Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: OPEN SESAME  (Read 21079 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:OPEN SESAME
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2004, 09:35:14 AM »

Good morning, all. My voice has turned very deep overnight. I sound not unlike Lauren Bacall with a bad hangover. It's rather charming in a weird way.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2004, 09:39:28 AM »

As promised, here are my thoughts on Kismet, as mounted by Reprise!, which I saw last night:

What a mish-mash.  Brilliant at moments, rather amateurish at others, all over the place in between.  First off, I can tell you that it's pretty clear why Kismet does not get revived very often.  The book is rather weak, as it crams in so many characters and plot lines and supposed intrigues that none of them are given very much justice.  Worse, some of its comic passages can be downright sophomoric.  More than a few songs in the score stop the action cold, and there are moments in the plot that cry out for music that never arrives.  Still, there are some fine nuggets in the score, like "Stranger in Paradise" and especially "And This is My Beloved," which are incredibly wonderful.

This production is one of the sparest I've seen at Reprise! in some time.  Sets are comprised of little more than some draped fabric here and there.  As always, the orchestra (18 or 19 pieces, by my count) is on stage, behind a relatively narrow playing area.

The show begins strangely, with cast members--dressed in contemporary street clothes--gathering on stage, some of them stretching and some of them sitting in circles here and there, while the orchestra plays the overture.  As the action begins, costumes consist solely of some schmattes wrapped around the players to create the notion of Arabian robes.  As the production progresses, we see less of the street clothing and more evocative costuming.  There is much exposed flesh and eye candy--both male and female--throughout the evening.

I would love to tell you that Mr. Len Cariou is wonderful as Hajj, the poet, but I cannot.  He phones in a performance that leaves much to be desired.  His voice lacks the power it once had and he struggles to maintain pitch during several of his sustained passages.  There is little chemistry between Mr. Cariou and Miss Caryn Kaplan, who plays his daughter Marsinah, and there is little evidence of the supposed erotic attraction between Hajj and Lalume, played by Miss Jennifer Leigh Warren, called for in the script.  His rendition of "Gesticulate," the truth be told, is rather difficult to endure.

The two stars of the evening are, not surprisingly, Mr. Jason Graae and Miss Warren.  Mr. Graae is, well, I'm not sure how else to put this, Mr. Graae.  To say he plays the part of The Wazir broadly would be understating matters considerably.  At several junctures in Mr. Graae's performance my head was saying "too over the top!" while my heart was laughing heartily.  Never have I seen an evil villain played so campily and to such humorous effect.  To see him sing "Was I Wazir?" in front of seven very buff and shirtless members of the ensemble is a joy.  Miss Warren completely fills the stage with energy and charisma.  Vocally, she demonstrates tremendous range, belting here, singing everything from low alto to high soprano there.  Her "Not Since Nineveh" is thrilling.

The Caliph is played by Anthony Crivello, and he and Miss Kaplan sing their numbers sweetly and are pleasant to look at on stage.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 10:12:52 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2004, 09:39:44 AM »

Is that the actual picture of the duck that you saw, Jane? It ia absolutely beautiful! What a sight!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2004, 09:40:55 AM »

I'm about to hop in the shower.   :o

Sounds dangerous - stand on both feet!

der Brucer (worried about the safety of all DRs)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Danise

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2004, 09:47:41 AM »

Jane I LOVE the duck!  How pretty.  I wish we had them around here.  We have a cardinal around the house that I will have to try to get a picture of for ya'll.  I call him, Mr. Peeper 'cause that's the sound he makes.  

That Stroganoff recipe is  good if your rushed for time and want something fairly good.  I have others that I really like better but they take a good deal longer to make.

And I still say we need a seperate section for recipes.  Please!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2004, 09:51:01 AM »

Reading Jay's thoughts I can only say that they confirm my opinion the the evening's director, Mr. Arthur Alan Seidelman, is one of the biggest hacks in the history of the theater.  He is a man constantly in search of how to present young men in various states of undress - and I truly believe that is his vision in everything he does.  Certainly he has no directorial vision.  They should get rid of him and let some real directors in there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2004, 10:04:08 AM »

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, DinTo?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2004, 10:05:59 AM »

Is that the actual picture of the duck that you saw, Jane? It ia absolutely beautiful! What a sight!

Unfortunately we don't have a camera on the telescope and we didn’t dare go outside and scare the ducks away.  That picture is off the internet.  Once we had a Blue Heron that let us walk right up to it, well up to the tree it was sitting in.  We did get pictures of that.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2004, 10:11:40 AM »

Danise I miss having Cardinals.  I still remember the excitement I felt the first time I saw one.  It was just after our first snowfall in New Jersey, having moved there from L.A.  I was enjoying the view from our window when an incredible flash of red went by.  My heart just about stopped.

Danise

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2004, 10:21:33 AM »

I love them too.  They are always something special to see! I have to go do some grocery shoping. For some reason, I'm craving Stroganoff!

Be good and safe.  I'll be back!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »

Good morning everyone!!

