Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THIRD BRAIN  (Read 31852 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE THIRD BRAIN
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2007, 05:24:58 AM »

[size=8]PAGE THREE[/size]
[/color][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2007, 05:27:49 AM »

I have a vivid memory, too.

But, this is a family site.

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2007, 05:29:15 AM »

Or maybe that's just a very vivid imagination.

Well, in any case...

Ben

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2007, 05:29:55 AM »

Yes, vibes to Peter in Oz!

singdaw

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2007, 05:36:51 AM »

THE THIRD BRAIN

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Or was it The Bird Brain?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:51 AM »

Somebody, PLEASE, remember to take a camera tonight!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

singdaw

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2007, 05:57:16 AM »

Somebody, PLEASE, remember to take a camera tonight!

I volunteer!

That way I don't have to be IN any of the pictures.    ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 05:58:41 AM »

I am now officially off the hook with the NY State Dept of Motor Vehicles, so that's today's first good news.  

DR Ben I must step in and defend McNally's play, which I was lucky to see in its original Broadway production.  It was fast, furious and hilarious with a wonderful cast of farceurs.  The movie doesn't pack the punch of the stage show because, like all good Feydeau and other brilliant farces, farce is all about confined space, doors, timng, and wrong beds.  The film opened it up way too much, although I usually love Richard Lester's work and it's great to have Rita Moreno's performance preserved.  I think it's a very well-assembled farce, and perhaps it's been revived too early to make it the period comedy it is.  In 1975, the baths and Bette Midler's performing in them were topical, silly, and naughty as Feydeau's Hotel du Libre Echange (usually Hotel Paradiso); now the baths, to me at least, are a symbol of a plague and a lot of deaths.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 06:11:18 AM »

VIBES TO Dear Friend of DR tomovoz, PETER.

DR singdaw, yes, the toe, and gout, are much better - pain-free for several days; also, no sushi, chinese food (in bed) or chowders or bisques for several days.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

singdaw

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 06:21:21 AM »

DR singdaw, yes, the toe, and gout, are much better - pain-free for several days

Great news, DR td!   :)

also, no sushi, chinese food, ...or chowders or bisques for several days.

Can't eat them, or can't serve them?     ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 06:49:26 AM »

That's a party just waiting to happen.

My question for ASK BK day:

When you were small....what preview convinced you that you MUST MUST MUST see the movie?

And what preview did just the opposite, convinced you that you would not attend said movie?  8)

I can't be specific, really, but when I was a kid ALL previews convinced me to see just about everything - I loved previews.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 06:57:48 AM »

And here's a sneak peak at a review that will appear on Broadwayworld.com at some point today.  This is fascinating because the show was already "reviewed" there poorly - I didn't mind that that person didn't care for the show, but I did mind the accusation of note-for-note song plagerism (later retracted when he was shown there wasn't even a similarity) and this guy's smarmy little cross-outs alluding that we just took stuff from other musicals like The Rocky Horror Show - since I really don't like the latter and would never take anything from it even in homage, I asked him to point out the allusions to that show - nothing was pointed out needless to say.  

In any case, this review is by another fellow, a little older, and who, more importantly, saw the show on Friday night, when everything was working (save for the sound) exactly as it should.

From Michael Dale:

The Brain From Planet X

Bruce Kimmel (book, score and direction) and David Wechter's (book) musical may be a spoof of 1950's low-budget sci-fi flicks, but its roots are solidly embedded in musical comedy.  From the borscht belt jokes to the wildly comic performances to the spiffy show-biz score, pretty tap-dancing showgirls and buff showboys, The Brain From Planet X struts its considerable assets in an unapologetic quest to entertain.  And entertain it does.  I laughed, I tapped my toes, I laughed some more and had a swell time.

Looking a little like Phil Silvers in a straightjacket, the hilariously diabolical Barry Pearl wears an enormous brain headdress and big black glasses as the title character, determined to conquer earth by sapping us of our emotions and love for the American suburban way.  Alet Taylor, as fellow alien Yoni (decked out like an intergalactic Ann-Margret), stops the show dead with her vamp number "I Need An Earthman."  Her Planet X associate, Zubrick (Cason Murphy) is a bit of a tight-ass, but once he discovers Earth's greatest cultural achievement, musical theatre, he becomes a dancing fool and exuberantly leads the chorus in a smashing number called "The Brain Tap."  (The night I attended there were some difficulties with the microphones, but Murphy was loud and clearly heard singing over a multitude of tapping feet.)

Back on Earth, General Mills of the United States Army (a bellowing Richard Pruitt), assisted by Private Partz (Chad Harlow, who has no lines but whose subtle reactions are a scream) recruit part-time inventor Fred Bunson (a nicely earnest Rob Evans) to help save the planet.  But it may be too late to save Fred's wife, Joyce ( Amy Bodnar, who continually flashes an eerily toothy smile).  Meanwhile, Merrill Grant is a comical whirlwind as libido-charged teenager Donna Bunson, who can belt out the catchy "Good Girl/Bad Girl" while athletically flinging herself all over her beat poet boyfriend (Paul Downs Colaizzo).

