Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOT NUTS  (Read 31182 times)

FJL

Re:HOT NUTS
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »

And one for Marlon (and the waterfront)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2007, 08:14:48 PM »

Jose - Maybe it's smee, but I find most of the numbered blocks in the 40's West of 9th pretty scary and deserted very late at night, and also Tenth in the upper 40's, especially the area around the playground (I forget the exact street).  They seem to know I'm coming, because menacing people always seem to be hanging out on a stoop or two or selling a drug or two at those hours.  Obviously, they've been harmless, because I'm telling the tale, but I've been scared nonetheless.  :(

So I cab even for very short distances at that hour.

Gotcha.

I've never been mugged in New York City, or ever felt that I was truly in danger.  <knock wood>  -However, down in D.C., well... :-\

I just remember when I came to NYC when I was in grade school with my cousin, and his aunt, who lived in Queens for years, gave us some advice which I still keep in my head: If you go out expecting trouble, you will more than likely attract it.  Those "people in the shadows" will only react if they sense that you "want" some trouble.  I'm not saying that I'm naive, and that I walk through the City with an open wallet in my hand, and a "Please Mug Me" sign on my back.  I am careful, and I always with purpose.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2007, 08:17:46 PM »

OK... Time to soak in the tub for a bit - just because I can :)  - and then to bed.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »

Ran into DR Jose in Charlotte today... looks like I'll be getting my turn tomorrow to watch hundreds of auditions!  I hope they're better than today's grad school auditions that Jose had to endure.  

Just managed to catch up, and now I must go to bed!  Gotta be there early tomorrow!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »

I had an interesting evening of viewing with my friends tonight. Wile they got the kids in bed and settled, I watched some of SUPERMAN RETURNS on HBO-HD.

I wasn't a big fan of the film, and I thought the regular DVD version was really awful - soft, smeared color. So I was eager to see what the HD version looked like since I didn't want to spring for the Blu-ray version since I didn't care for the movie that much to start with.

The HD version IS sharper; it would have to be. But it's still too dark, lacks adequate contrast, and just doesn't pop at all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »

Gee, I hope this throat thing gets better quickly, as it's most annoying.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »

I'll have to get some emergenC tomorrow - I looked for some at Duane Reade but didn't see it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #307 on: September 08, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »

And I must apologize for not mentioning Shayne's accident, which I knew about yesterday, as he e-mailed me to say because of having to deal with financial car issues, he wouldn't be able to come to NY.  The important thing is he came out of it fine.

Matt H.

« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »

At 8, WORLD TRADE CENTER came on Showtime-HD, and we watched that. It was an involving movie, but I didn't find it nearly as harrowing or as moving as UNITED 93.

It basically focuses one two Port Authority policemen who were trapped when the towers came down. Then there are lots of flashbacks to show us each man's family life. Was surprised to see Donna Murphy in a small part.

The HD version was beautiful. Of course, in the "present" scenes trapped under the rubble, all the dark and gloom isn't made any sharper in HD, but all the flashback stuff and the early morning scenes ebfore the planes hit were just stunning.

Matt H.

« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2007, 08:39:53 PM »

When it went off, we watched TORCHWOOD which was recorded while WTC was on. It was an entertaining beginning episode with some good actors in the regular roles. I don't know how many episodes of this have been filmed, but I'm going to continue watching.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2007, 08:47:34 PM »

TCB, I don't know if I'll remember them all, but we've got Alice Ripley, Ken Page, Kevin Spirtas, Linda Hart (looks like it will work out), Bruce Vilanch, Misty Cotton, Alet and Andy Taylor, Michelle Nicastro, members of the LA company of Wicked, Linda Purl, and a few others.  More to come this week.

No Jason Graae? No Brent Barrett? No Donny Osmond?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »

Off to bed now. Have a full day tomorrow.

Good night!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2007, 08:54:52 PM »

Have fun, DRs (and apologies if someone already posted this link):

www.morphthing.com

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »

MattH, I am curious to see what you think of Torchwood.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2007, 09:05:45 PM »

Thanks for posting JMK, it is a fun site. I have not seen it before and it is possible that I may have overlooked it if it was posted earlier.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up