Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NYMF NIGHTMARE  (Read 33745 times)

Michael

Re:THE NYMF NIGHTMARE
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2007, 10:04:57 AM »

Believe me, I hate what they've done to sound in theaters.  But they've now ruined it for others.  Now they mic straight plays, for God's sake.  Because audiences have been taught to expect loud obnoxious sound levels, it now seems weird to them when they don't get them, even in small venues.  I'd much rather go not acoustic, but with shotgun mics at the foot of the stage (the way A Chorus Line was originally miked) and the band subtly reinforced so they can be mixed to sound good together.  

If Ethel Merman didn't need a mic.....
Never stop dreaming.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2007, 10:07:08 AM »

Here, here, aye, aye and all that!  I agree!

I hate mics cause they're always screwing up -- our sound issues have plagued us every night of our run -- someone's is always not working, at some point there's always feed back at least one show, I hate how you can see those little things taped on people's faces (I mean, it's sooo not obvious it's a little mic and the audience is sooo fooled by the flesh colored tape -- they'll never notice the characters have stuff taped all over their faces, right?), you'll have a scene where it's obvious one character's mic is on and the other's mic is off, sound that is on a mic sounds like, well, sound on a mic and not pure, etc., etc., etc. It's all very distracting and takes away from the "magic" in my 2-cents' worth opinion.

It makes you wonder how shows managed before all this "advancement"(she says very sarcastically) in technology -- I think it was some bygone phrases like projection ... diction ... some kind'a words like that.... oh, and venues built with acoustics in mind ... but I will concede that for musicals the issue in the smaller houses is that when those combos and bands get going and aren't down in a pit, it can be hard to hear the singers over them. At our pit-less house, the band is right there stage right (in our case on this show a mere three feet from that edge of our set, grrrrr) ...and the majority of our partons are aged 70-plus so hearing is already an issue before they even walk through the door ...so what cha gonna do?

Technology -- can't live with it, can't live without it -- well, maybe ...

Karen, you just echoed an acquaintance of mine's comments about micking (sp?). He stated that kids in theatre are not taught projection anymore and it really concerns him for many small theatres cannot afford fancy systems and in his opinion they often make the listeners and the actors lazy. He also cited that many are not taught how to project little speak corrrectly. It annoys him to use mics. He does teach his to use projection and diction. He also REQUIRES them to take a speech class he designed for theatre majors.

He blames aspects of the culture today in which we live and the fact that those who teach the arts in some places do not have a clue of what they are doing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:11:05 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Miss Karen

« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2007, 10:09:34 AM »

Count down to the Big Apple and Brain viewing...yeaaaa! Gotta go pack, download my boarding pass...see all you Brainiacs in NYC -- the time is nigh!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »

Have fun in NYC Karen!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Miss Karen

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2007, 10:11:49 AM »

or is that nie?

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2007, 10:12:43 AM »

TOD:  The two experiences that come to mind in terms of stage experiences that make you just hold your breath and try to get through the scene (other than already noted experience) come from when I was back in Prescott.

1)  I did a production of Fiorello! during my sophomore year of high school at the PFAA (the community theatre where my mom just did Suburb).  For those of you who are familiar with the show, I played Neil, the young up-and-coming intern for Fiorello, but I also doubled as a "Hack" in the poker scenes...which put me in about every scene.  To distinguish the characters, I had on a big fake moustache for when I was a "hack" (I see the jokes coming from this a mile away, der Brucer ;) ), and on our opening night, during "The Bum Won," of course it decided to start slowly and comically sliding off my face.  Luckily I had a newspaper which I promptly threw up in front of my face, as I was laughing away as well as a couple of the other guys in the song.  The audience, of course, ate it up, as they watched me inch my way back behind all of the other guys, but the best moment came near the end of the song where as we were exiting, the moustache very obviously fell out from behind the paper and I had to step on it and slide it off.  

Then shortly thereafter in the last scene, "Morris" starts off the scene where he's on the phone with his wife...only that night, our "Morris" misjudged the time he had and when the lights came up, he wasn't on stage (later we were told he was in the bathroom) and so all of that were on stage did a quick check-in and wondered how we were going to cover.  So I quickly ran up to the phone and started improvising some of the dialogue that I happened to remember of the conversation that he has with "his wife" and did so until I saw him ready to make his entrance, which he did and threw the line to him "Morris, your wife's on the phone and she's really going on about you not being home and with the kids..." and he took it and started his lines and we made it through safe and sound.  Later that evening he wrote on a one-dollar bill "Thanks for saving my ass" and gave it to me - as my first professional dollar I ever earned working in the theater.  :)

2)  During the run of "Fiddler" I did as a senior in high school, the big "Tevye's Dream" sequence, as any of you who have done or even seen the show, can be a nightmare (pun intended) to stage.  Our technical designers went back and forth on how to have Fruma Sarah come in - should we fly her?  Should she come up from the stage floor?  Should she be on top of something?  It was finally decided that she would be sitting at the top of a ladder, strapped in, while the ladder was secured to a dolly navigated by someone underneath the ladder, and all covered in black material.  We worked it over and over to make sure the girl underneath knew what was going on and it was all safe and comfortable for all concerned.

So, we get to the 4th show in our run, and sadly no one had the foresight when we had teched the number to remember that there was going to be dry ice machines pumping out fog on either side of the stage, one strategically placed right near where Fruma Sarah makes her entrance.  For those of you that may not know, dry ice machines (as opposed to fog machines) create condensation right around where they blast out the fog...

