Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOGGING JEW  (Read 23249 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE JOGGING JEW
« on: January 30, 2004, 12:07:23 AM »

Very well then, you've read today's notes, you are with it and happening and in the loop, you are in the know and ahead of the curve, so it's time for posting whilst being in the know.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE JOGGING JEW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 12:37:16 AM »

New notes who?

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL SHAYNE!![/move]

And did you notice that there's another milestone with today's notes:  it's the 100th "Daily Discussions" topic on the revamped (notice I didn't say "new") board!  On to the 200th...then the 1000th!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 12:39:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 02:18:27 AM »

I'm not sure I like BK putting down Wussenbergs.  I went to college with Robert Wussenberg.  I happen to like the fellow.  So there!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HappyBirthdayMichael[size=10]Shayne![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 02:26:03 AM »

There's nothing new on any of our electronic equipment.  We're still waiting for the moving van to arrive, so we can have old stuff on our electronic equipment.  *sigh*

But der Brucer and I have agreed that neither of us is technogeek enough to want a wide screen television over adding to our DVD collection.  We have our priorities, it seems.

That, and we had a marvy conversation with one of the waitresses at the Purple Parrot this evening, whose name is Violet.  (There's something appropriate about that.  The other woman who works there is named Heather, which is also coloristically right.)  Violet got us wonderfully snockered on Rob Roys.  I can't wait until we get to talk with her again, because she knows lots of local history and makes a great Rob Roy!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 02:47:06 AM »

And BK, next time you're doing a recipe day, could you give me a little warning ahead of time?  I felt like I was having to scramble a bit with yesterday's posts.

Let's try for one more, just to keep people salivating:

Won Ton Soup (or at least one version) serving six.

In a food processor, pulse 6 water chestnuts, 1/4 lb lean pork (minced), 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, 2 t cornstarch, and 1 t Asian sesame oil until well blended.  This should be enough to fill 24 won tons.

Lay out 24 won ton skins.  Spoon about 1/2 t filling in the center of each won ton.  Brush the edges lightly with 1 egg, beaten with 1 T water, and fold the corners over to make a triangle, enclosing the filling.  Press the edges well to seal.  Dab a little egg wash on one corner and stick it to the opposite corner, making a "little hat".  (Think of it as an Asian tortellini!)  Place the won tons on a floured cookie sheet and cover with a clean towel.

MEANWHILE, take 3 cups chicken stock, flavored with a slice of fresh ginger, a chopped scallion, and 2 t soy sauce, and bring to a simmer.

In a separate pot, bring 10 c water to a boil.  Add won tons, cook until they rise to the surface, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked won tons to the simmering soup.

Spoon 4 won tons to each of 6 soup bowls, and ladle the hot broth over the won tons.  Garnish with a drizzle of Asian sesame oil and some minced scallions, and serve.

By the way, we ended up not having the brisket.  We agreed it would take too long to braise, and have put it off for a day.  (But it will happen, with potato pancakes and applesauce!  And we aren't Jewish, or joggers!)  Instead, we ended up at the Rehoboth Diner and had wonderful diner food, along with dish from our waitress, who is named Rose.  Another flower!  What is it with waitresses names in this town?

Michael

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 04:08:51 AM »

Thanks for all the good wishes, but my birthday is tomorrow. BUT actually I won't be around tomorrow as I am off to Orlando. Some friends are taking me to Universal Studios for the weekend.

ALSO today is the 100TH POST of the new board!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 05:29:26 AM »

Michael Shayne, Happy Day a day early. Enjoy Orlando

You made post number 24,247.

MG: So sorry to hear about the sad things. I hope  your birthday made it a little bit better.

A nicer couple than Kerry and MG you could not find, even with the help of Sherlock Holmes.

And now I will post a final picture (or two) of our trip to England. As I have said many times, we had a most wonderful and amazing time. The end of the trip, however, turned into a real treat because we were UPGRADED to Business Class with "truly flat beds" as the adverts say. Don't know why we were upgraded but we were and we were not going to complain. Here is a picture of us, taken by the very accomodating flight attendant, enjoying our sumputous dinner on real china with alcohol and drinks in real glasses (no real flatware but we didn't expect that). What an experience.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 05:31:01 AM »

We also had private entertainment centers with a choice of about 18 movies, a phone with a screen on which we could play our choice of games, radio shows, television shows and as I mentioned, very attentive flight attendants. We were feeling a little down because our special trip was over but this made us feel as giddy as kids.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 05:33:51 AM »

In fact, this is how giddy we were.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 05:37:32 AM »

Listening to the Rainbow and Stars Jerry Herman show with the ever lovely and talented Miss Karen Morrow (an HWW favorite).

