Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF THE UNSEEMLY TRIVIA CONTEST  (Read 20821 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE RETURN OF THE UNSEEMLY TRIVIA CONTEST
« on: January 17, 2004, 12:02:46 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know everything there is to know and then some, you know what was dangling, you know, you know, you know (that is three you knows or one U-No Bar).  So, let's have loads of lovely posts, shall we? 8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 12:05:21 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE RETURN OF THE UNSEEMLY TRIVIA CONTEST
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 12:05:57 AM »

I actually haven't read the notes, but will do so in a moment. Thank you for your good wishes, Jay.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 12:06:35 AM »

These trivia contests are sooooo daunting.  Can't I just accept the booby prize now?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 12:07:44 AM »

I actually haven't read the notes, but will do so in a moment. Thank you for your good wishes, Jay.

Just between you and me, Dear Panni:  Never, ever, EVER let on to BK that you have not read his notes.

And you are more than welcome!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 12:08:45 AM »

This contest would even stump me if I didn't know the answers.  But, everyone likes a challenge, and this one's a doozy.  I've said that before, however, and ended up getting lots of correct guesses.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 12:14:24 AM »

Now I've read the notes and I'm going to bed. 'Night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 12:41:43 AM »

I guess I'll go to bed, too.  Although Star! is on at one.  Don't want to Tivo it, but I AM going to Tivo The Caretakers and Carnival in Costa Rica for sure.

Jay

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 12:49:03 AM »

I was present this evening, Dear Readers, at the Los Angeles premiere of a new documentary called My Architect.  This film was created by Nathaniel Kahn, son of famous architect Louis Kahn.

There are three core elements to this film.  It is subtitled "A Son's Journey," and the film documents Nathaniel's search to discover the father he really did not know by exploring his architecture and talking to the people who knew him.  

In that process, the second core element, a survey of the elder Mr. Kahn's buildings, and a critical assessment of his work by his peers, is created.  The younger Mr. Kahn was successful in filming interviews with the creme de la creme of the world of architecture from the latter half of the 20th century.  We see and hear Mr. Philip Johnson, Mr. I. M. Pei, Mr. Robert A.M. Stern, Mr. Vin Scully, Mr. Moshe Kafdie and others share very frank (and sometimes hilarious) comments about Kahn's works and Kahn the man.  We also gain insight from individuals who worked closely with Kahn in the creation of several of his masterpieces, and others intimately familiar with those buildings, all of whom speak eloquently about their soul.  The buildings are beautifully photographed in this film.

The third element of the film focuses on the mystery of the man, Louis Kahn.  He died of a heart attack in the men's room at Penn Station in New York in 1973.  Because he had altered the passport he had with him, he lay unclaimed in the morgue for three days.  His eerie demise serves as the catalyst of the real mystery that is explored in this film, as the elder Mr. Kahn had three separate families.  He was married, and had a daughter with his wife.  While married, he became involved with two other women, one by whom he had another daughter, and one by whom he had a son, Nathaniel, the maker of this film.  The three families did not physically cross paths until Mr. Kahn's funeral.  There is an almost surreal scene in the film of the three half siblings meeting to discuss their common father.

Mr. Kahn did not have the success that many of his peers enjoyed.  His architecture was not universally accepted when it was created, and only as time passed has its importance become better recognized.  Some of his greatest works include the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, Texas, and the capital complex in Bangladesh.  One Kahn building with which I was unfamiliar until this evening is the library at Exeter College in Exeter, New Hampshire.  From the outside, the building could be mistaken for one of the many industrial mill buildings that used to dot the New England landscape.  The exterior does little to prepare one for the interior, the centerpiece of which is a huge atrium, with enormous circular cutouts that fill each of the atrium's four sides, exposing the several levels of the library.  The effect is nothing short of stunning.

The film flows nicely and tells its three stories very well.  It's a bit self-indulgent at times; I could have done with fewer reaction shots of the younger Mr. Kahn as he listens to his interviewees' comments.  At times, I thought this story might have been better served in subjective written form, and adapted to the screen by an objective third party filmmaker.  But in a sense, the younger Mr. Kahn was working against the clock.  Many of the elder Mr. Kahn's peers are quite advanced in age, and any delay in getting a film made might have meant losing key commentators.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 12:53:28 AM by Jay »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 12:51:43 AM »

LauraII, say something for heaven's sake.

Laura II

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 01:04:34 AM »

I finally finished Thursday's posts! About to go to bed...

Jane, I know how to do laundry, but my mom chooses to do it, so I let her. :) (She's a cleaning nut. Seriously. She actually got her toes stuck in the vacuum about two weeks ago. She didn't stop running it, so my bro and I didn't hear her shriek). About next year--my great-aunt in Philly, who LOVES to wash, dry, and iron clothes, has told me that she will do all my laundry when I go to school there (about half an hour from where she lives). I just don't think I could do that to her!

