Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALREADY ALREADY  (Read 34462 times)

Ben

Re:ALREADY ALREADY
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2004, 10:35:03 AM »

Can you tell I'm trying to get to Page 2? Don't want BK to feel bad. I haven't been posting much for the past few days so it's all my fault, I admit it!!! This should at least start Page 2.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2004, 10:36:02 AM »

Yep, 29 to a page. We are now officially on Page 2. Please continue after me, one and all.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2004, 10:36:51 AM »

I will put my brain to work and try to mis-cast Music Man. Later all.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2004, 10:41:56 AM »

Capitol did a whole series of albums like the Cole Porter one you purchased today, Dear Reader Ben, covering maybe 18 or 20 different composers and lyricists from the Golden Age of Broadway and Tin Pan Alley.  They all feature great singers from the '40s and '50s and they're all quite wonderful!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2004, 10:51:44 AM »

DR BEN - I love those Capitol CD's.  My favorites, I think, are the Academy Award winning songs - and Rodgers & Hart!

Yes Broadway prices are high....and yes there are discounts, and TKTS...so it must be the product.  There is no advertising campaign no "star" no gimmick that can make people go see a show they are not interested in.  And sometimes reading about a show or person day after day makes me NOT want to see a show.  And suddenly - maybe with the internet - we have these "fan" shows that people see a time after time and become annoying to those of us who might otherwise like it...

I have an interest in some shows...not TABOO, not this particular GYPSY...  Shows I would like to have seen or see NEVER GONNA DANCE, WICKED...maybe a couple of others...  

Now I'm like DR JOSE....I don't know what I am trying to say.....

I also agree that not having "graded" houses is outrageous!  Obstructed seats sell for as much as others and back of the house for the same price?  Forget it!

And then there are the audiences....bleh!  They feel, I think, that they have paid such a high price for a ticket that they can behave in pretty much any manner they wish.  And a lot of the ushers and front of the house people are nothing but RUDE and condescending to theatre goers...RUDE!

Dealing with box office personnel is a nightmare!  And I have worked the box office so I know the public can be bothersome - but don't take it out on me!

There are local theatres I don't even go to anymore because of their box office personnel.  And yes I know I am missing out....but to hell with it.  Let 'em close...and when someone in a show asks me if I am coming...I say NO and I tell them why.

Anyway.....some very funny Music Man casting...  I do like the political version from DR JOSE!

We need to see more 1970's pictures.  If I can display myself in a rust colored jumpsuit - well....let's see them.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 10:52:18 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2004, 10:52:38 AM »

I'm listening to Purlie right now.

I wrote a (non-musical) sequel to "Purlie Victorious" on which Purlie is based. Ossie Davis, who wrote Purlie V., was not thrilled by the musical version. My non-musical version, which had Ossie's blessing, has now metamorphosed into a hip-hop film. Don't ask. It's still my script, but it's also a hip-hop film. I'm hoping that it will actually get shot this year or next -- at which point I'll change my name to Queen Pannifah.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2004, 10:52:38 AM »

Yes, DR Jay. I have the Rodgers and Hart, Harry Warren, Jerome Kern, Gershwin, Arlen, the Movie Compilation and a really great one called Capitol Sings Coast to Coast. All the songs have specific locations, Georgia on My Mind, Moonlight in Vermont, Route 66, Chicago, etc. It's great fun to listen to.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2004, 10:56:09 AM »

Okay I have a topic as well.  Is there a movie or tv show that you liked - but you were really knocked out by a supporting or smaller performance?  One you may have even missed the first time through?

A couple that come to mind for me are Geena Davis in THE FLY....I think it's one of her best performances...and what lynchpin for the movie.

Another is Ann Wedgeworth as Patsy Cline's mother in SWEET DREAMS!  Terrific!  I think she may have been nominated for an AA for it, but I'm not sure.

I love it when Patsy comes in complaining about her husband and says, "Sometimes I just want ta scream and claw mah face...."  She goes on and on and then says: "Mama, what should I do?"

And Wedgeworth replies perfectly:  "Well, I don't know, Paitsy---whyncha gist scream and claw ur face?"

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2004, 10:56:39 AM »

I'm going to cheat and cast my Music Man From Hell with dead people, since all the contemporaneous choices thus far have been so excellent that I couldn't possibly compete.

