Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: DELVING  (Read 20468 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:DELVING
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2004, 07:57:20 PM »

DR Jay - Thanks for asking about Archie. He had a checkup yesterday and was given a clean bill of health. But what a scare it was just two and a half weeks ago. I know the strong and caring HHW vibes helped. And Archie was just asking about Roller.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2004, 07:57:58 PM »

I will now stand in the corner and promise not to initiate any more contests.

But he did have a role in a movie in 2003 The Road Home.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 08:02:42 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2004, 08:00:06 PM »

When Mary Tyler Moore dropped out of ROSE'S DILEMMA I was disappointed as I already had tickets to see it.  Now that I have seen it, I have a question for MTM: didn't you read the script first, and if so how could you have agreed to appear in what has to be the worst thing Neal Simon ever wrote?  The cast is excellent, there is a great set and everything about it is first class except Simon's script.  Moore would have played a character based on Lillian Hellman (now played by Patricia Hodges) who still sees the ghost of Dashiell Hammet (John Cullum) who had died five years before.  He wants her to hire a young writer (David Aaron Baker) to complete the book he was 40 pages from finishing when he died.  Her best friend --- who is revealed to be her daughter in Act 2 --- (Geneva Carr) falls in love with the author who writes a book about Lillian and Dashiell instead.  They become lovers and in the last scene a dead Lillian is finally reunited with Hammet as a ghost!  Now Simon has written plays with bad plots before, but they were usually redeemed by witty dialogue.  The dialogue in ROSE'S DILEMMA just lies there like so much fish.  The audience barely laughed and the applause at the end was polite at best.  Why is it that so many American playwrights run out of steam later in their careers (Williams, Inge, Miller and Hellman herself to name a few).

Did any LA DR see this when it was at the Geffen Playhouse under the title "Rose and Walsh"?  How was it and who was in it there?  I wonder if all of Simon's re-writting made it better or worse.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2004, 08:06:28 PM »

DR WEL - remember what some book writers on a musical project in the late 1960's told William Goldman:

They were trying to make some scenes work and kept rewriting and rewriting and finally proclaimed:

The trouble with washing garbage is - you just end up with more garbage.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2004, 08:58:36 PM »

I beg to differ but John Saxon was and is a TV star. Any man who looks that good is beyond a star - he is at least a demi-god.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2004, 09:00:06 PM »

Saturday night is the loneliest night of the week...
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

td

• td
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2004, 09:07:34 PM »

Saturday night is the loneliest night of the week...

Now sing it with Kris Kristofferson's growl, and you've got ME watching THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE WITH THE SEA on a Saturday night.  
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2004, 09:24:17 PM »

Good evening, one and all!  Gee, what a crowd, what a crowd.  In an effort to finish prior to the start of tomorrow's Super Bowl, I sped-red my way through today's posts, so I may have missed a few things.

Was that a picture of James Darren?

Why did Sandra Dee get arrested -- again?  

Did I miss Panni's not-very-interesting John Saxon story?

~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyway, my sincere good wishes to Janet and her mother.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2004, 09:27:32 PM »

Panni, any story about John Saxon would be an interesting one! Please do tell!

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2004, 09:30:35 PM »

What's so interesting about the Super Bowl when I have already let you know the result TCB?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2004, 09:34:05 PM »

I saw Copenhagen on Wednesday. What a superbly written play. It's a tribute to Michael Frayn (who also wrote Noises Off) that it held my interest throughout the evening, given the sometimes strained and distracting staging. Martha Henry - a Stratford luminary who looks a bit like an older Kathleen Turner - gave performance that can best be described as mannered.

On the other hand, I cannot imagine a better production of the Producers than the all-Canadian one at the Canon Theatre. Mel Brooks said it was his favorite outside of New York (Nathan Lane-Matthew Broderick). The staging is brilliant, the sets and costumes are lavish and fresh, and there's not a weak link in the cast. Seán Cullen as Max Bialystock is funny, charming and just manic enough. Michael Therriault (Leo), who's been at Stratford for seven years, is a cross between Gene Wilder and Matthew Broderick. Both leads have great voices, and there's wonderful chemistry between them.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 09:37:25 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2004, 09:36:48 PM »

Somehow, Tommy telling me the south will rise again does not quite constitute revealing the outcome of the game.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2004, 09:43:54 PM »

Sometimes my mail gets edited (censored) when it crosses the international date line. I tried. I would mention a Weekend in New England but that's probably not relevant either.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2004, 09:49:37 PM »

