Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY THE TURKEYS ATE US  (Read 24638 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE DAY THE TURKEYS ATE US
« Reply #270 on: November 22, 2007, 07:45:51 PM »

DR elmore - You can watch "Ugly Betty" online at ABC.com.  And I'm sure you should be able to watch it rather nicely on your new computer.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #271 on: November 22, 2007, 07:47:11 PM »

More spoiler warnings!

I suppose Disney films are supposed to be slick--and this was. Too slick for my taste. The chipmunk animation was indeed very clever and beautifully done. Frankly, I'd prefer a few less rodents. Shock value? Oh, yes, they got that. Why does the slickness bother me? I guess it's because there was so much money behind this film, so much technique, when I felt the story needed work, that the real meat just wasn't there. I'm a story person. The story has to work for me. And this didn't.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2007, 07:57:52 PM »

And even more spoiler warnings!

Re the acting. As I mentioned before, I was very pleased to see Timothy Spall. I felt his performance was the strongest of the film. I did not care for Amy Adams. I found Susan Sarandon uninspired. I will give credit to James Marsden.

I loved the score. I felt it really worked for the fantasy feel that the film needed.

To sum up, I don't feel that the film really knew what it was, but had megabucks to play with. I've often been very impressed with small theatrical productions that have LITTLE in the way of resources, but instead of being a disadvantage, it actually spurred creativity. I felt just the opposite here. Maybe I'm just a little-theatre person at heart. I don't expect anyone to share my views. They are simply, mine.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2007, 07:58:11 PM »

POSSIBLE "ENCHANTED" SPOILER...

I don't think the movie was trying to be that deep.  IMHO, I think it was just saying that sometimes our Prince Charming and Our Princess are not always who you think, who your dream they are.  And that people get together and connect at many different levels.   One person's "deep", may be another person's "wading pool".

However, now that I've read a couple more of the reviews, I do find the comments about moments of "weak direction" a little puzzling.  As well as the "unflattering" make-up for Susan Sarandon.  Aren't all villains basically candidates for makeovers?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »

I'm still "recovering" from some of my Cruise indulging, so... ;)

Oh, I thought the cruise was TRAINING for your Thanksgiving meal.   ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:55 PM »

And did the temps elsewhere take a nose-dive throughout the day too?  It was just shy of 60 degrees when I was at Dulles airport this morning.  When I got up from my nap this afternoon, it was windy and chilly(!) outside.  At least it was nice - and dry! - for the Macy's Parade this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2007, 08:01:30 PM »

In honor of the day, I'm truly grateful to have HHW friends and confidantes all through the year.

Ditto!! :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2007, 08:04:58 PM »

Oh, I thought the cruise was TRAINING for your Thanksgiving meal.   ;)

Well, it was more like an "unexpected vacation", so...  Whatever that means.  -And, frankly, some of the desserts on board were a little lacking - at least the ones on the buffets.  There's only so much "non-dairy whipped topping" one can take, and I found it really strange that the carrot cake was frosted with said non-dairy whipped topping and not cream cheese frosting - or at least faux-cream cheese frosting.

And did I mention the "accidentally" mesquite-smoked vanilla ice cream which truly curbed my dessert intake on the second night of the cruise?   :-\
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:08:18 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2007, 08:07:07 PM »

For reasons that defy explanation, I did not check my mail yesterday and rememberd this afternoon.

Inside my mailbox was something from George!

Thanks, George!

I'm grateful to you for this bit of happy!

You're very welcome!  ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #279 on: November 22, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »

Glad Ron can record UGLY BETTY for you, DR Elmore. It was a wonderful episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: November 22, 2007, 08:07:41 PM »

DR elmore - You can watch "Ugly Betty" online at ABC.com.  And I'm sure you should be able to watch it rather nicely on your new computer.

Oh, and I thought it was a great episode tonight too.  -And I liked "Grey's Anatomy" tonight as well.

-Although, one of the young girls who is visiting probably should not have seen the final segments of tonight's show.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #281 on: November 22, 2007, 08:08:11 PM »

Everything in moderation.

"If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing."
Anonymous

;)

Matt H.

« Reply #282 on: November 22, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »

I began my evening of viewing by finishing LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME. How Doris Day failed to receive an Oscar nomination for this film is still baffling. Cagney, of course, grealy deserved his, and I might actually have given him the award over Ernest Borgnine in MARTY.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:10:35 PM by Matt H. »

George

« Reply #283 on: November 22, 2007, 08:09:19 PM »

I'm still at my sister's.  I haven't watched "Ugly Betty" yet, since it's starting right now and I'm still at my sister's house.  Be back later. :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2007, 08:09:45 PM »

POSSIBLE "ENCHANTED" SPOILER...

I don't think the movie was trying to be that deep.  IMHO, I think it was just saying that sometimes our Prince Charming and Our Princess are not always who you think, who your dream they are.  

I agree that it wasn't trying to be deep. But, like FJL pointed out, I think there are some mixed messages going on. I don't think it's clear what it was trying to say.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »

-And, frankly, some of the desserts on board were a little lacking - at least the ones on the buffets.  There's only so much "non-dairy whipped topping" one can take, and I found it really strange that the carrot cake was frosted with said non-dairy whipped topping and not cream cheese frosting - or at least faux-cream cheese frosting.

And did I mention the "accidentally" mesquite-smoked vanilla ice cream which truly curbed my dessert intake on the second night of the cruise?   :-\

Ohhhh...I missed the negative food comments. A cruise not serving great desserts?? Oh, dear.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2007, 08:14:07 PM »

"If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing."
Anonymous

;)

;D   ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: November 22, 2007, 08:14:11 PM »

Next, I took out a STAR TREK Season 2 episode. This was the one where Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock have to fight since Spock's potential mate picked Kirk as his adversary. Most of the episode was fairly dull apart from the battle.

