Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NATURE OF THE BEAST  (Read 30339 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE NATURE OF THE BEAST
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »

And, for a limited time, the makers of 7-Up have a Pommegranate flavor on the shelves.  'Tain't bad.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2007, 07:41:29 AM »

A tip of the hat for all veterans. We owe them all so much. I never told my dad how much I appreciated his efforts in World War II (he was injured in the Philippines
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2007, 08:09:18 AM »

TOD - I  haven't seen SICKO, but I have heard candidate after candidate and commercial after commercial talk about it.  I don't believe the candidates who are accepting money from insurance and drug companies...like the so called democratic front runner will make any real attempt to solve the problem.  

I live right near the South Dakota border. Since SD has no income tax, a number of the doctors here have set up practices across the river in SD and have a private clinic/surgery center there.  The biggest problem with that is if you have complications during surgery, they have to get an ambulance and take you to the hospital. So the doctors get to keep more $$ but the risk to the patient is greater. I really don't feel sorry for doctors who compromise the ability to respond to an emergency during surgery so they can aviod taxes and make more money.  I think doctors and hospitals share in the blame of what is wrong.    

That being said, I primarily blame the insurance companies.   I think the insurance companies should not be able to tell doctors what tests they can and can't perform and if they got rid of all the administrative bs that has to be done you could cut a lot of costs.  

I think we need to stop being reactive in health care and adjust the focus to preventive care. If they covered all preventive care, physicals, immunizations, all suggested screening tests...cancer and other conditions could be discovered in earlier stages, thus saving more lives and reducing the expense of treating these conditions when they do occur.   Perhaps that's what the government should cover and leave the insurance companies to handle accidental and catastrophic loss.  Not sure, I haven't really thought that part through

Cillaliz

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2007, 08:14:29 AM »

I am waiting for the plumber who is supposed to be here at 10:00 AM - now if we could solve the problem of people not showing up when they say they will be there..  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2007, 08:19:11 AM »

Going to lunch with best friend John today (he's having to work), so I'm heading down now to get cleaned up for our outing.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »

With Hannukah beginning the evening of December 4, the gift-buying season for many of us in New York who celebrate both holidays is under way and in full swing.  I would imagine this has an impact on the merchandising being so early this year.  

Or maybe it's just that i saw the Radio City show early this year, so I'm already in the holiday spirit.  :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2007, 08:23:07 AM »

Think I'll call the plumbing company to be sure they are still planning to come today. I heard this company is often late, but they did the work here before I bought the house and I'm not sold on either plumber I've used, so I figured I may as well try them.

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2007, 08:30:28 AM »

I have no holiday spirit. I am now the single Great Aunt who is there primarily to watch everyone else open lots of packages and smile and pretend it doesn't bother me.  Truth is I hate the holidays and really don't even want to be there.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2007, 08:50:37 AM »

At least DR JMK didn't say: Another day older and deeper in debt, when he was given the opportunity.

OK, now I'm really confused.  What???  ??? ??? ???
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2007, 08:52:46 AM »

A tip of the hat for all veterans. We owe them all so much. I never told my dad how much I appreciated his efforts in World War II (he was injured in the Philippines

We had the coolest multimedia display yesterday at my church gig--I got pretty emotional.  We had asked for vintage pictures of all our vets, and then one of our media gurus did a really superb slideshow where the vintage pics morphed into their current likenesses, all to some Norah Jones tune (something about America, sorry can't recall right now).  I tried to talk to as many of the old guys yesterday as I could to thank them--it's a way for me to honor my late father, too.  Thankfully, I repeatedly told him how much his service meant to me, though, like a lot of WWII vets, he was pretty shut down about it all, and just tended to shrug when it was mentioned.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »

BTW, for all of you were wondering (and you know who you are), the actress on CI last week used to be on Party of Five, so some nice internet person told me.  That still leaves me with the haunting question of where I've seen her before, since I never, ever watched Party of Five.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2007, 08:54:08 AM »

I have no holiday spirit. I am now the single Great Aunt who is there primarily to watch everyone else open lots of packages and smile and pretend it doesn't bother me.  Truth is I hate the holidays and really don't even want to be there.
So, who would you rather be with?

