Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: OPEN SESAME  (Read 21065 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OPEN SESAME
« on: January 25, 2004, 12:02:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've sung the notes, you've danced the notes, hence you are ready to post until the cows come home whilst saying Open Sesame.
Do your best. ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:07:36 AM by bk »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:OPEN SESAME
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 12:08:59 AM »

DR Laura - I think the rare duck is very exciting!  When I worked for the forest service I found a rare species of salamander.  It was very exciting, in a science-nerd sort of way...:)

BK - I agree with you about the imdb "reviewers" I too went and read the threads on Swimming Pool after watching the DVD this evening, especially the one where some guy claimed to have "figured out" the plot.  A lot of hot-headed speculation, I thought.  I am always amused at the amount of meaning and depth one can see in a plot, provided they want to see it badly enough.  (yes DR Jed, I am a philosophy major.. :))
But I liked the film, overall, and I really loved the beautiful scenery...which to my mind included the pretty nude people ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 12:13:52 AM »

DR Laura. Yes it is exciting. We are members of "Land For Wildlife" which means that we set aside part of our property for the use of native fauna. We are always pleased to see "New to us" birds visit our garden and bushland.  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 12:19:50 AM »

I have just returned from Kismet.  I will file a review in the morning, as right now I have a date with Mr. Sandman.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 12:19:55 AM »

I'm glad that some folks understand. Pretty much, we get the "Huh, no kidding" (A Forever Plaid reference) response here.

The photo that accompanies my posts is the duck we saw.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 12:21:38 AM »

Darn!  Missed my chance at relevance by a couple of minutes.  Well, I'm going to say it anyway . . .

"Meyer Mishkin" was a character (presumably based on the real person) in Spielberg's 1979 epic comedy, "1941."  He was a Hollywood agent-type who appeared at a USO dance with the "Anderson Sisters" (presumably based on the ANDREWS sisters).  He served as the judge of a jitterbug contest which turned into an intra-armed-forces brawl.  The winner of the contest would be signed to a contract at RKO Studios.

"1941's" Mishkin was portrayed by Iggie Wolfington, who many here may remember as Broadway's original Marcellus Washbun in "The Music Man."

And yes, for those who were wondering, the term "epic comedy" is an oxymoron.  For proof, walk -- don't run -- to see "1941."  
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 01:13:48 AM »

I have just returned from Kismet.  I will file a review in the morning, as right now I have a date with Mr. Sandman.

Is he cute?  I've always wondered. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2004, 01:16:44 AM »

Bruce, it's amazon.co.uk not amazon.com.uk.  Working for a library in the Acquisitions Department, I have to search for places to send orders and we used amazon.co.uk quite a lot.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2004, 01:19:38 AM »

And Bruce, about the "open sesame" thing, are you sure it's not supposed to be "open says me" (or "open sez me")?  I always used to think that that was what it was until I was a teenager and I read it in a book as "open sesame."

George

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2004, 01:34:55 AM »

And finally, Tony Bennett was fabulous!  The man is 77 years old and WOW can he still sing!  Even at his age, he can hold notes longer than I ever could!  And one of the songs (it's only been a few hours and I can't remember which one anymore) he sang off mic.  Just him singing with no microphone accompanied only by the electric guitar in a theater that holds almost 1000 people (that was almost sold out!) and you could hear it without even trying.  He had a piano player, an electric guitar, a stand-up bass and drums with him.  That was it.  He did an hour and a half with one encore and then he quietly slipped out the back.

One of the Center employees (a friend) took some pictures (with Tony's permission) and might (mind you he said might) e-mail them to me!  It was a great concert and I even got to eat some of the fabulous lasagna that was being served.  And the truffles!  Oh-My-Good-Good-Ness! (an Ain't Misbehavin' reference.)  They had dark chocolate truffles and white chocolate truffles with hazelnuts.  To Die For!  And everything (even for the help) was free.  We could partake of all the food and drinks (I don't drink booze so I filled up on the Diet Pepsi).  In previous CenterFest Celebrations, I've just ushered.  Tonight I helped behind the bar.  Pretty darned fun!  I'll definitely do that again next year!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2004, 05:31:49 AM »

DR George,

Lasagna, truffles and Tony Bennett. Sounds like a perfect evening.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2004, 06:41:53 AM »

I need to post quickly. Must clean, as my sis and her hubby are coming for breakfast.  And we will be eating pancakes. I am so happy, as I have not had pancakes in a while.

