Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A NEW VIBE  (Read 65455 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A NEW VIBE
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:02:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were perfunctorily perfuntory, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they'll be here as soon as they find a new vibe.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:24:21 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A NEW VIBE
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: JACTITATION!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:05:40 AM »

Welcome sixteen GUESTS.  PARTAY!  LIMBO!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:05:49 AM »

NY-QUIL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:05:59 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

singdaw

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:50:22 AM »

Eventually!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:51:53 AM »

My first job out of school was as a bank teller for approximately $10,000 per year.

singdaw

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »

I hope you feel much improved today, bk!

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 02:36:27 AM »

Only one more week until my follow up visit with the bone doctor.   So, I only have more week of having a 5000 pound leg  or hopping around or hurting or being at all inconvenienced.  Right?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:51:46 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:38:52 AM »

Nothing can be more lonley or solitary than pain.   I don't need to tell most of you that, though!  :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:39:25 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 05:19:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: JACTITATION!

And The Song Of The Day Is: JUST YOU WAIT

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 05:27:33 AM »

Good morning.  That is all.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a meeting at Toyland this morning, perhaps laundry in the afternoon, and then a bit of socializing with DR Jose.

Last night, in my continuing mission to see the complete oeuvre of John Schlesinger, I watched HONKY TONK FREEWAY.  I have to drag out the bio now and see what it says about the film beynd what a flop it was.  It seemed a very messy, but very funny, film to me, NASHVILLE without the brilliance, so I'd be curious to know how much was studio interference, etc.  I have to call Celia Weston about it; I don't recall ever seeing her looking so young in a film.  I also wish I'd seen the film before 2000 so I could have asked Deborah Rush about it when I worked with her at Williamstown.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 05:47:16 AM »

Sorry, DR TCB, forgot to respond to your post yesterday.

The photo is from a production called Working Man's Clothes.  Obviously, he needs to work some more, as he's hardly wearing any.

FJL

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 06:12:16 AM »

Just checking in.  

The thing about pain seems to be that no one understands that you're going through it unless you specificially tell them - over and over.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 06:17:06 AM »

My foot pain is obviously nothing compared to what others are going through, and it seems to lessen as the day goes on.  

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 06:35:52 AM »

Good morning, Bruce! Hope you're feeling better soon.

For pure entertainment musical, I'd have to go with the much-reviled revival of "On The Town" in Central Park, as much because of the circumstances of the day as the show itself. I was in a miserable part-time job, and was becoming disenchanted with my graduate school program.  I was accompanied by a dear friend's dear friend, a striking tall Irish lass who willingly became my "arm candy" for that summer. It was a perfect evening. We had sushi at a kosher place that closed down far too quickly (I had a great rapport with the sushi chef; when I came in, he'd ask how much I wanted to spend that day, and prepare what he thought was the best of the day). Walking into the Delacorte, and seeing the bridge set lit up against the backdrop of Central Park, we both just said "wow." I wasn't at all familiar with the score before, and Bernstein's opening notes had me jumping out of my seat. Lea DeLaria, Mary Testa, and company were absolutely sensational, and if the choreography wasn't memorable, I didn't particularly care. Pure bliss, and I caught the show twice more during its brief Broadway run, standing outside the cavernous Gershwin theater in the freezing cold for rush tickets in its last week. I would later have one of my Playbills autographed by Comden & Green when I saw them at Joe's Pub (another treasured memory; anyone who doubted that theater can do miracles only needed to see how the two of them shed 40 years each when they came on stage, and unfortunately, how quickly they regained them when they left.) Close second: the Irish rep revival of "Finian's Rainbow," which caused me to petition the Oxford English Dictionary to re-define the adjective form of the word "sublime"

Most magical play: a production of Shakespeare's "Cymbeline" at the Pearl Theatre in the East Village (circa 1995). Shep Sobel's minimalist vision (a trunk a la the Fantasticks, strips of cloth representing uniforms worn by different sides, and a 10-member ensemble performing full war scenes) was just magical. I saw it five or six times (plus a few half-times from the wings) when I interned there, and I have not seen Shakespeare as wonderfully done since.

