Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: LITTLE KNOWN FACTS  (Read 76412 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LITTLE KNOWN FACTS
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:34:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were not little but had facts, and now it is time for you to post until the little known cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:21:14 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LITTLE KNOWN FACTS
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUGLEMAN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:35:29 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:35:39 AM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:54:52 AM »

TOTD:

Al Bowlly
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:06:01 AM »

Bing!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:28:41 AM »

TOD

Ruth Etting  - Ten Cents a Dance
Bessie Smith -  Down Hearted Blues
Duke Ellington -  Satin Doll
Gertrude Lawrence - Somomne Yo Watch Over Me

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 02:02:30 AM »

Well...last night's Sweeney Todd at Capital Playhouse here in Olympia, was very, very, very (that's three verys) good!!  This was not George Hearn's Sweeney.  Jarrod Emick's Sweeney was very intense and very dark.  He also used an accent but sadly, not consistently.  It was sort of a Cockney accent and not just a generic British accent.  Mrs. Lovett was also very good.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 02:03:30 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:03:07 AM »

The look of the production itself was very spare.  Click HERE for pictures from their website (although there are none of Jarrod).  They had the insane assylum concept from the Broadway revival and only 11 actors, but other than when Anthony, Johanna and the Beggar Woman became part of the chorus, it was very easy to tell what was going on.  They did use a separate orchestra.  No one played their own instruments.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »

As far as I could tell, they pretty much did the complete show.  They didn't add the new(ish) lullaby for the Beggar Woman but they did both the shaving and tooth pulling parts of "The Contest" with Pirelli, as well as Judge Turpin's self-flagellating version of "Johanna."  The guy playing Judge Turpin was much too young.  He looked like he was in his 20s...and seemed like he only had the experience of someone in his 20s. ::) He certainly overacted his little heart out, though.

George

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:06:02 AM »

After the show, I stayed and spoke with Jeff Kingsbury (the director of ST:TDBOFS and managing director of Capital Playhouse) and waited for Jarrod.  I think that there was only one other person who waited to see him after the show.  He chatted with me for several minutes. :) He's a little taller than me...not as tall as he seems on stage.  He's very skinny and quite attractive in a rugged sort of way and a VERY nice man. :D

George

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 02:06:37 AM »

AND he signed my Damn Yankees CD!!

Overall, it was a great night. ;D

George

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 02:18:13 AM »

And now, to bed.  Good night, DearReaderLaura and anyone else!  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 03:02:40 AM »

Good night, George.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 03:49:50 AM »

Re 30's singers, I think the one who has 'aged' the least is Miss Ethel Waters.Two of my favorite tracks are I.Berlin's Heat Wave, and 'Love Turned the light out' from Cabin in Sky; Oddly enough, her hit from As Thousands cheer, Suppertime, the song about lynching, wasn't recorded til about a decade later the the show's opening.Perhaps it was too controversial. There's also a Dietz Schwartz pair of songs, the non p.c. Hottentoteand  Potentate("I gave 'em that Hotcha/That je ne sais quois-cha")Thief in the night has a matchless comedy monolg; I found these songs on an old Columbia records album(re-issued on CD) called Ethel Water on Stage and Screen; An a paris label re-issueed EVERYTHING she ever records on an 8 or 9 CD set.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 04:49:54 AM »

Ah, computers! I can't do much this morning because we've run out of space on our hard drive and until IT gets in to increase the space available nothing can be done!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 04:56:11 AM »

More cowbell!!!

I mean - more Hard Drive!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 04:57:28 AM »

Thanks for the ST report, DR GEORGE and the link.

I liked the pictures - but I think the hair design person for that show must be one twisted individual.  Everybody is very unique - to use a word - but Mrs. Lovett has Barbra Streisand's Funny Girl hair.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 04:58:09 AM »

TOD:

Another vote for Bing.

Deanna Durbin

Judy Garland's 30's recordings are still enjoyable.

Fred Astaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 05:01:26 AM »

Good morning, all!  Off to Toyland this morning and then possibly the NYPL, depending on how the events go down at the office.  Thanks to DRGinny, I now have a hometown phone directory, so I can make some Ohio phone calls, not for a hit man for the Macbeths though I am tempted, but to check on moving rates, etc.

TOD:
  Ruth Etting
  Helen Morgan
  Libby Holman
  Fred Astaire

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 05:06:40 AM »

Shocking news about the agent and performer.  Sounds as if someone thinks he/she is a bigger star than they are.  

