Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOP TEN BRAIN  (Read 30590 times)

Ben

Re:THE TOP TEN BRAIN
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 05:28:05 AM »

So here we are.

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »

And it's almost time to change (a Brady Bunch reference)

I was SO disappointed when they filtered out "Peter's" vocal on the CD release!   :-\

Ben

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 05:39:07 AM »

I saw November on Wednesday. I was disappointed. The performances are excellent but I don't care for the play. I am not a big fan of David Mamet and this play just furthers my belief that (IMHO) he is overrated. After a while the use of the "F" word loses all meaning. The play runs an hour and 45 minutes and you don't go ten minutes at a time without hearing the "F" word in many different forms, with "er", in plural form, as a gerund, take your pick. I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination and I can curse with the best of them but come on, is that all you can say? Perhaps he's doing it because it's his trademark. I don't know, I just know that while there are some very funny lines and excellent performances (Nathan Lane really is wonderful) the play does not add up for me. It's trite, crass, vulgar and like a sitcom (in a bad way). A sitcom that can use the "F" word. The audience around me was eating it up and I did laugh, more at the beginning but as the evening wore on I grew tired of the repetition. I knew I was in trouble when I looked at my watch, twice!

I have higher hopes for Is He Dead?

August Osage County got phenomenal reviews so it's no longer available on TDF but it is on TKTS and there are various discounts available so I will try to see it sometime in February. I just have reservations because although it's been reviewed as the best new play on Broadway in years and all the performers have been glowingly praised, I know the subject matter (and it's also 3 and a half hours long beginning at 7:30pm to get out at 11) and I don't take well to cretinous people screaming and being dysfunctional all evening. It's being compared to O'Neill and Long Day's Journey (which I love) but I shall make my own judgement.

And now, back to Gordon and Betty Moore.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 05:40:14 AM by Ben »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 06:18:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: IMPRIMATUR!

And The Song Of The Day Is : YOU'RE THE TOP

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:05 AM »

Good morning!

Rainy but warm this morning (warmer outside than inside, I thought), but this may be the last of our warm days for awhile. Five day forecast seems to suggest a cooling trend.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »

I had a little trouble getting on the site this morning, but ten minutes later, I got on just fine. Don't know what the problem was. It might have been on my end of the internet.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 07:37:55 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - THE MUSIC MAN (original London cast)

DVD - THE ODD COUPLE, discs 2-3
          BLADE RUNNER (Blu-ray) if I can get to it

DVR - last night's MY NAME IS EARL
          last night's 30 ROCK
          last night's CSI

td

• td
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 07:38:42 AM »

I, too, had trouble getting onto the site this morning.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 07:40:02 AM »

TV Reminder:

PSYCH and MONK begin their winter runs tonight on USA.

New episodes tonight for GHOST WHISPERER, MOONLIGHT, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, LAS VEGAS, and NUMB3RS.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »

I seem to remember BEAUTY AND THE BEAST getting terrible reviews by the NY critics, too. They all cried THEME-PARK! It may well have been, but I found it an enchanting evening in the theater, and I know if I had seen it as a child, I would have been overwhelmed by all the song, dance, and magic.

Undoubtedly, THE LITTLE MERMAID won't have the run that BEAUTY AND THE BEAST had (how many shows will?), but I'd be willing to buy a ticket to see it.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 07:54:13 AM »

The Wall Street Journal critic, while not a total rave, is very very positive about LITTLE MERMAID.  As I said, I'm very pro this show, but it does seems that there are enough postive reviews to suggest that overall, the overnight reviews for MERMAID from the NY-based critics will end up at least a decent bit better than the overall overnight reception of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST over a decade ago, and nowhere near the near-unanimous negative overnight reception for TARZAN.  (What the weekly critics hold for LITTLE MERMAID is obviously unpredictable.)

From Terry Teachout in the Wall street Journal:

Rumors of doom have stalked "The Little Mermaid" ever since its Denver tryout last August, and the whispers grew louder as it swam toward Broadway. So let me start off by answering the big question: The new Disney musical is a charmer. No, it's not "Return of the Lion King," but "The Little Mermaid" passes the ooh-and-aah test with plenty of room to spare. Unlike the inexplicably grumpy "Mary Poppins," "Mermaid" is both visually ingenious and emotionally satisfying, and I expect it to run from here to eternity and back again.

Based on the much-loved 1989 animated feature that breathed new life into the cartoon trade, "The Little Mermaid" is a sugar-sparkled retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's darkly ironic fairy tale about a mermaid with a wandering eye who falls for a human prince and trades her tail and voice for a pair of legs so that she can woo him. In the Disney version, Ariel (Sierra Boggess) gets the guy (Sean Palmer) and lives happily ever after, though not before running afoul of Ursula (Sherie Rene Scott), a scene-stealing octopus who collects "poor unfortunate souls" and wants to put Ariel's on her shelf.