Panni, any story about John Saxon would be an interesting one! Please do tell!
Sure. It'll be a good thing to do while I take a writing break. I'm now actually re-writing what I wrote earlier today, so that's more fun...
Anyway, here's the story: Back in my acting days, I had a small role, which became almost non-existent after editing, in a slasher-horror film with a pretty good cast (Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, Margot Kidder, Andrea Martin) It was about a killer loose in a sorority house and I was one of the girls living in the house. The detective who came to the house to investigate the killings was to be played by Edmond O'Brien. I was really excited that I was going to meet and be working with this wonderful veteran actor. I had visions of sitting around during lulls, discussing THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA with him...Well, he showed up on set and it was very obvious that Mr. O'Brien was in no shape to work. An immediate emergency replacement was needed and we all wondered who it would be. Lo and behold but who walked in the next day -- Mr. John Saxon. I have to admit that I was more excited by the idea of working with Edmond O'Brien than John Saxon - and I have not one memory or tale of Mr. Saxon. That's why I said my story is not very interesting. And if you watch the movie, don't look for me because if you have the pesky human habit of blinking, you'll miss me. I kept hoping Bob Clark would decide that there needed to be one more murder and I would be it - but no such luck. I just go tot react to all the grizzly discoveries - and most of my precious reacting was left on the cutting room floor. I get to play ALL the roles as the writer!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 09:53:19 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2004, 09:54:29 PM »

I watched Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea earlier.  I'll have more to say on it later.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2004, 10:10:53 PM »

Too tired to keep writing. Time for some mindless reading or bad television or both. Good-night, all.

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2004, 10:23:19 PM »

Did that sailor fall from grace earlier in California. The flesh pots of the West Coast strike again. What will the sailor have to say later? And what of Grace?
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2004, 10:24:05 PM »

Here's an interesting topic, sort of.  Since tomorrow is the Super Bowl, has anyone noticed how other television stations/networks are counterprogramming?

Food-TV, for example, is putting in an entire days worth of Paula's Home Cooking, with Paula Dean.  Given the choice of watching guys in tight uniforms or a woman with big hair...

There's got to be something better somewhere.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2004, 10:24:58 PM »

And after that nonsense I should sign off and go and feed Fosca and Magnus.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2004, 11:01:15 PM »

Well, I'll be watching the Super Bowl.  However, first thing tomorrow morning I have to go help my brother-in-law download the photos from his digital camera onto his computer.

Well, I know it is still early for us West Coasters, but as I have been suffering from depression for the past few days, I think I shall say Good Night.

But, before you say anything about my leaving early, BK, I have the secret weapon:

"Chinese food in bed, having dinner under covers. We were sweet and sour lovers as we watched the late-night flicks. It was heaven as we worked our special magic with those chopsticks and Chinese food in bed..."
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2004, 11:01:25 PM »

30 minutes later! Time for me to be fed this time. Good night. See you later. Have a "bonza" Sunday.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2004, 11:07:40 PM »

Surfing around, I found an interesting interview with Paul Rudnick some of you might enjoy.

And good vibes to DR TCB: Hoping your depression doesn't last much longer.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2004, 11:14:15 PM »

Good evening!  Good morning!

Well, I'm a bit beat... and actually still "enjoying" the wine I had earlier...

So, in short... or maybe not so short...

The auditions I played this weekend for a major university were... interesting... to say the least.  These were auditions for a musical theatre program, and the young men and women auditioning were either seniors in high school or freshmen at other schools hoping to transfer.

There were not too many "Wow!"s... But, unfortunately, there were a lot of "Whoa!"s...  The biggest mistake these "kids" made was singing material that they thought they should sing, and/or things other people (teachers) thought they should sing... and not necessarily things they liked to sing.  For some of the border-line auditionees, we asked them what else they like to sing, what else they had in the book... And, boy, what a difference it made for some of them who just started having fun and enjoying what they were singing, what they were performing... and, most importantly, what they were auditioning with!  -Unfortunately, it seems that "soprano-itis" is back in full swing again... Young ladies, just because you can hit the notes, doesn't mean you can sing the notes.  There is a difference.  A big difference.

Unfortunately, there were more than a couple of auditionees who could have given some of the more memorable contestants on "American Idol" a run for their money.  Bad selection of material.  Bad pitch.  Bad rhythm.  Bad acting.  Bad choices.  Bad preparation.  -And, as usually happens at these things, we saw and heard some people who truly don't have enough natural - and shapeable - talent.