"The reason I don't do chores," by Laura (in a 7 year old child's voice)

Yesterday my mommy asked me to make my bed. I went upstairs, pulled all of the covers down, pulled them back up, straightened them, and folded them the way Mommy does. Then, I put my comforter on the bed. I was done! I called my mommy: "Mommy, I'm done! Come see!" Mommy came upstairs and scrunched up her nose. She said it looked sloppy and "not up to her standards," so she was going to redo it. I said, "Fine, if you don't like it, then do it yourself" and turned up my nose the way Auntie M says I do.  

Ok, so that's not the exact sequence, but yes, that incident occurred when I was young. I figured if I didn't do things Mommy's way, then Moo (what I call my mom) could and should do them herself (if she didn't appreciate the oh-so-hard work I did). It's become a bad habit now, but occasionally (like when my Auntie M comes) I make it myself. I make it darn well, too! :)

BK, I performed "Born to Entertain" multiple times in 8th grade. Love it, love it, love it. I wish I had been a child star. ::sulking, but not really!::
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Laura II

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2004, 01:09:51 AM »

BK, since you'd like me to speak, I'll say this: my friend is keeping me up with stories about video games. (Final Fantasy X and X-2, in case you wanted to know.) I never played video games as a kid, was never compelled to do so, don't play them now. Still, she insists on giving me every detail and every plot point. It's all right, though. I now know to bring this scenario up next time I talk to her about a musical! I've been sitting through this for about four hours. I love Tiff, though! :) Still, she owes me! "Bwahaha"--stolen from Tiff

Laura II

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 01:11:07 AM »

I am surprised we haven't seen Jed in the last few hours (if I recall correctly). Hmm unless I missed his plans...maybe he has a hot date!

Laura II

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 01:15:23 AM »

With this post, I become a senior member!

(Sadly, as I wrote that, I thought, "With this ring, I thee wed." Who has romance on her mind? Hmm? Oh, speaking of weddings, I realized I am probably the brunette equivalent of Trista of Bachelorette "fame," except I don't speak with an annoying baby-talk voice, and I don't plan to have an outdoor wedding complete with helicopters. There will probably be some *pink* in it, though!)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 01:18:07 AM »

DR Jay -- My Architect sounds like a very interesting documentary, but frankly, you have me puzzled.  When did Vin Scully become part of the creme de la creme of the world of architecture from the latter half of the 20th century?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2004, 03:55:41 AM »

I took a shot at the trivia question!  :D

DR PANNI I have been thinking (dangerous, I know) and I think the incorrect spelling of your name may be the key.  I know when I work with government databases, an extra space, an "ave" instead of "av" will result in duplicates.  Sending the copies you did should help someone take the "new" Panni out of the system.  Data entry....computers and humans.

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."  "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 05:24:06 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2004, 04:00:17 AM »

"The Caretakers" - whew!

Read my review here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_64082185860

Michael

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2004, 05:39:12 AM »

I also took a shot at it as well. I hope I got it.

God, I hope I get it.
I hope I get it.
How many answers does he need?

Look at all the answers!!
At all the answers.
How many stars does he need?
How many men, how many gals?
How many legandaries does he...?

I really need this prize
Please God, I need this prize
I've got to get this prize!

God, I really blew it!
I really blew it!
How could I make a joke like that?

Now I'll never make it!
I'll never make it!
He doesn't like the way I write.
He doesn't like the way I post
He doesn't like the way I...

God, I hope I got it
I hope I got it.
I've come this far, but even so
It could be yes, it could be no,
How many names does he...?

Who am I anyway?
He calls me Shayne not Mike
My ID Is a  picture of a person I don't know.

What does he want from me?
What should the answers be?
So many answers all around, and here we go.
I need this prize, oh God, I need this prize

« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 05:59:42 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2004, 05:49:58 AM »

Hi all. Good morning.  So when you say the pj party is at 10pm (on Sunday), would that be pacific or eastern?  It sounds awfully late for eastern, but you ALWAYS quote the west coast time.

Be back later.

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2004, 05:50:50 AM »

WOW, you miss a few days, and there is so much to catch up on!!   432 posts in one day?!?!?!?!!!?!   I may have to skip that one so I can get to work on time.
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2004, 06:06:43 AM »

Oh I like this topic for today.

The flop that should have been a hit. I would say Merrily We Roll Along. Even though I saw it early in previews (I didn't understand what the preview process was back then) I loved the score and I never had a problem with the story going backwards. It was just the physical production that was so awful and maybe the actors were too young, but I will always have fond memories of it and would love to see it back on Broadway and as much of the original cast that are still acting doing the show before they get too old!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2004, 06:15:52 AM »

I will also tell you that I never understood how CATS was such a big hit. Never understood how TS Eliot won Tony awards for Best Book (There was none) and lyrics (they were for the most part taken from his poems and not directly written for the theater. With the major exception of Memories which was written for the show and the most annoying theater song ever) The plot if there was one dealt with people auditioning for a place in heaven. Unlike  A Chorus Line where we had a vested interest on who would be chosen; in CATS I did care and for the most part they all looked a like. I listen to score several time and it never grabbed me. I saw the show once (I had to review it for the radio show I was producing at the time) and that was enough. But to run all those years on Broadway..........
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2004, 06:29:14 AM »

