Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISES, PROMISES  (Read 22313 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:PROMISES, PROMISES
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2004, 04:38:04 PM »

Thanks for the info DR Charles Pogue.  You know Edward Judd was also very good as the race car driver lover of Susan Hayward in "Stolen Hours" - I am not sure what he had, but he had it.

And I am still amazed at the some of the racy dialog in DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE...  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2004, 04:38:14 PM »

I'm here Tom, but I am actually at work.  I just check in whenever I can.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2004, 05:04:45 PM »

I have absolutely nothing of interest to say, but as I'm here, I'll post. I'm about to have some roast chestnuts.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2004, 05:20:08 PM »

You guys are too much, with all the record and record player info.

But it brings up a question I need answered for something I'm writing:

I grew up with a record player that could play different speeds (rpm).

When was such a feature (choice of different rpm) first offered on commercial record players?

And what about non-commercial record players?  Like one that might be used by broadcasters, but not by the public?

Hoping the answer is before 1950
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2004, 05:20:20 PM »

I have absolutely nothing of interest to say, but as I'm here, I'll post. I'm about to have some roast chestnuts.

Panni -- You may not think you have anything of interest to say, but, personally, I always find yours posts delightful!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2004, 05:30:56 PM »

Ha DR Andrea: I think I might be the only one to get the DRs Jennifer + Ben = your version of Bennifer :)

And DR Joy: Unfortunately that song might be appropriate for more than one DR :)

Michael

« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2004, 05:33:11 PM »

I watched Entertainment Tonight as I thought they would have a item about Ann Miller. They did. All ten seconds of it.
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2004, 05:45:33 PM »

My brother and I would watch Ann Miller movies together and clock how far into the film it was before she ripped off her breakaway skirt and started tapping.  They don't make 'em like her anymore.  Requiescat in pacem.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:48:11 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2004, 05:49:31 PM »

Jennifer and Andrea I got the joke.

Danise

« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2004, 05:51:46 PM »

Good evening all and since no one has said it yet,

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] Happy New Year!   [/move]

We are now in the year of the Green Monkey.  I have never seen a Green Monkey (at least not that I can think of off hand).  And how do I know this?  Well, we had a celebration in Court House Square.  There was Chinese  dancing and free food.  The main reason I was in Court House Square was the food.  If it’s free–it’s for me.  Most of the time.

Sad to say that this time I was skunked.  They mainly served a LOT of that raw fish.  I won’t attempt to spell it.  I know how to say it and it starts with an “S” so I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.   I won’t touch fish willingly.  Ugh.  And raw fish?  Not even  if you PAID me!

Anyway, How many people here on the board know what they are in the Chinese Zodiac?  I’m a dog.  :) (I'm waiting for the comments on that one.) Maybe that’s why I’m a dog person and not a cat person.  Don’t ya just love it when things make sense like that?

Bruce, I have to tell you what happened and you won’t believe it.  I was sitting waiting for the bus when a bumble bee landed smack on my coat. I had just read about the bee in your book the night before and I had to laugh.   I felt very sorry for the little guy because he fell off of my coat and acted like he had hard time flying. Unlike poor Benjamin, I love most all animals and insects.

You know that a bee, unlike a wasp (Talk about a creature with an attitude problem.  Wasps have one with a capital “A”), can only sting you once and with that sting, he/she gives up his life because they die shortly afterwards.

Luckily, I had my gloves in my coat pocket so put one on and  let the poor little bee crawl onto my hand and I put him in a nearby bush.  I hope he was just temporarily stunned from hitting my coat and not dying.

Congrats to Jay!  Break a leg!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:56:34 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2004, 05:53:20 PM »

Panni -- You may not think you have anything of interest to say, but, personally, I always find yours posts delightful!
Well, thank you so much, TCB. And I feel the same way about yours.

Panni

« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2004, 05:57:40 PM »

Did I miss something? What's up, Jay?

Jay

« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2004, 06:01:54 PM »

Luckily, I had my gloves in my coat pocket so put one on and  let the poor little bee crawl onto my hand and I put him in a nearby bush.  I hope he was just temporarily stunned from hitting my coat and not dying.

Was it a sleepin' bee?  'Cause if it was, you know what that means, Dear Reader Danise, yes?

And thank you, though I suspect it is Dear Reader Jason whom you hope breaks a leg.  No one would ever, ever, ever (that is three evers) accuse me of being too small.  At least in one dimension.