And why won't you be there, instead?

You owe it to yourself, Cilla.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2007, 08:57:32 AM »

Time to get ready for work.

Der Brucer, figuring he's going to pick me up (as it will be dark when I get off), has already asked me to pick up eggs and milk.

Tonight sounds like a good night for leftovers.  Or breakfast.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »

Hello, everyone.

TOD:
I haven't seen SICKO and therefore have no comment on the film.

Regarding health care in the US, you really don't want to get me started on this subject! To be brief, I will say:
--Like many others, I do not like the way the government administers most programs, so government-administered health care is, IMO, far from ideal.
--I have not been following the political scene closely lately, but in general I feel that most politicans are looking for a position that will sell, rather than really having a comprehensive understanding of the problems. Everyone knows there are problems.
--I do feel that much of the fault lies with insurance companies. Even when you have a claim for something that is CLEARLY COVERED and not your fault, it still takes ages to get reimbursed.
--Like Cillaliz, I feel that more emphasis can and should be placed on preventative care.
--Personally, I use a lot of alternative medicine. I pay by check or credit card, there is no insurance involved for either me or the practitioner, and I choose the practitioner I feel is best for my needs. Yes, it all comes out of my pocket. But I get better care, with far less hassle, than I received while insured.
--One doctor I sometimes see had a conventional practice for thrity years. He was sick of dealing with the insurance issues and planned to retire. Instead, he switched to an alternative practice. The present system is chasing away good people.
--There are some things that could be done relatively quickly. The IRS currently only allows deductions for medical treatment after you have incurred a certain percentage (7%?) of your income. If we want people to be more self-sufficient--and I think we should encourage this--then why not let us deduct more of our medical expenses?
--Everyone knows that health care in the US is expensive. Some seem to think it is only a monetary issue. It is not; there are quality of care issues, too. I would like to see some comparative studies regarding health care in other countries. Over and over we hear that that US has the best health care in the world. Do we? We spend more on health care per person that any other country, but our mortality statistics are far worse. I think we should stop this nonsense about how good our health care is and try to learn from what others are doing. Even if we think ours IS the best, why not try to do better?

Clearly, I could go on and on. I won't. I'll just say that if you wish to start a heated discussion, just ask someone--almost anyone--if they're happy with their doctor and their health plan!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:45 AM »

I'm up earlier today, and the sun is shining.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2007, 09:39:15 AM »

I recommend people see Sicko - it will, at the very least, show you things you may not know about - its portraits of France and England are especially eye-opening, even if you think Mr. Moore is larding it on, something is clearly working in those countries in terms of health care.  And the point again is, even if the doctors and care aren't quite as good as the US (and we don't really know that to be true), if you can't afford the care in the first place, what's the difference.  

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2007, 09:42:22 AM »

Monday afternoon greetings!  Today's my day off and I'm having trouble getting motivated to do errands.

TOD - Several weeks ago I visited our family doctor because I was having trouble getting rid of the cough that lingered after my NYC sinus infection.  He started to prescribe 2 meds, then realized that my insurance company wouldn't pay for either.  He changed the nasal spray to an alternate prescription med and for the pills, said, "Just get the over-the-counter equivalent - it's all the same."  I came away from that visit with the feeling that some distant MBA was treating me instead of an MD who's known me for years.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2007, 09:42:38 AM »

So, who would you rather be with?

And why won't you be there, instead?

You owe it to yourself, Cilla.  

Thanks Woody. I don't really want to discuss all of it in detail, since I have relatives who pop in here from time to time.  It's a little more complicated than having a place I would rather be.  I'm not staying there this Thanksgiving, but I am going up for the day.   I may do something else over the weekend.