Flops?  Only one that I really saw and cared about...."Miss Moffat."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2004, 06:34:32 AM »

I can't account for those ridiculous Tony Awards, but when it first arrived, CATS was unlike anything ever seen on stage before, so its success was not a surprise to me. The length of its run was, however. I would have thought maybe three years for a gimmicky show like this, but there was obviously something there that appealed to a great many people. I enjoyed the first hour and then the whole concept got tedious and wore out its welcome fast. STARLIGHT EXPRESS, another of Lloyd Webber's never-seen-this-on-a-stage-before shows, had the unprofitable two year run that I expected CATS to have.

The show I thought should have been a monster hit was that revival of THE WOMEN that we've talked about before. It had more stars than there are in the heavens, a beautiful and expensive production, a bitchy, catty and hilarious script, and superb performances. I couldn't believe that it closed shortly after I saw it. The Saturday matinee I attended was packed.

Later, on a talk show, Dorothy Loudon said she thought it failed because people came to it expecting it to be a musical, and were disappointed when it wasn't. With all the laughter present, though, I don't know how one could have STAYED disappointed, even if you DID think it was a musical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2004, 06:37:37 AM »

Oh but DRMICHAELSHAYNE now the nightmare begins.  "Cats" is crawling its way across the country.  The local professional dinner theatre in Indy is presenting it!  :P

I will not say it will be bad - in fact my friend the lovely Karen is down front center - but my favorite part of the show was the music - with a synth and a set of trap drums - oh my!  ::)

And after this.....Aunt Linda will play Grizzabella and fat cousin Josh will do Rum Tum Tugger....I am afraid....I am VERY afraid.  :o
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 06:37:57 AM by JRand53 »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2004, 06:45:24 AM »

Two out-of-town tryouts that I saw in Toronto were going to be huge in NYC, or so I thought. These were Illya Darling, and Sugar. Neither was perfect, but each one seemed awfully close to getting it right. Maybe the changes were in the wrong direction, or maybe I was just a poor judge. But I surely was proved wrong. On the other hand, when I saw Mama Mia in Toronto, I said to everyone, "This will never fly in New York." (That's why I didn't follow up on the Fiddler bet, DHMattH.)

Have a good weekend, everyone. I'll be away from the computer for most it. And Archie, who continues to perk up, sends his greetings and thanks.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2004, 07:13:54 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....wonder if anyone is going to the Courts show this weekend to ask Director Walter Graumann about Allison?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2004, 08:21:34 AM »

Ladies & Gentlemen:  Jeepers Creepers has been nominated for a Rondo Award (named after Rondo Hatton) over at the Classic Horror Film Board.  Here is a list of the nominees and a link where you can cast a vote!

http://rondoaward.com/

Congratulations to MR BK, Richard & Tom at Scarlet Street, and all the other great artists and technicians who worked on the CD!  Good vibes!

Danise

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2004, 08:36:25 AM »

Good morning all!

I'm sorry BK, I thought Cowboy U started at ten.  I didn't realize I missed the first hour because I was doing something on the net (bet ya can't guess what) and I changed the channel a few minutes late.  

I have to ask as well PJ party at 10 Eastern?  I hope so.

Glad to hear Archie is still doing well.  :)

Congrats on being nominated for the Rondo Award!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2004, 08:40:48 AM »

DR Jay -- My Architect sounds like a very interesting documentary, but frankly, you have me puzzled.  When did Vin Scully become part of the creme de la creme of the world of architecture from the latter half of the 20th century?

Aarggh.  Vincent Scully.

A brief bio:  

Scully ranks among the most influential architectural historians of the 20th century.  He has shaped not only how we view the evolution of architecture in the twentieth century but also the course of that evolution itself. Combining the modes of historian and critic in unique and compelling ways--with an audience that reaches from students and scholars to professional architects and ardent amateurs--Scully has profoundly influenced the way architecture is thought about and made.

Vin Scully is a sportscaster.  My bad.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2004, 08:43:19 AM »

The play that I think should have been a hit that, as far as I know, has only had one production in a major venue is Peter Shaffer's GIFT OF THE GORGON.  It starred Michael Pennington and Judi Dench, was directed by Sir Peter Hall, premiered at Royal Shakespeare Company at the Barbican in London, had a West End transfer and has never really been heard from again.  I've never seen the play, merely read it.  It took Sam French forever to come out with an acting edition of it.  It is quite simply the BEST play I have read in the last ten years and it is a GREAT play.  I would kill to do the lead.  Why it has had no life beyond its initial production is quite beyond me.

Gee, Bruce, you won't even give us a time frame on the trivia question? Like the decade it was produced in?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 08:44:52 AM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up