Marion Paroo:   Helen Kane (aka Betty Boop)
Mrs. Paroo:       Charlie Ruggles (in his Charley's Aunt drag)
Winthrop:          Lon Chaney, Jr.
Marcellus:          Buddy Hackett (sorry, Buddy)
Mayor Shinn:     Boris Karloff
Eulalie Shinn:    Jayne Mansfield
Zaneeta Shinn: Virginia Weidler
Tommy Djilis:     James Dean

And as Professor Harold Hill:    

Anthony Perkins
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ben

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2004, 10:56:45 AM »

Thank you Panni for the information on Purlie. It's interesting to know that Mr. Davis was not happy with the musical version. I know that Purlie was based on his original play but I have never read Purlie Victorious or seen a production.

Not only will you be a HHW God(ess), you will also be a Queen! See what happens when you post here.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2004, 10:57:12 AM »

Purlie! Thanks DRBen for reminding me about its joyous score. I have only the LP, and haven't heard it in ages. And what a wonderful cast: the late Cleavon Little (and his understudy, Morgan Freeman), Novella Nelson (superb in Antwone Fisher), Melba Moore (what happened to her?) and Sherman (George Jefferson) Hemsley.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2004, 10:58:18 AM »

JRand, I promise to post at least one 70s picture this afternoon. I finally have some free time after work so I can embarrass myself. Sometime after 4pm Eastern Standard Time tune in to see a picture or two of Ben in the 70s (sounds like a sitcom).

Panni

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2004, 10:58:54 AM »

Must get back to work -- but just read an article about Bertolucci's new film THE DREAMERS. It sounds fascinating. The article refers to it as a "remembrance of films past as well as times past." Bertolucci uses clips of classic films to punctuate the film.
DR Jay, who sees EVERYTHING as soon as it comes out, must report ASAP on this one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 11:08:27 AM by Panni »

Ben

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »

Moore had some problems, as I remember, in the 90s. I don't know the specifics, but at one time I think she was bankrupt, had a difficult divorce and other issues. She seems to be back as a performer though. I Got Love is a wonderful number!

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2004, 11:04:58 AM »

Okay when some of you said that the silverdaddies website was not appropriate YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID WHY.  I am now gonna have nightmares :)

Re: last night's American Idol

First off I think I agree with what DR Noel said about making these singers sing a capella (that it isn't a good judge of a singer + it never happens at real auditions).  It never really occured to me before that this was odd (until it was pointed out to me).  

I wish that the final 32 weren't chosen by the judges. I HATE that they got rid of Nicole (scooter girl).  I really don't get it.  The two brothers totally screwed up their songs (when they sang in groups of 3). They forgot their lyrics (as did many others who made it thru, like red-head 16 yr old).

The judges praised Nicole, said her singing was great. She had a great personality. She didn't mess up once in the auditions. And I think the viewing audience loved her. And they cut her.   Yet some of the ones they chose were awful.  I just don't get it.

Panni

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2004, 11:06:43 AM »

I know that Purlie was based on his original play but I have never read Purlie Victorious or seen a production.

There is actually a black & white film version of the play.  The film's title is GONE ARE THE DAYS. Around 1963? They opened it up a tiny bit, but it's basically a filmed play. You'll see a very young Alan Alda in one of his first roles, as well as Godfrey Cambridge, Ossie, Ruby Dee, etc.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2004, 11:09:46 AM »

Also, re: American Idol

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/feb5_idol-sun.html

This is about that wonderful "bad" performance of "shebang".  He was actually my favorite of the bad ones. So sweet. And he's actually really popular now. Who knew :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2004, 11:10:30 AM »

DRPANNI I am intrigued by your hiphop project!

DR BEN I am not familiar with the Capitol Coast to Coast CD - something new to buy!!!

Has anyone read the latest Lucille Ball bio Ball Of Fire?  

DR LULU I think Jayne would be perfect as Eulalie particularly if she wears the dress she was wearing here at HHW yesterday.

I would say that New DR Charles Toft is recherche.

I had "Purlie" on a 8-track that I played to destruction in my car....  Now on CD....something else to buy.

