Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TAPPAS BAR  (Read 65252 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE TAPPAS BAR
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »

Dear DR MBarnum:  Exactly where are you staying in Glendale?  The humungous mall you've mentioned would be the Glendale Galleria, which is indeed largish, particularly for a mall plopped down in the middle of a city, and is a place I'm fairly familiar with from the days when I worked in Glendale.  Are you, perhaps, staying at a motel somewhere towards the south end of the mall, between Brand Blvd. and Central?

If so, you're in walking distance of a number of very nice places to eat on Brand.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »

And, for Page Four, let's have an M. Barnum Dance!

(Or not.  I'm not sure if he's a dance-type of fellow.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2008, 09:20:51 AM »

I have no doubt that tappas bars started small and elsewhere - but it's just amusing to see the proliferation of them now - I was looking at one of those free, big glossy magazines they have lying around and on every page there were four tappas bars advertised, most on Ventura Blvd.   And I've seen the wine bars coming.  And then there's that "new" hip and trendy appetizer edamamie or whatever the HELL it's called, that soybean thing - someone was having that at Pig n Whistle last week - newly added to the menu, and I'm told newly added to many, many menus here in LA.  Eight bucks for some soy beans - amazing, ain't it?  We all know the word chipotle has existed for years, but honestly, when did it exist on EVERY SINGLE MENU in every restaurant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »

I seem to be up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »

It's been very summery here.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »

From yesterday:

Quote from: JRand57 on Yesterday at 06:14:00pm
Tina and Beyonce doing PROUD MARY....wonder if Beyonce even realizes she just got served in front of 35 million people?

Quote from JoseSPiano:
I wondered about that too.  -Although, sort of sadly, I think that was due to the ever-lowering vocal range - and keys - of Ms. Turner.

Are you suggesting that Ms. Tina is beginning to sound like Ms. Kathleen?

:o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~~~~~~~~~~~May Elmo find $ today!~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »

I heard on the news over this past weekend that the sugar refinery explosion in Georgia last week was caused by the ignition of sugar dust.

Who knew sugar dust was flammable??!!??

Knowing that now, I do worry about some of our "lot"....if sugar dust can flare up, what will happen to fairy dust?

I'm just sayin'........
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »

;D

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2008, 09:27:41 AM »

It's been very summery here.
And me without freon in my car.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2008, 09:30:57 AM »

I have no doubt that tappas bars started small and elsewhere - but it's just amusing to see the proliferation of them now - I was looking at one of those free, big glossy magazines they have lying around and on every page there were four tappas bars advertised, most on Ventura Blvd.   And I've seen the wine bars coming.  And then there's that "new" hip and trendy appetizer edamamie or whatever the HELL it's called, that soybean thing - someone was having that at Pig n Whistle last week - newly added to the menu, and I'm told newly added to many, many menus here in LA.  Eight bucks for some soy beans - amazing, ain't it?  We all know the word chipotle has existed for years, but honestly, when did it exist on EVERY SINGLE MENU in every restaurant.

Well, I don't know about the trendy L.A. movement, but edamame has been a staple in Chinese cuisine for thousands of years.  Edamame is sold in all the grocery stores locally...and has been for a long time.  It's on all the Chinese restaurant menus.  I've seen it on a dim sum menu, too, but I don't know if it's in the same "appetizer"category as what you've found in L.A. eateries.  Basically, it's a versatile veggie cooked or raw (in salads).

Blame New Mexico for chipotle's rise to trendy status, IMO.  I was inundated with chipotle in Santa Fe back in the summer of 2000.  It was good, too!

But you can also look to the ever-expanding/affluent Latino population to explain why it's taken hold so firmly in L.A., as well.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:35:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »

I cleared out about 53% of my DVR cache yesterday and Saturday...caught up on all of last week's programs, and finally managed to clear out the 2008 U.S. National Figure Skating telecast!  It's nice to have some breathing room for future programs!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »

Like der Brucer mentioned, there's a tapas bar in Long Beach, was there well before we moved more than four years ago.  Wine bars, yep, had 'em in Long Beach before we moved (Sony Bono's older daughter, Christy, featured one at her first restaurant on Broadway - we went to a few political fundraisers there).  Edamame?  Had 'em at Chinese restaurants in Long Beach before we moved.   And chipotle is old hat in Long Beach.

BK, ol' fellow, you need to drive a little further south more often.  Long Beach is the hippest long before the hip start hoppin'.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »

And the coffee trend started in the Pacific Northwest.  Long before we started seeing coffee bars pop up here and across the country, they proliferated in  cities like Seattle.  We have "Peet's" locally...and the guy who started "Starbucks" got his learning from working for "Peet's".

singdaw

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2008, 09:43:11 AM »

Some day I'm gonna start a trend...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2008, 09:43:29 AM »

I can only tell you that when every restaurant in LA suddenly has edamamie on its appetizer menu, then it has suddenly (and I mean suddenly) become the new toy of the trendy and hip, something they would never have eaten at a jernt like Pig n Whistle even a year ago.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »

And what is trendy and hip in LA is old hat everywhere else.

PS: Has everyone noticed?  Ron P. and I are now both ahead of the trendy and hip of LA.  Whoda thunk we'd ever be hip together?

8)

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2008, 09:54:18 AM »

I made this for all of us. It's a money magnet.  ;D

singdaw

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »

Ron P. and I are now both ahead of the trendy and hip of LA

Does that make the rest of us cool by association?    8)

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2008, 09:55:49 AM »

Does that make the rest of us cool by association?    8)
Just you.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »

Grab your coat and get your hat
There are flurries on the doorstep

I quite like that one. I like many of FJL's lyrics, but I especially like that one. I'll try to remember it. (yes, a Fantasticks reference)

singdaw

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2008, 09:57:43 AM »

Does one put the ice down the pants first, or the seltzer?

singdaw

« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »

And then, is it shaken or stirred?  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2008, 09:59:07 AM »

And hello, everyone!

Chilly here, too. Cold temps, plus wind. Brrr. I pulled my winter clothes back out.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »

Vibes to DR DC's friend!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »

Quote from: singdaw on Today at 09:55:19am
Does that make the rest of us cool by association?

Just you.

We are all cool here at HHW.

Not exactly what our midwestern brethren (and sisthren)
would like right now, but that's how it is, folks!

8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »

And then, is it shaken or stirred?  
Whisked.

(You thought I was going to say "beaten"?)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up