About 5 seconds after Fruma Sarah comes out, we all see the whole thing start to topple over and panic ran through everyone of our hearts.  Thankfully they were far enough away from the pit that Fruma Sarah didn't fall into that, and in fact she just kept on singing away on the ground.  The girl underneath was really shaken up, but not hurt - but it brought the show to a halt.  They closed the curtains, and the tech people ran out to check the two girls.  Once we had everything under control, our director went out and made an announcement to the effect of "Live theatre, what can you do, right?"  Then we took the scene from the top and Fruma Sarah came out sans ladder that time - and did so for the rest of the run.

Needless to say, when I (playing Tevye) am trying to figure out with Hodel and Perchik how to break the new to Golde that I've given them my blessing later in the show, the line "How will I tell your mother?  ...Another dream?!" had a WHOLE new context, and managed to get a huge laugh out of the crowd.  :)
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Miss Karen

« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2007, 10:12:45 AM »

Have fun in NYC Karen!

Oooh, that's a given! (but I'll still take any fun vibes any time, so thanks!)

Kerry

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »

And The Song Of The Day:  THE FOLKS WHO LIVE ON THE HILL

One of my absolute favorites-- especially peggy lee's version.  Absolutely stunning!
I like boat races.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2007, 10:17:29 AM »

This would be relating to comments that Jose made a while back about people not being prepared to for auditions.

This acquaintance of mine  has been to several auditions for colleges in the midwest for the grad program. He also cites the lack of preparation and 'fire' in those who want to get into grad school programs. The auditions where has has been they do not mic the stage. They want to hear projection and desire.

Miss Karen

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2007, 10:17:46 AM »

Stage disasters?  Hmmm, speak about givens. I just thought those are always part of doing a show. I've been a part of and witnessed so many, I don't even know where to start.  The "joy" of live theatre!!

Kerry

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »

I have a headache, so perhaps it will rain today.

It already has where i am
I like boat races.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »

Behave yourself young lady ;)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »

NDSU just did Suburb a few years ago.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »

or was it Suburbia....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »

my memory is foggy... I do recall very LOUD music in teh one and they did a promotion for the play with a rockband outside the library. Mind you, I am HOH and I could hear them IN THE LIBRARY!

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »

Count down to the Big Apple and Brain viewing...yeaaaa! Gotta go pack, download my boarding pass...see all you Brainiacs in NYC -- the time is nigh!

You go tomorrow, right?  DH Richard and I will be there about this time a week from today and I can hardly wait!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2007, 10:23:26 AM »

They were awful.... the band that is

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »

I'm just being horribly lazy not doing anything.  It's drizzling out.

Miss Karen

« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2007, 10:24:07 AM »

or was it Suburbia....

Suburb -- and our show closes tonight (and this little stage manager/AD is ready -- I'm done, I'm spent, etc. -- a good run, a nice little musical, but I'm ready to get my life back).

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »

Suburb -- and our show closes tonight (and this little stage manager/AD is ready -- I'm done, I'm spent, etc. -- a good run, a nice little musical, but I'm ready to get my life back).

By spending a week in NYC!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:26:45 AM by Cason »
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2007, 10:27:33 AM »

Dance Call #3 - Choreographer is an airhead.  Everytime I work with her it's like she's never done a show before and everything she says seems that it's a brand new idea.  Oy, it's going to be a long rehearsal process!!!

Miss Karen

« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2007, 10:28:57 AM »

You go tomorrow, right?  DH Richard and I will be there about this time a week from today and I can hardly wait!

I can't wait either!  For the mini-mini HHW reunion for Wednesday's matinee -- DRs Jeanne, MusicGuy, me and any other Brainiacs who want to join us for that one -- and the semi-mini reunion for closing night when the crowd of HHWers will converge at the Acron. I'm so looking forward to meeting so many of you. And experienceing a piece of monkey cake, and...well, getting to spend a week of musical theatre in NYC.!

Miss Karen

« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »

By spending a week in NYC!

Yow-sa! And seeing my little Boo-Key onstage!! Yeaaa!!

Miss Karen

« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2007, 10:30:59 AM »

I hear thunder, sir (Boo-Key reference) and it's raining here -- so maybe it is headed your way, DR Laura.  Have you booked a spot in DR MusicGuy's steamer trunk?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2007, 10:32:19 AM »

Karen, you have a wonderful reward after you successful run... THE BRAIN!!

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2007, 10:33:03 AM »

TOD - do backstage disasters count?  Another production that DR Elmore and I worked on together was Menotti's The Medium, for which I had to help the character of the daughter with a quick costume change into a very gauzy creation.  The diva playing the mother insisted that Velcro closures would speed up the dressing process.  That stuff stuck to that fabric in all the wrong places and it was a mess!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Miss Karen

« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »

Mini-frenzy! Mr. P (or is that me, myself and I according to Vixmom) get out your wading boots!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »

Have fun!

ARe you going Laura? Ron?  derBrucer? SWW?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2007, 10:35:58 AM »

for my earlier story, that is what they closed the guys pants with so they could finish the play. They did not have a spare pair of pants.

I do have to say that kid was a trouper...

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2007, 10:36:39 AM »

I can't wait either.  Samantha was laughing at me last night because I sent her a long email about what to pack, ideas for what we may want to do, etc.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up