Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISES, PROMISES  (Read 22143 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PROMISES, PROMISES
« on: January 22, 2004, 12:03:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes and you know all that was within them, therefore you may feel comfortable to post until the cows come home and then some. ;D 8) ::) :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 12:03:02 AM by bk »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:PROMISES, PROMISES
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 12:15:57 AM »

bk - I can't wait until that particular book is mine to read.  The ending of the last one has me on tenterhooks.  

Fish recipies...I love fish, but I can't think of real recipies.  Lemon pepper fish was always a favorite growing up, but I don't know the actual recipe.  My favorite fish dish that I make is as follows
Take a salmon fillet
Toss it on the George Foreman grill
Toss on some Johnny's seafood seasoning on both sides
Grill untll flaky
Toss on a plate
Consume.
I call it Tossed Salmon :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:17:09 AM by Ann »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 12:16:50 AM »

Okay, this is my favorite fish recipe:  go to McDonald's, order one "Filet O' Fish with slivered onions added and an extra large drink," pay for Filet O' Fish and extra large drink, take Filet O' Fish and extra large cup to cola dispenser, fill extra large cup with Diet Coke, take food-and-drink-stuffs to table, sit, eat Filet O' Fish and drink Diet Coke at leisure.  When leaving, refill extra large cup with more Diet Coke. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 12:29:11 AM »

I love fish but I rarely make it at home because the smell
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]lingers[/move]

Thus my favorite fish recipe involves going to a good restaurant and ordering a delectable fish dish.

On that fishy note, good-night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 12:42:54 AM »

I am not really a fan of fish. I know it is supposed to be good for me so I do eat a fish meal each week. My favourite is Atlantic salmon just simply grilled or baked and served with lemon. I avoid shellfish whenever possible  but have been known to enjoy a seafood chowder or lobster bisque at my favourite restaurant - I am more likely to order them if the alternatives are mushroom or asparagus soup.
One of my least favourite smells is fish - I don't know how people could work in a fish market but I guess they get used to it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 12:44:46 AM »

That of course was my morning post as I am not awake when you are posting pre lunch.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 02:44:26 AM »

Gorton's lemon pepper fish filets. Cook 'em up and eat 'em!  With fries!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 04:24:03 AM »

I like fish. They're fun pets because you don't have to do anything with them, and they're perfectly happy. There is one thing I DON'T like about fish: Eating them. YUCK! It takes a lot to make me eat seafood, namely an expensive restaurant and a bribe. I know that when my mom makes fish for the REST of the family, she makes this breading type thing out of crushed Ritz crackers. I couldn't tell you if it tastes good or not.

Today is going to be a very, very good day. I can feel it.

Good Morning, everyone!

...Remember the days when we used to compete for the first post, and Emily would always end up in second, dancing the Second Post Dance? Just a weird memory.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 04:53:05 AM »

I was going to post a London shot but the uploader is full and I need to contact the Administrator so I won't be giving you a shot of London this morning. Oh, well. I hope it's not me and my vacation shots that have filled the uploader!!!

I am here by myself this morning in January.

George, you have a McDonald's that lets you fill up your own drink cup??? Like at Subway??? These McDonalds have not hit NYC yet, or they are places I don't see.

I love fish but as Panni said, I rarely make it at home. We cook in the apartment, but we have a very small kitchen and it can be difficult making some foodstuffs. Also, the smell can be a problem. So, like Panni, I also order fish when I go out to eat.

And that is my morning post.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 04:54:03 AM »

Ah, I am wrong, Miss Swishy is here to keep me company, but I will be leaving momentarily to return to the dreaded "work".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 05:04:43 AM »

Hey, John Kerry, why the long face?  Vicki Lester says "Lose that long face!"  ;D

I tried a test picture as well and got the same error message.   :P  How strange, I thought the internet was unlimited!  How can there be too many pictures on the internet?  How can this be, especially since most of our pictures are linked from our own computers and not servers here?  I don't know, but then I am ignored [by the tech wizard] on the Tech Board....

