Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS DEEP DAY  (Read 23648 times)

Danise

Re:THIS DEEP DAY
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2004, 05:59:53 PM »

Evening all!  Welcome to the newbies!  Hello, Tiff!

We were sort of talking about “Left Behind” the other day.  I was at Walmart and spotted the movie in the $5.00 bin so I bought it.  “Special Edition”   Can you say “Ahhh” “Ohooo”.  I’ll have to give it a look see and will let you know what I think.

Again, I am so sorry I missed the PJ party.  Maybe next time.

No one yet has chosen a Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy film as one of their favorites. If my father could have contributed to this thread, his #1 MGM choice would have been NAUGHTY MARIETTA which for him was always his favorite movie, musical or any other genre.

When I'm calling yooooooouuuuuu?  Sorry but that song cracks me up.  I sing it in the shower and the dogs howl.  I'd  howl if I could do both at once.  

Thank you for the good vibes, Jennifer.  I was really hoping this year wasn't going to be a repeat of last year.  

Emily, I'm so sorry to hear about your tumble and your hand!  I do hope your better soon!

Panni said:
Jane - You were/are CUTE. (As was/is Keith.)
  I agree!  Very cute!

Robin Anderson said:

And again, being perfectly candid, I'd really like to say The Wizard of Oz, but I've always despised the last few minutes of the film; the horrible "it was all a dream" ending really takes away some of the impact of the movie, and you know Miss Gulch will be returning to collect Toto and have him put to sleep...

I thought I was the only person who picked up on that!  Wow!  All that she went though and it really meant NOTHING because NOTHING in the real world had changed.  It was one big denial trip.  

Of course, it still didn't stop me from crying my eyes out everytime she said "Goodbye" to the Scarecrow.  I always started at that point through the credits.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2004, 06:10:50 PM »

I hope I'm not wrong on this one, but I understand "An Old Fashioned Wedding" was not part of the original score for Annie Get Your Gun.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2004, 06:15:26 PM »

Tomorrow should be a busy day.  We've got to get me over to the Delaware DMV to get my ID card, and then it's off to the moving pictures to watch LOTR:ROTK.  Der Brucer is a little antsy about that one, because he hasn't had the chance to review the DVDs of the first two films, but I've promised him I'll explain what I can to him during the intermission.

It's a three-hour film.  It does have an intermission, right?  Right?   :o

Oh, and it's Seniors Tuesday at the outlet malls, so we've both got our discount cards in hand.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2004, 06:19:55 PM »

And this good news is over at Playbill-dot-com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2004, 06:25:07 PM »

S. Woody - correct - Old Fashioned Wedding was added to the Merman mid-sixties revival.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2004, 06:32:33 PM »

Tomorrow should be a busy day.  We've got to get me over to the Delaware DMV to get my ID card, and then it's off to the moving pictures to watch LOTR:ROTK.  Der Brucer is a little antsy about that one, because he hasn't had the chance to review the DVDs of the first two films, but I've promised him I'll explain what I can to him during the intermission.

It's a three-hour film.  It does have an intermission, right?  Right?   :o

Oh, and it's Seniors Tuesday at the outlet malls, so we've both got our discount cards in hand.

Sorry.  No intermission.  And there's zero recap of what transpired in the first two films, so you'd best start your explaining now.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2004, 06:39:16 PM »

Sorry.  No intermission.  And there's zero recap of what transpired in the first two films, so you'd best start your explaining now.
Or I could just be really smug and not say a word!   ;D

Jay

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2004, 06:41:21 PM »

Actually, Dear Reader S. Woody White, may I suggest that you rent the first two films to watch with  DR Der Brucer first, before venturing into the theatre for ROTK?  I know you will resent the delayed satisfaction of seeing the third film, but if DR DB has not yet seen the first two, his enjoyment of Part III will be much diminished.

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), I think we may just hit 100 posts today.  

Jay

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2004, 06:42:38 PM »

Or I could just be really smug and not say a word!   ;D

And ply him with gallons of liquids before showtime.

Danise

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2004, 06:47:33 PM »

Well from the clock on the wall, it's time for bed.  Have a good evening you late posters, you!  Make lots of posts for me to read tomorrow when I get home from work!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2004, 06:56:14 PM »

thanks everyone for the good vibes!

maybe split open was too exaggerated an image for my actual injury.  it's really much more like a deep cut.  bad all the same, but not deadly...

am i the only one who is SHOCKED about iowa?  i like john edwards from what i have seen of him but what on earth do people see in john kerry?  i don't understand...

(american politics are so much more interesting than canadian ones.  here the same people win every single year.)

good night all!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2004, 07:07:23 PM »

Actually, Dear Reader S. Woody White, may I suggest that you rent the first two films to watch with  DR Der Brucer first, before venturing into the theatre for ROTK?  I know you will resent the delayed satisfaction of seeing the third film, but if DR DB has not yet seen the first two, his enjoyment of Part III will be much diminished.
Well, we've got them both on DVD in the extended editions, and I've already watched them both.  He's just not had the time.  Phooey and piddle, I say.  I want to get to the theater and see the film before they ship it off elsewhere, which is likely to happen if we aren't careful hereabouts.  (They've already cut it down from two screens to one.)  