This Christmas, my grandnephew has his baptism on Christmas eve. I would like to be there for that. I think what I'm going to do is just cut the holidays short this year.   I do love spending time with my parents.  It's the rest of it that frustrates me.  

JMK

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2007, 09:50:02 AM »

Thanks Woody. I don't really want to discuss all of it in detail, since I have relatives who pop in here from time to time.  

You're related to Ted Chapin?  (Sorry, my bad, couldn't resist).

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »

Well the plumber is done.  I have a new faucet on the outside of my house so I should not have problems with it freezing this winter.  Time to go to work.

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2007, 09:52:55 AM »

You're related to Ted Chapin?  (Sorry, my bad, couldn't resist).

I don't want to discuss it...think it's time for a change.... ;D

(Is that Ted Chapin? I didn't know that.)

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2007, 09:53:53 AM »

Time to let the cats out of the bedroom upstairs and go to work.   Laters....

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »

You know, I'd love to go to New York for Christmas.  But, that will have to wait until I can once again afford to go to New York for Christmas.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »

Danise's flight arrived early. :D

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2007, 10:18:24 AM »

BTW, for all of you were wondering (and you know who you are), the actress on CI last week used to be on Party of Five, so some nice internet person told me.  That still leaves me with the haunting question of where I've seen her before, since I never, ever watched Party of Five.  :)

Do you have the name? Because there are 3 actresses who i can remember from party of five who have gone on to do lots of other stuff.

One is neve campbell (short dark hair). She has been in some movies and guest starred on Medium last year (not sure if you watch that). There is also jennifer love hewitt (ghost whisperer). But i'm guessing it's not her.  Also there is lacey chambert (sp?). She is younger than the others and played the youngest sister. I know i've seen her on other stuff too.

JMK

« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2007, 10:59:48 AM »

Do you have the name? Because there are 3 actresses who i can remember from party of five who have gone on to do lots of other stuff.

One is neve campbell (short dark hair). She has been in some movies and guest starred on Medium last year (not sure if you watch that). There is also jennifer love hewitt (ghost whisperer). But i'm guessing it's not her.  Also there is lacey chambert (sp?). She is younger than the others and played the youngest sister. I know i've seen her on other stuff too.

Paula DeVicq

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »

Good day one and all!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »

Stunning photo derBrucer...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2007, 11:16:37 AM »

semi-rant ahead...

TOD:

Healthcare...

I have seen Moore's film, SICKO, and it does paint a sad picture of the American health care system. I have to agree with bk's assertion that many voters will not want to rock the boat concerning the issue.

I also know a number of people who do not have health care and that is sad. Granted, one may have to wait a bit for elective procedures in Canada and elsewhere but you can still get it. IN this country is it focused on greed, status and the ability to pay.  What gets me is that many companies will not cover vision or dental but some will cover vanity surgeries so they can look like a supermodel. I have no issue with reconstructive surgery it is just the vanity surgeries that irk me.  IMHO what benefit is there in looking like a supermodel when you cannot afford to get your teeth fixed so one can eat or your eyes checked so you can see.

Heck they will not even cover hearing aids...

I see corrected vision far more important than looking like you are 25 years younger than what you are. Granted certain aspects of the entertainment industry have not helped this matter.

This country wants to tout high standards for health but how can a country have such standards when it leads among the developed countries for infant mortality, suicide, obesity, heart disease, cancer and diabetes.  I really question the abilities and standards of the medical community.

I agree with JRand.... Don't get sick!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »

It is wet and wild in the Pacific Northwet.  Sustained winds of 40 and expecting gusts to 60.  If I had been at work today, I probably wouldn't even notice the wind.  But today is the day to honor or Veterans, so I am home.  Actually, it is not easy to ignore the weather, now that weatherman Jim Castillo has returned from New York to work in the Seattle market once again.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up