Hmmmmmm....maybe someday we will know what it all means.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:28:11 AM by JRand53 »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 05:23:42 AM »

This is hardly a recipe, but I like plain fish. Timing is crucial. A few years I purchased a filet of Atlantic salmon "to feed three." The woman at the counter told me drizzle the fish with a bit of olive oil and then to bake it at 375 degrees for 22 minutes - not more, not less. It came out perfectly. So if there are three for dinner, that's what I often serve (along with basmati rice and a fresh mango salsa). I also like lake perch, lightly floured and salted, then fried in butter/oil (2 minutes each side) and served with a caper, lemon and butter sauce. I like fish and chips, but am fussy about what it's fried in. Everyone says that beef tallow is best, but I can't handle that. Finally (Emily STOP READING NOW) I have an excellent recipe for gefilte fish. Some Passovers ago it was printed in the NY Times, and comes from former Manhattan borough president and one-time mayoral candidate Ruth Messinger. I suspect demand is minimal, but I'd be happy to e-mail the recipe to any takers. (How about an unseemly gefilte fish contest: predict how many requests I'm going to get.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 05:48:27 AM »

Yes, like DinTO - if fish is being prepared at my house, it is baked rather than fried or grilled.

I have a question for the DR's here at HHW.  I have looked here and there on the WWW and can't really find an article or site that answers my question.

Was the changeover from 78 rpm records to LP records a gradual thing, or were the LP's immediately embraced by the public?  And when did 45's and 45 EP's begin to be manufactured?  I don't think I ever bought a 78 RPM record - a few now as collectibles - but I always had the 45 rpm or 33 1/3 album!  Is there a website that discusses this changeover?  Was there resistance to the LP?  

I know we recently went through the LP to CD (to a lesser extent LP to cassette) and it seemed to be sudden....or at least occurred over a short period of time....was the previous revolution similar?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 06:05:11 AM »

Where are DR's Jose and Jason?

Jason - check your MTI mailbox - you should have something there today!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 06:08:22 AM »

Love fish.  Would eat it all the time if it weren't so expensive.  On the honeymoon, we sampled some of Savannah's best fish dishes, and sushi is a regular part of our lives.

But you asked for a recipe.  I may have given this before.

Melt butter in a skillet.  Maybe a spot of olive oil.  Throw in as many bay scallops as will fit (these are the small kind of scallops; you can easily fit two on a fork).  Sprinkle on tarragon flakes.  Turn when brown.  Pour the whole thing over angel hair.  Voila.

(I, for one, love pronouncing "voila" as it's written, as if I don't know it's french.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 06:19:53 AM »

Hi all.  Okay question, BK in the notes you said you bought the movie "divorce". Do you mean "le divorce" (with Kate Hudson). If so I"m curious to hear how you like it.

As for promises, I completely agree. It is one of the most important things to keep one's promise.  And I totally hate it when others don't take it as seriously.

As for fish, I have not made this in a long time, but it is actually quite good. Did you guys know that you can poach salmon (usually i use just regular frozen pieces) in the microwave?

If you put it on a plate, and defrost the salmon (if it's frozen). Then cover it with lettuce. I think you cook it for either 5 minutes a side (or something like that - try it for half that time first).

But it comes out totally poached and really good. Surprisingly good.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 06:21:47 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 06:25:53 AM »

Hey Bruce, re: the promise you mention in your notes (and in last night's posts), I would just gently remind the person what they promised. And maybe if they can't do it, then they will have an explanation as to why.  But if they don't want to do it, then you should just find someone who does want to do it.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 06:34:10 AM »

Open a can of tunafish.  Add a little mayo.  Spread on bread (any flavor) and eat.

Jrand --- The 45 and the 33 were introduced at about the same time (early 50s) as rival formats (similar to the VHS vs. Beta thirty years later).  RCA was backing the 45 while Columbia favored the 33.  Ultimately neither format "won", but they did manage to make the 78 obsolete in less than ten years.

78s could only hold about four minutes per side and were very easily breakable.  For a complete opera you needed 20 or more records.  Cast albums usually had 6 to 8 records.  It is no wonder that the newer formats became popular so fast.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 06:36:38 AM »

DR Jennifer - I think Mr BK said he bought
Divorce: American Style - a movie with Miss Debbie Reynolds.