Matt H.

« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »

Next, I put in the movie I'll be watching tomorrow - RETURN TO NEVER LAND. I watched it when the first issue of this movie came out in 2002, so I started with the new game that's included on the new disc. I ran out of time playing it, but I'll go back to it tomorrow as I'm going through the rest of the disc. And, yes, I'll watch the movie again. It was an OK PETER PAN sequel as I recall with voices that couldn't match in any way the original voices.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: November 22, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »

I'm off now to read one of my favorite authors, Laurie King.

Good night.

Matt H.

« Reply #290 on: November 22, 2007, 08:16:32 PM »

As I said, UGLY BETTY had a marvelous episode tonight with some funny moments and some poignant moments, both of which this show does to perfection.

Matt H.

« Reply #291 on: November 22, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »

GREY'S ANATOMY was really good tonight, too, though I can't believe they scheduled a two parter and the second part won't be on next week but the week following. That was QUITE a cliffhanger.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #292 on: November 22, 2007, 08:20:39 PM »

And since we're talking about food, and I've started reminiscing about my recent cruise...

The first night of the cruise, the "team" dined at Palo, the "Adults Only" restaurant on board the Disney Wonder.  Wonderful Italian food, cooked to order.  I started off my meal with a "Limone e Basilico" martini - Limoncello shaken with some Fresh Basil leaves - quite refreshing.

For my appetizer, I chose a half-portion of one of the Pasta Selections that evening: Pumpkin and Broccoli Gnocchi with Rock Shrimp.  Then came an Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb for my entree.  Then for dessert, a trio of scoops of gelato from their daily selection: Mocha, Caramel and Pistachio.

Our amazing waitress, Agnes, took very good care of us throughout the evening.  She actually remembered the head casting director from some of this past visits, so with each course, she brought an extra dish for everyone to share.  During the dessert course, she not only brought out their new "Pineapple Almond Ravioli" - thin slices of roasted pineapple surrounding an almond mousse - soooo good - but also their new Death By Chocolate confection, also quite good.

And to finish off the meal, not only did she bring some complimentary Brachetto d'Aqui, but also some amazing concoction of limoncello, champagne and something I need to research. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #293 on: November 22, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »

CSI had a cutsey episode tonight, the kind I really don't like. They had a couple of these last year (when the bodies started talking to themselves in the morgue and another where the lab rats got together to try to piece together the miniature murder mystery from last season.)

Tonight, Hodges was working on a new board game and posing various scenarios for other lab guys to solve. I knew the identity of the murderer in his last puzzle very quickly.

The only good thing about this episode is that openly gay actor Gerald McCollough was back as gun expert Bobby. His character had not been been included in cases for almost two years.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #294 on: November 22, 2007, 08:31:31 PM »

Ohhhh...I missed the negative food comments. A cruise not serving great desserts?? Oh, dear.

Well, now that I think of it, I don't think I ever gave any detailed food reports.  In any case...

Since I come from a food service family, I totally understand the need to have "stable" and "safe" food when it comes to buffet service, so, all that non-dairy whipped topping didn't really bother me.  I just don't want to consume it.  However, their pastry chefs did make some quite delicious cookies, and the coffee bar had a wonderful selection of biscotti and other dolci which I happily indulged.

As for the Mesquite-Smoke Ice Cream...  The second night of the cruise, they presented an on-deck dessert buffet after the Pirate Party.  However, they also provided some savory food too: sandwiches, chicken fingers, and some smoked turkey legs.  One table had all the cakes and cookies, and the other table had the savory items as well a cool-looking automatic crepe-making machine.  I decided to try a crepe, and I requested it "a la mode".  Well, I think the ice cream container had been sitting a bit too close to the smoked turkey leg oven - or least the exhaust system.  When I took my first bite of the crepe and ice cream, well, it tasted like smoke.  I actually thought the ice cream had gone bad.  Of course, being the "complete" taster that I am, I decided to have another bit of the crepe and ice cream just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  Well, it wasn't a fluke.  And it took a while for that bad taste to leave my mouth.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:32:58 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #295 on: November 22, 2007, 08:34:23 PM »

Ron, I would really appreciate it. UGLY BETTY is my favorite tv show.

I watched it and deleted it before I read your post, DR Elmore, sorry. Hope Ron can get it for you, it was a good episode

Matt H.

« Reply #296 on: November 22, 2007, 08:34:50 PM »

Heading down now to go to bed.

Good night!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #297 on: November 22, 2007, 08:36:51 PM »

I've never much liked Brussels Sprouts.  But I imagine I've never had them prepared properly.  I'm sure they could be tasty, done right!

The new chef at the place I've been doing most of my editing made the most amazing brussel sprouts. He drizzled olive oil over them and baked them until they were carmelized. I don't know what else he put on them, but they were always devoured immediately and there were never left-overs.

Sadly, he has left to go to a real restaurant---before I got to learn his secrets!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #298 on: November 22, 2007, 08:38:06 PM »

Most folks buy 'em frozen and then cook them too long so they're all mushy.  And since they're processed with the cores, they're bitter.

We had these very ones at my DH's parents' today. Yuck. And I love me some brussel sprouts!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #299 on: November 22, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »

Oh, and I thought it was a great episode tonight too.  -And I liked "Grey's Anatomy" tonight as well.

-Although, one of the young girls who is visiting probably should not have seen the final segments of tonight's show.

I liked Grey's tonight too and I actually jumped during that final segment even though I could see what was coming
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up