Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOGGING JEW  (Read 23226 times)

Kerry

Re:THE JOGGING JEW
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »

AND------- who recommended the sonar product to Jason to get rid of mice?  Does it really work, and what brnad is it?  A friend was asking and does not want to use the less humane traps or glue strips.
I like boat races.

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2004, 07:47:50 PM »

A difficult post to follow Kerry! Time for me to sign off for a while.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2004, 07:49:15 PM »

I think the sonar worked on Jason.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2004, 07:49:44 PM »

Me too.  Time for bed.  Have a good evening all!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2004, 07:54:08 PM »

DR Kerry - I'm not sure who recommended the units to Jason... But I have two in my apartment in Richmond - they came in a very reasonably priced two-pack at my local Target - and they were on sale too!  Well...  I've had them for almost two years, and they really do seem to do the trick.  For my apartment, the problem was horse crickets - basically harmless - but, boy can they be annoying... and surprising when you turn on the lights in the kitchen at 3:00am to get a glass of water.  -Worst of all, they don't scare easily, so they just sit there like such fish... almost staring at you... "You want me to move?!?!?"... But I digress...  In any case, since I bought the units, I maybe see one of two crickets every two months, and we've never come across a rodent in our apartment - and we also stopped hearing creatures running in the ceiling too.  -Dontcha just love old houses!  So... As for brands, I think it's just going to be a matter of prices and features - mainly what kind of range a single unit has.  I keep one in the kitchen, and one in the front room.  "Technically" - at least from the info on the packaging, one unit could theoretically take care of the whole apartment.  But since it was a two-fer!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2004, 07:54:21 PM »

This is so @#$%&ing bizarre.  I can get to pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 without a problem, but for whatever reason, I cannot access page 6.  Damn them.  Damn them all to hell.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2004, 07:59:11 PM »

All morning long yesterday when I did not have access to the soundtrack of "Music Man," parts of the "Wells Fargo Wagon" kept going through my head. This (along with the rest of the show is deeply ingrained in my brain.  However, i had a senior moment and forgot what Montogomery Wards sent.  "A __________ and a cross-cut saw"

Was it a bathtub?

It was.
Montogomery Ward sent me a bathtub and a cross-cut saw.

In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »

DR Jay - If you're still having problems accessing Page 6 - here's the hyperlink:

http://www.haineshisway.com/community/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=163;start=150

Click and ye shall find... hopefully.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2004, 08:04:11 PM »

OH!  OH!  OH!!  I meant to congratulate The Jogging Jew on his Jogging!  Congrats, BK!  You're a much better man than I am right now.  And I even splurged on some real, really nice running shoes back in early November.  And I've only worn them once... and not for running?!!?  OH!  And as I was packing up my stuff from my parents house post-Camelot, I came across a New Balance shoe box in the closet... with running shoes that I bought last year during South Pacific still in them.. and they've never been worn!

-But, like I said, once I'm back from Memphis... and over 2,000 thousand recipes DR Danise?  That's quite a good deal!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2004, 08:08:59 PM »

I saw Latter Days this afternoon, Dear Readers.  This is a new film about a young Morman missionary who meets and becomes involved with a stereotypical West Hollywood twink.  On one level, this is a traditional boy meets boy romantic story.  (That is, for as traditional as "boy meets boy" can get.)  It's also about turning one's life upside down in the search for personal identity, on the part of both lead characters in the film.  On yet another level, it's a rather damning social commentary on the Morman view of homosexuality (and its degree of acceptance of women and people of color.)  Well delineated dramatic narrative is blended with some very clever humor.  There's also quite an eyeful of passionate lovemaking, which one doesn't necessarily find in your run of the mill film that contains the notion of redemption at its heart.  The two leads (both new to the screen) are quite effective in their roles and Jaqueline Bisset and Mary Kay Place both make significant contributions in supporting roles.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2004, 08:10:09 PM »

After catching up on some reading tonight on the internet... I now have a new favorite name.. well at least last name... and it's a chef too!

Presenting: IAN CHALERMKITTICHAI

"Here Kittichai, Kittichai, Kittichai..."

;)

-Yes, I'm a bit punchy, but, hey, I've been up since 4:00AM - 19 hours so far!!!  Oh, I guess that means I should get to bed soon..
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2004, 08:12:07 PM »

DR Jay - If you're still having problems accessing Page 6 - here's the hyperlink:

http://www.haineshisway.com/community/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=163;start=150

Click and ye shall find... hopefully.

Thank you Dear Reader Jose, but clicking on that link gives me the same #$%^&*#ing error message I was getting before.  I guess page 6 of topic 100 shall forever remain unknown to me.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:([/move]

Jay

« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2004, 08:16:54 PM »

Picking up an a conversation that I saw somewhere before page 6 today...