Yes, broken promises - I was NOT going to say anything, because it is such a volatile subject....well...it is sad.  I hope it works out.  Doesn't sound "promising" but perhaps said party will surprise you, MR BK.

And I have found that sometimes asking someone "Do you promise?" is just the reason they have for not keeping said promise....so I never ask that anymore.  I accept that they will....even though sometimes they don't, and it is beyond disappointing when that happens.

And that is when the Saul Bass title sequence from Bonjour Tristesse is so appropriate.   :'(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 06:39:08 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 06:41:04 AM »

Thanks DRWEL - I hadn't realized that 45's and LP's were in a competition!  How interesting!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 06:42:27 AM »

Jennifer---
BK said he bought DIVORCE, AMERICAN STYLE.  This is  a comedy from the early 60s written by Norman Lear, directed by Bud Yorkin and starring Debbie Reynolds, Dick Van Dyke, Jason Robards, Jean Simmons, Van Johnson and several other popular comics of the day.  Kate Hudson wasn't even born yet when the film came out.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2004, 06:47:30 AM »

Jrand---
They were in competition because each was backed by one of the two major labels of the day and each sold  phonographs that played only their speed.  I don't think either of them thought that other companies would make phonographs that played all 3 speeds, though that came in handy when Betty and Adolph created the form of taking bets at Susanswerphone (it's a simple little system).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 06:56:49 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhhh----sort of like what would happen with CBS and NBC and their different color television systems.  So RCA made the 45 rpm phono and Columbia made the LP phonograph....of course Sears would make one that played BOTH speeds....as would Emerson and Audiotronics...LOL!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2004, 06:57:19 AM »

Benjamin Kritzer is on his way to Puerto Rico with DR the Evil Kurt!

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2004, 07:18:57 AM »

I love fish...especially salmon and trout! But as I am not much of a cook I just throw it on the George Foreman grill and it is done! I don't even add any spices or anything to it most of the time.

Maybe the better cooks on HHW should make The Official HHW Cookbook! I would buy it...but I then would want those DRs to come to my house and cook the items for me! LOL!

I always feel that food tastes better when someone else does the cooking! LOL!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 07:30:09 AM »

DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE was not early 60s, WEL. It was 1967. You're right about the other particulars.

No fish recipes from me. I've never cooked it (other than maybe warming frozen fish sticks in the oven), and will eat it if we're at a seafood place and choices are limited (I prefer shrimp, scallops, and clams.)

I don't think we talked AMERICAN IDOL last night, but the worst yet? I think so. Seeing the few that got passes to Hollywood last night made me angrier than the female soldier on the first night got passed over. She had much more talent and charisma than any of the folks last night. Ah, the luck of the draw. Sometimes you DO have to be in the right place at the right time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2004, 07:33:03 AM »

I was a BIG fan of THE FRONT when it first came out. I think it placed second on my list of ten best films of its year, if I remember correctly. I will look forward to adding this to my collection.

Ben

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2004, 07:37:39 AM »

MBarnum, you sound like my Anthony. His quote is "If I don't have to cook it or clean up, it's Gourmet!"

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2004, 07:37:46 AM »

As I mentioned the other day when we were talking LPs, our record player (not a stereo, mind you) could play 16s, 33 1/3s, 45s, and 78s.

I didn't know they were competing formats (45s and 33s), however. Why did RCA issue LPs and Columbia 45s? Or did RCA start issuing LPs much later than Columbia? And when did Decca, which was among the biggest of the labels) start issuing LPs? What we need is a brief history of the LP and its acceptance in the common culture.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 07:47:08 AM »

Exactly DRMATTH - I have looked on the internet and found bits and pieces of the story...and WEL provided an interesting chapter....  Hmmmmmmmm.....switch your companies...I think it was RCA that did the 45's and Columbia the LP's....  And I remember a few phonos that only played 45's...tiny portable ones where you could stack ten or so ....  hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up