Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TAPPAS BAR  (Read 65246 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:THE TAPPAS BAR
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 05:33:41 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 05:37:08 AM »

Oh, and one more:

Sondheim's re-write of Weill's "The Saga of Jenny": The Saga of Lenny, written for Leonard Bernstein's 70th birthday bash here.

Thanks much! What a great way to find out that my corporate firewall of youtube has been disabled for now! I'd never seen that, and never read the parody lyrics... Holy toledo, the "picks a/shlimazel or a shiksa" line had me in stitches (can't believe that one got by the 1988 censors).

TOD:
Because of the whole "kosher" thing, I don't really get to sample trendy restaurants, and the food trends that filter down to my level tend to be the ones that have endured. Things that I never tire of, however:

* sushi - My one happy memory from my first job with a tyrannical boss was the short-lived restaurant down the block with a sushi bar (back in 93, this was a novelty in a kosher restaurant; nowadays, you can't open a kosher pizza jernt without a sushi menu). I was there frequently enough that the chef wouldn't let me order specifics; I was only allowed to state how much I wanted to spend, and he'd make up whatever was good that day. One memorable afternoon, I walked in, he looked at me, and just said "you want tuna." He then proceeded to pile the most heavenly, buttery, glistening tuna atop a bed of rice for me... I've since been told that this is more-or-less the "authentic" practice in asian restaurants (telling the chef what *you* want is somewhat insulting, since it implies that you know what's good better than he does)

* balsamic vinegar - unfortunately, almost all of the kosher varieties are of the "wine vinegar with a bit of caramel thrown in" style, but I can't get enough of how wonderfully the stuff works in places you'd never expect it (I've had a strawberry-balsamic dessert dish that was just magnificent, and I'm not the world's biggest strawberry fan)

I don't mind restaurant servers only reciting the daily specials, but I *do* mind ordering one, and finding out at the end of the meal that it was twice as expensive as anything else on the menu. Granted, I don't go out to save money (and higher end kosher restaurants in NYC are very expensive compared to similar non-kosher venues), but I'd like some warning about paying more for a single entree than my two companions' complete meals combined.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 05:46:01 AM »

Good morning on a cold New York day. Right now it's 11 degrees with a wind of 40mph which makes it feel like 7 below. I'm glad I'm in the office.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:47:13 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 05:46:16 AM »

It's supposed to be around 40 tomorrow. Go figure.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:50 AM »

On the plus side the UV index is at Zero  ;D

Ben

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 05:50:12 AM »

It's 8 below in Minnesota. That's real temperature, not with wind chill.

It's 5 degrees in Sioux City. Hope Cil's kitties are warm!

It's 6 below in Fargo North, Decoder - an

Electric Company

reference
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:55:05 AM by Ben »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 05:53:53 AM »

It is 47F here.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 05:59:45 AM »

A friend had gotten what they call "Tapis Rouge" special tickets for Cirque du Soleil when it was on Randall's Island, and they served many many yummy appetizers in a special tent and we kept pronouncing the tickets "Tappas Rouge," assuming they were so called because of the yummy appetizers.  When I got home, Skip read the tag that we had to wear to enter the special tent and informed me that it was pronounced "Ta-pee Rouge" as in "Red Carpet" treatment, not "tappas" as in appetizers.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:00:38 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »

The last half hour or more of The Grammy Awards featured some nice things.....Eldar!!!!

And....

SPOILER I GUESS

HERBIE HANCOCK WON RECORD OF THE YEAR - OR ALBUM OF THE YEAR - or whatever one of the over 400 categories it was announced last.

Favorite moment Keely Smith and Kid Rock and Dave Koz, closely followed by Tina Turner.  The Doris tribute was subdued with a few lines and a few pictures and some nice applause which from some in the audience could be called "polite."  And of course Rhapsody in Blue.  Bocelli and Groban could have been a highlight, but Bocelli sounded really flat or at least off a tone or so....but it could be my ears.

BUT it was great to see ELDAR!!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 06:02:53 AM »

DR FJL thanks for the APPLAUSE title number clip....I remember seeing that and thinking Broadway was great, but even then that Bonnie Franklin was lame.....maybe it was the song....  And now the song and the clothes....well...nothing gets older faster than the latest and newest and hippest things EVER.....

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 06:10:06 AM »

DR MattH thanks for the list re: which tv shows will be going into production for april/may.