HEY DR'S!......when you were little...or young....did your parents ever attend a play or musical or movie and come home and talk about it so much that you remember it?  

I know that once my parents saw the above mentioned Patsy Cline at a county fair or some such, and they loved her....  When she watches "Coal Miner's Daughter" she says that Beverly D'Angelo's Patsy is on the money!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 11:13:34 AM by JRand53 »

Jay

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2004, 11:14:42 AM »

Must get back to work -- but just read an article about Bertolucci's new film THE DREAMERS. It sounds fascinating. The article refers to it as a "remembrance of films past as well as times past." Bertolucci uses clips of classic films to punctuate the film.
DR Jay, who sees EVERYTHING as soon as it comes out, must report ASAP on this one.

Noted!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2004, 11:19:20 AM »

DR Jay - sees all - knows all...   ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 01:34:33 PM by JRand53 »

Jay

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2004, 11:19:23 AM »

Yes, DR Jay. I have the Rodgers and Hart, Harry Warren, Jerome Kern, Gershwin, Arlen, the Movie Compilation and a really great one called Capitol Sings Coast to Coast. All the songs have specific locations, Georgia on My Mind, Moonlight in Vermont, Route 66, Chicago, etc. It's great fun to listen to.

Yes, I like that one, too.  They also have a similarly-themed "Capitol Sings Around the World."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2004, 11:20:16 AM »

Wow - you're right. I think he'd be great. Someone should send this idea to his office.

You beat me to it.   :)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »

Has anyone read the latest HEY DR'S!......when you were little...or young....did your parents ever attend a play or musical or movie and come home and talk about it so much that you remember it?  

When my folks saw Guys and Dolls, my mom sang "Adelaide's Lament" - a lot. Forgive me for getting maudlin, but when my mom was ill, even in the weeks before she passed away, I could always manage to get her to finish the line: "A person" ("can develop a bad, bad cold").

Jay

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2004, 11:22:07 AM »

DR Jay - sees all - knows all...   ;D

Thanks, Dear Reader JRand53.  I think.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2004, 11:23:14 AM »

Good topic, Jrand.

I agree that Ann Wedgeworth was a real standout in Sweet Dreams.  She gave the performance that all those miscast women attempted to give five years later in Steel Magnolias.

Other performers who I think virtually stole the show with their supporting roles:

Rupert Everett in My Best Friend's Wedding (a movie I really didn't care for otherwise)

Anjelica Huston in Ever After (she gave some interesting twists to a character steeped in cliche, the wicked stepmother, and made it completely her own)

Stockard Channing in Grease (she's so good, it almost doesn't matter that she's clearly in her 30s and playing a high-schooler)

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2004, 11:31:07 AM »

LOL DR Jay - I will find a better picture later....that was the only swami that came up quickly!  LOL

William E. Lurie

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2004, 11:37:16 AM »

Ben - Where is Academy CD located?  Does it specialize in Shows and Pop Standards?

I think one of the reasons that PURLIE doesn't get done (at least in professional productions) is that you have to pay a whole chorus for almost nothing.  The women are in the opening number and the finale, the men in one additional number.  Otherwise it's just the principals.  I loved the show when I saw it and I still play the CD more than many from the same period, but who wants to pay a chorus to spend most of the evening in their dressing rooms?

Regarding THE DREAMERS, Ceeste Holm got so violently ill watching one of the sex scenes she had to be rushed to the hospital.  I guess she can say "no" after all.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2004, 11:40:41 AM »

Charlie Toft this innocent doesn’t know about SilverDaddies-so
thanks for the warning Dan-in-Toronto.  Jennifer you should have heeded Dan’s advice. ;D

SS your new pic is great.  Your eye is beautiful.  

Charles Pogue I wish I could tell you how to post the pictures of your library.  

Jrand53 why not Renee Estevez instead of Mario Cantone?

Michael Shayne-ROTFLOL-well I would be if I weren’t coughing so much.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2004, 11:42:20 AM »

I think Academy is on 18th just above 5th, but I could be wrong.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2004, 11:44:49 AM »

Even though his part is miniscule, I will always remember Michael Jeter in Hair in the induction scene when he refuses to take his socks off. He's picked up by two huge men who then pull his sock off and you see the painted toenails. I laughed so hard I hurt myself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up