Pirate audio, I got what I think you're referring to as "flutter", especially  apparent at the open of the film, but it recurs regularly.  The interesting thing is, when they play the instrumental backings from the soundtrack during the featurette, it's not there.  Really perplexing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:23:50 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2007, 09:25:43 AM »

DR MusicGuy - Well... As I commented earlier, I think Zac Efron looks very plastic in the movie.  The eyebrows are a bit too plucked, and his nose looks funny.  And he's thinner than he was in "High School Musical" - and I didn't think that was possible.  Of course, he doesn't take his shirt off in "Hairspray" like he did in "High School Musical", so...  Could just be the wardrobe.  He's still cute, but he just looks a little weird to me in "Hairspray".

However, it is nice to hear Zac's real voice since most of his vocals for "HSM" were dubbed by Drew Seeley - which is why "HCM - The Concert" sounded so "familiar" (Zac wasn't able to tour due to the filming of "Hairspray").  -And I'm amazed at how Disney and Mr. Efron handled the "scandal".  However, Zac will be doing his own singing in "HSM2".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2007, 09:26:34 AM »

DR elmore - Will you be going to Musicals in Mufti this weekend?  I'm thinking I may surprise Mr. Gandy.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »

The summer after I retired, my central A/C, my refrigerator, and my vacuum cleaner all stopped working within a two month period. And I thought, "I've got to live on a pension with stuff breaking?"

Not the best way to start retirement.

Oh, I DO sympathize! I've had weekends when for everything I fix, something else breaks.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2007, 09:32:23 AM »

My dear DR Matt H...

HOW did you keep up with all your CLEANING?

;)

LOL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2007, 09:36:48 AM »

And if anyone happens to have some free-time today while at work - or home - the Weekend Arts in today's NY Times is chock-full with fun and informative articles.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2007, 09:37:12 AM »

OK - Time to wash some dishes.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2007, 09:40:24 AM »

I, too, am recently shorn.

Funny you mention Ibsen, I encountered an impossibly old Great Man of the Theatre yesterday and, after he left, was asked how old he is.  "I'm not certain, but I have heard him refer to Ibsen as 'that petulant kid'."

I'm printing out the new draft of Such Good Friends, and, as you might have predicted, the final scene doesn't resemble any of the previous final scenes I may have mentioned here at HHW.  I think it evolves so much because my director and I don't want the audience to get ahead of us for a moment.  Like to think every one of the 104 pages contains something the audience didn't see coming.  Song quantity is back down to 28.  Few people believe me when I say that even with 28 songs, this show has an unusually high proportion of dialogue to sung material.  Think Gypsy, not Joseph.

Which reminds me that my musical director is currently doing Joseph at the MUNY and what a stylistic change Such Good Friends is going to be!  One of my young assistants has created a page for the show: http://myspace.com/suchgoodfriendsthemusical so visit that and become a friend if that’s the sort of thing you do.  What amuses me is that the lyric you hear, the first half of Like Love, has been completely rewritten.  The other tracks include a duet between the stars of Our Wedding www.WeddingMusical.com and a trio which includes a young man who just got a rave in yesterday’s Times for his Jojo in  the scaled-down Seussical.  And I know you all know about NYMF’s page for the show, http://www.nymf.org/Show-74.html – it evolves, too.

We had our first production meeting last night and it was a thrill to see the Dream Team assembled at the Polish Tea Room.  Above, I was joking about going from Joseph to Such Good Friends; knowing that one of our designers is going from the Tony-winning Coast of Utopia to Such Good Friends is another thing indeed.  I’m knocked out by this.

And someone who’s recorded some of my favorite Lost In Boston/Lost Musicals tracks for BK has joined our cast.  She’s all grown-up now, but we’ve heard what dress size she wore when she was a little girl…
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2007, 09:40:54 AM »

Stamina and strong back vibes to DR MUSIC GUY!

[/size][/color][/b]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »

Why do I feel like I'm being beaten over the head by the SUCH GOOD FRIENDS PR machine?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2007, 09:44:52 AM »

TOD:

DVD:   FUR
VCR:   WOMAN IN THE WINDOW
CD:     LIZ CALLAWAY: ANYWHERE I WANDER

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2007, 09:54:56 AM »

TOD: I can't watch anything because I can't get the TV on.

I blame the usual suspect: Gris-Gris the cat.

MY DH will return tomorrow and solve the problem, I'm sure.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2007, 10:03:05 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - On the soundtrack for "Hairspray", I'm trying to figure out if they just re-did the vocals for "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now" over the OCR tracks.  But I do like the various "surprises", and trying to figure out who-is-who.

I just did a side-by-side listen to the two (I found a quick download of the OCR) and the tracks are definitely different.  There are differences in the arrangements and separations plus the vocal backups and some instrumental riffing.

Of the three, I guess it's easiest to detect Rikki Lake--she tends to sing in a more natural voice while Nikki and Marissa stay in character.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2007, 10:04:17 AM »

Why do I feel like I'm being beaten over the head by the SUCH GOOD FRIENDS PR machine?