Well, two, actually, but I won't go there.   ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2004, 06:02:46 PM »

1952 - Victor brought out a new 3 speed record player that could 78, 45 & 33 rpm discs. In 1927 it was Victor who introduced a record player that could handle 10" and 12" recordings. Busy guy Victor!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2004, 06:06:12 PM »

I'm off to the Pasadena Playhouse, Dear Readers, to see a revival of Talley's Folly.  This production originated in Phoenix (did any of our Phoenician Dear Readers see it?) and received very nice reviews when it opened here last week.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2004, 06:13:27 PM »

Good evening all and since no one has said it yet,

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] Happy New Year!   [/move]

Anyway, How many people here on the board know what they are in the Chinese Zodiac?  

I'm a rat.

Danise you are our, Keith's & mine, kind of person.

Panni

« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2004, 06:21:23 PM »

Casting news, new and old: Nicole Kidman will play Ulla in the film version of THE PRODUCERS.
And... Kim Novak says that she was offered (the original) BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S and turned it down. That role is so undeniably Audrey Hepburn's that I'm trying, without much success, to imagine Novak in it. It would certainly have been a very different film.

Jed

« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2004, 06:40:25 PM »

Just had a yummy bit of baked fish (can't even remember what it was... some chunk of white fish that was on sale).  Scary how often this site affects my eating.

Sorry to hear about Ann Miller.  Just so happens that I watched On the Town just the other night.

Fascinating reading about all the record speeds of days gone by.  I had never heard of 16rpm until this conversation today!

Had the car towed in and repaired today.  Turns out it was merely a blown fuse.  Since that was cheaper than what I'd expected to be wrong with it, I had them also fix a very leaky valve gasket that needed to be taken care of soon anyway.  Didn't want to deprive myself of being as financially strapped as I'd expected, ya know. :)

And now that I have my car back, I should hie myself to Fred Meyer tomorrow and pick up an Ove Glove!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2004, 06:42:40 PM »

I'm a Monkey!  And since this is also A Wooden Green Monkey year, it's supposed to be very productive and profitable... If I work at clearing away all the clutter, and focus on my goals...  But I guess any year would be productive and profitable if I did that.. Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2004, 06:50:44 PM »

How do ink cartridges exactly when it is the most inconvenient time for the to be replaced? A 50 minute roundtrip drive is about to happen. The joy of rural living.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2004, 06:53:01 PM »

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(   Ann Miller.
I'm going to go and watch SMALL TOWN GIRL and LOVELY TO LOOK AT. . .not her best moments to be sure, but nevertheless she's amazing!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2004, 06:53:09 PM »

Opps, did I get the wrong name again?  I don't know why I do that!  I'm very sorry to both Jay and Jason!  JASON, Break a leg.  Jay, please don't let me curse you into breaking anything you don't want broke!

Sorry but I don't know about the sleeping bee.  What does it mean?  What's the buzz?  :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 06:53:39 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2004, 07:14:45 PM »

Well, thank you so much, TCB. And I feel the same way about yours.

Thank you.

Damn! We're civilized.
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2004, 07:22:27 PM »

Damn! We're civilized.

You said it, buster!

Andrea

« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2004, 07:44:42 PM »

Just had a yummy bit of baked fish (can't even remember what it was... some chunk of white fish that was on sale).  Scary how often this site affects my eating.

Ditto-- I had trout cooked in lemon and garlic butter. Garlic butter just happens to be the best invention in the world. Such a useful thing...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2004, 07:55:37 PM »

DR MBarnum, I am sure you know this, but ON THE TOWN is one of the great MGM musicals that IS available on DVD. And the transfer looks very, very nice. I recently upgraded from the laserdisc, and I wasn't disappointed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2004, 08:00:15 PM »

DR MBarnum, I am sure you know this, but ON THE TOWN is one of the great MGM musicals that IS available on DVD. And the transfer looks very, very nice. I recently upgraded from the laserdisc, and I wasn't disappointed.

Are there any interesting extras on the DVD?
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2004, 08:01:42 PM »

I never saw TALLEY'S FOLLY in NYC, but the community theater here did a smashing job with it five or six years ago. It's a lovely play.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2004, 08:05:21 PM »

Are there any interesting extras on the DVD?

Just the trailer. On the laserdisc, they included the James Fitzpatrick short on New York City, but that short was included on another DVD (I can't remember which one right off the top of my head; obviously one set in NYC), so they didn't repeat it here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2004, 08:05:53 PM »

We haz slowed down to a crawl.  Am watching Le Divorce - half-way in and will have more to say when I'm done.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up