Cardinals are so pretty.  We're lucky to have a couple of pairs which live around our neighborhood so they are a fairly common sight.  All the same there is nothing prettier than seeing a bright red one against the white of snow.  

Re: the Hainsies/Kimlets who were discussing using ALT-0231 to get "ç"

If you want to be particularly efficient you can get the same result by typing ALT-135.  Behold the hours you will gain by losing that extra number to type.  ;)

I woke up this morning feeling a little nauseous again so I have only drunk some tea and ate a piece of dry toast.  So far so good.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

td

• td
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2004, 10:37:38 AM »

Sounds dangerous - stand on both feet!

der Brucer (worried about the safety of all DRs)

I stood on both feet, but the soap kept dropping.    :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2004, 10:38:57 AM »

Dan-in Toronto I hope you enjoy them.  I haven't found out how my son's batch came out.  He had to guess at all the measurments, not having taken any measuring cups, etc. with him to Romania.

DRJane,

Even the overcooked ones (my fault; your recipe's perfect) are delicious. I'm still at it. It's a lot of batter.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2004, 10:52:31 AM »

DRJane,

I'm still at it. It's a lot of batter.

That is why I freeze the leftovers.  I’m very fussy about baked goods from the freezer.  My sour cream cake is another one I enjoy straight out of the freezer, so maybe it has something to do with the sour cream.

Glad you are enjoying the cookies. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2004, 11:32:25 AM »

I was lazy and didn't make the sour cream cookies this weekend as planned. Instead I stirred up some brownies out of a box. Good, but not as good as fresh homemade cookies would be!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2004, 11:56:11 AM »

One of those "I'm NOT ready for my close-up" moments:

der Brucer (who like the Scarlet Posternel, is lurking everywhere)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2004, 12:19:09 PM »

As part of New York City Ballet's Balanchine Centenial,  they decided to commission a new ballet to honor his work on Broadway and Susan Stroman choreographed.  It is supposedly the first new full length ballet they have done since the 60s, but it is actually two different ballets that could each stand on its own.  The dancing is not quite ballet and not quite Broadway, but an interesting mixture that works 90% of the time.  Only a Rockettes-style kick line on pointe (which happens to open the evening) seems strangely out of place.  The title of the evening is DOUBLE FEATURE, and is actually two silent movies (complete with silent movie titles).  The first is a melodrama to the music of Irving Berlin and the second is a slapstick comedy to the songs of Walter Donaldson (I forgot how many standards he wrote).  Actually the order should be reversed as the second is more like a curtain raiser.  The real heros of the evening are arranger Glen Kelly and orchestrator Doug Besterman who made marvelous dance suites from the various songs.  The Robin Wagner sets are sparse but fine; the William Ivey Long costumes (all in black and white as are the sets) are nice to look at, but he seems to have been costuming the ladies for a classical ballet and not the characters in the story.  The dancing is excellent throughout, even though most of the mail roles are danced by NYCB's second tier of dancers instead of the Principal Dancers.  A dancing dog practically steals the Donaldson work.  All in all, an interesting and enjoyable evening of miscellaney.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2004, 12:24:48 PM »

The dancing is excellent throughout, even though most of the mail roles are danced by NYCB's second tier of dancers instead of the Principal Dancers.

Hey, the Principal Dancers could have "phoned it in", instead of using "mail".

der Brucer (wondering if EMail roles are danced by Extras)

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2004, 12:49:27 PM »

Thanks for the reviews WEL and Jay. Australia day has dawned and Fred Schepisi has been awarded an Australia Day honour.

DR Danise: Does your duck committ sins of the cardinal kind?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »

Thoughts from yesterday:

I want a script of Jane explaining "going blind" to Keith - we could bring back Seinfeld with that sketch alone!

Mbarnum says:
Thanks again BK, you are one in a million!

Gosh, that means there're nearly 300 more like him in the US, and Planet Earth has over 6300 BK-alikes!

der Brucer (wondering if he dare tell DR jd that the Scarlet Street website has a typo! - and if you haven't visited The Talking Scarlet Street Website, give yourself a treat and go! Here you'll learn about a subversive plot to get a Grammy nod:

"In 1958, actress-singer Susan Gordon co-starred with John Agar and John Hoyt (playing a demented dollmaker) in 'Attack of the Puppet People,' an offbeat horror fantasy produced by her father, B-movie legend Bert I. Gordon. On 'Jeepers Creepers,' she sings a song from that film called 'You're My Living Doll,' qualifying the cut as an original cast recording. "

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2004, 01:04:51 PM »

I'm looking forward to watching the Golden Globes tonight. It's always a fun party, and you just never know who those people are going to select.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2004, 01:09:27 PM »

der Brucer (wondering if he dare tell DR jd that the Scarlet Street website has a typo! - and if you haven't visited The Talking Scarlet Street Website, give yourself a treat and go! Here you'll learn about a subversive plot to get a Grammy nod:

"In 1958, actress-singer Susan Gordon co-starred with John Agar and John Hoyt (playing a demented dollmaker) in 'Attack of the Puppet People,' an offbeat horror fantasy produced by her father, B-movie legend Bert I. Gordon. On 'Jeepers Creepers,' she sings a song from that film called 'You're My Living Doll,' qualifying the cut as an original cast recording. "  

Well, you could even tell Dear Reader td. . . who would happily pass the typo info onto Richard Valley, who might just take care of that typo. . .

