Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACHY-BREAKY BK  (Read 68490 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re:ACHY-BREAKY BK
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2007, 09:08:26 PM »

I watched Black Book today. It was part of the summer film series here and I missed it. Everyone raved about it, but I guess I'm just not really into the war/spy movie genre.  It was ok, but I guess I expected more. Next is The Wind That Blows the Barley...I think that's the name of it

The Wind That Shakes The Barley

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2007, 09:16:40 PM »

And if by wizardry we are on Page Nine

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »

WHERE ARE THE MICS?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »

After hearing so much about the brilliance of Bend And Snap, what a disappointment.  Jerry Mitchell just doesn't have it, I'm afraid.  And that whole Greek chorus thing is annoying to me because they don't obey the rules they set up.  And the UPS Man was just so, Jerry Mitchell.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:52 PM »

Oh, well, on to the end.  I like courtroom stuff, so maybe this part will appeal to me more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »

Mind you, it's all very slick and packaged, with those awful moving lights and concert lighting - but those screaming teens who are so obviously being led to scream in the oddest places.  I am amazed that they didn't sweeten some of the jokes that just didn't land for this audience (or audiences).  But when they laugh, boy do they pump the volume - but those screams are cheerled by people in the audience.  And how about the LIGHTING on the audience.  How stupid is that?

FJL

« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2007, 09:24:04 PM »

Brilliance of Bend and Snap?  No way.  It makes the leading lady recede into part of the chorus, a big error IMHO, even though I love the show.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2007, 09:24:18 PM »

After hearing so much about the brilliance of Bend And Snap, what a disappointment.  Jerry Mitchell just doesn't have it, I'm afraid.  And that whole Greek chorus thing is annoying to me because they don't obey the rules they set up.  And the UPS Man was just so, Jerry Mitchell.

I agree BK. They disbanded The Greek Chorus completely in The Second Act.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2007, 09:30:11 PM »

It will be very interesting to see how much longer Legally Blonde runs on Broadway. And I truly believe that they really are missing the boat on the possibility of The Road Company of the show ever succeeding.The only hope they have is if the DVD, of what I call a dreadful show, is released

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2007, 09:32:38 PM »

Every review I read couldn't stop talking about the brilliance of the Bend And Snap staging - which, to my eye, was awful - no build, no fun, no focus.  If that's what makes up a show-stopping number these days, no wonder musicals are in such shape as they are.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »

In other words - the new guys should learn from people like Bennett and Fosse and Champion about build and focus and yes bend and snap.

FJL

« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »

All this talk of dance numbers is making my foot hurt.  :)

Off to bed with me and my foot.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2007, 09:41:36 PM »

Hmmm... I don't really remember that much buzz over the "Bend and Snap" number.  People were just glad to know that one of the funniest scenes in the movie was included in the stage musical.  -It also works better when you see the reactions of everyone in the beauty parlor instead of just the close-ups.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2007, 09:45:25 PM »

As for the mics... Well, I will say that even "live" a lot of the mics are well hidden.  -And I was afraid they were going to go ahead and resort to those telephone operator ones just to be "hip".  Laura Bell has a couple of different wigs, and her mics are built into them, and since most of the other women in the show are wigged, their mics are also well-camouflaged.

*I'm also wondering if some of the mics were edited out digitally.  ???

**And, yes, they did do a taping with no audience.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2007, 09:46:11 PM »

I didn't like the courtroom scene/song; but I did enjoy "Bend and Snap."  I hadn't heard any of the score until yesterday's tv broadcast - it's totally unmemorable.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »

What is it, fish?

YES:

Northwest Florida Daily News

That's Some Fish: Record-Breaking Shark
Six friends went to a Florida fishing tournament to catch some grouper but caught an 844-pound shark instead.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »

I realized the gals' mics could be in the wigs, but that doesn't explain a) the lack of wires going up the back of the head, or b) why no male in the MTV version has a mic.  I suspect they taped them without mics when there was no audience, because otherwise I just don't get it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2007, 10:14:13 PM »

Gay Or European was cheap and again took me out of the story because it just stops everything to have a big comedy number that has no reality to it.  I don't mind that as long as it's set up somewhere, but it's not.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2007, 10:14:36 PM »

I think I'll take a nice, hot shower now and wash the chills down the drain.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2007, 11:23:05 PM »

What was everyone's beginning salary at their first tax-paying job?

I made $1.35 per hour during the summer between my junior and senior high classes working as a stock clerk at Columbia Wholesale....my father was a salesman there.  Take home pay was usually about $35!

My first job was at $3.35 an hour. :) I've certainly moved up in the world.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2007, 11:41:18 PM »

And the big Legally Blonde question of the night: WHERE ARE THE MICS?  Clearly someone at MTV made the decision not to have them, as there's not a one in sight.  So, how did they mic the show for those performances?  Huh?  Unless they taped one without and audience and that's what's making up the bulk of the broadcast.

At one point, Christian Borle had one in his right side upper hairline.  I don't remember where it was in the show, but I only saw it the one time...that I noticed.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:42:28 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2007, 11:43:10 PM »

It is OVER!!!  Finished!!!

The wedding last night was lovely....no major problems.  When my sister posts some pictures, I will add a couple.

Everything was ON TIME and we kept things moving.  We were to be finished by 11:30 - and the happy couple were on their way to the limousine through a street lined with friends holding flaming sparklers at 11:20!!!

Great news on the wedding front!  And Italy for the honeymoon...wow! :)

George

« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2007, 11:46:57 PM »

Mind you, it's all very slick and packaged, with those awful moving lights and concert lighting - but those screaming teens who are so obviously being led to scream in the oddest places.  I am amazed that they didn't sweeten some of the jokes that just didn't land for this audience (or audiences).  But when they laugh, boy do they pump the volume - but those screams are cheerled by people in the audience.  And how about the LIGHTING on the audience.  How stupid is that?

The screaming got annoying very quickly and the lighting the audience just made no sense. :-\
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up