Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF THE UNSEEMLY TRIVIA CONTEST  (Read 20782 times)

Michael

Re:THE RETURN OF THE UNSEEMLY TRIVIA CONTEST
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2004, 10:24:40 PM »

Anyone here ever see any of the Greenlight films that have been produced the last two years?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2004, 10:26:38 PM »

so what is everyone doing at this moment? The east coasters should be in bed. I can;t sleep so this is why I am posting
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2004, 10:27:51 PM »

TD are you reading the play in your bed?
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2004, 10:34:20 PM »

TD are you reading the play in your bed?

After going through Lanford Wilson, I shall be finishing THE MOONSTONE. . .and then. . .i'll be snoring. . .(in unison with the dog, of course) and. . .g'night everyone. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2004, 10:54:13 PM »

Totally off topic: I have just an ex-student install XP on this computer (to replace Millenium). Should I be excited. At least the computer will now actually shut down properly and "boot" properly. The cost was significant - a barbeque lunch.
I was about to post that I didn't think TCB would be to comment on td's love of horses. I am so wrong. He is back. Welcome back TCB. Hope your Saturday excursion was a success.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2004, 11:00:01 PM »

I hope it doesn't offend anyone to point out that childbirth is not something many homosexuals have personal first-hand experience with.  Sure, there are many execeptions, but Baby depicted an (blessed) event or three that wasn't easily related to by a segment of the musical-going population.
DR Noel, I think you need to pay a bit more attention to what's going on around you.  Der Brucer and I have just moved all the way across the continent to be closer to his grandchildren, which certainly means that at some point he copulated heterosexually.  Conservative estimates put the number of gay men who are fathers at about ten percent, and the number of lesbians who are mothers is much much higher.  In fact, there are organizations for gay fathers with chapters nationwide, and when they march in the gay pride parades these groups are regularly among the most loudly cheered.

For that matter, again if you had been paying attention, you would find that a large percentage of the gay membership here at HHW is deeply committed to their families, as loving uncles.  In my experience, the gay community as a whole is just as committed to their families as the sampling we have here, making total nonsense of the entire "family values" rhetoric.

I hope I'm getting across to you that I found your post deeply offensive and ill-informed.  You owe many of us here an apology.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2004, 11:06:51 PM »

Fourth off...what the hell is up with Lyle Waggoner?  I've been catching repeats of The Carol Burnett Show of late, and he's never on it.
Waggoner left the show after something like the seventh season.  Also, a lot of times he was working off-screen as the show's announcer.  You might not be seeing him, but you're hearing that voice.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2004, 11:19:30 PM »

If I were to pick a musical that deserves more recognition that it's received, I'd go for Kat and the Kings.  It was the first show I ever saw in NYC, one that der Brucer and I had heard little about, and we got to see it because the tix were on sale at TKTS, at the very last minute because we'd gotten into town so late.

What we found was an interesting take on South Africa and apartheid.  It was consistently entertaining, tuneful, and funny while handling sobering material.  The show itself had been a hit in South Africa and London, but for some reason the New York critics weren't impressed.  What audience it found loved the show, cheering and swaying with the music, having a wonderful time, but it never found enough of an audience to make it work in NYC.

Which is really a shame, because it's story deserves to be seen and heard across the nation, and indeed worldwide.  Apartheid was the most egregious example of bigotry I can think of, and people really do need to be confronted with it's destructive power.  Unfortunately, because the show was not a hit on Broadway, it hasn't received much of an audience elsewhere.

I understand it's being remounted in London.  I wish der Brucer and I could get there to see it again.  I'd dance in the aisles this time!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2004, 11:26:52 PM »

The puppies are going to have fun tomorrow!  There's lots of white stuff on the ground!  Yeah, it was technically sleet, but it's white and frosty and fun to play in!

