Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: HAPPY NEW YEAR - 2008!  (Read 38115 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HAPPY NEW YEAR - 2008!
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2008, 09:42:43 AM »

Of course I need to de-groggify because I slept like a log-gify.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

...TOD:
  SLAP SHOT
  BREAKING AWAY
  DAMN YANKEES
  BULL DURHAM
Not to mention the entire stack of tapes waiting by your VCR!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »

...Remember when there were only six one-minute commercials for every hour of TV and often, you got the host doing the commercial live.
And if you were watching on Sunday Morning, the commercial was done by the heavenly host!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »

We had guests over last night and played a very fun new Cranium game called Pop 5.  Then Betsy and I watched Kathy Griffin.  It was fun to guess the chronology of the shows based upon her nose and other facial reconstruction surgery.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2008, 09:59:20 AM »

I'm listening to a very fun Time Life compendium of "Exotica," featuring the usual suspects (Denny, Baxter) along with some rarer stuff.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »

The DH and I just watched the Jerry Herman documentary, and it is dynamite!  :)  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »

For tonight's dinner, I've already planned to serve der Brucer a nice piece of ham, some sauteed spinach, and...

[size=20]HOPPIN' JOHN.[/size]

He's going to protest this, I know.  He does not care for Hoppin' John, not even a whit.

However, last year I failed to make Hoppin' John, as the store ran out of black eyed peas in any form or kind.  And der Brucer did not have very good luck throughout the year of 2007.

So, just to be on the safe side, I've already purchased a can of black eyed peas.

I've also found a different recipe, in the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook, which calls for black eyed peas, rice, pepper (both black and red), and crushed tomato!  Some purists may scoff, but I think it will make for an interesting variation.

And, hopefully, for better luck in 2008.

singdaw

« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »

Time to make lunch.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2008, 10:03:15 AM »

I have never heard of Hoppin' John, SWW...

I plan on making turkey potpie
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JMK

« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »

The DH and I just watched the Jerry Herman documentary, and it is dynamite!  :)  :)

I agree--and the DVD has some nice extras on it, including the complete footage (beautifully filmed, incredibly) of Herman's 1955 college production number.  What kind of school filmed their musicals in 1955?   ???

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »

Hoppin' John is essentially a Southern tradition, where eating some on New Year's Day ensures good luck through the next year.

There are variations on the tradition, of course.  Some say that you also have to have greens, because the greens ensure bills while the peas only give you pennies.  This strikes me as being terribly greedy.

There's another tradition that says eating saurkraut on New Years Day also guarantees good luck.  But I serve up saurkraut at other times of the year, baked slowly in the oven with pork, so I'm sticking with the Hoppin' John.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »

Time to get to work

(Another catch-phrase)

I'm blaming Jose.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »

Good morning and Happy New Year!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2008, 10:25:34 AM »

I just heard from our DR Jose. Beulah's back in town.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2008, 10:30:22 AM »

Is it because I'm a lesbian?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2008, 10:32:33 AM »

Good Afternoon!

As DR elmore just recently reported/posted... I'm ba-ack!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8]

HAPPY

NEW

YEAR

2008!

[/size]
[/color][/shadow][/glow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »

I frankly can't remember the second catch-phrase I "gifted" y'all with.  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

Is it because I'm a lesbian?

In SPITE of that!    ;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »

WElcome back Jose.... Glad you have a safe journey from Richmond...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »

If I could wish one thing for 2008 that would have universal meaning, it would be for folks to consider the "unexpressed thought" more often...and remove tons of verbal diarrhea from the internet and the air waves.

;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2008, 10:38:29 AM »

And I've already unpacked my bags and put everything away - well, I do have to put a few shirts on some hangers, but that's really all there is to do.  -Doing my laundry yesterday was a very smart thing to do.  :)  And since I had done a good amount of tidying up and cleaning before I left for Richmond, I'm basically starting 2008 off in a very clean and semi-organized state.

And thankfully(?), I do not have another apartment's bathroom above my room - like my roomies upstairs do.  Apparently, the bathroom in Apartment 2 overflowed, and the water continued to overflow into the walls and ceiling of the upstairs bathroom.  :-\  *And I just have to wonder just how and why it would take whoever is in Apartment two so long to notice that they had a water issue in their bathroom?!?!?  -Unless they had flushed on the way out the door...  In any case, it's not a pretty sight right now, and, of course, in true "landlord fashion", when the handyman was called to look at the damage, he said he could not do anything right then and there since we needed to fill in a work request. SHEESH!?!!?

But, again, my room is fine.  And Jim's room is fine.  And the middle room is fine.  However, some of that water also crept into the other roomie's room, so... ;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:39:06 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »

When I posted my last post of the official time clock, there were only 20 posts on page 1, but it took so long to post that another 11 posts were made by the time I started writing this post!  Something is wrong with my computer.  >:(

It was still fun to see.  I didn't realize there was an official clock that read 00:00. 8)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »

THe NHL is playing a game outside today...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »

Ron, incredible sunset!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »

Well, I should put on a nicer shirt and get ready to head out.  I believe I have a New Year's Day Meal to attend this afternoon.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »

Just stubbed my little toe and it is the same one I broke a number of years ago... Man, it hurts....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »

Well, I should put on a nicer shirt and get ready to head out.  I believe I have a New Year's Day Meal to attend this afternoon.  :)

Enjoy!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »

Oh, there was one other "surprise" waiting for me in the stack of my mail.  Well, not waiting for me.  You would think that I would have been paid for all the work I did in 2007 in 2007!  I mean, if someone was given four weeks to process an invoice at the end of the year, don't you think they would try to get that done so that all the books line up?  Ah, well..  Guess I have to make a phone call or two tomorrow.

However, three other "things" were waiting for me in my stack of mail, so...  :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »

Ron, incredible sunset!

It was magical.  I'm amazed that the picture captured it so well!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17   Go Up