Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS DEEP DAY  (Read 23654 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THIS DEEP DAY
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2004, 10:42:19 AM »

I'm with you, Dear Reader JRand53, on Eleanor Powell.  Although Broadway Melody of 1940 would never make its way onto a top 5 MGM musicals list when there so many other riches from which to select, it does contain one of the best, if not THE best dance scene in all of cinema.  Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell on that polished black dance floor creating terpsichorean magic to Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine."  Ahhhhhh.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2004, 10:43:29 AM »

So many musicals listed - I want to watch them again!  ;D

I will second "Give a Girl a Break" and will also add "Ziegfeld Girl" and for Jeannette McDonald - "Smilin' Through."  :'(

Don't worry, Jose - the Museum will be there when you get back.  Glad you liked all the shows you saw!

Very cold today....and we are not on page two yet and it is the beginning of the afternoon!  Everyone must be BUSY!  :o

We did make it to page TWO!

DR JAY - I love a number Powell did in a movie called HONOLULU - a tap dance in a grass skirt that is very difficult to figure out.  There are a couple of steps in there that I still don't know how she did them!  Of course the taps were pre-recorded....but she seems to hit them all and there is one in there that I can't tell what foot does it!  LOL.   8)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 10:45:32 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2004, 11:07:05 AM »

Actually, SUMMER STOCK would make my top ten,, if for nothing else than Gene Kelly, the newspaper, and the creaky board.  I've always loved BRIGADOON specifically for its fake sets.  I know Kelly wanted to film this on actual Scottish locations, but I think the reality would have ruined the fantasy element.  Mythical Brigadoon should look like a movie set...not any real place.  In fact, somewhere in the sixties, they actually did a production of BRIGADOON for TV with Bob Goulet and Peter Falk (in the best friend role) on real locations (I don't remember if they were Scottish locations or not), but it looked all washed out and flat and did not have the ethereal, otherwordly aura of Kelly's Brigadoon.  After all, is there anything more fantastical than "better than real life" M-G-M colour?  

I'm a big proponent of soundstages myself.  I like the way film-makers with imagination can control the look of the film with just sets and good art direction.  John Ford's moody IRA thriller, THE INFORMER, was all shot on discard sets.  You can also control the budget and the vicissitudes of nature on a soundstage.

WORDS & MUSIC is a good bad musical choice, MattH.   Mickey Rooney trying too hard, the bland Tom Drake, and a soppy, messy, tedious story.  Without the songs (and I'm not sure they're given the best forum), this is a dreary mess.  TILL CLOUDS ROLL BY, the Jerome Kern bio-pic taverses similar terrain.  Of course, the nice thing about musicals like these is you can read a book or go out of the room until a musical number comes on.

Michael

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2004, 11:36:30 AM »

Fresh song for 'Fiddler'

Composer, lyricist reunite after 34 years for new revival:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/theater/story/155363p-136562c.html

I'm curious, which other revivals have new songs written for them?

My books are packed away so I don't have access to all the info. So there are off the top of my head.

Annie has had two songs written for various revivals. One for Miss Hannigan when Nell Carter did it, It was used only for her and not since. They just wrote another song for the current mini tour. Don't know either song title.

Little Me's first revival (Victor Garber and James Coco  ) There were two new songs written.

The recent Kiss Me Kate, added from This Moment On. (Different from the use in the film version.)

The recently closed revival of Cabaret added I Don't Care Much (written for and dropped from the original production) Maybe This Time (An independant song used for the film) The Money Song (The film version)   The first revival with Joel Grey, Virginia Resnick et al The song Please Stay was written (but not retained for the other revival)  They also combined the Sitting Pretty (The Money Song) and The Money Song (Film version) into one song and this was not reused in the most recent revival.

Company added the deleted song Marry Me a Little to the Roundabout revival.

A Little Night Music (London Judi Dench Revival)  combined the stage and film versions of The Glamorous Life into one song. Also a new number called Table Conversations (or something like that)

Into the Woods (London) added Our Little World

In the revivasel of How to Succeed a song was rewritten to replace an  "outdated" song.

After shows closed on Broadway songs were added for the tour versions. This happened for Woman of the Year and The Tap Dance Kid.

During the run of Victor/Victoria when Liza Minnelli was doing it. The dropped I believe the Act One finale and put in a song written for her.

Other shows that added songs during their runs were Li'l Abner, Bells Are Ringing, Wish You Were Here, and the Scarlet Pimpernell
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:37:04 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2004, 11:42:29 AM »

Sound of Music added Something Good and I have Confidence.

The California Revival of Do I Hear a Waltz? (BK recorded the show) added Everyone Loves Leona and used Sondheim's original version We're Going To Be Alright.

The Broadway Revival of Putting It Together  added Do I Hear a Waltz (different version music and lyrics by Sondheim

Rodgers and Hart wrote new songs for their Revival of A Connecticut Yankee
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 11:44:45 AM »

Add another one:

Starlight Exprress changed during its London run. Many new songs were added.