The last time he kept delaying our seeing a film was with Master and Commander, which suddenly wasn't there any more.  And he was the one who wanted to see that!  I'd rather put up with his grumbling about not "getting" everything than have to put up with his sulks when I start grumbling about not getting anything!

And I can easily make it up to him by whipping up a fantastic dinner!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2004, 07:09:55 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]just one hundred and fifty more posts!  godhood, here I come!  wheeeee![/move]

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2004, 07:16:35 PM »

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), I think we may just hit 100 posts today.  

I agree.  I would have enjoyed watching them again before we saw Return of the King.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2004, 07:17:58 PM »

BTW Jay - When I was still acting, I did an educational anti-smoking film in which I played a mother who sets a bad example for her kids by smoking. I was maybe all of 23 and my kids were around 10! They stuck a wig on me and I looked - like a 23-year-old in a wig.

Keith read your post with me so we both had a good laugh. :D

Jane

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2004, 07:25:40 PM »

Thanks for the compliment Danise.  Good luck at with round 2 next week.

Emily I haven't been able to gather the same enthusiasm and interest for our presidential race that you seem to have.  You put me to shame.

Do to the fact I didn’t get much sleep last night, I’m tired.  So I will be turning off the computer now.  Good night.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2004, 07:26:58 PM »

Appears no one is there to talk to anyway. :D

Michael

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2004, 08:08:44 PM »

I was reading about the films slated for 2004 release, and was dumbstuck by this item:  In the upcoming Alexander (about Alexander the Great), directed by Oliver Stone, Colin Farrell will play Alexander and Angelina Jolie, who is one year older than Mr. Farrell, will play his mother.

Can someone please explain this to me?  Were no actresses of a suitable age available for this role?
[/quote

In the Olivier film of Hamlet I believe Eileen Herlie (Sp?) who played Gertrude was younger than Olivier!  Aslo wasn't Glenn Close a few older than Mel Gibson in his version and the same for Angela Lansbury and Laurence Harvey in the original version of The Manchurian Candidate? I am sure there are other examples as well
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2004, 08:22:11 PM »

Well, I really don't see any way this won't be our lowest day, unless the late-night denizens show up and have a rousing posting frenzy.  Very disappointing, but we go on.  Back to proofing.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2004, 08:32:11 PM »

If you haven't seen the first two LORD OF THE RINGS films, or at least read the books, your experience with THE RETURN OF THE KING will be monumentally frustrating. I would take two evenings before you go to it to see each of the previous two films. Having the story fresh in your mind will be very beneficial. Besides, you'll be chomping at the bit to see what happens next after seeing THE TWO TOWERS, especially if, like me, you had no knowledge of how the trilogy was going to end.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2004, 08:34:08 PM »

Well, I like ROSE MARIE, DR Danise. One must enter into those movies knowing that those operetta conventions are going to seem silly nowadays. That's one reason why you don't see those musicals revived on Broadway. They keep bringing back FIDDLER for another round.

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2004, 08:35:34 PM »

DR Emily: I'm curious, why were you using the stairs at Lionel Groulx? Is that where your bus transfers?

I don't think I've ever fallen down a flight of stairs in public. I'm curious, how many people were around. And did anybody offer to help you? (maybe some cute guys???) :)

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2004, 08:37:54 PM »

No one mentioned BEST FOOT FORWARD, but I could have sworn someone around here a few weeks ago was raving about it. Perhaps that was somewhere else where I read that.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2004, 08:41:07 PM »

For those who saw AMERICAN IDOL auditions tonight: weren't you surprised they booted off the first young lady from the air force? She had a perky personality and could actually carry a tune. The young lady from Bulgaria that they accepted wasn't nearly as good. There were several very talented young men I was glad to see move on to the next round.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2004, 08:58:52 PM »

I also liked Wizard of Oz.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jed

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2004, 09:01:40 PM »

Laura has seen TWO movies!!!!! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2004, 09:03:37 PM »

Well, it's after midnight. I wish I could hang around to push up the post totals, but my eyes are leaden, and I must go to bed. Hope the evening produces one of those infamous posting frenzies.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2004, 09:08:30 PM »

I believe that SHOW BOAT in it's many reincarnations had songs added to the score.NOBODY ELSE BUT ME was in the newest revival,I think!!

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2004, 09:13:36 PM »

Well, it's after midnight. I wish I could hang around to push up the post totals, but my eyes are leaden, and I must go to bed. Hope the evening produces one of those infamous posting frenzies.

No late night denizenning for me, either.
my voice is cracking. . .i hope i haven't caught my father's bug.
Chai Latte and bed for me. . .
Business meeting at 2pm tomorrow: the restaurant and the theater to join forces. . . we HOPE! ! !
Work meeting tomorrow night before re-opening the restaurant on Wednesday morning (new stations, new tables, new carpet, new furnace, new bar - -hopefully still the same ole servers!)

Y'all take care!  No more injuries!
Go watch an M-G-M Musical on dvd, videotape, laser or what have you! ! !

I'd also like to add that my favorite "M-G-M Musical" NOT made by M-G-M is Paramount's FUNNY FACE!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2004, 09:19:51 PM »

Just noticed: where in tarnation is Tomovoz? ? ?
That Aussie boy had better get these home fires burning!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up