Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TAPPAS BAR  (Read 65251 times)

Kerry

Re:THE TAPPAS BAR
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18:19 AM »

Should I bring ice to drop down your pants?
Anything anyone wants to shove down my pants will be more activity than I have seen in quite some time!   :'( :o
I like boat races.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2008, 07:19:40 AM »

Anything anyone wants to shove down my pants will be more activity than I have seen in quite some time!   :'( :o
And the award for "too much information, thankyouverymuch" goes to...

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2008, 07:21:17 AM »

***FINANCIAL VIBES***[/color][/size]
to DR elmore3003[/color][/size]

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2008, 07:21:45 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Karen, DS of Kerry!!!   :)   :)   :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »

You ready to go for a walk, Kerry?

It will be about a half hour before I can get there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:32:58 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Kerry

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »

You ready to go for a walk, Kerry?

It will be about a half hour before I can get there.

I'm ready.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2008, 07:36:28 AM »

Good morning!

Much colder here this morning than it has been for the last four or five days, and only promises to be in the high 40s today. Warming is to start and continue through the week, however.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2008, 07:38:28 AM »

Sorry I didn't  log in last night to chatter about my evening of viewing. The internet and phone lines were down in my neighborhood (we had strong winds yesterday that blew down some trees), and I couldn't get on-line. At some point during the night, they were repaired, and everything was fine this morning.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »

I spent most of the evening last night watching more episodes of GIRLFRIENDS. I think the problem for me is that I don't like any of the leading female characters. The actresses are fine with what they're given, but I find all four of the female characters and their male friend very off-putting. So, the set won't be getting a very positive review from me. It's hard to find things funny about characters you dislike.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2008, 07:40:24 AM »

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »

I had recorded an episode of BURKE'S LAW the night before off the American Life channel, and I watched it last night. Theodore Bikel, Dewey Martin, Dorothy Lamour, and MacDonald Carey were the primary guest stars. Marlyn Mason was also in the supporting cast.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2008, 07:42:36 AM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS had a good episode last night. Nice to see Eric Winter as Jason McAlister back and Scottie fighting so hard for Kevin. Don't know where that's going to go, but it should be intriguing. Rob Lowe seemingly had the night off last night!

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2008, 07:48:55 AM »

Last night, DR der Brucer opined:

"For those of us who, of necessity, receive all TV inputs from a cable company (and require a set-top box for all but the very basic channels), why would such a tuner be essential - or even useful?

I think I saved big bucks buying unit without an internal tuner."

That's fine for you. For someone like me that often has three or four shows on at the same time and a DVR that can only record two shows at once, having a digital tuner is a godsend. I can watch a show over the air in HD while the cable DVR picks up two others.

There are other people who don't have access to cable or who don't want to upgrade to digital HD boxes, and with a digital tuner in their TV, they can have HD for free saving them money.

And did you know that with a QAM tuner, you can do away with the digital settop box and use the analog cable connection only. The QAM tuner pulls in all the unscrambled HDTV signals. The TV that I have now has both a digital tuner (ATSC) and a QAM tuner, so I can choose HDTV from multiple sources. Over-the-air signals contain far less compression and can be much sharper and more detailed than the (of necessity) heavily compressed signals that cable and dish customers must use.

One other thing. Due to atmospheric interference for the past two or three weeks, the cable service has been having massive problems with the CBS affiliate;s signals  here. The cable transmissions were heavily pixilated and distorted. I could watch the CBS affiliate over the air with ZERO interference.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2008, 07:53:14 AM »

TV Reminder:

ABC's line-up seems to be all new tonight.

THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES has a new episode.

NBC's line-up of reality shows is all new.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2008, 07:55:33 AM »

Sorry about omitting GOSSIP GIRL from the list. It was there, and I edited it out. I'll go look it back up in a minute and post what I find.

BIG SHOTS is likely over with for good. Sorry for those of you who are fans. Like BIONIC WOMAN, the show started with good ratings and every week saw an erosion. BIG SHOTS had one of the highest rated shows on TV as a lead-in, and was losing 65% of the audience at 10, so don't expect to see it back. I suspect that's why it was left off that list.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2008, 07:57:03 AM »

I'll be continuing with GIRLFRIENDS today. I'm on disc 3 (out of 4), so I don't know if I'll be able to finish all the episodes today or not. I kind of doubt it.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »

Spoo!

I forgot to mention that CBS has two new sitcom episodes tonight with WELCOME TO THE CAPTAIN and THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE. The rest of their Monday line-up is reruns.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »

Here it is for you, DR Jennifer:

Gossip Girl
Expected to shoot up to 9 new episodes to air in April/May/June.

As for GHOST WHISPERER, it's TBD (to be determined).

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2008, 08:03:58 AM »

I have zero to add to the Topic o' the Day.

My diet is as routine and regulated (in other words, bland) as my cleaning habits.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2008, 08:11:13 AM »

Birthday wishes to Karen, DR Kerry's sister!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2008, 08:12:11 AM »

I'm going to be completely contrarian and say that I love the score to Applause.  It was one of the first OCRs I bought and I loved it then, still do.  So there.

