Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: OPEN SESAME  (Read 21078 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OPEN SESAME
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2004, 02:36:47 PM »

Looking forward to getting on Tuesday that new ALICE IN WONDERLAND that bk mentioned this morning. Sounds like they've ported all the stuff from that giant ALICE laserdisc box into convenient DVD form. I had never upgraded from the laserdisc when ALICE first came out on DVD, so I'm really anxious to see how this looks on DVD.

The film has never gotten its due, and I'd love to see this release celebrated enough to carry ALICE into a proper place in the Disney pantheon.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 02:37:52 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2004, 02:38:20 PM »

Good SUnday afternoon to all!

The New Broadway Radio Show is up and running...it's called Have A Little Faith and you'll just have to listen to find out what it's about!
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2004, 02:49:50 PM »

What's this new Golan and Globus award show that everyone's talking about?  Didn't they make some pretty bad movies before they stopped making movies altogether?  Now they're giving themselves their own awards?  What's the point of getting an award if you're giving to yourself?  (whisper, whisper, whisper)  What?  (whisper, whisper, whisper)  Oh...nevermind.  (an Emily Litella reference)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2004, 02:57:59 PM »

Golan and Globus produced some pretty wretched dreck during their film production years, but as badly directed as APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH is, I'm glad they made it. I enjoy seeing it from time to time. (And there are some very attractive men in the supporting cast.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2004, 03:11:35 PM »

Golan and Globus are also responsible for DUET FOR ONE starring Julie Andrews, Max von Sydon and Alan Bates. . .featuring a very young Liam Neeson, too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 03:13:23 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2004, 03:12:51 PM »

Sorry Jose! No Oz Chocolates. It is always a "token" celebration by government bodies who think they should do something. No patriotism here. It is the last week of the School summer holidays so a "holiday" is meaningless to children who are already on holidays and of course there is no possibilty of re-inforcement of the day's significance at school. A century of neglect.  The day's celebration is also a day or morning for the indigenous people.  Anzac day in April is far more significant to many of us. Even celebrating the federation of the States would be of no significance as it would fall on New Year's Day. We are in some ways a country without identity. We don't want to cling on to the cultural embarassments of Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin etc, but know not which way to go. Thus we revel in the adoration of sporting heroes.
Here endeth the lesson.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2004, 03:22:32 PM »

Where is everyone?  Buried under the snow the way I am?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2004, 03:26:25 PM »

Just dropping in briefly to say hello. Have lots of reading to do this afternoon and will probably watch the Golden Globes tonight. A guilty peasure. They are SO ridiculous, but fun. I actually attended once some years ago when a film I wrote had some nominations -- and would you believe I have not one single memory of the event. Actually I do have one -- I was seated at a wonderful table front and center, but just before the show began was asked if the elderly, ill wife of some famous producer could have my place as somehow her seat had been given away. Could I say no? So I wound up sitting somewhere in the gods. As I said, that's my only memory of the event. It's more fun to watch it on TV. And your seat on the couch is YOURS for the night.

Danise

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2004, 03:31:59 PM »

Evening all!  I just finished eating my supper which was......

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Beef Stroganoff![/move]

Thanks for the reviews WEL and Jay. Australia day has dawned and Fred Schepisi has been awarded an Australia Day honour.

DR Danise: Does your duck committ sins of the cardinal kind?

Ha ha--hummmm.  I'll have to think about that one.   :D

Pardon but I must ask--what is Australia Day?  A holiday, I take it .  Do you get the day off from work?  What does it mean?

I am sooo tired.  I went to bed at 8, slept most of the night straight thru got up late--8:30/9 I think and right now feel so tired I could lay my head down and go to sleep right here at the computer.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jed

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2004, 03:34:02 PM »

A lazy Sunday here, enjoying a couple Jimmy Stewart movies on TCM.  First was Rear Window, and now The Shop Around the Corner.  Two of my fave Stewart flicks.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2004, 03:41:47 PM »

Australia celebrates the first white settlement in Australia. (Jan 26 1788). The invasion of the country! It is supposed to be like July 4th I guess. It is a holiday. It used to be a long weekend with the day being celebrated on the nearest Monday. For the past few years it has been only celebrated on January 26 so no long weekend any more. Being a retired person I don't get holidays. Sad but true.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2004, 03:45:58 PM »

I love Kismet.

I love Shop Around The Corner.