All this is vastly easier to tell--or draw--than it is to put on stage. To start with, how do you turn that stage into a seaful of swimming fish?
Choreographer Stephen Mear solved part of the problem by equipping the underwater members of the cast with Heelys, the popular sneakers with wheels built into the heels, thus allowing them to glide instead of walking. Add to this the long-finned costumes of Tatiana Noginova, the fantastically elaborate sets of George Tsypin and the subaqueous rear projections of Sven Ortel and you get a nonliteral evocation of marine life that is not merely plausible but downright uncanny. Forget the kids: I oohed and aahed like a six-year-old as Ariel floated upward to the ocean's surface and turned into a human....

Miss Karen

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »

(In my best Mae West voice) Hi ya, boys. Are you happy to see me or ...

Hey where are all the girls? (I know Dr SinBad is out of pocket...I wonder which pumps he packed) ...

Miss Karen

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 07:58:31 AM »

Man, you can't be E and T for a second on this site or you're forever clueless ... how am I ever gonna catch up .... yikeys!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »

Former U.S. Nationals Figure Skating champion Christopher ("Bowman the Showman") Bowman is dead.   Read about HERE.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Miss Karen

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »

Wait a minute, I thought DR Sinbad was on a trip ...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »

Man, you can't be E and T for a second on this site or you're forever clueless ... how am I ever gonna catch up .... yikeys!

Ummmm.....hmmmm....how can "you" catch up?   That's a poser!

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 08:05:30 AM »

It's Friday, January 11th.  Man!  This new year is whizzing by!

It's also County of Alameda payday, so "woohoo" to that!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »

I'm having breakfast (bacon/egg sammich on sourdough toast and coffee), and am bracing for much craziness in the office this morning.

I did not come in early, so I have a bunch of little nitpicky things to attend to.  My boss, however, let it slip that she is doing something major.  Only problem is that the thing she is doing is no longer being done the way she remembers it...and I've a feeling it's going to be a LONG morning while she feels it all out (engaging all of her staff in it, too).

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2008, 08:07:51 AM »

Former U.S. Nationals Figure Skating champion Christopher ("Bowman the Showman") Bowman is dead.   Read about HERE.

I read about it this morning in the local newspaper. Meaning no disrespect, but I have to say that I wasn't at all surprised to read this.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »

Now, I need to head downstairs to get cleaned up for my usual Friday outings.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've been caught up in various things this morning: notes in the files on the two Victor Herbert shows, questions concerning 2007 donations for the IRS, and here I am.

My day's two major occupations are already laid out, and I'm off to work.

TOD:
   DVD:  Pickwick Papers (BBC)
   CD:  Kristofer McDowell (I survived Jerome Records!), Hansel and Gretel
   VCR:  short art films
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »

I, too, had trouble getting onto the site this morning.

I had no trouble getting on, but every attempt to "post" takes anywhere from 30-45 seconds.

Miss Karen

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:52 AM »

Let's see ... in picking up on the highlights:

Condolences to DR SingGood ...

But congrats to him on his posting milestone (makes my sad little 3,617 look .... well... sad)...

And enjoyment vibes to him on petting DH's Truffle ...

And Congrats to bk and company on the Top Ten honors...

and sadness to read about Johnny Grant (he shared the Greek Theatre stage with Boo-Key as the key note speaker when Cason gave the valedictory speech at the LACC graduation in '06 .. what great memories that day brings...)

and creative vibes to bk as he works on his new book ...

and green water begone forever vibes ...

and whatever vibes you need to those who need 'em (since it may be a while before I know what some of you have been needing ... well, I can guess -- wink, wink -- but I'll keep the vibes generic for now...)

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:58 AM »

What a sad story.  We saw him skate on a tour in Cincinnati - his "thing" on that tour was to take the ice wearing a T-shirt from a local college.  The place went nuts when he appeared in Xavier swag.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »

TOD:      VCR:  short art films

Is that a euphemism?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »

What a sad story.  We saw him skate on a tour in Cincinnati - his "thing" on that tour was to take the ice wearing a T-shirt from a local college.  The place went nuts when he appeared in Xavier swag.

A terrific raw, natural talent, that guy.  He had no self-discipline, sadly enough.

Miss Karen

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2008, 08:14:03 AM »

Ummmm.....hmmmm....how can "you" catch up?   That's a poser!

;)

One of these days, Alice, I mean, Ronald....

...to the Moon!  :P ;D

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 08:14:25 AM »

And, like DR MattH, I was not surprised to read about Chris Bowman.  Still, it's sad to see talent like he had go to waste.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2008, 08:16:08 AM »

One of these days, Alice, I mean, Ronald....

...to the Moon!  :P ;D

How snarky!   :o     :-*
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:17:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »

TOD:

CD:
YAARAN NAAL BAHARAAN soundtrack

DVD:
A couple of John Abraham movies that arrived in yesterday's mail.

DVR:
This weeks showings of BEAT THE CLOCK, TO TELL THE TRUTH, and I'VE GOT A SECRET.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up