Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NYMF NIGHTMARE  (Read 33740 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE NYMF NIGHTMARE
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2007, 08:20:26 AM »

Good morning!

Yes, it's warmed up here, too. I think I'll be forced to turn the central A/C back on at some point today. The morning air was BARELY cool enough to open doors and windows, and it's heating up rapidly. Bah!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2007, 08:23:04 AM »

However, the front door buzzer did not but until 10:30, so... But I was still sort of in "sleep mode"... But since I have rehearsal in a few hours, well..

It turns out, "she" really was just getting a bed delivered today - well, a new bed frame, headboard, footboard.  Thankfully, the delivery guy said she had paid for site-to-site delivery - I didn't bother to ask if she had paid for on-site set-up too.  So, he brought her new iron (heavy!) bed upstairs and put the pieces in her room.  And that's that.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »

Page Four Harry Potter Dance!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2007, 08:23:44 AM »

It's not that warm here in NYC today.  However, the humidity has creeped back up too, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2007, 08:24:52 AM »

I have MARTHA GRAHAM ON FILM, another Criterion set, to begin watching today. Also expected in the mail is the complete series box set of WHAT ABOUT BRIAN.

I'd love to see another BONES episode if I can squeeze it in this afternoon. I know on the Martha Graham set, there are three separate dances that each run about a half hour on the first disc.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2007, 08:25:09 AM »

I have a headache, so perhaps it will rain today.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2007, 08:26:04 AM »

*I just got a call from a friend who went to line up for tickets for tonight's performance of Hair at the Delacorte tonight in Central Park.  He got there at 8:00, and the line was already four blocks long!  The line monitors had just showed up, and he was informed that he was in the "50/50" zone.  :-\   -Apparently, people started lining up at 2:00AM.  I was thinking of waiting in line tomorrow for tickets, well...  Maybe Monday will be a better bet.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2007, 08:27:48 AM »

Hmm... This week's Border's Reward is a 30% off coupon(s).  Hmm... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »

Worst mishap I've ever seen onstage was the actor playing/skating Rusty (a black hsired actor) in STARLIGHT EXPRESS wrapping himself around one of the girders at the Gershwin Theater during the first big race sequence. Somehow he got backstage and in the next scene where Rusty appeared, a blonde actor was Rusty. The switch was mentioned over the sound system in the middle of the show, also a first for me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 08:30:58 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »

I can't remember any real accidents in any shows I've done. I remember the actor playing Glad Hand in WEST SIDE STORY totally went up on his lines during the gym sequence (which he more or less runs) the night the performance was being taped and various Jets and Sharks had to help him out to keep the sequence going.

The girl I was dancing with in "The Spanish Panic" in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS had one of her boobs pop out of her costume in the middle of the frenzied number, but even though we were in front (I played Sir Harry), I don't think anyone saw for the few seconds it was visible.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2007, 08:51:58 AM »

Well... I still have to put away the laundry I did yesterday, and then it's off to rehearsal.  We were supposed to start at 1:00 today, but they moved it to 2:00.  However, since the rehearsal hall had already been booked, I'm gonna go head and take advantage of the extra hour and get some more practice/work done on the score.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2007, 08:52:48 AM »

Cason, BJ, Adriana, bk, etc... If you find yourselves at a loss for what to do for dinner, just give me a call later.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2007, 09:07:41 AM »

Good morning all. I"m at the office ready to do some bookwork and get caught up.

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »

TOD there are two that come to mind.   The first was our high school production of THE MOUSE THAT ROARED.  I was one if the WACs and at one point near the end of the show we enter with our feet dyed purple from stomping grapes.   The production was in our high school little theater and there was no back stage to speak of, so we would exit, go outside, dye our feet and come back in (or something like that)

Well one night we started talking and realized we missed our entrance. It was one of those "Look I see them coming" type of entrances...we didn't know what to do....so they ad libbed a little and just after they had gone on in the script we decided to enter.  Boy did that throw things off.
Everyone tried to recover, one of us threw in a line about being lost, and then the giggles broke out. We were close enough to the end that we did finish the show, but it was a disaster

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2007, 09:15:37 AM »

The other was a community theater production of THE MUSIC MAN.  Not knowing what to use for a lamp post, our director decided to use one of those kick balls painted white on top of a post.   It actually looked pretty good, but unbeknownst to the quartet members, it wasn't attached to the post, just balanced up there.   So, you guessed it, one performance in the middle of the quartet's big number, one of them decided to lean against the post....the ball fell off the post and bounced right into the audience amid much laughter from the audience

William E. Lurie

« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »

I was at the Yom Kippur Eve BRAIN and enjoyed it a lot more than I would have if the sound was working.  YOU DO NOT NEED TO MIC PERFORMERS IN A 199 SEAT VENUE.  I heard everything fine and I really didn't notice any of the problems BK mentioned.  It would have been nice if the mics weren't so obvious (even if they weren't working).  You should continue the run with sound design by God.  It's a very funny show.

It was nice seeing you briefly at intermission BK, and I hope you enjoy the gummis.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »

DR Jose - in the novel I'm reading one of the characters just said, "Flora likes those brown-sugar cupcakes from Yura."