Kimmel's direction is in the classic George Abbott style of faster, louder, funnier, with jokes ranging from sly and satirical (one of Fred's inventions is a device to help 1950's teenagers develop a taste for tobacco) to the lowest of wordplay ("You wouldn't know the Earth from Uranus.").  Adam Cates' flashy choreography and Jessa-Raye Court's colorful costumes add to the fun, making The Brain From Planet X a terrific time for tired businessmen, matinee ladies and over-caffeinated kids alike.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 07:08:45 AM »

Good morning!

Cooler overnight and this morning, so the house is opened up and getting aired out. Still going to be 85 today, so around lunchtime, I'll be shutting everything back up and turning on the A/C for the rest of the afternoon and early evening. Around 10, I may be able to open things up again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2007, 07:09:46 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And the handyman should have been here by now to look at my broken window... The one I reported last week.  Of course, he showed up yesterday morning to look at the clogged drain... The one I reported last week... (And then fixed/unclogged on my own).  Well, since I'll be meeting DR MusicGuy down in Chelsea in an hour and a half, I guess it's good that I'm up.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2007, 07:10:57 AM »

Here's the direct link - it appeared under Michael Dale's NYMF Notes Part One, in which he does round-up reviews.  

http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=21689

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2007, 07:12:36 AM »

DR singdaw - I'll probably be second-acting the show since I'll be in rehearsal until 5:00 down around Macy's.  So, I may see you in the lobby.

Otherwise, just take the shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square, then walk the block under or above ground to 8th Avenue.. Then keep walking west on 42nd Street until you get to 9th Avenue.  The Theatre Row complex is on the south side of 42nd Street, between 9th and 10th Avenues.  See you there!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »

After I read the morning newspaper and cleaned the den (it IS WEdnesday, after all), I sat down and watched the TORCHWOOD episode that I missed last Saturday night (recorded last night at 11 p.m.)

Really enjoyed the episode. Amazing that since CENTRAL PARK WEST flopped, John Barrowman couldn't get arrested on American television, and I don't undertstand why since he's talented, attractive, and holds one's attention when he's on screen. Maybe he was just more interested in appearing in Great Britain (he was turned down for Will on WILL & GRACE), but he could have been wonderfully cast in the part John Benjamin Hickey played on IT'S ALL RELATIVE. (He and Chrispher Sieber would have been ONE HOT COUPLE.)

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2007, 07:17:17 AM »

PUSHING DAISIES doesn't premiere until next week (due to DANCING WITH THE STARS), but I do plan to catch PRIVATE PRACTICE (which has gotten lousy reviews) and DIRTY SEXY MONEY tonight with their premieres.

And I guess I'll give the Kelsey Grammer/Patricia Heaton sitcom BACK TO YOU one more chance.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2007, 07:20:53 AM »

This afternoon, I'll be continuing with CRIMINAL MINDS. And I have BOSTON LEGAL and SVU from last night to watch (probably in the early evening).

If THE JUNGLE BOOK comes in today, I may switch over to it since I know the release is a 2-disc set and that means hours of extras to get through.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2007, 07:27:46 AM »

DR Ben - No "apologies" needed.  I soooo totally agree with you about Rosie Perez's accent getting in the way.  There were even some Hispanic couples  sitting next to me who weren't sure when she was speaking in English or Spanish.

As for her cabaret sequence, I think the fact that it does go on too long is part of the bit.  -I've also just always found Seth Rudetsky's sense of humor - and "wrong"-ness - very much my cup of tea.  -And his little "cameo" in the second act.... :)

My friend from Roundabout did say the run is almost sold out - as is their Pygmalion.  Of course, since The Ritz was on TKTS last night, I'm wondering if, like a lot of theatres, they're sending a block of tickets over to TKTS each night anyway just to be safe.

How was the "rhythm" last night?  I remember walking by some ushers on the way out on Sunday, and they were commenting on how fast the show went by that day - and they were out a few minutes earlier than normal.

And, yes, in the canon of McNally's work, this is most definitely a "slight" piece.  Even the whole "acceptance" seems to be a bit glossed over, too pat.  But that could also be the way that I see it - someone who came out years after the original play and movie were produced... A year after Rock Hudson came out/was outed... Right at the beginning of the AIDS crisis.  -Which makes me want to read and/or see a production of Love! Valour! Compassion! again.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2007, 07:32:16 AM »

OH...

And as I was walking out Studio 54 on Sunday, I remembered that the first time I saw the movie of "The Ritz" was in some hotel somewhere.  I was probably only about 11 or 12 years-old, and it was a family vacation.  And it just so happened that after we had gotten settled into our hotel room, the late-night movie that was on on some channel was "The Ritz".