Globes tonight, yes! ! !
Are we chatting during the awards? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2004, 01:15:52 PM »

I can tell you another reason KISMET isn't revived often in full productions: it would cost a fortune to do so.

I was lucky enough to see Alfred Drake at the New York State Theater in a revival of KISMET in the mid-60s, and besides his being incomparable (captured beautifully on the Lincoln Center revival cast album), the production was breathtakingly sumptuous. So, you've got to have marvelous singer/actors, beautiful sets and costumes, and sparkling, fast-paced direction for the show not to bog down and hold the audience's attention. I think the score is magnificent, but without the singers to do it justice, it would be torture.

Sounds like the Reprise! version that DR Jay critiqued was lacking many of those things. The MGM musical of KISMET has some fun moments and is beautifully sung, but Minnelli's turgid direction ruins it for me.

BTW, DR Jay, did they encorporate "Bored" into the score that was used in the film and in subsequent productions?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2004, 01:30:50 PM »

I really could die if I ate the truffles with hazelnuts. :'(

Jane, do (did?) you otherwise like hazelnuts?  Fortunately, you wouldn't have been surprised.  The white chocolate truffles were rolled in hazelnut pieces, so you would have seen them and known not to eat them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 01:31:10 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »

George what library do you work for?  Are you a librarian?

Based here in Olympia, I work for the Timberland Regional Library at their adminstrative headquarters.

And no, I'm not a "professional Librarian" with a Masters in Library Sciences (MLS in library lingo)...although most of the public has the impression that anyone who works for a library in any position is a "librarian."  My official title is "Collection Management Assistant III - Acquisitions."  A fancy way of saying that I buy books.  I don't make the decisions on what to buy, but I (and my supervisor and one CMA III) place the orders for the books and pay the invoices.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 01:39:47 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2004, 01:50:04 PM »

With fifty-four posts we should chat?  I'd LIKE to chat, I really, really would, but fifty-four posts just doesn't make me want to chat - not when we're heading for a new low and can't even get to page three by two o'clock.  That is just heinous (heinous, do you hear me?).  But, if we're far enough along, post-wise, then we shall chat and have our very own Golden Globes party.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2004, 01:54:40 PM »

Good afternoon!

Well, things are slowly getting back to normal - whatever "normal" may be.  And I am also getting back to normal too.  -I've actually been up before Noon that past two days! ;-)

DR Tomovoz - Happy Australia Day!  Does Cadbury make any special chocolates to commemorate the day?  ;D

DR Jane - A beautiful pic of the duck - regardless of it's source.

-And I guess I'll have to search the past fews days worth of posts for the sour cream cookie recipe.  Sounds scrumptious.  I finally broke in my new slow cooker yesterday with a good, old-fashioned pot roast.  Soooo good, and easy!  And I get to have the leftovers for tonight's dinner!

The snow is falling here in Richmond too.  And it's quite beautiful outside... a nice dusting on everything.  Unfortunately, all the weathercasters do seem to agree that the whole "event" will end with sleet and freezing rain... and about a 1/2 inch of ice on top of everything once all is said and done.  Thankfully, I don't have to be anywhere nor do anything until later in the week... Oh, and my car decided not to start yesterday afternoon.  Ah, well... I have a feeling I know what's wrong, and it shouldn't cost too much.  I'm just thankful that I was not too far from my apartment, and that I'm currently parked just a block from my regular service station - I'll stop by tomorrow - most likely Tuesday to get it looked at.  -At least the recording session I had just finished went relatively smoothly.

So... Today's been a nice, easy, relaxing day.  I met a friend for brunch, then walked around buying my Sunday papers.  Put some CDs in the stereo, and just had them on in the background while reading the papers.  -The sorta-new Cyndi Lauper album, "At Last", is really catching my ears.

DR Emily - Hope you're feeling better.

DR Jay - Thanks for the review of Kismet.  -Are there any pics of the Jason Graae with his "chorus line"?

Well, time to watch the snow fall...  Be back later.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2004, 02:00:17 PM »

DR Jose,

The recipe goes back a bit further. I found it quickly by going to Jane's page and searching her past 50 (maybe more by now) posts. If yours are on the small side, be sure to check them after ten minutes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 02:01:23 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »

Yes, we're in the midst of the ice that DR Jose just spoke of. Nice glaze over everything which should be horrendous by tomorrow morning. We're supposed to get more freezing rain tonight.

Am I glad I don't have to worry about getting up and driving to school tomorrow!

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2004, 02:15:56 PM »

I am also looking forward to watching the Golden Globes. But my favorite part is THE DRESSES!  I love looking at beautiful gowns.  And I also love the tv categories.  But no Alias tonight :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up