Happy dogs!   ;D :D ;D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2004, 11:28:54 PM »

It was a mighty long day for me today.  L.A. Phil was superb.  Will report on Like Jazz tomorrow, after I've had a good night's sleep.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2004, 11:33:01 PM »

Well, given our past days, pretty slow day today.  But who cares - what was here was cherce and that's all that matters.  You've spoiled me, that's all.  New notes up in half-hour, so if you want to have a mini-frenzy prior to that then do so.  I'm not holding my breath.  Why should I?  When was the last time my breath held me?  My breath is very aloof.  Oooh, a Jerry Lewis word.  Okay, on the count of three everybody say "aloof" in their best Jerry voice: One, two, three - ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFLADYYYYYYY.

Jay

« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2004, 11:33:16 PM »

But before I go, for those Dear Readers who savor such matters, here's a bissel yiddishkeit, but with a twist:

New Entries In the Yinglish Glossary

JEWBILATION n. Pride in finding out that one's favorite celebrity is Jewish.

TORAHFIED n. Inability to remember one's lines when called to read from the Torah at one's Bar or Bat mitzvah.

SANTASHMANTA n. The explanation Jewish children get for why they celebrate Hannukah while the rest of humanity celebrates Christmas.

MATZILATION v. Smashing a piece of matzo to bits while trying to butter it.

BUBBEGUM n. Candy one's mother gives to her grandchildren that she never gave to her own children.

CHUTZPAPA n. A father who wakes his wife at 4:00 a.m. so she can change the baby's diaper.

DEJA NU n. Having the feeling you've seen the same exasperated look on your mother's face but not knowing exactly when.

DISORIYENTA n. When Aunt Sadie gets lost in a department store and strikes up a conversation with everyone she passes.

GOYFER n. A Gentile messenger.

HEBORT vb. To forget all the Hebrew one ever learned immediately after one's Bar Mitzvah.

JEWDO n. A traditional form of self defense based on talking one's way out of a tight spot.

MAMATZAH BALLS n. Matzo balls that are as good as mother used to make.

MEINSTEIN slang. "My son, the genius."

MISHPOCHAMARKS n. The assorted lipstick and make-up stains found on one's face and collar after kissing all one's aunts and cousins at a reception.

RE-SHTETLEMENT n. Moving from Brooklyn to Miami and finding all your old neighbors live in the same condo as you.

ROSH HASHANANA n. A rock 'n roll band from Brooklyn.

YIDENTIFY vb. To be able to determine ethnic origins of celebrities even though their names might be St. John, Curtis, Davis, or Taylor.

MINYASTICS n. Going to incredible lengths and troubles to find a tenth person to complete a minyan.

FEELAWFUL n. Indigestion from eating Israeli street food.

DISKVELLIFIED vb. To drop out of law school, med school or business school as seen through the eyes of parents, grandparents, and Uncle Sid. In extreme cases, simply choosing to major in art history when Irv's son, David, is majoring in biology, is sufficient grounds for diskvellification.)

Jay

« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2004, 11:36:09 PM »

Of course, being so close to Goddom (and Somorrah) and all, the temptation is pretty strong to create posts of no substance simply to cross the threshold into HHW deism.

Can I resist?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2004, 11:37:11 PM »

LOL, Jay!  I'm looking forward to your immenent diefication!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2004, 11:55:52 PM »

Can I ask a really simple question?  S. Woody's post of twenty minutes ago - I see a nice group of people, why has no one posted since?  Really honest question.  Are you all just sitting there looking at your screens and drooling.  Or what?  Curious in the City of Studio.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2004, 12:00:25 AM »

Guess I don't get an answer to my question from all those reading these here posts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2004, 12:03:34 AM »

I find it decidedly odd, yes I do.  There are four people who are not responding to my post.  I don't know, if someone asks a question I always try to respond.  Oh, well.  Wilfullness is not attractive, in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo).  But it is part of human behavior, like it or not.  It's just funny, that's all.  Funny is what it is which is why I shall laugh and laugh.  I wouldn't try posting now if I were you, since I'm changing the notes and the topic right now.  And then, I wouldn't respond to the new topic tonight.

Laura II

« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2004, 12:04:27 AM »

I am here! I've been distracted! I'm sorry, BK! I really am.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up