Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OLD MAN IS SNORING  (Read 29863 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE OLD MAN IS SNORING
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »

That can hurt!  And they recommend not sitting too close when watching television, too!

;D

Quite right, Woody!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2008, 10:06:34 AM »

thanks, der B, for the PBS shop link last night (Jerry Herman documentary). I sometimes forget about the PBS Shop; I automatically go to Amazon. Netflix doesn't have it yet. They're sometimes a bit slow.

Although, if you'd like to buy it from Amazon...

Words and Music by Jerry Herman

However, supporting PBS by buying it from PBS Shop is a worthy retail alternative.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »

I woke up almost every thirty minutes during sleep time.  Why?  Because, as with the night before, the rain started and stopped every thirty minutes like clockwork.  It was very amusing if you're amused by that sort of thing.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »

The skies are gray out, but the rain seems to be on a break.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »

And, if you hadn't noticed, I'm up.  I had a phone call early this morning, asking me to do another writer's workshop panel, but as a director.  Frankly, I'd rather do it as a writer, but I'll probably say yes.  It's in early Feb, just before the Hollywood Collector's Show, which I'll be doing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2008, 10:09:07 AM »

Qusasi TOD:
I discovered Dame Edna late one night on PBS. I think another show had just ended, rather than waiting for a show to start. But imagine my surprise! I was glued to the set, as they say.

Spooky....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »

Good morning, all! Our choir had an after-christmas party where I hors' d'ourve'd myself to death.
RIP, DR Singingnymph.  Hope you feel better soon, or at least get a part on a television series about someone immortal.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »

However, supporting PBS by buying it from PBS Shop is a worthy retail alternative.

Thanks, Jose. It is in my Amazon cart, but I'll give Netflix a few weeks to see if they get it in.

Re PBS: I used to be a huge fan, but my local PBS station, WETA, has had sooo many management blunders that I've really lost much of my affinity to them. Wonderful programming, yes. Totally incompetent station management, demonstrated over and over. When I moved to this area I was overjoyed with the wonderful programming. But that is now a thing of the past. I know that they've lost $$$ due to Federal cut-backs, but they've also alienated so many people here due to their incompetence. If I say--and I often do--that the station seems to be run by a handful of interns, well, that's not fair to the interns.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2008, 10:15:13 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »

I have my projected Budget for 2008, my set design for ALL MY SONS, a brochure for the costume committee, and a smile, so I am off to the first Board Meeting of PCPH for 2008.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »

Thanks, Jose. It is in my Amazon cart, but I'll give Netflix a few weeks to see if they get it in.

Re PBS: I used to be a huge fan, but my local PBS station, WETA, has had sooo many management blunders that I've really lost much of my affinity to them. Wonderful programming, yes. Totally incompetent station management, demonstrated over and over. When I moved to this area I was overjoyed with the wonderful programming. But that is now a thing of the past. I know that they've lost $$$ due to Federal cut-backs, but they've also alienated so many people here due to their incompetence. If I say--and I often do--that the station seems to be run by a handful of interns, well, that's not fair to the interns.

Ah...  Well, WETA was my PBS affiliate for a number of years too, and I totally agree with you in regards to their floundering lack of quality.  I knew they were on the way down when they started taping the pledge breaks.  Of course, they work the first time you broadcast the show, but the second, third... fifth... sixth... UGH!  -Alas, PBS now tapes national broadcast pledge breaks for most of their programs.

Of course, what really did it for me was when the radio end of WETA went through their "all news" phase.  Which ended up sooooo backfiring on them in regards to local support - figurative and financial(!).

...And funny how they moved out of that "shack" on Four Mile Run Drive, and into a brand new headquarters for them in Shirlington a couple of years ago...  I guess they must have been receiving some pledges then.  :-\

*Although, I have to admit that the rather luxurious HQs of PBS and NPR in downtown DC also "puzzle" me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »

DR Jeanne - And just what is Robert Aubrey Davis up to nowadays?  ;)

*I still remember his off-the-cuff comment about "walking funny" after he had seen Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves".  The pregnant pause from the rest of the panel was priceless!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »

I ordered mine from CD Universe.

I'm back from Toyland.  No puppet show but I did get some research accomplished concerning "Lady of the Slipper" cast credits.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »

Another Day, Another Destiny: Broadway Revival of Les Miz Closes.

There are a slew of closings today:

Les Miserables
Cyrano de Bergerac
- The Kevin Kline, Jennifer Garner revival
Cymbeline
The Glorious Ones
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical

Plus, it's Fantasia's last day in The Color Purple.

