Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: DEAD RODENT  (Read 65731 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:DEAD RODENT
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2007, 09:32:20 AM »

I ordered The Jazz Singer three disc special edition.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2007, 09:37:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: AMARANTH!
Tequila Lime Marinated Prawns and Black Bean Annato Amaranth with Sweet Red Pepper Oil and Roasted Poblano Cream

Recipe courtesy Chef Mike Dimas, Inn at Loretto
Show:  Follow That Food
Episode:  Follow That Prawn  

Tequila Lime Marinated Shrimp:
1 cup canola oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic
1 bunch cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
1 jalapeno, stemmed
1/4 cup tequila
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 prawns, with heads removed and reserved (see Cook's Note)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup tequila

Sweet Red Pepper oil:
4 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and diced
1 lime, juiced
1 cup olive oil
Kosher salt

Black Bean - Annatto Amaranth:
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon annatto paste
1 cup amaranth *
1 cup black beans, cooked al dente
1/4 cup butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Roasted Poblano Cream:
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Reserved shrimp shells
1/4 cup tequila
1 quart heavy cream
1/2 bunch cilantro
4 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

*Amaranth is a plant with edible leaves and seeds. This recipe calls for amaranth seeds, a cereal that is available in health food stores.

To marinate the shrimp: Combine the oil, garlic, cilantro, lime, jalapeno, and tequila in a blender or food processor and blend on high speed until thoroughly mixed. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.

Peel the prawns, leaving the tails on. Reserve the shells to make the Poblano cream (recipe below). Extract the 'veins' then lace the prawns onto 3 bamboo skewers (4 per skewer). Pour the reserved marinade into a shallow dish (or plastic bag). Add the shrimp and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning the shrimp once or twice.

To make the red pepper oil: Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the peppers and cook until they are tender, about 12 minutes. Drain the peppers and put them in a blender or food processor. Puree the peppers at high speed then transfer to a medium skillet. Cook the puree over medium-high heat until it has reduced to a thick paste. Press the paste though a fine sieve, then return it to the blender or processor. Add the lime juice, then gradually incorporate the olive oil. Season the puree with salt and reserve.

To make the black bean-annatto amaranth: Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Stir in the annatto paste and the amaranth. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and the amaranth is tender, about 20 minutes. Fold in the black beans and butter, then season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Keep warm over low heat or in a low oven.

To make the roasted Poblano cream: Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the garlic and reserved shrimp shells. Cook, stirring, until aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully add the tequila (if the pan is very hot it may flare up). Simmer for about 5 minutes then add the heavy cream and cilantro. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by half. Meanwhile, puree the Poblano peppers in a blender or food processor. Add the puree to the reduced cream mixture then simmer gently until the flavors blend. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Keep warm over very low heat.

To cook the prawns: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the skewered prawns in the pan and cook until almost done, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the tequila. Return the pan to the heat and cook for about 3 minutes more, then season with salt and pepper.

Spoon poblano cream into 3 shallow bowls. Mound amaranth over the cream (use a ring mold for a neater presentation). Take the shrimp from the skewers and arrange 4 on each portion. Drizzle pepper oil over each bowl and serve.

Cook's Note: The reserved shrimp heads can be oven roasted or deep-fried and used as a garnish.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »

Here's some silent 8mm footage taken during the location filming of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS with Dana Wynter and Kevin McCarthy...interesting stuff...if you're interested.  I hadn't seen it before.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZWBbbN6yY

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2007, 09:42:33 AM »

Shrimp head garnish?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2007, 09:56:22 AM »

For some mysterious reason, the MAD MEN finale on Comcast was not available last night in HD but it was available in Standard...

Wild episode with some interesting stuff....I think it is the season finale...and I look forward to its return....scuttlebutt is that it takes up in 1962....or two years hence.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »

I think there have been 7 TORCHWOODs which have aired (I could be wrong about that number). Weren't there 13 in the first season? Again, someone with the first season Region 2 DVD set can answer better than I.
Or someone with access to the spoiler-ridden Doctor Who Reference Guide, like myself.

Torchwood does, indeed, have thirteen episodes per series, same as the current Doctor Who.  "Greeks Bearing Gifts" was the seventh story.

There have also been three novels about Captain Jack and his cohorts, written and published in Great Britain, which take place during this season.  Exactly how "canonical" these are is up for debate, the same as the novels about the Doctor himself.

Isn't the Whoniverse wonderful??!!

(Now, if only we could get the Sarah Jane Adventures broadcast on this side of the pond...)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »

No pointy hats? No ham and cheese chunks?

Fine, I shall go into the garden and eat worms... :(

Oh.

Happy birthday.

(makes noise that tries to sound like a party noisemaker, one of those things that you blow into and it blows out and has a feather on the end, but it embarrasingly comes off more like a Bronx cheer.  Sorry about that, won't try it again.   :-[)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:06:04 AM by S. Woody White »

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »

Here's some silent 8mm footage taken during the location filming of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS with Dana Wynter and Kevin McCarthy...interesting stuff...if you're interested.  I hadn't seen it before.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZWBbbN6yY

Oh, man that is cool! Makes me want to watch that movie again..perhaps on Halloween I will. Loved seeing all the pods in color!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2007, 10:15:09 AM »

Don't have a car....can't get donuts....or a Sunday paper....I am trapped at home....