Tonight we will watch Two's Company, the 1975 Elaine Stritch Britcom where she plays an American ex-pat in London. She hires a very proper English servant and their interactions make up the comedy. Channel 21, one of the public television stations in the NYC area began running it again and we were lucky enough to catch the first episode. It's on Thursday evening at 8:30. Since Ant has a dance class at that time, we tape it and watch it on Friday or Saturday. With careful taping, we may be able to see the entire series (this is the third episode).

Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 05:39:33 AM »

There is a plethora (or is that "are", Matt H. former English teacher, help!!!) of birthdays on the horizon.

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 06:02:00 AM »

Ben and Ant-- you DO look giddy>  And no wonder-- such deluxe accommodations!

"Avenue Q" is in my car CD player at the moment.  The 4th season of "The Sopranos" and the first season of "Soap" are in the DVD.

And issue #49  of "Scarlet Street" is on the breakfast table waiting for me and my cereal.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 06:06:46 AM »

Today is our Bassset Hound's birthday.  Even though she is romping in the meadows in the Big Milk Bone in the Sky (where I will join her and Mazal and Buffy), it is STILL her birthday.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 06:08:08 AM »

Here's another one on a vacation.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 06:10:19 AM »

A nicer couple than Kerry and MG you could not find, even with the help of Sherlock Holmes.

There was very sweeet of you to say.  I don't know why you said it, but it's very sweet.  Between that and seeing Doris, I'll be smiling all day.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 06:11:05 AM »

OK, so I messed up the quote box, but the message is still the same.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 06:11:22 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 06:15:41 AM »

I said it because it's true, you silly! ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 06:16:08 AM by Ben »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 06:50:29 AM »

Michael - I hope you enjoy your birthday trip to Universal Orlando.  Have you been there before?  It was the most disappointing theme park I ever visited.  I love Universial California because it is a theme park built around an actual movie studio, but in Florida it is a theme park where they do a little filming so they can call it a movie studio.  Many of the attractions that are part of the tram tour in California have individual lines to wait in (there is no tram tour in Orlando).  With so many other theme parks in the area, it's definitely second tier.  Still the fun is made by the people you are with, so you will probably have a good time anyway as long as you know what to expect.

Ben & Anthony - Thanks for alerting me to the Stritch series which I haven't seen in years.  Channel 21 certainly didn't publicize its return and it was not mentioned in any of the NY papers.

CD - Two soundtracks that were released this week:  One is wonderful - "The Triplets of Belleville" - and makes me want to see the film again.  The other - the 50s remake of "Anything Goes" - is a strange mixture of Cole Porter (both from the show of the same name and other songs he wrote) and songs written specifically for the movie by others (plus some non-Porter songs Bing sang in the 30s version of the film).  Entertaining, but it certainly didn't make me want to rush out and find the movie.

DVD - Once again a plethora of new titles from which I will have to choose what to watch.  These include "Rules of the Game", the Harburg/Harnick volume of the songwriters series, Mark Hamil's direct-to-DVD "Comic Book Movie", and the "Jeckyl & Hyde" with both the March and Tracy versions.

VHS - Ready for this Sunday's "The L Word", unintentional camp at its best.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 06:59:51 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to

Michael Shayne ∧

enjoy the Magic Kingdom!!!
[/move]

Good wishes to MG!

Lovely pictures as usual from Ben and Ant!

DVD player:  LOTR Fellowship.  And later I will watch Two Towers again.

VCR:  A couple of Perry Mason cases I am taping for some friends.  One featuring Miss Beverly Garland  :P and the other with Miss Allison Hayes  ;D.

CD:  Florence Foster Jenkins!  For the first and only time.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 07:01:03 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 07:00:43 AM »

Re the Stritch series. I'm surprised Channel 21 didn't make any kind of announcement. We wouldn't have known except that Anthony's parents live on Long Island and watch 21 regularly so Rose taped the first episode and told us that it was back on the schedule.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 07:13:14 AM »

Happy Pre-Birthday DR Michael Shayne! Have fun on your real Birthday! (well, you can actually have fun today as well!)