*And last Sunday saw the closing of The Drowsy Chaperone, with Spelling Bee the next one up to close in a few weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »

DR JRand - Did you sit through the whole movie, or just sneak in for the last 15 minutes (after seeing another feature)? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »

Well, I need to get ready to head out.  I'm meeting up with a friend who shocked me last night with some, well, rather shocking news.  Unfortunately, it's one of those situations where he has to be the one to make the decision to move on - and to actually do it - while I'm on the sideline feeling sort of helpless.  -It's "so Oprah" for lack of a better way to describe it.  In any case, he wants to talk about it, so I guess that's a good sign.  So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:14 AM »

...And funny how they moved out of that "shack" on Four Mile Run Drive, and into a brand new headquarters for them in Shirlington a couple of years ago...  I guess they must have been receiving some pledges then.  :-\

*Although, I have to admit that the rather luxurious HQs of PBS and NPR in downtown DC also "puzzle" me.

I don't wish to put PBS in the same category of the United Way, BUT I remember when many of us supported the United Way, only to be SHOCKED--shocked, I tell you--to learn of their trips to the caribbean, etc some years ago.

Ironically, much of WETA's problems don't require money to fix. They do require some common sense and courtesy, both sadly lacking.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »

DR Jeanne - And just what is Robert Aubrey Davis up to nowadays?  ;)

*I still remember his off-the-cuff comment about "walking funny" after he had seen Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves".  The pregnant pause from the rest of the panel was priceless!

Robert Aubrey Davis is, IMO, one of the gems of WETA. I ran into him on the street one day in Shirlington and wanted to throw my arms around him and tell him how wonderful he is. I didn't; somehow that didn't seem like a suitable introduction. Around Town was reduced to a 3-minute blurb just before the News Hour, which, despite the brevity, actually works fairly well. Sometimes RAD hosts it, sometimes not. I don't know what else he's doing these days. I listen to NPR every morning; if he's around at all I'm not aware of it. I haven't checked the website, though.

(I do know Terry Smith, former media correspondent for the News Hour. Funnily, I ran into him at Penn Station last Sept in NY, but didn't have time to chat. Our paths cross from time to time. Next time I see him I may ask him about RAD and other WETA insights in general.)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »

I ordered mine from CD Universe.

Duly noted.

singdaw

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »

THE THREE WISE GUYS[/size]

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:13:44 PM by singdaw »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »

Before I get ready for work, just a note for anyone out there who prefers non-fiction television:

Iron Chef America has three episodes tonight: Morimoto vs. Wolfgang Puck, Flay vs. Ming Tsai, and Batali vs. Jamie Oliver.  The fun starts at 8 pm.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2008, 11:22:18 AM »

Is one of the three wise men wearing a button down collar?  Who knew!   ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »

I love games! Is this "Find the straight man in this photo?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »

;D

Ah, DR elmore3003...you make me laugh and laugh!

And you also happen to be right on the money!

singdaw

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »

I was listening to my "Sondheim at the Movies" CD today, produced by our own bk, and with glorious orchestrations by our own DR elmore3003.

DR elmore, curious about what you had to work from on the "Evening Primrose" material.  Did you get a piano/vocal chart of the songs, or did you get more than that to work with?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »

DR singdaw - YEAH!  There was a camera!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »

Is "D: None of the above." a choice?
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »

A good friend of mine just got a new household pet.  Isn't it cute?   ;)

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2008, 11:42:14 AM »

DRsingshaw, it's a nice photo, actually.

Do you all know what the world needs? I'll tell you.  It's a good book revealing accurately the sexual peccadilloes of the American Theatre in the first half of the 20th Century.  Like Henry Willson's clients, in which the person telling the story tells about all the actors having sex for representation with Henry but never the narrator of the tale, I'm finding that researching all of these folk from the early 20th Century performing arts is a maze of lies and concealment.  One would gather from several of Ruth Gordon's books that the casting couch was rife in 1917 (PG Wodehouse and Guy Bolton claim that young ladies get minks the way minks get minks), and there are lots of stories about producers, agents, and actresses. There was clearly, from the newspaper articles, a lot of whoredom going on amongst the BABES IN TOYLAND company.

I've heard rumors that David Montgomery of Montgomery & Stone, Elsie Janis, Maude Adams, Charles Frohman, and over half the peple I'm researching were gay but it's all so covert.  I believe Eva LeGallienne was the first "outed" lesbian and that's because her lover's husband accused Eva in the divorce of stealing Josephine Hutchinson from him.  Elsie Janis' mother ran about with Bessie Marbury, producer with Ray Comstock of the Princess Theatre, and other lesbians, according to the book "Passing Performances" but, even in such a covert period, there's got to be more info on backstage and casting sexual politics in early 20th Century American Theatre.  God knows there's certainly enough about the film industry.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »

D.)  None of the above
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up