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 06:42:51 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today would ordinarily be my day off for the week, but I changed it to tomorrow in order to guest-lecture at the University of Dayton this afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 06:57:56 AM »

(((((Kerry and FJL)))))

I hope your pain can get under control.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 06:58:34 AM »

BK, in the daily column:
the critically lauded Bend and Snap

This got me googling.  I can't find any review lauding ye olde Bend and Snap.  Some liked Mr. and Mrs. Andy Karl.  Which reminds me that in certain circles (hell, a lot of them), I'm referred to as Joy Dewing's husband - and am called Noel Dewing.  When Andy Karl experiences the same (and his wife, too, is more famous than he is), what's he called, just plain Andy?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:42 AM »

For pure fun, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, that rare entertainment in which each and every song, each and every scene, is laugh-out-loud funny.  I got to see it with Robert Morse, Rudy Vallee, and a leading lady with an unforgettable name: Penny Worth.  Because he refused to take credit, it's sometimes forgotten that the choreography (for all but the "intentionally bad" number) was by Bob Fosse.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 07:55:22 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up.... And is this a slow newsday at HHW?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 07:55:57 AM »

TOD - you mean other than The Brain from Planet X, Such Good Friends, and The Last Starfighter week before last  ;) ?

I've had many magical experiences in the audience for musicals:

My first professional production - the touring Music Man at Detroit's Riviera Theatre when I was 9

My first Broadway show - Cabaret original cast in 1967

But the one that really stands out is the Oklahoma! revival, which I saw with DR Elmore at NYC's Palace Theatre in the summer of 1980.  My previous experience of that show had been the movie and an awful community theatre production, so to see it on Broadway with a perfect cast and a high-quality production was awesome.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 08:00:26 AM »

TOD

That would be a tough choice.  Definately seeing HELLO, DOLLY! with the all-Black cast starring Pearl Bailey and Cab Calloway.  I know some people don't care for the show, and some people only know it from the movie; but to me it is sheer magic. No great messages delivered; just pure joy, pure fun, incredible dancing, and a score to keep you humming for days.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 08:07:35 AM »

Good morning!

I've had the plumber here most of the morning. I had a huge clog in the mainline, and it took awhile for the equipment to get it. Now, a bit poorer but with toilets that flush, clothes washers that drain, and a shower that not only spits out water but also takes it away, I can be a normal human again.

I have to say it was a scary thing when you can't drain dirty water from out of your house.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 08:08:37 AM »

Thanks for the foot vibes!

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 08:09:06 AM »

In the same frame of mind as DR TCB, I choose MAME as the most pure entertainment I have ever seen - on Broadway or on any other stage.

(I'm assuming that Sondheim masterpieces such as SWEENEY TODD and FOLLIES are considered more than just purely entertaining.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 08:10:31 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...  Hmm...

I guess it depends upon what you mean by "entertaining", so...  Off the top of my head, the following come to mind...

Pacific Overtures at the Kennedy Center back in 2002.  This was the production from the New National Theatre of Japan that also played NYC for a few weeks earlier that summer.  I was totally engrossed and engaged the whole time.  The story-telling was so clear, that there were times when it was just easier to follow the actors faces than to read the surtitles.  (Although, I do believe being familiar with the piece beforehand also helped.)  I literally left the theatre trembling and out of breath.  Powerful stuff.

The Who's Tommy - Except for the slow stretch in the second act, this was another electric evening in the theatre for me.  -Well, I ended up seeing it three or four times, so...  It's still my favorite staged overture/prologue - the best use of stage fog and trap doors, simple but very effective.  And that's when my crush on Jonathan Dokuchitz started.  ;)

Wicked - The first time I saw this show there were times when I literally found myself on the edge of my seat with a big ole smile across my face.  The woman sitting next to me even asked me at intermission how many times I had seen the show before since I seemed so into it.  I told her it was my first time, and I don't think she believed me.  Steve and I had come up to NYC for a few days of theatre-going, and I had arranged for house seats for all the shows we were seeing that week.  So, great seats, good show (with the original cast, and no understudies on that night), and a great date who was also enjoying the show as much as I was.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 08:11:05 AM »

Thanks for the foot vibes!

And how is your foot today, Fred?  Better I hope.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~FOOT VIBES~~~~~[/move][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 08:11:36 AM »

I spent all morning as I waited for the plumber and as he worked watching more NCIS. I am halfway through the last episode, but I'll have to watch it again since it has a commentary track with the producer of the show. I will be done with the set by the end of the afternoon, and then I can start on MEET THE ROBINSONS or the Blu-ray of THE INVISIBLE. Actually, I'll have to do the latter first since it comes out in stores tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up