What was most frustrating was some of these young men and women just didn't seem like they wanted to be there.  That they didn't really want it.  Some came in not really aware of what the audition requirements were.  Some came in attire that was not "dancer friendly" for the dance part of their audition - some even just seemed to not to even try to learn the dance combination.  Even the adjudicator was getting frustrated.

Some of these kids traveled from far and wide - Texas, Michigan, Indiana, etc.  And many of them were currently on the circuit of auditions currently going on right now - one city here, one city there.  That's a lot of money!  And then to show up and not even try to do a good audition?!?!?  I mean this was more than an audition - this was an event that could determine the course of their life for the next four years!  And could  give them a great start to their professional lives!

And there was only ONE auditionee who did not apologize for the condition of their sheet music!?!?!?!  Pages not copied correctly.  Pages not put in a binder - one girl handed me eight(!) loose pages that had been cut and pasted - EIGHT PAGES!  And one girl who sang, "Till There Was You", happened to give me the pop, Beatles, version of the song?!?!? -It had a slight cha-cha accompaniment pattern.  I erred on the side of good judgment and played it more traditionally - which is what she wanted in the first place.  I counseled her after her audition - she has four more coming up in the next two weeks!

-It's times like this where I want to get their teacher's and coach's phone number and addresses!

But, all in all, it was fun playing auditions, and the adjudicator was a "hoot".  And, best of all, we finished early yesterday, and the musical theatre auditions were done by lunch today!  So, I was on the 12:40 Amtrak back to Richmond, and back in my apartment by 4:00... Details to follow...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2004, 11:36:15 PM »

Well, that post was longer than I thought it would be..., ah, well...  So back to my trials and tribulations...

In short -

My cell phone - Missing In Action.  ???  I think I left it in the cab that picked me up early Friday morning.  Unfortunately, nothing was turned into the cab company since then.  And strangely, when I called back today, the dispatcher informed me that that cab had failed inspection so it was no longer on the street, and that the only way I could get in contact with the actual cab driver would be to call back on Monday and talk to the office manager?!?!?!?  Then I called the transportation company that had arranged the cab for me, and they hadn't heard of the cab company before - ???  The mystery continues...  I'm gonna call the cab company again before heading to bed tonight and talk to the night dispatcher, maybe he/she can help me out.  However, I was able to change my cell phone message, and should anyone need to contact me, they now have my home phone number.  I just hope it turns up before I leave for Memphis this Friday.

My set of keys (house and car) - When I got to the auditions this morning, I stopped by CVS to pick up some cough drops.  When I went to get my chain which has my CVS Extra Care card, I realized I had left my set of keys at my parents's house!!!  -I had taken the subway back into town - and would take the subway to Union Station (Amtrak).  Thankfully, I called my brother, and he was able to get them in the mail to me this afternoon - Priority Mail, with tracking too!  So, those should get to me on Monday...

My car - I think it's possessed right now.  Once I got back to my apartment, I had to walk to my car to fetch the keys which were "hidden" in one of the wheel wells.  Unfortunately, my roomie had already left for work, but the work to my car only took about 10 minutes, and it felt good to stretch my legs after my two hour train ride.  After reaching into the wheel well - and breathing a BIG sigh of relief when I felt the key case - I decided to go ahead and try to start my car.  Well, after the first attempt, something told me to give the key a jiggle... Vrrrooom!!!  The car started right up, but there was a weird rattling sound under the hood.  I stepped out and checked it out, but didn't notice anything out of the oridinary.  So, I got my car out of it's space and drove back to my apartment.  Well, once I parked the car, I shifted the car into Park, and then turned the key to the Off position.  The engine was still running.  Hmmm...  I shifted into Reverse, turned the key to Off, then shifted back into Park... And the car revved up all on it's own.  ?!?!?!?  What the ???  So... After some very puzzled looks and some creative thinking, I headed into my apartment and put my bags away... and then drove my car to my service station.  They had just closed, but the kind gentleman let me drop it off in their lot, and I'll go back Monday morning to take care of the paperwork.  -At least now I know the purpose of that little button on the Shift console - it's an Automatic.  So... the mystery will hopefully be solved on Monday... and will, hopefully, not cost too much...

-At least the university already had my check ready for me today - I was expecting at least a week's wait.  So, I guess I know where that check is going... Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2004, 11:57:07 PM »

DR Jose, have you ever thought of starting an "Audition School"?  It sounds like that's one of the things a lot of these kids really need, someone to coach them on how to get that job!  And that's different from being a voice coach, or a dance coach, or an acting coach.  Heck, other professions have trainers who teach people how to interview for jobs, and it works!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up