Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OLD MAN IS SNORING  (Read 30056 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE OLD MAN IS SNORING
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:20:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of old men and snoring, and now it is time for you to post until the old snoring cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:04:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE OLD MAN IS SNORING
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRIABLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:22:28 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to brettyspaghetti, wherever he may be.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »

Happy Birthday to (former?) BrettySpaghetti!  He hasn't posted since April 24th of this year.  I think someone else mentioned that his blog hasn't been updated since August 31. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:32:45 AM »

I hope he is well. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:37:21 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.

George

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:58:59 AM »

Today is also Bonnie Franklin's birthday. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 01:06:04 AM »

Perhaps it is time for the bedroom environment.

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS are in order for DR Ron Pulliam on his lofty new posting milestone!!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 02:20:42 AM »

DR Ginny beat me to it, but thanks to DR JoseSPiano for the update on E&T DR Jason.  Glad he is well and looking forward to seeing him back here.

singdaw

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 02:22:56 AM »

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/size][/color]
to E&T DR BrettySpaghetti!!![/size][/color]

singdaw

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 02:23:51 AM »

Thanks for the Groban clip, DR FJL!

singdaw

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 02:25:06 AM »

I am glad that DR TCB is discovering the delights of Warlow!

singdaw

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 02:25:34 AM »

Well, at least his singing, anyway.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 04:56:47 AM »

Happy birthday to former dear reader BrettySpaghetti, if he's reading this, that is.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 04:57:08 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 05:55:46 AM »

Good morning, all! I was up way too late reading MARTHA, INC., one tough lady.  I occasionally watch the Martha Stewart Show and now I'm waiting for one of her Jekyll-Hyde turns.  Since I'd just seen her holiday show on how her first book was published, it was strange reading an alternate reality account in MARTHA, INC.

I'm also into Pete Hamill's wonderful FOREVER, and I'm wondering what sort of litigation, if any, is going on behind camera with the upcoming tv series "New Amsterdam," which appears similar to Mr Hamill's novel about a man living forever on the island of Manhattan.

Today? Toyland for some reference checks on personnel with "The Lady of the Slipper," then a continuation of my current existence: the LoS notes and the IRS prep.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 05:58:12 AM »

I am glad that DR TCB is discovering the delights of Warlow!

There are at least two commercial DVDs of Mr Warlow in performance that I recommend:

One, a Johann Strauss operetta, transferred from 1874 Vienna to 1930s Manhattan.  The concept works rather well, and the translation and production are funny enough.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 06:04:51 AM »

And t'other? Two works by Gilbert & Sullivan, the much-overrated HMS PINAFORE whose glorious score and lousy denouement work for others far better than for me, and TRIAL BY JURY, forty minutes of legal nonsense, casting couch success, opportunism and gold-digging of the highest order.

I wish Opera Australia in their production of FLEDERMAUS had used for their dialogue Sir WS Gilbert's translation of Meilhac's and Halevy's Reveillon, the play upon which FLEDERMAUS (or is it Fledermaus?) is based.  It is veddy British, but funny.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:05:19 AM by elmore3003 »

FJL

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 06:09:29 AM »

Larry, the idea of someone living forever seems to have been around for a while.  I remember a series called THE IMMORTAL many years ago.  

Other than the idea of  a person living forever, which basic idea must be in the public domain, are there any similarities anyone's heard of between the novel and TV series besides they're just happening to take place in Manhattan?

EDIT:  THE WIKIPEDIA ENTRY ON THE TV SERIES DESCRIBES THE POSSIBLE ISSUE BETWEEN THE HAMILL BOOK AND THE TV SERIES.
(link doesn't seem to work, but google "Pete hamill" "new amsterdam")
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:15:33 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 06:34:44 AM »

DR FJL, the premise and set up are too close to a book written in 2002.  I doubt the writer went any further back into literature (well, maybe Rip Van Winkle since the tv character is Dutch rather than Hamill's Irish one). Also, in most "immortal" literature the person's a vampire, and in both novel and tv premises the gift of immortality is a reward for saving someone.

Whether or not Pete Hamill wants to fight is his choice. I was only wondering if any sort of litigation was going on since the show was supposed to debut last fall and was then postponed.  Perhaps it's being overhauled to remove more poins of similarity? And then there's this strike . . .

FJL

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 06:37:04 AM »

Larry, see the edit in my post above if you haven't seen it.  Wikipedia discusses the issue, albeit briefly.  Googling "pete hamill" "new amsterdam" will bring up stuff on the issue.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 06:39:26 AM »

Larry, see the edit in my post above if you haven't seen it.  Wikipedia discusses the issue, albeit briefly.  Googling "pete hamill" "new amsterdam" will bring up stuff on the issue.

I did; I got the impression you were defeding the screenwriter and producers and I think they're all consciously ripping off Pete Hamill, claiming coincidence.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 06:41:08 AM »

I'm not ducking and running, but I must get myself to Toyland before the puppet show.  Perhaps they'll do "The Randy Vicar and the Fat Conductor of Limited Talent and Limitless Ego."  One of the few puppet tragedies.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:41:25 AM by elmore3003 »

FJL

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:36 AM »

Oh, I had added the "edit" in caps to show that you were right that there is an issue out there in the world.  

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRIABLE!

And The Song Of The Day Is: I WANNA BE AROUND

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »

Good morning!

COld this morning but warm this afternoon, and we're going to be up near 70 on Monday and Tuesday. Life in the South is amazing weather-wise.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 07:26:50 AM »

I could have told you what TCM would say about SKIDOO.

I had the same predicament with THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE. When they showed it the first time I tried to record it, it was pan and scan. I immediately wrote them about it and the answer I received was that the P&S was what the distributor whom they license from sent them. That is wasn't their fault but the fault of the company supplying the prints. They assured me that they would try their utmost to get a proper correctly framed print for their next showing.

The next time they showed it, it was the correct Panavision version.

So writing does help and let's see what they present the next time SKIDOO comes up in the rotation.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »

I am looking forward to DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES this evening, and I guess I'll watch CASHMERE MAFIA just to sample it. Not sure I'll stay with it once it moves to its regular time period.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 07:30:55 AM »

This afternoon I'll be watching OSWALD'S GHOST. I noticed in the press materials that the show will premiere on PBS on January 14th and then the DVD will be available on the 15th, similar to how PBS handled the Jerry Herman PBS program. (Why I didn't get a review copy of the Jerry Herman DVD is a continuing mystery).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up