At the opera, they print the whole freakin' story in the program.  It's never a surprise how things end at the opera.  In other words:

[size=8]La Boheme spoiler!!!    La Boheme spoiler!!!    La Boheme spoiler!!!    La Boheme spoiler!!!    La Boheme spoiler!!!    La Boheme spoiler!!!    La Boheme spoiler!!!    La Boheme spoiler!!!   [/size]

Mimi dies.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 08:18:28 PM by Jay »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2004, 08:17:27 PM »

Thank you Dear Reader Jose, but clicking on that link gives me the same #$%^&*#ing error message I was getting before.  I guess page 6 of topic 100 shall forever remain unknown to me.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:([/move]

Maybe you need to clear your cache?  or just close and reopen your browser... Hmmm ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2004, 08:17:47 PM »

I think it's easier to do the Atkins diet at home. It is not so easy to do it when eating out, since you can't always know what they put in things.  

As for the sypnoses, I agree I often like to know the shows before seeing them. I think it helps me enjoy them more.  But I think people should do whatever they want to do.  The people who like to go in fresh and be surprised, should do that.  But the people who want to know every detail of the show (or who may not ever get the chance to see the show) should read the synopsis.  Say there are major spoilers in it, and let people decide what they want to do.

Jay

« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2004, 08:19:40 PM »

Maybe you need to clear your cache?  or just close and reopen your browser... Hmmm ???

I rebooted several times.  I would clear my cache.  That is, if I knew how to do such a thing.

Jennifer

« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2004, 08:22:02 PM »

DR Jay: If you post a new message from "reply" (not quick reply) you should see most of the messages from page 6 (look under what you're typing).

Jay

« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2004, 08:24:32 PM »

A brilliant idea, Dear Reader Jennifer!  Except that it covers all posts going back to #182.  Which is the third post on page....7.  I appreciate the thought, though.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2004, 08:28:34 PM »

The DVD of PURSUIT TO ALGIERS has a couple of scratches but otherwise looks OK. Took a break from Sherlock Holmes and put in VALLEY OF THE GWANGI. Can I just say that James Fransiscus was one of the great beauties of his day? Good lord, that man was Adonis. I remember being mesmerized by MR. NOVAK on TV, but I never saw YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE which was supposed to be trashy but show him to perfection. Hard to think he could be any more beautiful in HAWKE than he is in this.

As for the DVD of GWANGI, I think the contrast is a little severe, but the colors are certainly deep and the print is very clean that was used for the transfer. I'm about 2/3 of the way through. Had to stop to watch the new MONK episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2004, 08:33:23 PM »

Okay DR Jay: I have another idea. Do you see your link where it says "http://www.haineshis...."

Well where it ends in 180 for page 7. Change that number to 150. And I'll bet it will get you to page 6.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2004, 08:35:06 PM »

I rebooted several times.  I would clear my cache.  That is, if I knew how to do such a thing.

If you're using Windows and Internet Explorer...

-From your Start menu, open up Settings -> Control Panel
-Open Internet Options (double-click)
-Click the General Tab if it's not "clicked" already
-Under "Temporary Internet Files", click "Delete Files"
-Click the "Delete Offline Checkbox" if you like - for most users this should not cause any major "issues" down the line, AND it's a good thing to do if you happen to do a lot internet banking, etc. online.
-Click OK
-Wait a few seconds... or a few minutes as the case may be.
-Once the window goes away, the process is done.
-Open a new browser window... and see what happens.

-Now, these are instructions for Windows 98SE - I don't have enough room on my "ancient" laptop to load Windows XP,  but the general process should be the same.  If all else fails, it should be detailed under the "cache" subheadings in the Help Files.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 08:36:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2004, 08:35:58 PM »

Or for clearing go to tools and click on internet options.  I'm not sure if deleting cookies/or clearing your history is what DR Jose meant.  But I am tempted to just email you page 6 :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2004, 08:39:17 PM »

I'm saying that everyone should see the show, as soon as they can.  I understand that, for some, it will be many years before they see Wicked (tour, Australian premiere, local productions, whatever).

I'm saying that one of the many pleasures of the show are its surprising plot turns.
What you are implying is that seeing the show is the only way to enjoy it.  Balderdash.  I find the score is highly enjoyable as a listening experience, just as hearing the scores to other shows have been before this one.  Knowing the storyline, and how the songs fit into it, makes the score that much more enjoyable.  Also consider: a recording can be enjoyed many times.  Seeing a show is usually a one-shot.  I'd rather enjoy Wicked as much as I can every time I hear the score, rather than wait until that one time I may get to watch the show (which may never occur).
I don't know why Holzman and Schwartz didn't include a synopsis with the CD of Wicked.  But, if I may be so bold, please allow me to assume that the creators of the show don't want their surprising twists revealed.  In fact, that's the only reason I can think of why a synopsis was left out.
As it stands, the booklet runs thirty-six pages.  This is quite bulky for an insert.  The synopsis that DR TD has been sending out runs a a little over four full 8X11 typewritten pages.  Even assuming that a synopsis provided by the producers cut the explanations to a minimum, this would have added several pages to an already thick booklet.  Unless, of course, they were to use a much smaller font, as was done for Sunday in the Park with George, which I have found a source of great eyestrain.  Therefore, space limitations seem a more likely reason for the storyline being MIA.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2004, 08:59:19 PM »