Chess had many changes over the years. You need a book to list them.

Rags added Till We Meet Again (Bk recorded this song on Duets Ripley and Skinner)
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 11:47:50 AM »

7 Brides For 7 Brotherrs
Singing In The Rain
Gigi
Easter Parade
Wizard Of OZ
I am very fond of "Lili" too.
(I am very fond of "Lili" too)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2004, 11:52:39 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME TIFF![/move]

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Meet Me in St. Louis
The Easter Parade
Singing in the Rain
In the Good Old Summertime (I like Van Johnson)

Runner's up
Victor/Victoria
The Boyfriend
Gigi
Till the Clouds Roll By

Panni though I wouldn’t put it in my top five I did enjoy The Dolly Sisters.  I also had a crush on John Payne.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:58:17 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 11:57:08 AM »

Jay you said  “I think that you and DH Keith were Mr. and Miss Popularity in high school.  Ya know, he the QB on the football team, you the head of the cheerleading squad, that sort of thing”

I am having a good laugh at that.  We were far from it!  We did meet in the drama class.

Jane

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

MBarnum I just received a FedEx, hand delivered by Alan.  He was totally surprised when I mentioned you.

td

• td
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2004, 12:12:59 PM »

Add another one:

Starlight Exprress changed during its London run. Many new songs were added.

Chess had many changes over the years. You need a book to list them.

Rags added Till We Meet Again (Bk recorded this song on Duets Ripley and Skinner)

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST added "A Change in Me" when Toni Braxton joined the cast; subsequently, Susan Egan recorded this new song.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »

Welcome, Tiff!  ;D ;D

I'm so sorry to have missed last night's PJ party...my sister and I have been getting into screaming matches over whose turn it is on the PC, and my mom cut off my computer access for most of last evening and night to get us to shut up.  Can't say I blame her....oh well...I'm getting my own PC next month!

My all-time favorite MGM musicals are Singin' in the Rain, The Bandwagon, An American In Paris and On The Town.  Funny how most of them have Comden and Green involvement!  I also love Kiss Me Kate, Gigi, and a Star is Born!

Re: Composer biopics.  Some of them are really far-fetched and bogus (Words and Music), but I do enjoy the musical numbers...especially in Til the Clouds Roll By and Deep In My Heart (the Romberg biopic).  

Anyone looking forward to the new Porter biopic???

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2004, 12:47:26 PM »

Speaking of "DEEP"

How deep is the water in which BK's galley sails?

I assume it is an Italian Galley with lots of hunky oarsmen in leather. But I could be wrong. It might be a French Galley with lots of up-tight Frenchies in toques.\

der Brucer (showing off his new avatar that Woody shot while we were at the Grand Canyon).
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2004, 12:53:30 PM »

MBarnum I just received a FedEx, hand delivered by Alan.  He was totally surprised when I mentioned you.

LOL DR Jane!
And you and Keith were in Drama? Why did the two of you not get into show business...after all you were in the midst of Hollywood growing up! You both would have been perfect for those Beach Party movies! Did you ever want to be an actress? Or maybe you were an I just didn't know it!

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2004, 12:55:07 PM »

I'm a big proponent of soundstages myself.  I like the way film-makers with imagination can control the look of the film with just sets and good art direction.  John Ford's moody IRA thriller, THE INFORMER, was all shot on discard sets.  You can also control the budget and the vicissitudes of nature on a soundstage.

I totally agree DR CP, I like the look in many instances, and it gives sort of an unreal look, but in many films that fits so well! Paricularly in musicals. There are some musicals that I don't care for, and one reason is that they are filmed in the real outdoors, which just doesn't appeal to me in their case. INVADERS FROM MARS is another example of a film that I think is memorable for the bizarre stage bound sets.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 12:58:49 PM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2004, 12:59:48 PM »

DR Maya, A STAR IS BORN was not MGM but rather Warner Bros.

I agree completely about the studiobound sets and backdrop in BRIGADOON. Such a fantasy in my eyes in enhanced by these obviously phony outdoor sets. In that fantastic dance Gene and Cyd do to "The Heather on the Hill," those vistas even on inside sets are pretty awesome. If they could have figured out some way to make the water sparkle and ripple in that lake behind them, the scene would have been perfect.

Speaking of the stodgy Minnelli direction of BELLS ARE RINGING. I really think he lost his directorial finesse once the measurements of the screen widened. I know he won the Oscar for GIGI, but I don't find it very imaginatively shot, and BRIGADOON certainly wasn't except for that one number I mentioned above (and who's to say Kelly didn't plan the camera movements since he was the choreographer). Minnelli's best work for me is in his 40s films, particularly something like "This Heart of Mine" and "Limehouse Blues" in ZIEGFELD FOLLIES or the "Madame Bovery Waltz" sequence in MADAME BOVERY, and all the numbers in THE PIRATE.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 01:02:44 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2004, 01:02:02 PM »

Thanks so much Michael Shayne.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »

MBarnum: You'll read all about the drama class Jane is speaking of in Kritzer Time.  That's where we ALL met.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2004, 01:08:34 PM »

And might I just ask a simple question: Where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think this was Martin Luther King day or something.  