Comment?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2007, 09:30:05 AM »

Dance Call #1 - sitting in auditions for A Christmas Carol so far, so good.  Wait - the dance call is over there was no music?  (I'm not playing anyway, just taking notes, being a real MD) Oh wait, there's the music (cast recording).  More later.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2007, 09:37:48 AM »

Then, let's encore:

The top are North Dakota puppies

der Brucer

No requests for Elizabeth?

Cute pictures derBrucer...

Cute doggies there!!!  A freind of mine's daughter competes in Team Roping. So she is always chasing the doggies!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2007, 09:40:35 AM »

DR Jose - in the novel I'm reading one of the characters just said, "Flora likes those brown-sugar cupcakes from Yura."

Comment?

It's a nice small (cramped) place.  It was a "hot" place a few years ago, but the hype seems to have died down lately.  I've also heard that they down-sized some of their bakery selections in favor of increasing their lunch and dinner offerings.  But it's just over on Madison Ave., so...  Could be worth the walk.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2007, 09:43:54 AM »

Just noted on IMDB, Alice Ghostley had a very long career in Television and stage. I was surprised to see that she was on Passions.

I do recall her being on Bewitched and Designing Women.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Miss Karen

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2007, 09:52:08 AM »

I was at the Yom Kippur Eve BRAIN and enjoyed it a lot more than I would have if the sound was working.  YOU DO NOT NEED TO MIC PERFORMERS IN A 199 SEAT VENUE.  I heard everything fine and I really didn't notice any of the problems BK mentioned.  It would have been nice if the mics weren't so obvious (even if they weren't working).  You should continue the run with sound design by God.  It's a very funny show.

Here, here, aye, aye and all that!  I agree!

I hate mics cause they're always screwing up -- our sound issues have plagued us every night of our run -- someone's is always not working, at some point there's always feed back at least one show, I hate how you can see those little things taped on people's faces (I mean, it's sooo not obvious it's a little mic and the audience is sooo fooled by the flesh colored tape -- they'll never notice the characters have stuff taped all over their faces, right?), you'll have a scene where it's obvious one character's mic is on and the other's mic is off, sound that is on a mic sounds like, well, sound on a mic and not pure, etc., etc., etc. It's all very distracting and takes away from the "magic" in my 2-cents' worth opinion.

It makes you wonder how shows managed before all this "advancement"(she says very sarcastically) in technology -- I think it was some bygone phrases like projection ... diction ... some kind'a words like that.... oh, and venues built with acoustics in mind ... but I will concede that for musicals the issue in the smaller houses is that when those combos and bands get going and aren't down in a pit, it can be hard to hear the singers over them. At our pit-less house, the band is right there stage right (in our case on this show a mere three feet from that edge of our set, grrrrr) ...and the majority of our partons are aged 70-plus so hearing is already an issue before they even walk through the door ...so what cha gonna do?

Technology -- can't live with it, can't live without it -- well, maybe ...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:02:49 AM by Miss Karen »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2007, 09:53:31 AM »

Worst stage disaster...

THis one poor kid in a badly written play, bent over in a scene to pick up something and that is when his pants split open completely in the back showing his lovely bunny rabbit boxers to a gym filled with about 200 parents, freinds and grandparents.  He turns around and announces " Damn, I have to quit watching my dad's killer bunny videos"

Miss Karen

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2007, 09:55:42 AM »

der Brucer -- The sound stuff is a right-winged conspiracy I tell ya -- those sound techies have us convinced we can't live without their toys and they're laughing all the way to the bank... ;)
oh, and I like all your animal photos sooo much more than a picture of a pregnant Elizabeth H. -- so good call on your picture selections!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:56:31 AM by Miss Karen »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2007, 09:56:27 AM »

Another one happened to my freind Sandy's daughter who was in a small town high school play, as she was to go to the door to answer the knocking in the one scene, the entire wall, except for the door came crashing down around her in rehearsal. The props person did not realize you had to brace the wall to keep it from falling.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2007, 09:57:38 AM »

Believe me, I hate what they've done to sound in theaters.  But they've now ruined it for others.  Now they mic straight plays, for God's sake.  Because audiences have been taught to expect loud obnoxious sound levels, it now seems weird to them when they don't get them, even in small venues.  I'd much rather go not acoustic, but with shotgun mics at the foot of the stage (the way A Chorus Line was originally miked) and the band subtly reinforced so they can be mixed to sound good together.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2007, 09:59:47 AM »

Jose did you get my message?  Give a call.  Also, Mr. Wechter and Miss Patti will be meeting me later at 44x10, a restaurant Skip and Fred took me to once that I absolutely loved (I had their buttermilk fried chicken which was amazing, and we all shared mac and cheese that was really excellent) - we're getting there at four so come on by after your rehearsal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2007, 10:00:31 AM »

Yesterday the temperature was in the 90s.  Today, not.  Go know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2007, 10:01:05 AM »

It was so nice to see William E. Lurie and his beloved last night - and of course I've already dived into one bag of peach rings.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »

Must apologize for my lack of being around these past few weeks.

With a combination of the car accident, being on jury duty & also working when I can and fighting pain that has since crept on me; it has been difficult for me to catch up on everything that has happened here.

So bear with me if I ask questions that have been answered.

Belated birthday wishes to all that had birthdays.

Vibes to all those that needed them.

Thanks
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up