There are a few shows that i didn't see mentioned. Do you have any information for these:

Ghost Whisperer.

Gossip Girl.

Big Shots.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 06:20:20 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  From DR Ben's report, it sounds like NYC has the weather today that we had here in SW Ohio yesterday.  Today it's cold here, but not windy - sure makes a difference.  However, the winter storm watch that was in effect when I went to bed last night has now been upgraded to a winter storm warning.  Maybe we'll get a snow day tomorrow....
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 06:22:29 AM »

Vibes for the friend of DR DAKOTA CELT.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 06:22:58 AM »

Snow flurries here this morning, DR GINNY....but nothing on the ground yet.

FJL

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 06:23:11 AM »

Jrand:  "Nothing gets older faster than the latest and newest and hippest things EVER" - what a wise and beautifully considered turn of phrase.  

It may be a useful mantra for theater writers wondering whether to set their shows in "modern times" or choose a nebulous time in the past, perhaps.  

FJL

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 06:24:07 AM »

Grab your coat and get your hat
There are flurries on the doorstep

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 06:28:01 AM »

Jrand:  "Nothing gets older faster than the latest and newest and hippest things EVER" - what a wise and beautifully considered turn of phrase.  

It may be a useful mantra for theater writers wondering whether to set their shows in "modern times" or choose a nebulous time in the past, perhaps.  

I learned that from someone who told me years ago - never let your picture be taken in the latest and newest and hippest, those are the pictures you will regret later.....and it's true.  Bell bottoms, leisure suits, etc....oh my....   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 06:29:35 AM »

I don't think I have ever been in a Tappas bar......and trendy food and restaurants are not my thing....hmmmmmmmmmm

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 06:40:34 AM »

May I chime in here and say that DH Richard and I had delightful dining experiences at 2 "small plate" restaurants when we were in DC last summer?  At the Jaleo location in Crystal City and at Zaytinya near the Convention Center.  What we liked was the ability to sample many different dishes without ordering a lot of anything.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 06:41:52 AM »

I love "Madame X."  It's such a gorgeous trashy movie, and Ms. Turner et al are delightful in it.   A typical Ross Hunter movie.

Today is my dear sister, Karen's birthtday--HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KAREN!!!!!!!

That must mean it is my brother's birthday, too, since he and Karen are twins, but let's not go there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:45:14 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2008, 06:45:01 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Kerry's sister Karen!

In your honor, we shall go for a walk!

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2008, 06:48:36 AM »

Give me 20 minutes at least-- I'm moving slowly today.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2008, 06:51:28 AM »

Happy Birthday to sister of DR KERRY - Karen!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2008, 06:54:36 AM »

I agree....I think Madame X (as Mr BK wrote) is one of Lana Turner's best performances...if not her best.

I remember a Pauline Kael review that called it old fashioned and accused Turner of being not Madame X but Brand X, a product to be sold.  Well Kael's writings aren't much in demand....and Turner still sells DVD's to bed sure.

I know there was a lot of controversy around the production, and of course Constance Bennett died between shooting and the release of the film.....along with a snide comment by her agent Sue Mengers.....but even if the color is not well done, I am glad it is on it's way to me.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2008, 06:56:09 AM »

Happy Birthday to one twin, Karen. Does she have a Toni? Remember that ad, Which Twin Has the Toni?

Which Twin?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:57:24 AM by Ben »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2008, 06:58:30 AM »

Give me 20 minutes at least-- I'm moving slowly today.

Should I bring ice to drop down your pants?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2008, 07:02:52 AM »

Good morning, all! Unless the Institute finally pays us today or the damned cabaret lady comes through I am about as overdrawn as a body can get and not thrilled about any of it.  I hate this crap.  I could use some financial vibes today.

DR vixmom, I'm really happy the vister loved RENT; I'm quite fond of the show as well.  I truly am sorry I missed you all on Saturday but I did get a good deal of needed rest.  My physical health is much better but the financial strain is not doing a thing for my mental health.

DR MBarnum, when was it that you were here last? There were no bedbugs then so I'm trying to figure out the timeline.

I have a trip to the Post Office. After that, more vacuuming, perhaps some pesticide, but I've selected another section of shelves to sort out.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2008, 07:03:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHILIPPIC!

And The Songs Of The Day(from the same show) WHY CAN'T THE ENGLISH? and JUST YOU WAIT

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »

(((((Elmore)))))

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18:08 AM »

Financial vibes to DR ELMORE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up