Got my galley (hardcopy is on its way, but it's also on the net for me to look at) - this is always a shocking thing for me - but on this book I told them not to send it to me until they'd addressed all the instructions I'd sent and compared it to Kritzerland to make sure the format was right.  So, imagine my surprise to find six pages of the prologue missing.  That freaked me out, and then there were four or five other things wrong in the next few pages so I just stopped and called my production coordinator.  We skimmed through the entire book so we could deal with the major stuff, but I'm happy to report that after those first pages everything was mostly fine.  They actually got the stuff I was most worried about right - and the things they didn't get right are all easy to fix, some italics things that shouldn't be that way, some widows and orphan things and three little format things that can be done globally.  Of course, I'll be going through it now with a fine tooth comb as will others, just to make sure we're okay.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »

Did you ever want to be an actress?

My parents had a few offers for me to act, or to be represented by an agent when I was a child and, despite my tears, my father refused.  After we were married I was about to sign with an agent when Keith and I decided I would get a traditional job and put him through college.  Absolutely no regrets! I'm very happy.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2004, 01:16:11 PM »

BK, glad things look good with the book.

DR Jane, you will probably laugh, but when I first saw the pic of you and Keith, I actually thought that was Keith NOW and your daughter (so I can see why people thought he was robbing the cradle). I'm sorry :)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2004, 01:30:25 PM »

Another thought about soundstages:  My feeling is if you're obsessing about the scenery and vistas, you're not in the story and it must be failing.  Drama is about people; not pretty pictures.

Emily

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2004, 01:30:58 PM »

I hate American holidays.  They make me feel like I am missing something.  The North American cultural vibe is saying "woo hoo vacation!" while I am saying "boo hoo school!"

Oh well... at least I have the Iowa Caucuses to look forward to tonight (Andrea will confirm the fact that I actually AM excited about CNN coverage!) :)

MGM Musicals... heck a lot of the time I can barely remember film titles - not to mention film production companies!  But of all the ones already mentioned I like the Judy Garland ones (Wizard of Oz, Easter Parade, Meet Me in Saint Louis) best of all.

On Saturday I tripped on a flight of concrete stairs in the Lionel-Groulx metro station and tumbled halfway down them until my hand finally caught on the hand rail.  While the rail stopped my fall (ouch btw) it ripped open the insides of my index finger and thumb of my left hand (the inner "L" part if you hold out your thumb from the rest of your hand).  It's definitely healing but is still kinda painful when I type.  Which shows over the fact that it has taken me about three times as long as it should normally to write this post.

Oh well...

Only 3,5 hours left until the caucus coverage starts!!!!! (tcb - no "caucus" jokes please ;) )  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Charles Pogue

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2004, 01:31:54 PM »

Yet another thought about soundstages and location shooting:

An old Hollywood adage:  "A rock is a rock; a tree is a tree.  Shoot it in Griffith Park."

Jane

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2004, 01:32:46 PM »

Jennifer when our boys were around 12 & 13 I did get asked if I was his daughter.  Alas, I really don't look that young anymore and, if Keith wears a hat, he and I look about the same age.  Keith has also lost about 55 pounds since Italy.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2004, 01:33:10 PM »

Speaking of THE BAND WAGON, isn't it funny that Nannette Fabray wasn't swept up into the movies. She was pert, attractive, could sing and dance, and, of course, act.

She went on to have a big TV career winning three Emmys, but she seems like someone the movies left behind, and I think we're the poorer for that.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2004, 01:36:17 PM »

Charles Pogue said: "Another thought about soundstages:  My feeling is if you're obsessing about the scenery and vistas, you're not in the story and it must be failing.  Drama is about people; not pretty pictures."

Charles, when you've seen the movies close to a hundred times, you do tend to look around the frame a bit.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2004, 01:41:25 PM »

Emily-OUCH!  Good vibes to healing quickly.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 01:42:48 PM by Jane »

Michael

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2004, 01:45:08 PM »

Well tonight starts my Cabaret series at the Crest Theater. John McDaniel is the featured artists. Looking forward to an entertaining season. Jason Graae and Liz Callaway will be at the Kravitz center in a concert in February. looking forward to seeing them again.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2004, 02:05:20 PM »

Emily - Ouch, ouch ouch! That sounds so painful. Do hope it heals quickly.
When my daughter  - who just turned 20 the other day - was a youngster in LA, she was sliding down a wooden slide at a friend's house. The slide hadn't been properly sanded and as she held onto the sides, an enormous splinter embeded itself into just that area you described. It was in there AND a big chunk of it was still sticking out. I almost passed out as the doctor removed it. Again - heal quickly, Emily!

Jane - You were/are CUTE. (As was/is Keith.) And you also had a crush on John Payne! Well, twins separated at birth, that must be us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up