DVD player: Laurel and Hardy DVD with THE MUSIC BOX, SONS OF THE DESERT, and some other choice shorts! Love those guys!

VHS: NIGHT NURSE with Babs Stanwyck, Joan Blondell, and an evil Clark Gable!

CD: Some current Bollywood soundtracks that I won off of Ebay.

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 07:14:11 AM »

And DR Kerry, happy birthday to the dear departed pup! She was a cutie!

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 07:34:58 AM »

It's funny but when Bruce announced the birthday in the notes, my first reaction was to think maybe I should check the calendar :)

Maybe you should get the calendar changed so it looks like a tradition calendar. It is a bit confusing (especially when you're writing the notes the day before). But I always go by the date to help me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 09:44:32 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 07:39:48 AM »

Oh and since MS won't be reading tomorrow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2004, 07:44:33 AM »

That, and we had a marvy conversation with one of the waitresses at the Purple Parrot this evening, whose name is Violet.
In the "what a coincidence" category.... A couple of years ago I wrote THE EMERALD PARROT, a marvy (in my opinion) mystery set in San Francisco. The Emerald Parrot in the script was the name of an old hotel/bar in North Beach where the detective who was the film's hero lived (upstairs) and hung out (in the bar). I came up with what I thought was an evocative name and then had great fun constructing the place (and its history) in my imagination. I also had great fun writing the piece, as I got to work closely with Fred Silverman, one of the legends of television.
Hard as it may be to believe, I had never in my life been to San Francisco when I wrote the movie. So when I did get to North Beach for real just recently, I was amazed at how right I had gotten it. The movie, BTW, did not get made. It happens sometimes that the good ones get away. But it's not a total loss as I had a really interesting work experience with Silverman, had fun writing, have a good script for my agent to show if a sample of a certain kind of writing is needed, got paid, and had the subject for a post on HHW.

Happy almost birthday, Michael Shayne!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2004, 07:51:49 AM »

...And congratulations to the Happy Hebrew on the two miles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2004, 07:51:54 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/move]

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR and Dear Friend MICHAEL SHAYNE !!!![/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2004, 07:56:37 AM »

I read this in VARIETY this morning. I've shortened the news release so it won't be so tedious for those who are not fans.

"Warner Home Video will release seven classic Marx Brothers movies for the first time on DVD, with the five discs due out May 4.
Centerpiece of the collection is "A Night at the Opera." The 1935 production is the first Marx Brothers movie for which Warner owns distribution rights through its MGM library

Leonard Maltin, who recorded an audio commentary for the movie on laserdisc, has recorded a new commentary for the DVD, while "The Marx Brothers Encyclopedia" author Glenn Mitchell provides audio commentary for "A Day at the Races" (1937). Both films also feature an original documentary about the Marx Brothers.

Those two movies and "A Night in Casablanca" (1946) will be available on separate discs. The other two discs will feature two movies apiece, pairing "Room Service" (1938) with "At the Circus" (1939) and "Go West" (1940) with "The Big Store" (1941).

Each disc includes an assortment of vintage MGM shorts of the era and other bonus features.

WHV senior veep of classic catalog George Feltenstein said although each disc can be purchased separately at a suggested per-disc price of $19.97, the studio priced the entire package at $59.92 to encourage collectors to own all seven films."

I ADORE the Marx Brothers. True, their Paramount films made before their reign at MGM were superior to these, but I love all of their MGM titles, even the later, weaker one like THE BIG STORE and GO WEST. I have them all on videotape, and now I can trade up.

In the same article was a mention that Universal is presently working on their five Marx Bros. films for release later in the year to coincide with the 75th anniversary of the release of THE COCOANUTS.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2004, 08:01:22 AM »

Media alert:

CD - Miklos Rozsa: MADAME BOVARY (burned for me by DR Ron since I love the composer and this score especially)

VDR - last night's reruns of FRIENDS and WILL & GRACE

DVD - PLAZA SUITE to be followed by the Sherlock Holmes set I mentioned last night: THE WOMAN IN GREEN, PURSUIT TO ALGIERS, TERROR BY NIGHT, and DRESSED TO KILL.

Laura II

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2004, 08:05:01 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy almost birthday, Michael Shayne! [/move] [/size]
Enjoy Orlando!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up