For anyone interested, the new Bachelor is gonna be NY Giants backup quarterback Jesse Palmer:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/jan22_palmer-ap.html

Btw, I think it's like -40+C here this morning. What is with this cold weather? :(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 06:42:27 AM »

I'm glad that some folks understand. Pretty much, we get the "Huh, no kidding" (A Forever Plaid reference) response here.

The photo that accompanies my posts is the duck we saw.
You would prefer something along the lines of "How to Prepare Duck, and What Sauce to Serve With It?"  (Tasteful, and at the same time not.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2004, 07:27:06 AM »

In regard to THE ROAR OF THE GREASEPAINT - THE SMELL OF THE CROWD, I will defend the author's statement only to say that the show even with its short run was a financial success. David Merrick did the same thing with it that he did with OLIVER! Had a cross country national tour BEFORE opening on Broadway, and the tour was so incredibly successful that the show paid off entirely while touring. After it opened to lukewarm-to-negative reviews, Merrick allowed it to run as long as it had theater parties booked and was breaking even. Once those dried up, he simply closed the show.

He may have been a monster and an almost impossible person to deal with, but at that stage of his career, Merrick was a stupendous businessman.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004, 07:31:27 AM »

Well, just as the weathermen predicted, I got up this morning at 8 a.m. to a soft snow falling. It's been falling ever since and is 31 degrees outside. Yesterday it was it in 60s here, and in two days, we're supposed to return to that spring-like weather.

You have to love the South. Weather here can change so rapidly that it takes your breath away. I saw people walking around in shorts yesterday. Today, it looks like we're in Alaska.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2004, 07:33:49 AM »

Good morning!

I had a very strange dream last night.  I can't remember who but I was with someone and we went to Bruces house--we heard his voice (and I'm not sure what his voice sounds like ) calling us--"I'm here--I'm here!" and we went from room to room to room.  One filled with books, one with DVDs, the BIGGEST kitchen I've EVER seen, but we never could find him!  I don't remember much just yelling, "Where ARE you?" and the answer--"I'm here, I'm here!" and it always sounded like he was in the next room but when we got there, he was gone.  

And Bruce, about the "open sesame" thing, are you sure it's not supposed to be "open says me" (or "open sez me")?  I always used to think that that was what it was until I was a teenager and I read it in a book as "open sesame."

That reminds me that when I was little and watched "Miss America", I always thought they sang, "Look at her, she's a DILL".  As in pickle and I never could figure out why anyone would want to be one!   :D  Years later I realized they were saying  IDEAL and ya know, somehow, that makes more sense.  

DR Ann--so what did your fortune cookie say?  Mine said "You will be showered with good luck."  Hit me, baby, I'm dirty.  

DRS. Woody White--I'm so sorry about your hamburger meat!  At least you caught it before both ate it and got sick off of it!   I'll tell the story of my first Thanksgiving turkey.

I wanted to do something different so I wanted a FRESH turkey not a frozen one.  About 3 days before for T-day, I bought it and put it in the fridge.  The day came.   I had all the stuffing made and everything was ready for the bird.  When I cut the wrapping,  that turkey smelled funky.  I mean it smelled fowl.   I had never before (or since) bought a fresh turkey so I'm not sure if that was how one SHOULD smell or not but I wasn't going to chance it.   I had to throw the whole bird away.  

I had to run to the store and settle for a chicken that I could defrost because it was way to late to use a frozen turkey.  I always buy a frozen turkey now.

JRand said:
DR Danise isn't that always the way....someone talks when you are trying to listen....to something else.

I can be in the room with my mom for an hour and she won't have anything to say,  but as soon as I close the bathroom door, she starts talking to me!

I had to laugh about the "going blind" but I have to agree with you , JRand.  She does that to me all the time.  "You don't listen to me!" She says but she always, always, ALWAYS picks the moment I'm trying to hear something else.  When I do pay attention, she has nothing to say!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 09:29:33 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2004, 07:45:13 AM »

Oh how prescient!   8)

Just yesterday I watched a DVD of
Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.  It is a Region 0 DVD import with NO titles, but still nice to have.

Mr Jon Hall, Mr Turhen Bey, and Ms Maria Montez are all lovely and the costumes and scenery sparkle and shine in early 1940's Technicolor!  By the by - Ali Baba begins the movie as Scotty Beckett, who grew up to be quite a few other people in the movies...including Robert Cummings in King's Row.

No I was not going blind!  That is for the DR's who wondered yesterday!  :P

Free for all day.  Do any DR's have any "fantasy" books that were made into movies that you especially enjoyed?  I like Ali Baba of course, The Time Machine, and a few others.  My favorite Hall/Montez is The Cobra Woman!