Walking?  What's that?

DANCE, my dear, dance!

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »

A very happy birthday to DR 3DDiffusion!

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2007, 10:16:57 AM »

Well, the rains that have been coming down all week have finally stopped...so now I have no excuses to not clean up all the leaves and debris in my yards, front and back.  :(

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2007, 10:19:17 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR 3D DIFFUSION!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2007, 10:20:08 AM »

FEEL-BETTER VIBES TO DR ELMORE! Hope you're feeling chipper soon!

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »

Gotta disconnect for a while.  I'm rearranging my room to accommodate the TV I inherited from Harriet and the computer has to be moved.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »

I got an e-mail this morning (sent here) that the haineshisway.com domain name is expiring in six days.  I clicked on the link to pay (this is the FIRST notice I've gotten), but it has some customer number that I don't know, and the password doesn't work.  I called them, but this was all set up by Mr. Mark Bakalor - I thought we'd transfered this into my name and account ages ago.  Of course, one can never get hold of Mr. Bakalor and his phone number has changed so I've IMd him and e-mailed him - I will not be a happy camper if he doesn't respond.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2007, 10:57:01 AM »

Domain names.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2007, 10:57:47 AM »

Yes DRMBARNUM...I thought the color on those clips had faded until a woman walked by wearing a BRIGHT RED jacket.

Must have been an overcast day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2007, 11:15:47 AM »

Dang, I've totally lost track of the time.

Must dash to work!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »

Darn!

I meant to post that Dirk Bogarde's A TALE OF TWO CITIES was on TCM this morning.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2007, 11:27:32 AM »

We don't seem to have mice out here (except for that one woman's house that we cleaned as a service project), so I guess that's a good thing about the desert.

Of course you don't have mice, Laura; the tarantulas and gila monsters eat them all.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »

Looking forward to the gay couple joining the fun on Wisteria Lane tonight, and, as always, BROTHERS & SISTERS is a must-see for me.

I'll give VIVA LAUGHLIN one more chance, and COLD CASE should also be on at the right time since the CBS football game is in the early afternoon this week. DEXTER is also on my line-up to watch.

I had heard that the gay couple was starting today, but all you see in the ads is that everyone on Wisteria Lane gets crabs.  Yuck!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »

domain name vibes for us all

3DDiffusion

« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2007, 11:56:28 AM »

A very happy birthday to DR 3DDiffusion!

Thanks, DR MBarnum!
Much chocolate has been consumed, and I'm about to start watching Jason King, a British tv series from the 70s that I bought as a present to myself...watching Peter Wyngarde for about four hours will be a nice way to spend the day...  :) ..... even if  he's on the wrong team... ;D
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

3DDiffusion

« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »

I got an e-mail this morning (sent here) that the haineshisway.com domain name is expiring in six days.  I clicked on the link to pay (this is the FIRST notice I've gotten), but it has some customer number that I don't know, and the password doesn't work.  I called them, but this was all set up by Mr. Mark Bakalor - I thought we'd transfered this into my name and account ages ago.  Of course, one can never get hold of Mr. Bakalor and his phone number has changed so I've IMd him and e-mailed him - I will not be a happy camper if he doesn't respond.

Usually this is set up through direct pay... they send you poorly worded messages that make you think you actually have to do something,when in reality they just take it out of your bank account on the day.

At least, that's the way IPower does it...
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »

We don't seem to have mice out here (except for that one woman's house that we cleaned as a service project), so I guess that's a good thing about the desert.

You can thank your local snakes and bats for a mouse free environment - but you do have rodents:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2007, 12:15:16 PM »

When you launder your socks, do you wash them out outside-out, or inside-out?

Another burning issue of the day - a moral quandary!

I wonder if this will be addressed in today's Republican Presidential debate?

der Brucer

But - if you wash them inside out, do you make sure you put them in the hamper that way? (Or on laundry day do you fuss around under the bed looking for matching socks.)

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »

Computer move went smoothly and I've been to Panera for a nice lunch with DH Richard.

Rearranging continues...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2007, 12:33:28 PM »

Thanks, DR MBarnum!
Much chocolate has been consumed, and I'm about to start watching Jason King, a British tv series from the 70s that I bought as a present to myself...watching Peter Wyngarde for about four hours will be a nice way to spend the day...  :) ..... even if  he's on the wrong team... ;D

The things you learn on HHW.  I had never heard of Peter Wyngarde until 3D menitoned him.  After searching the internet, I found that we share a birthday (day not year) and that he supposedly had a ten year affair with Alan Bates.  Amazing.

Oh yes,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, 3DDIFFUSION
[/color] [/b]
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2007, 12:34:38 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 3D DIFFUSION!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DERBRUCER

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »

Shrimp head garnish?

So the meal can look back at you :(

der Brucer

But you gotta love a recipe that has equal parts butter and tequila - and a whole quart of heavy cream :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up