Happy Birthday to occasional lurker (well one can hope, can't one?) SERGIO MENDES!!  (and Karen).  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2008, 08:12:13 AM »

{{{{{Dear DR Elmore}}}}}}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2008, 08:26:19 AM »

Heading down now to clean up before my lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.

singdaw

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2008, 08:32:06 AM »

After watching that clip of Bacall this morning, I can't get "But Alive" out of my head!!

Drat that DR FJL!!   ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »

Dear Esteemed BK: Do I really have to bitch-slap you?

You've fallen into the trap of thinking that trends start in NYC or LA.  They do not.  They start elsewhere, gain a foothold somewhere in the U. S. of A., and then get imported to NYC or LA, where the hip and trendy people go "oooh!" and "aaah!" and declare whatever it is that they have "discovered" is now as hip and trendy as they are.

(And, it should be noted, just as disposable as they are, which is why they are always so desperate to find something new to declare as hip and trendy, to make sure that they remain as hip and trendy as what they have declared hip and trendy.)

When Der Brucer and I were in Cincinatti, of all places, attending a political confrontation convention well over a decade ago, there were tapas bars in that small city.  I kid you not.  In fact, I wish we had visited one or two while we were there - as a rule, food in Cincinatti is wretched, and that is putting it mildly.  Having a number of small wretched plates might have been better on the ol' tumtum than the large wretched plates we encountered instead.  Or, at least, we could have had some nice drinkies along with the tapas, to help us ignore all the wretch.

And the first time Der B and I met our very own DR Jose (for a performance of Stephen Schwartz's Children of Eden at the Ford Theater in Washington D. C. - Jose was performing, and we brought him pale green roses), he led us after the show to a restaurant called Jaleo, where chef Jose Andres sealed his reputation as far back as 1993 by serving tapas.  (Typical of our own DR Jose, the kind of tapas he was interested in at that point of the evening was the desserts - our own DR Jose is highly consistant in that manner.)

So, there you've got der Brucer and myself encountering tapas twice before it was even mentioned in NYC or LA.

If there is a problem with tapas here in the U. S. of A. it comes from how tapas is served in Spain, as opposed to how it is served here.  Dinner in Espania is served late - nine o'clock in the evening is considered early.  So, naturally, with all those hours between when people get off from work and when dinner is served, there's a good chance of people getting a bit peckish, and wanting something to snack on.  

The solution is to go bar-hopping.  But, instead of simply stopping at a bar for a drink, and then hopping to the next bar for a drink, the pleasant people of Spain will have a tapas at one bar, then move on and have a different tapas at the next bar.  Why move from bar to bar?  Because each bar specializes in the different kinds of tapas.  One bar may have some amazing olives, for instance.  The next will be known for it's coca de recapte (flatbread with roasted eggplant and peppers).  A third, perhaps, will have it's croquetes de pollastre i pernil high on the list (that's chicken and ham croquettes, by the way).  Or gambes a la planxa (griddled shrimp with garlic and parsley).  

(Anthony Bourdain's first television series, A Cook's Tour, 2001, included an episode where he accompanied some lovely women searching out tapas in San Sebastian, and the women tapased him under the table.)

But, here in the U. S. of A., the owners of the restaurants and bars do not want you to hop from place to place.  They want you to stay, and give them all of your money.  The result is that our bars and restaurants have to diversify in their tapas, serving a large variety and specializing in none.  A pity.  Also a pity is how we Americans do not have a break between tapas (and drinkies) like the Spaniards do, that respite that comes from walking from tapas bar to tapas bar, breathing in some fresh air and getting the blood pumping through our veins.

Now, here's something interesting: in Tokyo and other Japanese cities, a similar sort of thing takes place.  They have restaurants that specialize in specific kinds of dishes, such as sushi or gyoza or skewered meats or whatever.  Similar idea as to what goes on in Spain, only with soy sauce instead of olive oil.  You want trendy?  Just wait!  We've already got the sushi part - the rest is just waiting in the wings!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 08:36:29 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2008, 08:42:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHILIPPIC!
Queen Elizabeth found she had some spinach caught between her teeth, which she hated every time it happened, and bitterly whispered to her side, "Phillip!  Pick!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »

Comments on the notes:LA maybe just late to the party. The Algeria Tapas Bar opened on Pine Ave. in downtown Long Beach in the fall of 2001 and and has been going hot and heavy ever since. Since both Woody and I like to surf-and-nosh, the Tapas enviroment is a real treat.

Well, I wasn't going to rub it in that staid and stodgy Long Beach was ahead of trendy Los Angeles.

But I'm glad you did.   :-*

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »

In any case... As for the Topic of the Day...

The restaurant trends that I don't like include:
...-using Sriracha (Rooster Sauce) as a plate garnish on every plate - that can come as a surprise at times!...
"Oh, look, darling!  There's this bright orangey-red sauce here on my plate of strawberries!  I wonder what it can be?"

:o

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »

DR Dakota, PRAYERS AND VIBES FOR YOUR FRIEND!

Safe and Easy Travel Vibes for DR Jose!

Happy Birthday to DS of DR Kerry!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »

PAYCHECK VIBES TO DR ELMORE!

LESS STRESS VIBES TO DR ELMORE!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up