Snow and ice haven't started yet - but they keep promising!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 07:53:28 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004, 08:02:40 AM »

DR GEORGE - I'm an usher at Cerritos Center for Performing Arts here in California and have seen Tony Bennett in concert several times. In each performance I've seen, he sings one song off mic. When Maureen McGovern appeared, she not only sang off mic but without accompaniment. It's a revelation to listen to the human voice in song without amplification. It definitely requires more effort from the listener. When amplification is not right to your ears though, it can be horrible. I walked out of a Manhattan Transfer performance because the mics were turned up too much. The sound was grating and the lyrics were like mush--even with ear plugs.

Danise

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2004, 08:21:27 AM »

Here is the receipe I mentioned last night.  It's really easy and I don't do step 2.  I just cook all the meat/onions all at the same time.

Enjoy!

Sensation Beef Stroganoff

1 pound boneless beef top round steak (about 3/4 inch thick)
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, divided
½ cup chopped onion
1 can (10 334 ounces) Campbell’s condensed cream of mushroom soup
½ teaspoon paprika
½ cup sour cream

Hot cooked noodles
Chopped fresh parsley, paprika, tomato wedges and fresh sage sprigs for garnish (I never bother with this BTW)

1.  Slice beef across the grain into thin strips.
2.  In 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon of hot margarine cook half of the beef and half of onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; set aside.  Repeat with remaining margarine, beef and onion.  
3.  Return meat mixture to skillet.  Stir in soup and ½ teaspoon paprika.  Heat through, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.  Stir in sour cream.
4.  Serve over noodles.  Sprinkle with parsley and additional paprika.  Garnish with tomatoes and savory, if desired.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2004, 08:34:07 AM »

They had dark chocolate truffles and white chocolate truffles with hazelnuts.  To Die For!  

I really could die if I ate the truffles with hazelnuts. :'(

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2004, 08:43:09 AM »

DR Jane,

At this very moment I'm making your sour cream cookies.  The first batch just went into the oven, and you'll probably be reading this before they're even done. Isn't the www an interesting place?

Jane

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 08:47:22 AM »

Dan-in Toronto I hope you enjoy them.  I haven't found out how my son's batch came out.  He had to guess at all the measurments, not having taken any measuring cups, etc. with him to Romania.

Jane

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2004, 08:49:43 AM »

George what library do you work for?  Are you a librarian?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2004, 08:54:16 AM »

Well I finally got a guess for the Trivia Question.  Not too sure about the answer...but whew!  At least it's AN answer.  LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2004, 08:56:13 AM »

http://www.wannabeinrent.com/

What are friends for?  To support their friends, right?

Well, I freind of my dear friend and vocal coach, Roseanna Irwin, has a former student who has become one of the FIFTEEN FINALISTS in the "You Wanna Be in RENT?" contest.  
Now, I know that many DRs are not fond of RENT, I know that I am one of those. . .
Still, we can all help Mark Christine in his effort to be cast as Roger by going to the website above, watching his audtion tape ("One Song, Glory") and casting our vote.
Mr. Christine is on the bottom row on the far left, wearing the white sleeveless shirt. . .

I thank you, Roseanna thanks you and I know that Mark would be eternally grateful. . .
Perhaps BK might find a new singer among those fifteen people, too. ..

...and while we're on the subject of voting. .

Let's not forget to cast a vote in favor of JEEPERS CREEPERS being the "CD of the Year" af the Rondo Awards:

http://rondoaward.com/
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2004, 09:02:48 AM »

Latest from Mars - Opportunity's Rover is on-line:

Lots more pix at Rover's Home

der Brucer (wondering which star is wandering the Meridian Plateau)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2004, 09:25:01 AM »

I do a couple of things differently with my strogonoff.  Does that sound dirty?  Where in tarnation IS everyone?  What is it, Sunday all of a sudden?

Jane

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2004, 09:31:20 AM »

DRLaura can you post a better photo of the duck?  

We have a pond off our bedroom which is on the path for migrating Wood Ducks.  In the fall, we set up our land-telescope there to watch them.  One fall morning, while looking through the telescope, an incredible duck passed across my view. It was a male Mandarin Duck.  Since they aren’t indigenous we suspect it had been a pet that escaped and was now traveling with its Wood Duck cousins.  To our delight the duck stayed several hours.

What a sight!

td

• td
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2004, 09:31:35 AM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  

As I just said to another DR; I'm about to hop in the shower.   :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2004, 09:34:18 AM »

Yes, BK, it sounds dirty. But funny.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 10:31:53 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up