Probably because, throughout my life, people have told me that I've done way too little to put myself out there, to self-promote, to publicize.  I can't tell you how many times I've been told "Your writing's great, but your PR sucks.  And it's those who shamelessly yell 'Look at me!' who get ahead in this world, whether their writing's any good or not."

So, this time, with Such Good Friends, I've promised myself I won't keep my light under a bushel.  (Ooh, sort of a Stephen Schwartz reference!)  Now that we've 3-count 'em-3 shows by folks who post here heading to NYMF, I thought it would be interesting to keep a dialogue open about our progress and process.  Of course, if any DR feels this is too much, I'll respectfully withdraw.  (Ooh, almost sort of a 1776 reference!)   :-\
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

singdaw

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2007, 10:10:19 AM »

LP (Finally got a turntable):  POLKA PARTY

As DR RLP would say...

The mind boggles!

:)

JMK

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »

DR Ron (and everyone else), you can take a break from getting beaten over the head by other PR machines, and get beaten over the head by my DVDTalk PR machine (it's a soft, fuzzy machine with the occasional rotating knife--a Monty Python reference).  In other words, shameless self-promotion alert department:

My Simpsons Movie review has gone live:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?___f=preview&ID=29387&___r=%2Freviews%2Flogin%2Freviews.php%3FrecordState%3DApproved

And my Pirate DVD review should be live momentarily.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2007, 10:13:06 AM »

However, it is nice to hear Zac's real voice since most of his vocals for "HSM" were dubbed by Drew Seeley

This is certainly a day of disillusionment!     :-\

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »

Who did you cast?  Did I work with a kid on LIB and Unsung?  Other than Miss Minoff, and I don't think it would be her.

JMK

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2007, 10:13:25 AM »

Re:  Polka Party.  DS Betsy, who grew up in Wisconsin, has often said she was in her early 20s before she realized that it was not a requirement at weddings to have a polka band.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »

Probably because, throughout my life, people have told me that I've done way too little to put myself out there, to self-promote, to publicize.  I can't tell you how many times I've been told "Your writing's great, but your PR sucks.  And it's those who shamelessly yell 'Look at me!' who get ahead in this world, whether their writing's any good or not."

So, this time, with Such Good Friends, I've promised myself I won't keep my light under a bushel.  (Ooh, sort of a Stephen Schwartz reference!)  Now that we've 3-count 'em-3 shows by folks who post here heading to NYMF, I thought it would be interesting to keep a dialogue open about our progress and process.  Of course, if any DR feels this is too much, I'll respectfully withdraw.  (Ooh, almost sort of a 1776 reference!)   :-\

Keep the updates coming, DR Noel.  HHW is a bushel-free zone.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:25 AM »

DR MusicGuy - Well... As I commented earlier, I think Zac Efron looks very plastic in the movie.  The eyebrows are a bit too plucked, and his nose looks funny.  And he's thinner than he was in "High School Musical" - and I didn't think that was possible.  Of course, he doesn't take his shirt off in "Hairspray" like he did in "High School Musical", so...  Could just be the wardrobe.  He's still cute, but he just looks a little weird to me in "Hairspray".

However, it is nice to hear Zac's real voice since most of his vocals for "HSM" were dubbed by Drew Seeley - which is why "HCM - The Concert" sounded so "familiar" (Zac wasn't able to tour due to the filming of "Hairspray").  -And I'm amazed at how Disney and Mr. Efron handled the "scandal".  However, Zac will be doing his own singing in "HSM2".

Scandal?  What scandal?  Is there a link to the pictures?
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »

HHW is a bushel-free zone.
Nope...no bushels here at all!

singdaw

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »

Oh...

And I went out at lunch and purchased the Hairspray OBC.

So...

GIMMEE MY CARD BACK!

;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:03 AM »

I spent the morning teaching lyric scanning to this fellow who wrote the musical I'm mentoring.  He's never written lyrics, and his son has never written theater music, so it's a battle every step of the way to get them to understand CRAFT.

I tried to explain it to him yesterday, and I thought he understood because I gave him examples in his lyrics that work and why subsequent lyrics in the same song don't.  What he'll frequently do is in stanza one come up with a meter and pattern that's fine.  Then it will be different in each subsequent stanza, because either he just doesn't "get" it, or he's lazy.  I'm being merciless and will not accept sloppy meter or incorrectly emphasized words.  So, he sent me a new pass on the opening number's first go-through.  He's never going to be a great lyricist, but the second and fourth stanzas (the a sections) didn't match the first - occasionally he counted syllables and had the right amount, but it required you to emphasize all the wrong words to make it work.  I rewrote it so he could see proper examples of how it could work, and then I deconstructed each line so he saw technically how I broke it down - what lyrics were on pickup notes, what word fell on the downbeat, etc.  Hopefully that will help him understand.  His son is another story, but I'm still hoping he'll bow out and that I'll just do arrangements of the songs with Boswell, and rewrite notes as necessary.  If new material is needed, the easiest and fastest way is for me to provide it (or someone I know).

singdaw

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »

What scandal?  Is there a link to the pictures?

THFYWC = Too Hot For Your Work Computer

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2007, 10:23:48 AM »

bk, I don't know what this fellow is paying you, but I suspect he's getting an incredible bargain!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up