Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY THE TURKEYS ATE US  (Read 24600 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE DAY THE TURKEYS ATE US
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2007, 07:25:33 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate. I had two invitations today, but I'm staying home and eating the last of the meat loaf I prepared yesterday. I bought a boneless turkey breast, but I think now I'll save it for Christmas.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »

Thank you, DR SWoody. That sounds easy and yummy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2007, 07:28:13 AM »

Page Three Amos Diggory and Albus Dumbledore Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2007, 07:29:48 AM »

The most memorable Thanksgiving I can remember was when my second partner Frank and I spent Thanksgiving in Las Vegas. It was one of the best trips I've ever been on. We had a blast all over the city, and for dinner, of course, we went to an all-you-can-eat buffet which offered everything one could wish for to eat. I don't remember ever being more stuffed. What joy!

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2007, 07:32:34 AM »

Today, I'm looking forward to watching the rest of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, the two TV shows on the DVR (SVU, CSI: NY), and probably a Blu-ray disc before prime time starts tonight.

Surprisingly, some of the networks are showing new episodes of shows (ABC, CBS) rather than reruns. With the NBC comedies gone (except for an OFFICE repeat at 10:30), I'll be able to catch up with SUPERNATURAL's season 3 premiere which I missed due to other commitments.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2007, 07:39:57 AM »

I just realized something.

It's Thanksgiving.

Therefor, it's time for Christmas Muzak!

Yep, in every store nothing will be heard for the next month except for Christmas Muzak.  Over and over and over.

And, in these politically correct times (definition of political correctness: the fine art of taking offense where none was intended), this means that any and all Christmas CAROLS cannot be played, because it might offend those who are not Christians.  Only Christmas SONGS are allowed.  

(Carol of the Bells, a.k.a. the Ukranian Christmas Carol, is allowed, but only because no one knows the lyrics.)

And how many versions of Silver Bells can you hear per hour before going insane?  It isn't the shoppers that drive store clerks mad, it's the constant repetition of the muzak!

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2007, 07:42:22 AM »

Thank you, DR SWoody. That sounds easy and yummy.
You're quite welcome.

Oh, the white sauce can be flavored, if you like, with a bay leaf, or any other herb or spice for that matter.  Nutmeg is a classic addition, but use freshly grated from a whole nut, not the stuff you find pre-grated in a jar, because there really is a difference in the flavor.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »

The chestnuts, which boiled in their shells in a trice, should be cool enough for peeling now.

(Maestro, cue up the stripper music!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »

Nope, the shells on the chestnuts just don't want to peel away.  Drat.  Back in the hot water they go.

(Maestro, let the band take five.)

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2007, 07:56:10 AM »

I'm heading down now to get an early start on the day's viewing. And since there's no mail delivery today, nothing to hope for in that department.

WBBL.

Miss Karen

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2007, 08:17:07 AM »

Just wanted to log in and tell all you dear HHWers and your special others happiest of Happy Thanksgiving!

TOD: I love Thanksgiving (and that from a non-baker, non-cooker ta boot), so I haven't had a bad one yet. My favorite memories are those of Thankskgiving as a child at my grandparents' home out in the country in Texas. Great food and lots of family around -- cousins, aunts, uncles, etc -- sitting at the kids' table, and hikes out in the woods.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:18:08 AM by Miss Karen »

Miss Karen

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2007, 08:22:49 AM »

Case is home for the holiday and we got all of our favorite recipes completed yesterday, so we can relax while DH does the dressing and bird this morning. Actually, that should be birds, he's going with cornish game hens instead of turkey this year.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2007, 08:27:53 AM »

I agree about the X-mas music.

td

• td
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »

I'll begin with Nancy LaMott's "Just in Time for Christmas."   :D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2007, 08:32:26 AM »

Re the parade and the shows being performed: I find the dance floor way too busy and distracting. The dancers get lost in the busy-ness of the floor.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2007, 08:33:46 AM »

I agree about the X-mas music.