I just watched the dvd of WHALE RIDER!
Those people down under, in this case, New Zealand, sure do know how to make movies!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2004, 09:02:17 PM »

Close out of the Internet.  If you've got Windows in any of it's permutations, go to the "Start" button, which should lead to a menu that includes "Find", which will then lead to a sub-menu that includes "Files or Folders".  Click.  At the prompt, type in "Temporary Internet," and click to find.  This should bring up your Temporary Internet Cache.  Go to "Edit," and "Select All."  Then go to "File" and click on "Delete."

Hopefully, this will give a second question, asking whether or not you want to delete the selected cookies.  As der Brucer and I are using the same computer and some of those cookies are valuable to him, I click on "No."  The program will then run and either delete everything from your cache, or delete everything but your cookies.

I usually try to clear out our cache about once a week.  It just helps things run faster.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2004, 09:02:42 PM »

Heading off to bed now. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the evening, and will converse more this weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2004, 09:06:41 PM »

And before I head to slumberland...

As for knowing shows before seeing them... Isn't this akin to seeing a show for a second.. third.. or fourth time... or even more?  I've seen Sweeney Todd more times than I can remember - fortunately - but each time that "realization" comes in the last scene, I'm always right there with Sweeney as he's discovering it for the first time.  And the many times I've cried during Don Quixote's final "Dulcinea"...  Or the belly-laughs I get from the axe-passing scene in Noises Off... And the "gasp" at the end of act one of Proof.

Yes, there are people who like to be totally surprised when they go to see something - not listened to the cast recording, not read the script, not read the reviews, etc.

Yes, there are people who like to go in with some sort of preparation for what they are about to see.

And, more often than not, there are those people who first fell in love with the show from the original cast album - or even a televised/taped broadcast - or just a script - and then get to go to a theatre to see the show live on stage - in NYC, in LA, in Chicago, at a college, at a local community theatre, or even a high school!  And the magic begins again!

And if the "ideal" way to see a show is just to go in "blind" - twists or no twists, then I have a feeling audience attendance would be way down across the nation.  Not good for playwrights, not good for composers, not good for actors, not good for musicians...

And, finally, DR Panni, thank you for mentioning Andras Schiff.  He's one of my favorite pianists - his Bach playing is extraordinary!  *Actually, some times it overwhelms me since his voicing is at times too good, too clearly delineated, my mind goes into overload listening to all the nuances in each of the lines.  I first came across his playing via an album at the Arlington County Public Library.  It paired Bach's Goldberg Variations with Ginastera's First Piano Sonata - how I LOVE that piece!  (And I played it too on my graduation recital - <pat on the back>)  Interesting pairing, and great playing.  Hmmm.. I always keep meaning to see if his Ginastera has ever been released on CD... I guess I know where I'm browsing over to after I finish this...

And to all a Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2004, 09:07:07 PM »

OZ press will probably try and claim "Whale Rider" now. There was probably an Australian making lunches for the crew. I suspect that many Australians still think "The Piano" was an Australian film. Did you notice any hobbits in the background shots td? For an excellent film IMHO I can recommend the NZ film "Once Were Warriors". My foster mother's step mother was from NZ. Does that mean I am hobbit related? I am height challenged.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2004, 09:15:03 PM »

Oh - and I keep forgetting...

As for Wicked's CD booklet... I'm guessing the lack of "extras" in the booklet may in part be due to the relatively fast turn around time from recording to release.  Or maybe not...  *I do love the packaging for the Little Shop revival recording - although some sort of explanation and/or background on the bonus demo tracks would have been nice - or am I just not seeing them?!?!

And once again...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 09:15:58 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2004, 09:19:18 PM »

OZ press will probably try and claim "Whale Rider" now. There was probably an Australian making lunches for the crew. I suspect that many Australians still think "The Piano" was an Australian film. Did you notice any hobbits in the background shots td? For an excellent film IMHO I can recommend the NZ film "Once Were Warriors". My foster mother's step mother was from NZ. Does that mean I am hobbit related? I am height challenged.

Well, you will have noticed that I have no longer mistaken New Zealand for Australia  ;)
Actually, during WHALE RIDER, it dawned on my that THE PIANO was also a New Zealand product - the Maori et al reminded me.
I saw no hobbits, but, being mythologically-imparied, I might not have noticed one had there been one   ;)
I did see a pod of whales. . some real, some not, but all beautifully photographed. . .
I yet to see ONCE WERE WARRIORS, but shall certainly look into it.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up