I seem to recall that my parents, well, at least my Mom knew about the movie and wanted to watch it.  I remember wanting to watch it since it had Rita Moreno in it - and since I loved her in "West Side Story" and "The Electric Company"...

Then I remember a lot of channel-surfing going on.  Especially once all the towels and steam started to show up on the TV screen...

Hmmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2007, 07:37:13 AM »

Well, time for me to get ready to head out for the day.  And what a day it will be: Lunch with DR MusicGuy, Mary Poppins rehearsal, possibly the second act of The Brain, and then dinner with the gang.  *And, yes, I'll have my camera on me too.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »

Thanks for the directions, DR JoseSPiano!  :)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2007, 07:40:01 AM »

I can not believe that 50 Years Ago Today(September 26,1957) WEST SIDE STORY opened on Broadway.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2007, 07:40:03 AM »

And here's a sneak peak at a review that will appear on Broadwayworld.com at some point today.  This is fascinating because the show was already "reviewed" there poorly - I didn't mind that that person didn't care for the show, but I did mind the accusation of note-for-note song plagerism (later retracted when he was shown there wasn't even a similarity) and this guy's smarmy little cross-outs alluding that we just took stuff from other musicals like The Rocky Horror Show - since I really don't like the latter and would never take anything from it even in homage, I asked him to point out the allusions to that show - nothing was pointed out needless to say.  

In any case, this review is by another fellow, a little older, and who, more importantly, saw the show on Friday night, when everything was working (save for the sound) exactly as it should.

From Michael Dale:

The Brain From Planet X

Bruce Kimmel (book, score and direction) and David Wechter's (book) musical may be a spoof of 1950's low-budget sci-fi flicks, but its roots are solidly embedded in musical comedy.  From the borscht belt jokes to the wildly comic performances to the spiffy show-biz score, pretty tap-dancing showgirls and buff showboys, The Brain From Planet X struts its considerable assets in an unapologetic quest to entertain.  And entertain it does.  I laughed, I tapped my toes, I laughed some more and had a swell time.

Looking a little like Phil Silvers in a straightjacket, the hilariously diabolical Barry Pearl wears an enormous brain headdress and big black glasses as the title character, determined to conquer earth by sapping us of our emotions and love for the American suburban way.  Alet Taylor, as fellow alien Yoni (decked out like an intergalactic Ann-Margret), stops the show dead with her vamp number "I Need An Earthman."  Her Planet X associate, Zubrick (Cason Murphy) is a bit of a tight-ass, but once he discovers Earth's greatest cultural achievement, musical theatre, he becomes a dancing fool and exuberantly leads the chorus in a smashing number called "The Brain Tap."  (The night I attended there were some difficulties with the microphones, but Murphy was loud and clearly heard singing over a multitude of tapping feet.)

Back on Earth, General Mills of the United States Army (a bellowing Richard Pruitt), assisted by Private Partz (Chad Harlow, who has no lines but whose subtle reactions are a scream) recruit part-time inventor Fred Bunson (a nicely earnest Rob Evans) to help save the planet.  But it may be too late to save Fred's wife, Joyce ( Amy Bodnar, who continually flashes an eerily toothy smile).  Meanwhile, Merrill Grant is a comical whirlwind as libido-charged teenager Donna Bunson, who can belt out the catchy "Good Girl/Bad Girl" while athletically flinging herself all over her beat poet boyfriend (Paul Downs Colaizzo).

Kimmel's direction is in the classic George Abbott style of faster, louder, funnier, with jokes ranging from sly and satirical (one of Fred's inventions is a device to help 1950's teenagers develop a taste for tobacco) to the lowest of wordplay ("You wouldn't know the Earth from Uranus.").  Adam Cates' flashy choreography and Jessa-Raye Court's colorful costumes add to the fun, making The Brain From Planet X a terrific time for tired businessmen, matinee ladies and over-caffeinated kids alike.

Wow! That's great.  I haven't mentioend the other review since I felt that his "mindless fun" comment, which sounded good came too late after his bitching.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »

*Oh, one other tidbit about the current revival of The Ritz...

Ashlie Atkinson who plays Vivian Proclo was a last-minute replacement -and the reason they cancelled their first preview (to give her more time to rehearse with the cast).  She had left a show to do The Ritz, and that show just happens to be Roller Derby.  ;)  *And Ms. Atkinson is a member of  Gotham Girls Roller Derby, where she goes by "Margaret Thrasher".
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2007, 07:44:58 AM »

Wednesday.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2007, 07:45:09 AM »

Blech.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2007, 07:46:10 AM »

I know that I am supposed to be getting my copy of the "Mickey-Judy" DVD box today, but the DHL tracker places the box in Ohio at 4:51 a.m. today.

DHL works wonders.  So, we'll see.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2007, 07:47:32 AM »

MOJO (HD channel on ComCast) aired a startlingly good HD version of "Jagged Edge" last night with Jeff Bridges and Glenn Close.  

I remember having liked this film long, long ago.  The courtoom scenes seem really silly to me now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up