Whenever I've worked in retail, and I've done quite a lot of it, I've loved the constant barrage of Christmas Muzak between late November and early January. My critics might say that explains a lot of myy arrangements, but if I have to deal with a hostile or difficult public, I'drather enjoy the background music and tune them out.

Is anyone planning on taping/DVR-ing the TCM broadcast of the little-shown film of  THE HAPPY TIME this evening?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2007, 08:42:01 AM »

The story goes that the male turkey was nicknamed "Tom" by Benjamin Franklin as a not very flattering reference to Thomas Jefferson

My little nephew once told me that Ben Franklin "invented" the turkey!
 :D
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2007, 08:45:52 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all the wonderful DR's. You all give me much to be thankful for.

And I'm especially gratefully to our own bk, who has created the most popular site on the internet and has given us all many reasons to be thankful!

I hope you feel the love, and knowledge that you are responsible for many friendships by creating such a welcoming and fun forum.

Thank you!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »

Male turkeys are also called "gobblers."

8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2007, 08:48:43 AM »

My little nephew once told me that Ben Franklin "invented" the turkey!
 :D
The key obviously comes from when he discovered electricity.  Where did he get the tur?

;D

Edisaurus

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2007, 08:48:51 AM »

I am also thankful that we finally got a little RAIN!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »

A happy holiday to everyone on HHW!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »

The chestnuts have been peeled.  It's a good thing I'm doing them as a puree, and not whole, because a lot of them broke apart.

I had a wonderful lot of little chestnut chips to nibble on, of course.

Edisaurus

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2007, 08:50:22 AM »

Off to make the rounds---have fun, y'all!

Edisaurus

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2007, 08:52:07 AM »

The key obviously comes from when he discovered electricity.  Where did he get the tur?

;D
e?

Tur spelled backwards is rut...most unseemly.

And don't you wonder how boneless turkeys reproduce?

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »

Most memorable Thanksgiving was back in the 80s. I was invited to my sister Sue and family's house for the holiday. My sister is notorious for changing plans and giving little or no notice.

Well, at some point between the time she told me Thanksgiving was going to be at their house, and that actual day, they all decided to spend Turkey day at Mount Hood skiing...only they forgot to tell me. So I showed up at their house and spent Thanksgiving with their dog Cindy! LOL!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:52:48 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2007, 08:54:04 AM »

Thanksgiving as a little kid was always fun...lots of family around and the cousins and I always spent the day playing board games and watching movies on TV.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »

Good morning, everyone, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

My favorite Thanksgivings were at my aunt and uncle's house--yes, JRAND, my director-of-photography uncle and his wife. I was always very fond of my aunt and uncle, said aunt was a good cook, said aunt and uncle had a very nice, spacious home, which I LOVED (BK and I drove by on our Kritzer tour). As I related last year, I was an only child and amused myself by reading my aunt's Vogue magazines (I did a short stint as a fashion designer some years later) and reading my uncle's old scripts, which were always kept in a pile in the den closet. My uncle and my dad, who also worked in the studios, would talk shop while my aunt and mother gossiped. The gossip didn't interest me, though some of the shop-talk did. Mostly I had my nose in a magazine or scrip--that is, when we weren't eating. I do miss those days.

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2007, 08:59:29 AM »

Today's holiday will be at my sister's once again (I verified it!), but I don't need to be there until around 2 or 3pm...so will finish up my Bollywood movie from last night...........

....then take a nap and if it warms up might even do some yardwork to clean things up from the storm last week.

Then off to Turkey and all that good stuff!

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

While I love the family celebrations here at our home and at the homes of other relatives, one of my fondest memories is of Thanksgiving 1977 (30 years ago - yikes!).  My librarian friend Becky and I were both still single and decided to go to New York City for the holiday weekend.  We saw 5 Broadway shows, went to Radio City Music Hall and the Guggenheim Museum, and attended the Macy's parade.  A family from New Jersey also at the parade offered to "adopt" us for the holiday - the mom thought we were being very adventuresome.  We had Thanksgiving dinner at Mamma Leone's.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:11:30 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up