Thanks, Jay, for the review.  I was debating on whether to go to Kismet.  Think I'll just replay the original cast album with the late great Alfred Drake.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2004, 03:51:18 PM »

Jane, that's a beautiful Mandarin duck. Our zoo has one that frequents the lake there -- along with two pair of wood ducks and other assorted ducks that are here for the winter.

The one we saw is very rare for our area -- a Eurasian wigeon. It looks like an American wigeon (and we have hundreds currently) except the head is a different color.  

Here's the one we saw. The rare one is the rust-colored headed one, and he's hanging out with his other wigeon friends.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Danise

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2004, 03:51:37 PM »

I find it shocking that retired people don't get holidays.  Retirement, it's a rough job but someone has to do it! Stiff upper lip there, Tomovoz!

So it's kinda like Columbus day.  I'm sure the natives here look at it as "The invasion of the country" as well.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2004, 03:54:19 PM »

Rear Window....  what a terrific movie.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2004, 03:57:49 PM »

Yes, the late, great Alfred Drake. He had both a glorious voice and sex appeal. That's a rare combination among leading men. Others? Only Hugh Jackman and Brian Stokes Mitchell come to mind. John Raitt had the voice, but (IMHO) lacked the appeal.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2004, 03:58:48 PM »

A lazy Sunday here, enjoying a couple Jimmy Stewart movies on TCM.  First was Rear Window, and now The Shop Around the Corner.

Terrific films. And, of course, Shop takes place in my native city.

Robin

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2004, 04:04:19 PM »

Like most Sundays, the Significant Other and myself watch a string of movies...some at home and more often than not, one or two in the theater, too.  Today's at-home movies were the deeveedees of the wonderful Finding Nemo and the unreasonalby-entertaining blaxploitation horror film Blacula.  The (incredibly depressing) theatrical release was Monster.

And I'm a sucker for awards shows (except the Grammys, which bore me to tears since I dislike 99 44/100% of what passes for pop music these days), so I'll be watching the Golden Globes and having nachos and apple juice.  Sounds like fun, don't it?
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2004, 04:20:41 PM »

Jane, do (did?) you otherwise like hazelnuts?  Fortunately, you wouldn't have been surprised.  The white chocolate truffles were rolled in hazelnut pieces, so you would have seen them and known not to eat them.

I don't think I like them but it could be psychological since the moment they touch my lips I begin to swell.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2004, 04:39:17 PM »

At last the cuase of my weight gain. We grow (and eat) hazel nuts. And I was blaming ice-cream and chocolate.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »

An urgent message from our dear leader, bk...

Click here to see it!!!

Jane

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2004, 04:54:05 PM »

DERBRUCER it didn’t take much explaining-he read Portnoy’s Complaint. Obviously I did to since I laughed. ;D

DRLaura thanks for the beautiful picture and the information.

George I asked the question knowing you might not be a librarian.  Keith asked which library.  He is familiar with a large number of the libraries across the country.  He has an MLS and was a librarian at Caltech (Pasadena) in the mid-70s.  Prior to our first son being born, he managed a sales territory in Southern California for Prentice Hall (now Simon & Schuster).  He says that Timberland is a great multi-county library system—one of the best in the country.  Before retiring (1998) he worked for the Thomson Corporation and, among other things, was of CEO for Gale Research and Information Access Company (IAC).  He thought you’d be familiar with those companies

Jane

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2004, 04:56:25 PM »

At last the cuase of my weight gain. We grow (and eat) hazel nuts. And I was blaming ice-cream and chocolate.

I knew someone would have fun with my statement.  :)

Jane

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2004, 04:58:25 PM »

Charles Pogue Janet Greek said to say hello.  I was walking Echo today when I saw my very nice, soon to be neighbor, Janet.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2004, 05:06:32 PM »

Click here to see it!!!

ROTFLMBCO! ("Rolling on the floor laughing my butt cheeks off" in Internet Lingo)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2004, 05:07:51 PM »

Click here to see it!!!

omigawd!  BK keeps winking at me!

I really want to hear about The Randy Vicar and the Squeegee, though.

td

• td
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2004, 05:09:40 PM »

Wow, has anybody seen Anthony LaPaglia's wife? !? !? !?! ? hubba-hubba!  

td

• td
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2004, 05:12:35 PM »

I can see it now, td has his very own posting frenzy. . .

Jed

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2004, 05:12:37 PM »

Quick reminder to east coast Hainsies/Kimlets - Unlike the Oscars, the Golden Globes are not shown live on the west coast, so I'm sure there a number of folks here who would appreciate a 3-hour delay on any awards spoilers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up