Causing grief for someone who works in the industry and OFFERS work in the industry is always a bad idea IMO.

singdaw

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 05:07:31 AM »

Use the force, young padawan!

Ben

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 05:09:14 AM »

I saw Hairspray last night. I won tickets at the Broadway Cares Flea Market. They were very good seats, Row P in the orchestra on the aisle. I saw the original cast but Anthony has never seen the show. He enjoyed it a lot but I was disappointed. I still think it's a good show but it's been running for 5 years and it's showing age. First of all, the show is

TOO LOUD

At times it's painful and jarring. Just because it's so loud though, that doesn't mean I could understand the actors as they sang. Many, many lyrics were lost in the jumble of begin over-miced and bad diction and sloppy performances.

When the show is paced well it doesn't seem too long but Act 1 is almost 90 minutes and last night there were times I was looking at my watch. The pacing seems off and the jokes aren't landing very well, especially the jokes between Edna and Wilbur. The most disappointing thing about the show right now is the lack of chemistry between Paul Vogt (Edna) and Jim J. Bullock (Wilbur). I have the original cast to remember (with great fondness) and anyone would be hard pressed to live up to that but these two just don't have a spark. When Harvey was on stage I never thought fora moment that he was anyone but Edna. It was great. I saw Paul Vogt and saw a man playing a woman in a fat suit. Yes, he can sing better than Harvey but something is missing. I was especially disturbed at the "break-up" in You're Timeless to Me, the great soft shoe duet in the second act. It's a funny number but it's also supposed to be sweet and charming and loving. You see how much Wilbur really, truly loves Edna. Well, not last night. Bullock spent half the number breaking up and laughing and I'm not sure what happened to cause it, unless, as Anthony surmised, that it's a "staged" break up. It might have happened once and they decided to keep it. The audience eats it up and gives a huge hand at the end but it left a bad taste in my mouth. That's not what the number is about. It takes me out of the show and takes away any good feeling I have for the characters. It just makes me realize how lucky I was to see the original cast.

Lance Bass is in the show. He plays Corny Collins. I'm sure he's a very nice person and I bet he loves his mother very much. Sorry, I'm not usually so snarky but I couldn't help it.

Michelle Pawk was very good as Velma and Sharon Foster did a nice job playing all the Jackie Hoffman roles.

The show, IMHO, is a shadow of its former self. It seems to be doing very well, probably helped along by the movie but I don't know if I would recommend it anymore.

That being said, before I saw the show I sent a review off to Beverley at the BBC (it hasn't played yet) because Hairspray has begun performances in the West End with Michael Ball as Edna and based on my original recollections I recommended the show saying I hope it plays as well as it did when I saw it in 2002. So, my legion of fans, if that segment is ever played (I have no control over when Dear Beverley plays my segments) keep in mind that I hadn't seen the show since my original viewing 5 years ago. I didn't know I would be seeing the show again before I sent off the segment recommending it.

It is now 8:07am and the database is still wonky.

singdaw

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 05:09:23 AM »

Forwarding any private e-mail exchange is just about always a very bad idea.

Just keep remembering:  How Will It Look On YouTube?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:09:59 AM by singdaw »

Ben

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 05:12:20 AM »

As mentioned yesterday, Anthony saw Jose at auditions for Encore's upcoming season. Jose played the piano and Anthony played the Uke. A good time was had by all.

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 05:13:37 AM »

Thanks, DRs George & Ben, for the interesting theatre reports!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 05:14:12 AM »

After the show, I stayed and spoke with Jeff Kingsbury (the director of ST:TDBOFS and managing director of Capital Playhouse) and waited for Jarrod.  I think that there was only one other person who waited to see him after the show.  He chatted with me for several minutes. :) He's a little taller than me...not as tall as he seems on stage.  He's very skinny and quite attractive in a rugged sort of way and a VERY nice man. :D

George, did you bring a program home?  If so, who played Pirelli?  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 05:14:46 AM »

And now I will leave you to write an e-mail to a colleague about the difference between grants for management assistance versus grants for technical aid/technical assistance (a somewhat loaded jargon term that, IMHO, borders on meaninglessness - is that a word?).

singdaw

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 05:15:30 AM »

Jose played the piano and Anthony played the Uke. A good time was had by all.

Did they play a transcription of Dueling Banjos?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 05:27:08 AM »

George, who is standing in for Jarod in the photos?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up